Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

On later maps (i.e. past chapter 11 or so) does the General's lack of movement pose a significant problem? I'm debating which class to promote Kellam to for the first time and can't really find any information on chapter sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

So it's a lot better than Great Knight, then?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Just get merc Donny up enough and give him Leif's sword. You'll be rolling in money.

This is pretty much the best way to do it if you need to grind and don't want The Golden Gaffe.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Berserker Laurent looks like such a badass with his wizard had and all that jazz. And he's actually pretty decent since I made his father Stahl. A bit lower str than others would have, but he's still fairly solid and has great skill and speed.

I'm also thinking of changing Severa to a Sorcerer to be a Nos tank. Her magic cap would only be 3 lower than Noire or Laurent as sorcs, and her speed, skill, and defenses are all a bit higher. She also has access to Sol which is ludicrous.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You generally don't want to go for any of the endgame DLC like Infinite Regalia or R&R3 until you have your second generation fairly beefed up. This is especially true on Lunatic/L+ but even on Hard you'll want to grind a bit first.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Any. There are low level enemies there as well as high level ones, and none of them will actually attack you. They all just run to the end. Same with the gold map.

EDIT: They will counterattack if you attack them, though, and some of them have counter. So be aware of that.

EDIT2: Also there are enemies of varying levels in the EXPGrowth map. The level 30 ones will give you 100 exp unless you've reclassed, like, six times.

I had Gaius go 10 Thief, 10 Myrmidon, 15 Swordmaster, 10 Assassin, then Hero to get Sol for Noire.

By the time he was most of the way done with Assassin he was getting 8 exp from all but the level 30 ones, which were giving him 30 exp. Then again, this is Lunatic which has a higher internal level cap, but it still gets hard to level pretty quickly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Viridiant posted:

So when do you get access to more Beaststones and Dragonstones? I'm on Chapter 10 and Nowi and Panne are getting close to losing their weapons. Do any of the Bonus Box teams sell them?

The boss of chapter 10 drops a Beaststone, and the boss of chapter 11 drops a Dragonstone. The shop that opens in chapter 12 sells both.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have that. I mean I also want to skip the stupid anna TEE HEE I AM ZEE FRENCH ^_^ garbage.

Am I the only one who doesn't find that obnoxious? I think fake-French-accent Anna is hilarious.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Serifina posted:

I find her hilarious, but when you're actively grinding, it's a waste of time.

Death's Embrace is getting pretty drat close and it's that series that has the hardest stuff. It's not a bad idea to start looking at making a team for the finale.

Death's Embrace is incredibly easy to cheese if you set your team up with crappy DLC/Spotpass units and Chrom+MU. You have access to pair-up, they don't, and so it becomes a cakewalk. I've actually found that less grinding makes it easier in a lot of cases.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not actually that bad, and like almost all parents, inferior to the children anyway? I mean if you're going to talk about people getting cut, most of the parents make the list pretty early on and Donny wouldn't even be near the top of that list.

A lot of people on other sites complain about Donnel's bad caps for lategame compared to other parent characters, but here's the thing... when does that ever matter? By the time you could feasibly get your parent units to have most of their stats capped, you should have most of your child units up to a useable level and then it's completely irrelevant.

Donnel is absolutely the best midgame character, and in a game where the midgame is defined as the time between getting Donnel past the point where he needs babysitting and the time you get all of your children characters caught up to the rest of your team, that's really saying something.

SC Bracer posted:

What are you guys doing for rallybots by the way? I've been toying with the idea of two female DLC units, so that the children are free to murder their way through the maps. I'm also thinking of making a supertank Morgan with Nah as her mother, and a bunch of defensive skills.

You want a male paladin and a female valkyrie. Across the two you can get all ten rallies including all the gender-inclusive ones (strength, speed, resistance, heart), and those are the most mobile classes to do it with. The valkyrie being able to use physic or rescue when absolutely necessary is a nice bonus.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

KnoxZone posted:

They are talking about the super endgame DLC that isn't out yet in America. In it every enemy has limit break capped stats and hellish skill combinations.

