Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

ShakeZula posted:

According to the Itunes charts, Josiah and Kris are in the most danger. Danielle finished in the top 10, so this might be the week that carries her to the end Cassadee Pope-style.

This result would also leave the Swon Brothers as the only male competitors left, not to mention reducing the new coaches' teams down to one each while Blake and Adam keep their full contingent.

Edit: Nailed it. I think the right two went home tonight.

Had Josiah done The Look of Love instead of that Coldplay poo poo he'd still be around. That performance was a revelation. I just wish Holly Tucker and Amber Carrington would go home already. Neither of them should have made it past the knockouts. Give me Ryan Innes back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I'd trade Holly for Ryan in a second, but I like Amber. Still not totally sold on the Swon Bros.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Crunk Abortion posted:

Had Josiah done The Look of Love instead of that Coldplay poo poo he'd still be around. That performance was a revelation. I just wish Holly Tucker and Amber Carrington would go home already. Neither of them should have made it past the knockouts. Give me Ryan Innes back.

Josiah definitely suffered due to the song choice, which is especially puzzling since Usher just found his sweet spot last week and decided to go a completely different direction.

I would agree with trading Holly for Ryan. Amber is still my dark horse pick to win the whole thing though.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Crunk Abortion posted:

Give me Ryan Innes back.
Me, too. Let's make a White House petition.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Josiah definitely suffered due to the song choice, which is especially puzzling since Usher just found his sweet spot last week and decided to go a completely different direction.

I would agree with trading Holly for Ryan. Amber is still my dark horse pick to win the whole thing though.

Man I listened to the studio version Josiah did of Starlight, and he really did kill it. For some reason I liked him a bunch more than Dez Duron, even though he was sorta the same.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Because I guess she doesn't have anything better to do, Jennifer Hudson is going to be an Idol judge next season. They're apparently trying to get Clarkson, Aiken and Lambert, though I saw something stating that Clarkson was not interested. I'm concerned that having a panel who have all been through the Idol wringer will turn the show into a lovefest, but I hear Nigel Lythgoe's on the way out and they're making major changes to the format so maybe a lovefest is the goal. My wishlist: more rigid theme nights, no more bad singers/gimmick auditions, 90 minutes max runtimes (shrinking to an hour once we hit the top 8). Anyone else care to holler into the abyss?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Christopher Irvine posted:

Because I guess she doesn't have anything better to do, Jennifer Hudson is going to be an Idol judge next season. They're apparently trying to get Clarkson, Aiken and Lambert, though I saw something stating that Clarkson was not interested. I'm concerned that having a panel who have all been through the Idol wringer will turn the show into a lovefest, but I hear Nigel Lythgoe's on the way out and they're making major changes to the format so maybe a lovefest is the goal. My wishlist: more rigid theme nights, no more bad singers/gimmick auditions, 90 minutes max runtimes (shrinking to an hour once we hit the top 8). Anyone else care to holler into the abyss?
I actually thought that having a former Idol contestant/winner as a judge is a great idea since they have better knowledge of what the contestants are feeling going through the competition and could probably give better advice than anyone else (especially in the early live shows when everyone tends to be nervous). I would've preferred Lambert over Hudson, but she might be alright. :shobon:

Also, I disagree about the bad singer auditions. They are what make those episodes fun to watch. <:mad:>

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Considering The Voice is crushing it in the ratings with a lovefest type environment, it wouldn't surprise me if Idol switched to that also.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
I think Michelle's performance tonight was my favorite ever in the short season and a half I've watched this show.

Edit: I also liked Amber again and I think Danielle is overrated. Sasha was my least favorite of the night. I think holly and Sasha go home but who knows.

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 28, 2013

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Blake's song was terrible. Country isn't my thing anyway but this was like a weird alt-rap sample abomination. Is that what mainstream country is like now?

tuckfard posted:

I think Michelle's performance tonight was my favorite ever in the short season and a half I've watched this show.

I wouldn't say best ever straight away but it was goddamned marvelous. I kinda need her and Sarah in the finale.

Judith, meanwhile, has completely disappeared up her own rear end. That was a horrible idea. I'm sure she's an earnest person who does charitable work out of a good place but I feel like it's being whapped on our noses more and more How Great She Is.

e: Oh my holy gently caress Amber :stare: I think I liked that more than the Adele version. Like by quite a bit.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 28, 2013

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

e: Oh my holy gently caress Amber :stare: I think I liked that more than the Adele version. Like by quite a bit.
Amber did awesome. That was terrific. Michele was great as well. Everyone else was good but those two were my favorites of the night.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah Judith is last on the itunes chart from last night and this probably spells the end of her. I think we lose either her or Sasha tonight, and then I think Blake loses one of his backup country acts.

