Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'm starting to find EU3 less appealing these days, which kind of makes me sad. EU4 is looking good so far however, less than a year until we can get our hands on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wasn't there a mod that basically setup random duchies/counties/owners on the regular CK2 map? It should be possible to use that as a base, and make a random Sengoku map version of CK2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

skipThings posted:

Wish I could make myself play this, but the wonky looking borders of the "vanilla"map really make me upset, I think using one of the maps with the more "organic/historical" looking borders is not possible without extended modding ? I guess so, otherwise I would know how to do it.

If a new map has the same province counts/names, than it's not bad at all, just a matter of dropping the right files in the right directories. But since every single alternate map I've looked at has a greatly changed province count, they all require some pretty extensive modding.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZearothK posted:

The problem is that the game needs eight great powers, and one can only be a great power if they are civilized and have at least two states, so the game crashes when it can't find any. Artesans can produce any and all missing goods, so that's a moot point.

In the Srbja-LP scenario I'm often guilty of not finishing (but one day will!), Europe is a broken backwards mess of dictatorships, theocracies and feudal rulers, while the most advanced nations in the world are in India, Iran and the Aztec successor states in America.

I see you've exported the Croats to Australia, I'm sure there is some Balkan nationalist out there furiously plotting your demise.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Patter Song posted:

So here's a fun feature I recently discovered about the Steppe Wolfe mod to EU3 that I'm curious if any other EU3 mods use. It's possible to dewesternize, that is, for a Latin tech group country to, by decision, revert to the Muslim or Chinese techgroup. I discovered this by noticing that Hassa in one of my games would collect +3 Stab, go Latin tech, then collect 5 stab and go Muslim tech and got caught in a never-ending recursive loop of Westernizing and undoing Westernization.

In Vanilla it's already possible to de-westernise, but only via Reactionary Rebels. I have a set of debug decisions I've added to my game that will independently set the tech_group and unit_type to anything I want, but it's not something I've ever allowed the AI to use. I'm hoping he put something like that in, and then forgot to make the AI not use it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

telcontar posted:

Is there any way to mod the "distant overseas" penalty in EU3? I'm playing a game as Granada and it's dumb as hell that most of my North African holdings get this penalty.

Put a strait in between Gibraltar and Ceuta/Tangier.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

damug posted:

So basically it'll be the new go-to over primogeniture?

Yeah, it sounds pretty broken to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wiz posted:

Revolution isn't always meant to occur. Honestly rebels have a pretty hard time in the later game because their stacks don't really get bigger but country stacks do.

If you want to make rebels nastier, consider giving them attrition, discipline, and morale bonuses. I like to take the hammer approach to things, so here is what I have:

code:
rebel_military_boost = {
        land_morale = 1
        naval_morale = 1
        discipline = 0.25
        leader_siege = 2
        leader_shock = 2
        leader_fire = 2
        leader_manuever = 2
        leader_maneuver = 2
        leader_naval_manuever = 2
        leader_naval_maneuver = 2
        sea_repair = yes
        land_attrition = -1
        garrison_growth = 0.25
        reinforce_speed = 0.25
}
The two different spellings of maneuver are because both are in the exe, so I wanted to cover my bases. I have a decision that fires, giving those modifiers to the NAT/PIR/REB tags. The siege/shock/fire bonuses gives them a bit better leaders (in theory, I haven't actually noticed it being any more effective), and the morale and discipline helps them stay in fights a bit longer.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

Does anyone know if the Diplomatic skill from an ambassador is taken into account for events and missions? (Border friction, $country is great!, enemy province defects)
Edit: If not, what is the point of an ambassador? I know the +diplo skill from them doesn't affect infamy.

It does not. What it does do however, is two things.

First, it improves your relations with other countries. Since it sounds like you're playing a Catholic country, hover over your relations with the Ottomans. You'll see the modifiers that increase/decrease your relations. Hire the Ambassador, and you'll see that your relations with them will decrease slower, because of the increase in your diplomatic score.

The other thing it does is increase the likeliness of your diplomatic offers being accepted. Depending upon your diplo rating and your target diplo rating, this can be fairly noticeable.