If you max out your characters and use rallies and buffs, you can use any combination of characters for The Strongest One's Name. People have done it without a single galeforce or dark magic user, you can certainly do it with characters that have 3-4 lower stat points in everything.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Andronian posted:

Is anyone overly familiar with how Astra works? I'm mostly curious if it has a chance to proc other skills on each hit, like Ignis or Sol or even Lethality :unsmigghh:

But maybe all that would make it broken. Is it that good? I want to believe!

As others have said it doesn't work with other skills.

The problems with Astra are first and foremost its low proc rate, being tied with Aether and higher than only Lethality but lower than all the other abilities (skill/2 % as opposed to just skill %). It also works very, VERY badly against units with counter because you end up taking more damage from it before they die.

It also has a higher priority than all other skills but Lethality and Aether, which means that if both Astra and another skill would happen on the same attack, Astra happens instead of the other skill. This makes it terrible to use in conjunction with Sol, because you lose the healing that might otherwise prevent you from dying, and with Vengeance because in most cases that will do a lot more damage than Astra.

In short, it's one of the worst proc skills you can use in most situations. Luna and Ignis do almost as much damage a lot more often, Aether is straight-up better when you can get it, and Sol heals you. Vengeance is miles better on the specific builds it's good with (Vantage+Wrath+Nosferatu) and has a near-100% proc rate on almost all characters with Limit Break.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So basically there were eight civilians on the map and also eight Knights near Xavier and each one of the civvies had to talk with a specific knight and all eight of them had to do it to get Xavier and also there were a bunch of guys with Javelins and also unrelated Generals near Xavier that will kill the civvies with impunity and the map's very constrained and the civvies can't get through your units so you have to play Leaf's Army In Pursuit of Victory: Rotating Door Edition. Also you can't kill any of the Javelin guys or you don't get the Silver Card.

That sounds absolutely horrifying. Was Xavier even worth getting after all that?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Wallace is terrible, though.

Someone clearly didn't play on hard mode and grind him up to 20 before promotion. :cheeky:

He's actually an incredible unit if you can be assed to do that, though it's certainly a bit of a drag.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slur posted:

Shoot, I forgot that Nah couldn't get the Hero class!

Yeah, forget my previous statement about Counter; pass Armsthrift!

Yeah she can. Anyone who passes down Hero through Mercenary will pass it to daughters, it's just the dads that only pass it down through Fighter that don't, like Gaius.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well one of the major advantages Sage has over Sorcerer is the use of staves, which can be helpful in a lot of situations. But I agree, Dark Flier is a better dark magic user for a lot of reasons, though you end up having to waste a second skill slot on Iotes Shield.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Because one of the points of magic is that it's meant to do consistent, versatile damage.

And as such be better in most ways than all forms of physical damage.

I've never really understood why they make magic so much better than everything else in these games. Especially bows. FE10 is the only game where they made mages weak enough that they weren't automatically your strongest units, and actually had a passable use for archers.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It might be that Lethality works by adding their current HP to your attack, and then it all gets halved but can still be enough to kill them. Or something.

A lot of the deeper mechanics like that are still unknown, even for the Japanese community that's had several more months than us to be figuring them out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slur posted:

So any advice for R&R3 on Lunatic?

Sorcerers and Manaketes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

Fliers were never overpowered. There were maps, a lot of them, where a flier was nearly essential, but that's why they gave you so many, and usually at least one decent pre-promoted one. They were a tool the game expected you to use. It's like complaining that healers are overpowered.