I am kinda torn on Danielle. She has a good voice, but really doesn't go out of her limited range at all. Within that range she sounds amazing and country songs sure aren't going to force her to do anything outside of it. If I have one complaint on the voice, it's that the singers can really just do the same song every week like Danielle currently is. There's no reward or expectation to try different things or push the envelope of your singing ability. Danielle is going to make the final 3 and I guess we will see if she can win it all with just the country vote. She better hope there isn't a 2nd country person in the final alongside her. She will definitely be the opening act of Blake's 2014 summer tour though.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Haven't watched the episode yet, but was interested in what all the performers did so I checked wikipedia.

Saw Skyfall on there.

YouTube'd it.

:stare:

Holy poo poo. Besides the planet-sized balls it takes to try an Adele song, she killed it so hard.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I really do hope that Judith is removed from the competition soon because it would give Adam something to be worried about. I still feel like he's coasting along in this competition week after week because he feels like he has this thing locked.

That said... Michelle is so great! I really want her in the final two.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If the Itunes charts are anything to go by, Judith and Sasha are gone this week. I have no problem with Judith being eliminated, but it would suck to see Sasha go before any of Blake's people. Sadly it appears Danielle hit #10 on the singles chart, which I believe means her votes carry over to the finale. This would be her second song to do so, which might make her unbeatable if she reaches Final 3.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah, Michelle made me actually enjoy a Bruno Mars song. She's my favorite right now, not to win it but just to watch perform. Sarah has the best voice and is my 2nd favorite.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Danielle did a very good version of a pretty crappy tune. She's definitely got a future locked up in country music, but I don't see her winning. Her iTunes bump was probably a sentimental one that didn't have much to do with her actual performance as much as it did the song.

ShakeZula posted:

This would be her second song to do so, which might make her unbeatable if she reaches Final 3.

Or maybe not. Has anyone else made it to the top ten this season?

courtney_beth posted:

That said... Michelle is so great! I really want her in the final two.

You're in luck because The Voice has a final three so she's all but guaranteed a finale spot if she keeps it up.

e: Oh and if I never hear "Diamonds" again it'll be too soon. It's just no good without the 90s 3D demo in the background from SNL.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 29, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Thankfully, Danielle was #12 on the chart at the 10am deadline, and didn't reach top 10 until afterwards. It would be nice if Sarah could score a top 10 song though. I'm not sure if breaching the top 10 after the deadline still gives you the bump for the finale, but I think carrying those multiplied votes to the finale is pretty bullshit anyways. I haven't been disappointed with a winner on the voice yet, hopefully this year isn't the first.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

That Sasha Allen/Swon Brothers duet was really good. I'm definitely going to miss Sasha if she goes home tonight.

Edit: Woohoo Sasha! Although this is bad news for Holly.

Edit2: Huh, I guess not. Didn't see Sarah getting eliminated at all, and I really don't agree with it. Hopefully the voters start turning on Blake now. Don't want him having three of the final four.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 29, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Welp this season is a joke.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
'murica has spoken!

I'm glad Swon Brothers made it though. I think it would be silly for them to win but I want to keep watching them

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Not too surprised. I think Sarah went home a little early but I don't know how much staying power she had. As long as Michelle and Amber make the finals I'm cool, and while I don't see the Danielle train derailing anytime soon, I think Sasha is a top 3 singer.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
So that leaves the coaches with the following:

Adam Levine
- Amber Carrington

Blake Shelton
- Danielle Bradbery
- Swon Bros
- Holly Tucker

Usher
- Michelle (YAY!)

Shakira
- Sasha Allen

Ouch. So it's a country year this year? Is it possible Blake could make it a threepeat?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Blake's odds seem really good now, but Holly and the Swons are probably gone next week barring disaster/transcendence, and that evens things out. Of the remaining country artists, only Danielle and Amber have a real shot at winning. Of course, they're both near-locks to make the Final 3, so the odds of a country winner are pretty strong. Michelle has the best non-country chance to win, then Sasha (though I don't think she'll make it all the way).

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I've stopped watching results shows because I've slowly come to realize they're boring, but those results truly surprised me. Really thought Holly was a goner. Surprised Sarah is a goner. Danielle is a voting juggernaut so it might be a double Blake elimination next week BUT if Sasha does another lame performance next week (I didn't like her song yesterday but I am a huge fan) then she's definitely getting the boot.

I doubt it'll be a Blake three-peat, but the final three is going to be INTENSE.

Go Michelle!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
I'm really bummed out about Sarah. Did anyone else catch Adam saying "I hate this country!" near the end of the broadcast? Lucky for him it wasn't on-camera.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I have no idea how :911: kept Holly over Sarah, that's really dumb. I didn't love Sarah's song, but I thought it was a lot better than Holly's. Sasha can go home any time, I thought she was decidedly mediocre.