What you should be doing however, is abusing the gently caress out of the vanilla Sphere of Influence diplo bonus. Get enough countries in your sphere (OPM HRE vassals are great for this), and your diplo bonus will be so high that you'll actually increase your relations with heretic/heathen countries. Get it even higher, and you can basically force the AI into always accepting every single diplomatic action you suggest. This makes it very easy to diplo vassalize OPMs, leading to more sphere members, higher diplo rating, more vassals, etc. It's an incredibly powerful bonus, and just snowballs into a stupidly OP thing.

There is a reason many/most mods reduce/remove the diplo bonus for sphere members.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThePutty posted:

Everyone's favourite feature of HoI3 is now coming to EU3.

If I wasn't worried abuot just how slow the game would run, I'd use that. It'd end up being ridiculously unbalanced though, because even if you drop trade values down to 1/10th of their current prices, trade and production income will be incredibly high. It would make a better CK2 map, at least the Europe portion of it. Or an Indian sub-continent map for CK2, that would be interesting.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

It might help to break up that tooltip a bit, so if you conquered Alexandria, Mecca, and Libya as France you might, when looking at Egypt see:

Infidel holding our co-religionist provinces (Alexandria, Mecca, Libya) - 30
You have conquered our core province (Alexandria) -50
You have conquered a province of our culture (Alexandria) - 30
You have conquered a province on our border (Libya) -10
You have conquered a province of our friend (Hejaz - Mecca) -20
Total -140

That would be a lot more informative then just 'Aggressive Expansion' -140

That would be really nice right up until you've captured a dozen provinces and have a giant spew of lines that occupy the full screen. If there was a way to have it show the expanded information when it's only a few modifiers, and a more condensed one when there are a ton of modifiers that would be perfect.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

12 infantry 11 cav 4 cannon? That is not a good composition. never have more than 4 cav unless you are a horde.

Especially in mountains where cavalry get double land penalties. -10 on all your rolls is a great way to lose battles.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'll probably fire up Aachen to see how bad it was hit by the trade changes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

When presented with evidence that the faction system seem to inherently imbalances the game to make Ming uncompetitive with European players the answer is essentially "WAD".

It kind of has to be, in order for Ming not to be even more of a monster in SP. The game can't support different rules for SP vs MP games, so Ming has to be smashed into the ground for both formats, so it's not quite as overpowered. Ming is a rich country the size of Europe, without massive restrictions in MP it would be stupidly OP.

Just don't play as Ming in MP, play Ming in SP when you want to take over the world from the East.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Is there an easy way to edit a nation's mission? I'm playing as an Italian minor and I managed to take over Rome, but now mega-Castille has gotten a mission to restore the Holy See and it's basically game over for me. I loaded up as Castille but they can't cancel their mission for a few years.

0. Pause the game (space bar)
1. Open up the console (`)
2. Swap to Castile (tag CAS)
3. Change their mission (mission build_colony_to_city)
4. Swap back to your country (tag PIS/TUS/SIE/URB/MLO/whatever)
5. Unpause, Castile now either has a mission to build up one of their colonies to a city, or will get a random mission from the available ones. I like using build_colony_to_city because it's easy to remember, and easy to type.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wasn't it so that once you got your sliders balanced a certain way, you could essentially dictate which faction was in power via decisions with Ming?

Yes. You can get the sliders balanced so that no specific faction has a bonus, but your ruler stats can and will change that balance. Every time you get a new monarch you'll need to re-adjust your sliders to make them balance again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Graham Gremlin posted:

I just can't think of a way to model a bunch of Germanic tribes wandering around the map in a way that's easily presented to the player and actually enjoyable to play.

Play EU3, and use the Always War mod. I think it had 1 month cores, and occupied land transferred in a month as well. Countries would slowly migrate around as they gained/lost land, and it was hilarious.

It's not quite what you want, but it is similar.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

quote:

Do the playable pagans include the Aztecs from Sunset Invasion?