Well they did all of that on top of being (in most cases) incredibly powerful units in their own right while also being more mobile and versatile than anyone else. Especially in lategame when you got access to the Delphi Shield equivalent and removed the only weakness they had. In FE7, for example, any time I've ever played it both Florina and Fiora have been by far my most useful units once they got past level ten or so and weren't made of wet tissue paper. FE9 and 10 had Jill who was a complete powerhouse even compared to other strong units, and the flying laguz were the only really useful ones. Shadow Dragon and Heroes of Light were much the same as 7 with Shiida.

In Awakening, there is very little in the way of relevant terrain, their movement range is less important because of pair-up, rescue staves, and abilities like Deliverer and Galeforce, their stats blow chunks compared to other classes, many more units have access to bows, AND they're also weak to wind and beast/dragon strength weapons which are all fairly prevalent.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Slur posted:

So because everything in R&R3 has Tomebreaker, are there any other strategies you guys have for winning?

Manaketes.

Seriously, though, a properly built Nah, Nah!Morgan, or Spotpass Tiki can solo R&R3 if you don't get ludicrously unlucky.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Armor slayers may as well not exist as far as the enemies you fight are concerned. It almost never comes up.

Armorslayers, yes. Hammers, though? I haven't personally seen one in a while, but I did have some issues with my Cynthia in one of the DLC maps (can't remember which off the top of my head) where one of the enemies was carrying a hammer and one-rounded her.

But other than fringe situations like that, though, I imagine you'll be completely fine with a GK or General. And honestly, given that you can overcome their one major weakness of low movement by pairing them with a 7-8 move class and switching to move, Generals are one of the best offensive and defensive classes in the game with a hefty amount of versatility. A lot of people will say Assassins and then Berserkers are the better physical classes, but General provides a defensive threat unmatched by anything else besides Manakete and are still only a couple points in various areas behind other offensive classes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

It really is a terrible shame.

The lack of -reaver weapons is a tragedy as well.

Yeah, that disappointed me as well. As great as Awakening is in its own right, they really cut out or otherwise neutered a LOT of mechanics from other games.

Then again, did PoR and RD have reavers in them? I don't recall ever seeing them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

So I noticed some flaws in my second godteam. They're mostly relatively minor, but they bugged me enough that I started charting out a new setup to fix them. What I'm currently thinking is...

Chrom/Sumia
Ricken/Lissa
Henry/Maribelle
Gaius/Olivia
Kellam/Miriel
Stahl/Panne
Gregor/Cherche
Lon'qu/Cordelia
Donnel/Sully
Vaike/Nowi

Noire was the biggest one that set this off. I realized Gaius!Noire had basically ended up the loser of the kids because all the caster-specced kids had Tomefaire and the physical ones had some combination of better mods, Aggressor, and flat out ridiculous class variety. Saw the double magic nuke option mentioned here, and thought it looked like a much more attractive setup. Plus, I realized Lucina and Morgan weren't actually getting too much out of Chrom/Avatar. Lucina was ending up with basically the same build she'd have with Olivia, Sumia, or even Maribelle, except with Ignis instead of Luna, and with Aggressor, Galeforce, and Limit Breaker basically assumed by default Morgan just can't find room to squeeze in Rightful King without running only one proc and giving up Faires.

I considered going back to Chrom/Olivia, but it occurred to me that Lucina doesn't really care that much about Swordmaster. If she needs a Faire, Lancefaire works fine. And Inigo likes Luna and all, but also has some trouble actually shoving Rightful King into a set without giving up major things. Meanwhile, Chrom/Sumia still gets Lucina Galeforce, and Cynthia loses 1 Mag and Lifetaker (and some caster class options, but I've always been planning to run her as a Dark Flier in the end, so I don't really mind those losses too much) and gains 1 Spd, Aether, and I guess Bowbreaker. I'm thinking Galeforce/Tomefaire/Luna/Aether would work fine for her. Or maybe drop a proc and run Lancefaire too. Whichever.

