Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Paradoxish posted:

You know, I took a pretty long break from this game because I had two games in a row ruined by a bug. My first game back? Ruined by the same god drat bug. Pretty deep into a classic ironman game, and a Muton/Berserker group and Cyberdisc group teleport dead center into my squad while I'm already fighting another two groups of Mutons. This was at the beginning of a landed abduction ship mission, near the little loading bay area at the back. I lost two Colonels before recovering, and then just walked through the map to the bridge or whatever since every single normal alien had magically appeared in that one tiny area.

Goddamn. I started a classic game the day XCOM came out, and eventually beat it. "That was pretty good, I'll replay this on ironman when the camera issues and teleporting aliens are fixed" I thought to myself and went back to other games.
:negative:

So did they ever fix the camera in huge UFOs? Or how about returning the equipment of troopers that are wounded or in psi training etc. instead of making you click though everyone and take it off piece by piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Onmi posted:

I have my troopers return equipment while wounded, not while in Psi-Training. What was the camera problem in huge UFO's?

The camera would freak out when in the top level of the huge UFOs, could get stuck so you couldn't see anything, or sometimes when clicking to go somewhere you'd click through to the level underneath, sending your mans on a crazy death race.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

Also why is it called "Enemy Within" if there's no enemy...uh...within?

The Enemy Within is your human weakness! Replace it with Mecha parts and geneneering!

Having SGT Punchy McMechsuit on my team seems like I'm even less likely to use SHIVs though. Would be nice if they got some updates too. Maybe I can Meld in the discarded parts of my troopers?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Remind me: Does anything happen to the mind melded guy if you stun the mind melder?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Henry Scorpio posted:

Haven't seen this posted...

One of the hay bales explodes and throws hay into the camera when the MEC pushes the Mechtoid down to its knees ... before he puts him through the wall :black101:

The more I see mechtoids and mech troopers the more I wonder why they have no head armour. Kinda a shame if you're reduced to torso in a massive robot suit only to by killed by some kid with a .22 rifle or eat a poison spit to the face.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Andre Banzai posted:

1) If XCOM faces the organization employing meld as well, we're not much different than they. At least we'd agree with them that humanity is better off "evolved" this way. And yeah, the Ethereals wanted to "guide" us, didn't they?

I don't get this line of thought at all. XCOM using meld in no way whatsoever makes them the same as the aliens. The Ethereals apparently enslave entire races and go around invading planets to test new races for <whatever>. We've seen nothing to indicate XCOM wants to "enhance" humanity at large any more than they want to draft the entire planet into nanofibre vests, hand them a laser pistol and force them to invade some unsuspecting world for a lark.

XCOM is a small elite unit, and I'm going to go ahead and assume any troopers being melded volunteer for it, since making supersoldiers against their will would seem to run serious risks of them twisting your head off with their giant robot hands as soon as they get back in shape. If it turns out we actually drag screaming soldiers down to Shen's lab to lop off their limbs and then use drugs/psi to keep them under control, then yeah, then I'd be worried XCOM had taken a darker path, but until then it just seems to be a case of you using the alien's tech against them, much as you do with plasma guns.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

It's volunteering, but then it's volunteering in the "so, if you don't agree to have most of your body replaced with cybernetic parts then the aliens will exterminate humanity sense".

Kinda like The Volunteer doesn't really have a choice.

Volunteering for the military means accepting you may be killed or crippled. This is especially true in wartime, and double-super-especially true when the war is against highly advanced aliens. Anyone joining XCOM as a trooper must know it's almost certain they'll be killed, but they are willing to do so anyway because otherwise the aliens will exterminate humanity, so there's not really any greater pressure to be meched. Besides, I doubt they'd need to pressure anyone into doing it, there's always the hardcore that are willing to do anything to win, especially in an elite force. I would expect there'd be enough people keen to take any steps necessary to strike at the aliens that they wouldn't need to pressure anyone who wasn't keen on the idea into it.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 26, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Catts posted:

Honestly, punching a sectoid into a car so hard it explodes should give the rest of the squad a temporary Will boost.