Yeah, the Aztecs will be playable

I really hope someone posts a Day 1 screenshot on the Paradox forums with a player run Aztecs as the Emperor of the HRE. Or Emperor of Byzantine. And then link the thread here, because I want to see the complaining.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone know if there will be another CK2 bundle sale? I want to buy it for a friend of mine, and while I don't mind spending $40 on CK2 + DLC, it would be $70 if I was to get it now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Huh, normally I treat inflation like the plague so I gather forces slower than my neighbors do, so I stay as close to 0 as possible. Guess that's why my OPM/Tiny Nation games go so badly :buddy:. I'll try minting more in the future, thanks!

10% inflation is nothing, 20% is where you need to start worrying a little. If you don't mint the gently caress out of the first decade as an OPM to gather an army/invest in merchants it tends to be a lot harder. One of the reasons I like Aachen so much, they have pretty drat nice sliders for trading, decently wealthy capital province, and after a decade I'm making more money than anyone else in the world.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while now; is it ever advantageous to switch religions? I like the looks of the production/tax advantages you get with Protestantism, but in practice all converting has ever accomplished for me is making the entire world despise me and racking up intolerance penalties while I manually convert my provinces.

As far as Reformation conversions go, I usually plan ahead to be the one that has the Reformation start on, so I get the stability free conversion + piles of ducats. Plus, the early you convert, the faster your provinces will flip, which usually means only one or two missionaries needed.

Downsides of course are that all your alliances break, anyone that was the old religion rather dislikes you, and finding new non-vassal alliances can be tricky. Which is also why you should have hordes of vassals if possible, because they make great meat shields for the inevitable wars.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox Grand Strategy: It's like going from masturbating to sex

Johan posted:

Producer Johan Anderson would agree ... "I shouldn't say this, but it's like going from masturbating to sex. It's a whole different thing."

Johan, never change.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I just pre-ordered March of the Eagles because it comes with Sengoku. This was probably a mistake. At least the pre-order discount means that with tax it was only $20.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Also, is it even possible to roll back to 5.1 on Steam? I want to give this a try, but it's apparently broken as poo poo on 5.2.

I'm pretty sure 5.1 is actually the current Steam version, 5.2 is still in beta.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Modding question: is there any reason that a triggered modifier could fire over and over again? I've been doing some stuff with MiscMods Expanded and now the Baltic/Black Sea sound toll events show up every couple of months. It doesn't happen with any of the others and I'm completely baffled by how this is possible.

The trade modifiers were changed in one of the 5.2 beta patches, and if your version of Miscmods hasn't been updated to account for that, the events will continuously fire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CK2 is on a Steam sale for the next week, $10. It's one of the featured games for the official Steam Linux client

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203770/

URL if you want to add click through stats to the Linux specific part of it

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rannos22 posted:

After playing a bit of EU3 recently, I'm starting to think all Paradox games could really use CK characters. Everything is just so boring without having idiot possessed midgets loving up your internal politics :(

I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I like that EU3 doesn't have to deal with all the character stuff from CK2, and really hope EU4 is the same way. If I wanted to deal with all that crap, I'd just play CK2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

Speaking of blockades, what does "blockade efficiency" do? It doesn't seem to affect warscore, war exhaustion, or revolt risk in the province. Also, blockading gives you income? I seriously never knew that, and England is my favorite country.

It gives you a tiny bit more income from blockades. The advisor is only worth using for 1 month to grab the Enlist Privateers decision, and then you should immediately replace him with something more useful, like a tech advisor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I'll probably try my first game as Russia because it seems like easy mode. Maybe someone like Portugal would be better though, just because you're much smaller and have less internal things to worry about. I think Russia will probably end up being one of the most forgiving starter countries, with possibly the UK if the fleet can stay intact.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

American Invasion DLC. France and Britain will have to set aside their differences to contend with Khan Jefferson and the Great Horde of Liberation sweeping across Europe from the west.

This is actually one of my EU3 scenarios. The New World starts out populated by hordes, and for shits and giggles I have the USA, Canada, and Mexico pre-exist at game start as hordes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

B B posted:

This is what I want if I want to get into EU3, right? Any idea if this will validate on Steam? CK2 is my first Paradox game, and I've been playing the hell out of it for the past week. I really want to give EU3 a try.

Yep, that's the one. I have the same thing, as well as the Steam version. Since you'll want to be using the 5.2 beta patches anyways, the downloaded version from Amazon is just as good.