I originally swapped Ricken to Lissa and Libra to Maribelle, because I'd ended up finding that Brady wanted Libra more, but then I upgraded from there to Henry when Chrom/Sumia freed him up. Ricken/Lissa stayed even after that because on consideration I think I'm liking the idea of Sage or DK Owain with Luna a bit more than either another Nostank or a Sage/DK stuck with Astra for an offensive proc.

Panne gets Stahl because the results look slightly better than Fred. Loses Pavise, some negligible Res/Luck, and the ability to have more than 1 of Deliverer/Swordbreaker/Lancebreaker, gains 2 Spd and Bowfaire to make Parthia Warrior an option. Or a solid Double Bow Sniper, even, if I feel the need to engage in 3 range shenanigans.

Kellam!Laurent was a weird option that occurred to me while looking it ways to replace Ricken. Mag mod's still up to snuff since Kellam's a 0 there instead of a penalty, he gets Luna still, has Pavise instead of Ricken's Aegis, and has access to Renewal and various thief utility stuff which, while not great, are at least of more use to him than the Archer tree. That 0 Spd mod is about the only notable flaw I'm seeing, and I'm willing to stomach that here, I think. I considered Lon'qu, but then I'd have to replace him for Severa, and quite possibly replace another dad to fill the gap that creates and...it gets ugly. Gaius would have been simpler to implement here, but he loses out on points in Mag, Skl and Spd there and it doesn't seem worth it.

Inigo gets Gaius because...well, there's not that many options left that look good. I've heard some mention of Libra!Inigo, I think, but...that looks like it would just make him into the new Noire. Gaius gives him almost nothing class-wise, but he gets solid mods. Basically ends up a second Severa who swaps 2 Skl/Spd for Aggressor and Axefaire, which seems solid to me. He'd probably be flat-out Severa+ if Olivia's mods were less bland.

Lon'qu!Severa, Gregor!Gerome, Donnel!Kjelle and Vaike!Nah all stay because they work fine and I don't see much reason to change. Plus I've noticed while messing with weird options in the course of hammering this out that moving any of these four dads seems to lead to me making a flurry of tweaks and replacements that quickly gets ugly and confusing and ends up worse overall than just leaving them alone.

So how does all this look? Are there any major flaws I've missed that are likely to bring me back to the drawing board in a month if I implement this as-is? Or any obscure alternate pairing options I've failed to consider that might work a bit better?

You're still a lot better off running Chrom/Olivia, Henry/Sumia, Libra/Maribelle, and Gregor/Lissa. Wasting Gaius on a mother with pegasus knight is silly when you can instead put him with Sully and Donnel with Nowi, because then you aren't wasting any possible Galeforce users. Then you can put The Vaike on Cherche.

The reason you do Chrom/Olivia isn't because it makes their kids particularly better, but because doing anything else makes at least one of the other kids worse no matter what. Your current setup is screwing over both Owain and Nah pretty hard.

Your build should end up looking something like this if you want to optimize a bit more:

Chrom/Olivia
Gregor/Lissa (gives Owain everything he could ever want except sorcerer, but he does better as a hybrid like Dread Fighter anyways and this way he gets Armsthrift and Sol)
Libra/Maribelle
Henry/Sumia
Kellam/Miriel
Stahl/Panne
Vaike/Cherche
Lonk/Cordelia
Gaius/Sully
Donnel/Nowi

You can also switch Miriel and Panne's husbands around a bit if you want, say, Vantage on Sorcerer Laurent. But there are a lot of options there.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Huge waste of Cynthia's potential as a speedy Dark Flier support. She's practically built for that getting Tomefaire from Sumia. The only viable fathers I really see for her at all are Chrom or Henry, and I fully intend to use one of them... just not really sure who.

Olivia and Chrom is a fine pairing but Inigo doesn't need Chrom at all. In fact, Inigo can take a number of "odd" dads and still be spectacular. It's just gonna happen when your default class set is Mercenary/Myrmidon/Barbarian.