This is the best idea.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

Thanks for the ad hominem, I guess? I'm trying to point out that biotechnology isn't some all encompassing threat to humanity, and I'm pointing out that there exist other moral views of all this besides your bioconservative stance. Recognizing and disagreeing with your stance doesn't mean throwing all morality out of the window.

Just going to add that I agree with both your position on technology and that the mind disintegration example is a very strange argument to bring.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

So is anyone else loving the metal-as-gently caress :black101:sectopod beatdown:black101: one of the mech troopers was dishing out? This is gonna be great.

I did, but it seems to be the same in every trailer. I guess there's just one kill animation that plays every time you melee kill them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

amuayse posted:

I liked how the bio aug trooper doesn't have any sleeves on his shirt. No modesty for the genetically enhanced I guess.

When you give up part of your humanity by taking super alien steroids you're not gonna not show off how swole it makes you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Welmu posted:

Then you're in luck: in the PAX panel demo, upon discovery, a mectoid went into overwatch while his sectoid buddy scurried into cover and gave him a psi-shield.

It's probably just because Mechs can't use cover.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Reading the RPS interview from a few days ago and I noticed a few things that were new to me:
You auto-capture all Meld that hasn't self-destructed if you kill all the aliens.
You can respec your gene mods.
They mention upgrades "for mechs and robotic units", so I guess SHIVs do get some love too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
As a bit of an aside, did Xenonaughts ever get anywhere? I remember being excited about it in the runup to EU's release.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ChrisXP posted:

Couldn't see much discussion about this gameplay vid:

Official Narrated Gameplay Demonstration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3AwytdPh8

Was it not posted yet?

XCOM just doesn't understand how armour works :(

Not played in a while, but the needle grenade says it does 3 damage and then hits the thin man for 4, didn't think explosives had ranges.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

*Camera focues on Sectoid mind merging a Mechtoid, shield appears on it*
Next turn
"Woah, their mech has a shield somehow! :stare:"
"I wonder who that Sectoid is merging with? If we kill it, we can kill both! :eng99:"

I'm fairly disappointed they still don't indicate who you'd have a shot on when moving to any given spot, sometimes with camera angles n' weird cover you move to somewhere that should be a perfect flanking spot only to find you can't actually shoot at your target at all.

Also, yeah, gently caress the VIPs and they endless sound bytes. I don't know how they could make that and think "Yeah, that sounds good". Makes me want to leave them to the aliens.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

amanasleep posted:

What you are talking about is very difficult to program, patently unrealistic, and unnecessary. The correct Developer response is to fix the LOS and cover bugs on the maps, which they have pledged to do already.

What are you talking about? It's not difficult to program, it's something the game already calculates for the space your selected soldier stands in. It's not unrealistic (as if half the information the UI shows is realistic anyway) because the problem is caused by the isometric and fixed angle camera, as an actual soldier on the ground you'd be much better able to judge where you can shoot. And it is necessary as it's an incredibly frustrating mistake to make as a player, but one that can be avoided (when not in Ironman) by constant saves and reloading when needed at a cost in time wasted.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

amanasleep posted:

It definitely is totally unrealistic, if for no other reason than if the soldier is moving from a position with no LOS on enemies to one with LOS on 3 enemies (for instance) then this would turn the UI into shield scanning on crack. The UI would basically tell you what was around every corner.

Huh? I'm talking about only enemies you can already see, so no it wouldn't. Obviously you shouldn't be told if you'll have LOS on unspotted aliens, I didn't think I had to spell that out. There's zero reason not to tell you if you'll have LOS on a potted enemy, it's just frustrating and poor UI.

amanasleep posted:

In any event, Ananda Gupta has officially ruled that they are not doing this in EW, so it's a moot point.

My initial post was "I am disappointed they are not doing this"...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

amanasleep posted:

Why punish them for not knowing the difference between half cover and full cover?
Why punish them for not understanding the RNG?
Why punish them for dashing into the Fog of War?

These are all terrible examples. Cover/half cover is explicitly shown by the UI, as is the RNG on shots, while dashing into the fog is A) not always a bad thing and B) an error in strategy, not mechanics based frustration, when it is.