I just want a Michelle/Amber finals though. If the Swon bros and Danielle make it through, then ugh.

Still lollin' at Usher calling Carson Jimmy Neutron though.

Does NBC get all the cash from the iTunes sales, or do the actual artists walk away with anything? I remember the last few weeks always have top 10 songs, and if the artists get a cut of that it's probably a pretty nice consolation prize even if they don't win.

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 29, 2013

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

I'm really bummed out about Sarah. Did anyone else catch Adam saying "I hate this country!" near the end of the broadcast? Lucky for him it wasn't on-camera.
Haha Adam is awesome.

I'm also surprised they kept Holly over Sarah but Sarah's performance last night was pretty forgettable.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm throwing my voting weight behind Amber - she totally won me over with Skyfall. I think Blake obviously has the deck stacked in his favor but another Blake win might be bad for the show. I don't want things feeling inevitable.

By the way, Usher has won me over, he's really loosened up and seems to actually be having fun rather than trying to have fun, if that makes sense. Also I love that his final singer standing is Michelle. She's so great. :D

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Idolnews: No surprise here, but still - good riddance. eta: Nicki is officially out as well. What a shame.

Voicenews: The shows on June 10 and 17 are going to be two loving hours long. Learn a lesson from Idol and quit bloating up!

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 31, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Shakira's cleavage brought it's A game tonight. Go Amber and Michelle :ohdear:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

That was a good song choice by Adam, and Amber crushed it. Could be a big hit on Itunes.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Ursh seemed way off tonight, especially in his first song choice.

ShakeZula posted:

That was a good song choice by Adam, and Amber crushed it.

She just might be my new favorite. Both songs were absolutely incredible.

Swons or Holly are going home.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

She just might be my new favorite. Both songs were absolutely incredible.

Swons or Holly are going home.

If the Itunes charts are anything to go by, Holly is toast. Michelle is currently in the Top 10, which would be huge for her if it holds (that vote bonus for the finals would give her a real chance to beat Danielle).

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

Shakira's cleavage brought it's A game tonight.

Yep.

I like how Blake and Adam, in their remarks about the songs, both pretty much said, "Yep, that was a good choice because a bunch of mouthbreathers are going to buy it on iTunes, well done [opponent]", and that Blake's drinking is totally out in the open.

Did anyone else get a she-is-fuckin-crazy vibe from the Taylor Swift bit?

And again, where does the money from the iTunes sales go?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Michelle is currently at #4 on the Itunes chart, which means she stuck around in the Top 10 through the 10am deadline and should get a big vote boost. She really is the only one left with the Itunes buys to compete with Danielle in the finals. All I can hope for now is for Michelle and Amber both to make Final 3 and Danielle not to win.

Edit: And if I had to guess, Holly is going home tonight.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Schiavona posted:

And again, where does the money from the iTunes sales go?
These are the kinds of questions nobody comes back from.

The Voice is so boring right now. Too many country songs.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Atticus Finch posted:

The Voice is so boring right now.

Actually I think it's the 2-hour runtime, which is too long even if there isn't so much filler and interminable Christina Milian segments. Seriously try skipping the Monday show and watch the hourlong performance recap on Tuesdays instead. It's way better and not just because things like the Taylor Swift reveal getting spoiled in hour one don't happen. Granted you can't vote with the live watchers, but I feel like most people have picked their pony by now.

Atticus Finch posted:

Too many country songs.

Having said all that I'll agree that there are too many boring country songs, many of which we ffwded. Traditional (or as Blake would have it, "Hardcore") country doesn't play for mainstream audiences, and stuff like "Okie Dokie from Muskogee (Who Don't Smoke Weed or Drugs Y'all [Yee-haw])" isn't converting anyone watching The Voice, the studio audience included. They freaking exploded for Michelle doing a current single and it made me so drat happy but I imagine they were bored stiff before that number. On the other hand, Amber did as traditional as traditional country gets with "Crazy", the difference being that it's not niche as gently caress and is an all-time great song. And what happened? The crowd went nuts for her. Anyway I'm overexplaining this probably but country isn't the problem. It's lovely songs.

Oh and if Sasha didn't go last she'd be in as much trouble as Holly.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I wasn't too worried, but I'm really glad to see Sasha and Amber survive. I get the feeling the Swons are losing support quickly, as however likeable and fun they are nobody really wants a duo to win The Voice. Danielle is bulletproof, so I'm hoping it's Swons and Sasha gone next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Are they eliminating two acts next week? I assumed it would be one (Swons) and have a 4-person finale again. And look at that, it would be one per judge again if they eliminate the Swons (they'll eliminate the Swons)!

• Locked thread