Right, and that's why you usually put Chrom and Olivia together. Inigo doesn't get anything particularly useful from Chrom, but unlike most of the other children he doesn't need it. Chrom with anyone else makes the resulting child worse off for it, because of his bad class pool and very limited marriage options.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

I don't think he's terrible for Cynthia, he just gives her nothing of particular use to her as a Dark Flier; she already has Luna, Aether is not that great, Bowbreaker's all she gets out of Archer.

However, the question is more whether gaining Henry!Brady is worth losing Chrom!Inigo. Honestly, I'm not sure. Henry!Cynthia is seriously incredible, but Brady'd end up with just Libra or something. I suppose it's not a huge problem for him in the end, and getting Dark Mage is pretty nice... but it seems like getting Dark Mage, Thief, and Barbarian is better.

Libra!Brady has a great use as being your primary staff user. With the bulk of your good magic users going to Sorcerer for dark magic, you'll want at least one support mage that can use physic and rescue when needed while still being able to be an offensive asset with Galeforce. He'd also be the one guy carrying around Valflame and such.

That's how I use him, given that nobody else I have barring one of my rally valkyries is able to use staves, and it's been great.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

I'm finding some of these swaps...questionable. Gregor!Owain doesn't have any negative mods, but he also doesn't have anything better than +2, and skill-wise he gets nothing out of it but Armsthrift and Sol, wasting most of Gregor's class set. And really, the dude's mods are geared towards being a caster because of Lissa, so why try and gimp his Mag to save his Str and be a mixed character when he can just pump Mag, go full caster, and be awesome at it?

Not using Gaius on one of the three kids who doesn't naturally inherit Peg means I don't max Galeforce, true, but Nah doesn't really miss it that much, and Vaike gives her Luna and Pavise on top of Sol, plus he doesn't saddle her with a negative Spd mod. Gaius!Kjelle's got nice Skl/Spd caps, but a shittier class set than Donnel!Kjelle. Vaike!Cherche does have +1 Str/Spd over Gregor, but it sacrifices Armsthrift and Astra, leaving Gerome with no offensive proc at all. Or, well. He has Lethality, technically, but...Lethality. Ugh.

I'm really not buying the overall benefit of going with any of those four over what I've got.

Your impression that stat mods matter makes me think you don't assume Limit Break on your characters.

The difference in one or two points of any stat cap other than skill is completely meaningless. You will never run into a situation where you end up exactly 2-4 damage short of killing something on a double attack, and it's fairly easy to hit the speed cap for doubling anything in the game including God Anna even with minimum speed cap Nah, after Limit Break. Plus, you won't even need to have your entire team able to be that huge of an offensive threat. It's ridiculously impractical in most situations.

Class sets and skills are the only things that actually matter for choosing parents.

Owain wants Armsthrift and Sol because they are both great skills regardless of which class you end up in. He still serves well as a magic class, or a Dread Fighter, or even a pure physical class like Hero, though doing the latter on any class besides Assassin is kind of wasted. He can do better as a Sorcerer with Henry, true, but Cynthia gets a lot more mileage out of him than Owain does because Owain has a lot of other options and, being a galeforce child, wants anything other than sorc if possible.

The reason you do Donnel!Nah is for Underdog and Sol more than for Galeforce, though it certainly does help. She's tanky enough already that having Pavise doesn't help much, because at best it'll reduce ten or so damage from Anna.

There are also other dads you can put with Cherche for Gerome, Vaike is probably not the best option for him. He's just an example of one that isn't particularly useful anywhere else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shiny777 posted:

...Underdog? Are you making GBS threads me? What's the point of getting Underdog on Nah? In-game, it's a mediocre skill at best and vastly outclassed by Aptitude, and I find it really hard to believe 15 hit/avoid is meaningful enough to be worth a slot in the deep postgame. Definitely not seeing how it beats out both Luna and Pavise.