Also, don't install it into Program Files, use C:\games\eu3 or something like that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Littlefinger posted:

So, has any definite how-to-win LP emerged for MotE already?

Play Russia, use your 450k starting manpower and massive economy to steamroll your way clockwise around the map.

Or at least it worked for me, and I'm terrible at this game.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

I wish I'd realized I was at war with Persia at the start of the game. I was just puttering around, getting myself organized in the west, and suddenly I'm getting messages about loosing battles WHERE?! :downs:

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise when I loaded the game, but my plan was to start with them anyway. Fighting through those mountains took forever, especially because I was still learning how battles and sieges worked.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's probably too late to get it into EU4, but a button on the military screen to pay a cost to upgrade ships to the current type would be incredible. Even if you had to pay full price again to upgrade, being able to reuse old ships (or the ones you capture) would be drat useful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I'd imagine you could open your save game file in a text editor that can tackle biggish files and search for [insert province here]. Then scroll down until you find the corresponding nationalism = x.x%. Set it to the desired amount and save.

You can actually just delete the entire line from the save. And make sure you're editing the actual province, and not the history for the province.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

You turn your back on France for one measly decade...

Yeah, a France with 100,000 men and almost all it's natural landmass went to war with about 10 alliance chains at once, from Portugal to Finland, to the Golden Horde, to Ethiopia. I have never seen such a fast collapse, I didn't even intervene until like the 8th year when I grabbed the Calais area.

I've been playing around with a broken up France in 1399, and that's not too far from what I'm currently trying out:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So, what's the best EU3 mod these days?

Miscmods or EU3+ are the two that you'll hear a lot about, both are good in their own way. Miscmods is mostly vanilla, with a bit of cleanup. EU3+ changes a huge number of things about the game, like a non-lovely Magna Mundi. (Wiz will probably yell at me for comparing them)

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Some of EU4 HRE looks nice, but there is one little thing on there that worries me. I like that there will be a modifier for Elector vassals to make it so that all the other Electors hate you, but you can also go to war to remove Elector status, and assign it to whoever you like.

So what is there to stop the Emperor from just collecting 4 vassals, and then making them all Electors? It doesn't matter if the other ones hate you, because 4 gives you a majority. And hell, just go all out and revoke/assign to a few more vassals, and end up with a full set of 7. It looks like it'll be even easier to game the HRE in EU4, which seems like the opposite of what was planned.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Cowcatcher posted:

DD says you can only make independent nations into electors

Ah, I missed that part. That pretty much gets rid of the problem, although I do wonder if it's possible to keep the number of Electors artificially low. EU3 had a few events that would revoke/grant Elector status, but if it's purely handled through diplomatic actions in EU4, it should be possible to revoke all of the Electorate except for a single vassal, who would then keep voting you in forever. That's solvable pretty easily by just having an event if the number of Electors gets below 4 that grants status to a random country.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nightblade posted:

Imperial authority decreases by 1 each year for every empty elector seat.

Yeah, I know you won't be able to pass any reforms, but you could at least stay as a permanent head until you've got things settled.

I'm just trying to find ways to break the game with just tiny amounts of information to speculate on, because Paradox hasn't opened beta applications yet :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

YouTuber posted:

I've drug Byzantium out of the gutter and expanded decently. However, I feel like I'm hosed because I cannot get an edge over the Western nations. Being so far from the Iberia region makes it impossible to colonize America so I lost that race badly. Castille has already dominated almost 80% of Africa's coast and is extremely powerful. Where do I go? East to China and Japan? Also what units should I be using? I see Muslim Musketmen far reaches of my Empire but my capital builds Pikemen. Should I be using technology from the Muslim group or are they just naturally weaker than the Eastern which are weaker than the Western?

The Persian coast and India are very wealthy, and well worth taking. Make sure you fully Westernize, including Modernizing your military, and then only build troops in provinces you have a core on (so they are built with the best troops you can use).

You'll probably find it easier to push east first, before pushing west into Castille. If you're still using antiquated troop types versus them you'll have a lot of casualties, so use the time honored human wave tactic and drown them in the corpses of your armies.

• Locked thread