And I'm really not seeing why stat caps should be disregarded, even with Limit Break. Sure, minimum Spd Nah can double God Anna...if you either run her as a fully Rallied Assassin with Swordmaster support and All Stats +2 or drop All Stats +2 and use an Assassin partner with Nah wielding Balmung. But those are impractical setups no one in their right mind is ever going to run seriously. Whereas a good Spd mod would let you do it without, y'know, going out of your way to pump your Spd as much as possible and allows for you to use a slower class, a less Spd-focused pair up partner, a better weapon, a better skill, etc., etc.

My initial reaction was the same when I was reading 2ch mathcrafting stuff about putting Underdog on Nah, but then I started playing around with it myself and found out that 15 hit and avoid, especially on a slower character like Nah, is a hell of a lot. It's 10 each of skill and speed worth of hit and avoid, which really does matter on the harder DLC maps considering that her regular hit rate isn't particularly stellar against endgame enemies. I wouldn't say it's better than Luna, but it definitely beats out Pavise as 15% avoid will mitigate a lot more damage in the long run than the minor amount of damage that Pavise reduces. Aegis is fine, Pavise not so much because of her stellar defense. With rallies and LB alone you're taking practically nothing from all physical sources. Even Anna hits for about ten damage depending on what you have on her and who her dad is.

As to the speed issue, I was misunderstanding how what I was saying would come out. Regardless of whether her father is Donnel or Vaike, you will need to jump through a ton of silly hoops for Nah to be able to double Anna. Either parent, however, will put her at enough speed to not be able to be doubled by her with just an Assassin support and Rallies, putting her at 66 with Donnel or 68 with Vaike. Anything else in the game she can easily double without needing anything beyond that. Not being doubled by Anna on your tankiest and slowest character is more than enough, as like I was saying before you don't NEED all of your characters to be able to double her, nor do you want to because it forces you through a bunch of ridiculous bullshit like using Swordmasters, Barracks boosts, etc.

This is all assuming, by the way, that she's a Manakete, because if you're using tanky Nah as anything else you're doing it wrong. Though I'm pretty sure even as a General she's still fast enough to not get doubled by Anna.

EDIT: Also, for the record, Aptitude is a completely worthless skill because of infinite grinding.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 20, 2013

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The post I made was in the context of near-perfect endgame builds. Obviously Aptitude is great on LTC runs or through the course of normal gameplay if you don't use DLC or grind much, but when discussing that sort of thing talking about optimal eugenics at all is silly because it will never matter.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Really, any skill is only situationally useful. If you're stat capped right now (especially with Limit Break) you have zero need for Vantage because it will never proc. Vengeance doesn't matter because you won't fail to kill the other guy anyway. Aptitude has its uses when you just play to beat the game, and most people will do just that.

That said, I don't personally see much use in Underdog. A skill that can stop working because you leveled up seems really irritating.

Vantage and Vengeance absolutely do matter even when you're statcapped. Maxed out defense isn't going to stop you from going below half against all the 80-100 damage hits that enemies put out. And vengeance helps your survivability a lot with Nos/AverNight on sorcerers.

The thing about Underdog that makes it useful on a manakete (or taguel, I suppose) is that it counts promoted units as being 20 levels higher, so a level 20 promoted unit is seen as a level 40, where a maxed out manakete is still only level 30 because it's considered an unpromoted class, so it is always active.

Wind God Sety posted:

Right, I'm sure next you'll tell me all about how Veteran, Paragon, and Armsthrift are worthless too :rolleyes:. Sure their results can effectively be achieved just by grinding/farming for longer, but there's value in speeding up that process and making it more convenient.

To be fair, Armsthrift has a very real use other than to speed up grinding in that it prevents you from running out of weapon uses mid-combat and then dying. Especially when dealing with 10-use weapons like Aversa's Night, or 4-hit weapons like Braves, that's a very significant issue even if you fill your inventory with them.

Also, it's not that those skills aren't useful as time savers in some situations, it's that you're taking Aptitude over another skill being passed down from Donnel that the child may not be able to ever get otherwise, those being Underdog, Counter, and Rally Strength.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

But they don't unless you have DLC. Which you might not. Which, even if you did, still only really come up in one that we have access to right now (the Est map). Unless you just heal all the damage away at the start of your turn, which you might do instead. Outside of that one map, neither is likely to ever have a chance to proc Vantage. As for Underdog, that means it is useful on two units. One, really, because taguel is bad and Yarne doesn't want to be stuck in that class.

You kind of missed what I was saying. My point is that you can make a case for pretty much any skill being good or not. I have no use for Underdog, but that doesn't mean it's useless.

But if you don't have DLC, you don't have Limit Break on any of your units, which completely undoes your entire point. If you're doing, say, Lunatic or Lunatic+ Grima without LB both of those skills are quite useful even with pre-LB max stats. Hell, if you don't have DLC, it's nearly impossible to get max stats on any unit in Lunatic or Lunatic+ anyways.

Aptitude/Paragon/etc. are useful while you're grinding, and otherwise they're useless. Underdog is a decent on Nah (or Manakete Morgan too, but she has a lot of better options) and is otherwise useless. We were talking about endgame, and only one of those two cases has endgame application.

And again, as I said, Paragon can be taken on anyone without losing out on anything. That's not true for Aptitude, which requires you to give up on passing down anything else from Donnel.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Nakar posted:

Well I say that, and then decide not to give Kjelle Galeforce after all. :v:

Basically my current analysis is that one of Vaike/Donnel/Gaius goes to Tharja/Sully/Nowi, and it's a pretty reasonable conclusion:
  • Two of the fathers pass Armsthrift (Vaike, Donnel). Two pass Galeforce (Gaius, Donnel). All pass Sol, but Gaius must pass Sol; Donnel and Vaike can pass Counter or Rally Strength, Vaike can pass Wrath and Axefaire, and the child can still go Hero for Sol.
  • Two fathers pass Thief (Vaike, Gaius). Thief isn't that useful but Locktouch, Movement+1, Lucky Seven, and Acrobat are all decent. Acrobat is actually good for a General, which Kjelle and/or Vaike's daughter can do.
  • All three girls presumably want Galeforce, but only two will get it because Vaike doesn't pass Pegasus Knight.
  • Two of the three girls desire Armsthrift (Kjelle, Noire). Nah can roll as a Manakete with Dragonstone+ which is infinitely purchaseable, quite strong, and doesn't need to be forged (nor can it be).
  • Other skills: Vaike passes Luna and Pavise, which Kjelle already has. Gaius passes Astra and Vantage, which Kjelle already has.
  • Nah has the worst SPD modifier. Gaius passes the best SPD modifier.
  • Kjelle is faster and has better SKL as a Hero than Nah, and is more likely to want and need Axefaire/Armsthrift/Helswath than Nah, who has Manakete. As a Hero Kjelle also has no weaknesses; Nah always has a Dragon weakness.
  • Noire has the best MAG modifier and will probably be a Dark Flier support unit since she lacks Aggressor or Tomefaire. Therefore, she benefits most from the Troubador tree, and is hurt the least by Donnel's middling SPD (Vaike and Gaius both pass excellent SPD modifiers) since SPD does not matter in Pair Up.
  • Noire is the only one of the three who can be a Sorcerer, and thus benefits the most from Armsthrift because Aversa's Night basically requires Armsthrift. It would also mitigate Tomefaire's loss (because Tomefaire would often get bumped for Armsthrift/Limit Breaker anyway). Kjelle benefits second-most due to Helswath/Brave Axe, but both of those are easily bought or farmed.
  • Noire is either blonde or a ginger with Vaike or Gaius as a father; Donnel gives her blackish-purple hair. Obviously this makes much more sense!
Kind of a tough call, but my thought now is Sully x Vaike, Nowi x Gaius, and Tharja x Donnel.

Were you the one doing your MU with Nah? I'm too lazy to go back and check.

You make a lot of good points, I also like putting Donnel with Tharja if I'm not giving her MaMU despite a lot of other people saying it's a bad setup for her. It gives Noire everything she wants except Vantage, and while that's kind of a big hit to her viability as a sorc she ends up having a lot of other options when you already have access to 3 or 4 solid sorcerers in MU, Morgan, Laurent, and possibly Brady.

I still think giving Nah a +speed dad just for that sake is a waste. She can already double nearly anything in the game even with a -speed father, yet still can't get to the point of doubling Anna without barracks buffs even if you have Gaius. He gives her a lot of other useful things, though, that Donnel wouldn't, so he's still solid.

Vaike!Kjelle just seems odd to me, though. She benefits a lot more from Galeforce than Nah does, and that ends up beating out a lot of other considerations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

So I'm starting my Lunatic run.

I'm not sure this is actually fun in any sense of the word. :( It seems to be literally nothing but RNG fuckery because there's too much poo poo and units far too fragile to come up with any coherent strategy beyond "well, Frederick can hopefully tank them!"

Even without DLC access, the game on Lunatic starts ludicrously difficult and then curves down pretty sharply once you have a small group of units 10 or so levels ahead of the curve compared to the enemies.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Get swordbreaker. Wyrmslayers are really bad news for her if you run into one.

You also could have gone with Underdog but it's only available if Donnel passes it down directly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The ultimate streetpass bullshit team is Snipers using longbows with Lethality, Pass, Limit Break, Miracle, and Counter. This setup guarantees a kill on their softest target or just Lethality procs happening, and any attack they hit you with either risks a counterattack from bows or procs counter with the risk of miracle screwing them over. Remember, the win condition is for your team to kill even a single one of their units so they have to restart, so a team that's guaranteed to gently caress them up before they finish with it is the best option.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 18, 2014

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Level 15 Miriel with 7 Magic

:suicide:

Awakening has made me forget about the horrors of terrible level RNG. That's just awful.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I love this game, but I wish the difficulty curve wasn't so busted. I was playing through chapter 12 last night and I had to reset a country times because I misplaced Olivia... But then I realized that a level 3 Olivia was basically my only liability and every single regular in my army killed other units in a single combat phase basically every time. :effort:

Even Cherche, who you get on that level, was curbstomping anybody slow enough to eat a double from her, which was like half the map or more. I mean, don't get me wrong, watching my gang obliterate any poor chumps who decide to step to me is great, but it kinda takes the fun out of it a little bit when enemies repeatedly suicide into me because there isn't anybody they can attack who won't kill them.

Yeah, the difficulty of Awakening is kind of unfortunate. Hard gets really easy really quickly, and Lunatic is bullshit RNG for the first several chapters and then gets either really easy if you're only using a tiny group or stays bullshit if you aren't.

The only way I'm really able to make Hard actually somewhat difficult, though it's more just tedious than anything, is trying to keep all of my units up to roughly the same level with each other, which is just an exercise in repetition.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

And yet still the best healer you get. Lissa is so bad. :sigh:

In what universe can a Lissa end up bad enough to be not one of the best healers across all FE games?

Seriously I've never had her end up not completely amazing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

Woah, lots of good info since I last checked. Thanks for the effort guys.

...say how does that Marribelle!Lucina!Morgan thing work for singlehandedly making GBS threads all over Apotheosis? I'd like to smurf my way through Apotheosis with an absolute minimum of grinding.

It's something along the lines of getting Sorcerer Morgan paired up with a pure support Lucina (Dual Strike+, Dual Guard+, etc.) with the highest possible Magic value, hence Maribelle. Armsthrift with a forged Aversa's Night lets you tank the entire game at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are a few spare males, I think, if you use everyone. Remember that Anna and any of the other units you get after chapter 12(?) can't have romantic supports with anyone other than MU.

• Locked thread