You just seem to be against the UI being useful because it doesn't bother you personally. This is exactly how games end up with poor UIs, game developers and sometimes hardocre testers learn the rules off by heart as they are being implemented and never consider that for the average user nothing is explains and they just have to trial and error their way through it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Edgecase posted:

I'm not sure what replay that's from, and the grid is turned off so it's hard to say for sure. However, if that guy is against the side of the tractor, I think the one-square lean into the corner square would in fact be just enough to put the Mechtoid in LOS, yes.

You can see them take their move here. They wanted to move their MEC forward to shoot and it appears, visually, they should be able to shoot from the spot they choose to go to, but as it turns out there's not actually LOS.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Started on Classic. poo poo was tough and I was losing alot of countries, so it looked like an impossibility so I restarted on Normal. It's kinda simple after Classic. Well it was until I reached the Slingshot battleship mission. Got my best crew wiped out by a sectopod.

I finally started my 2nd ever game (First was back at release. both Classic) and I figured I may as well try Slingshot for something besides hats. First mission was ok. It's weird to have a random criminal as the highest ranking Xcom soldier though. 2nd mission was a pain because I thought activating things would give me more time, like on bomb missions, but that was not the case. Is there something in the UI I am missing that lets you know when a countdown is extendable vs absolute? Early Muton capture nicely coincided with getting South America covered though, so my crew is rocking lasers and light plasma now. Although I'm not sure about taking out a Battleship at this stage, seems like a pretty big jump.

I also hosed up and lost the USA and my satellite there, kept looking in engineering to build interceptors and then researching flight/power tech to unlock them. Shortly after losing the USA I remember you build the drat things via the hanger. Whups :suicide:

Also also hosed up a little on my first terror mission. Forgot about delayed zombification and parked my Assault next to a dead civvie who then woke up and punched her for 9 of her 10 HP.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Lima posted:

^ The Battleship in Slingshot isn't that tough as the alien types scales to your progress - except that one baddie that's hardcoded to charge at you if you take too long. The bridge section is also closed off, so it's a bit smaller than a regular battleship.

That's good to know, thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Huh, Slingshot's Battleship wasn't hard at all. So I now have a bunch of battleship tech to research on month 2. I know the name is "Slingshot", but this seems a bit much.

And the camera is still awful on multi-level buildings/UFOs :sigh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Tingling Sensation
Kill an unseen enemy detected by a specially modified soldier in single player <--Two achievements linked to the squids? (That and the strangulation one) Or another enemy type?

You can also sense nearby unspotted guys with the sensor skin upgrade and kill them without spotting them normally, e.g. MEC punch through a wall, so it might not just be invisible squids. And presumably evil Xcom has ghost armour/invisibility grenades just like you do. They might let Ethereals go invisible too!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm sure I read somewhere they were including the 2nd DLC in with EW with a similar "Do you want to do these missions?" prompt as Slingshot.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Speaking of this map and unlikely failures, just had it and the upper right pack was 2 Mutons and my game's second ever Berserker, so I wanted to capture it (The first one died in a hail of bullets when I forgot about Close and Personal). Set stuff up so the Mutons had poor shots and my squad could lure over the Berserker with shots until he was in arc thrower range. My Support trots over, 90% stun chance: Fail! No problem, kill the Berserker, kill the Mutons, reload...Cyberdisk wanders out of the fog and grenades 4 guys for 5 damage each :xcom:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
There's a few tradeoffs. If you take invis skin you don't have detection skin, for one. The skin invisibility also only kicks in if you end a turn, unspotted, in high cover, you can't fade out when someone else can see you and you can't move while invisible.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
A bunch of that is already confirmed. Not many (any?) new techs, new stuff is rolled into existing techs. New building for MECs/Genes which get adjacency bonuses from workshops/Labs respectively. Tech progression and soldier ranks is being slowed down on Classic and Impossible (and perhaps a bit overall?). Pretty sure they already said they are not touching Psi, which is a shame, but maybe with the panic rework the Psi Panic will be less useless.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Ah, Berserkers! My PC grinds to a shuddering halt each time they do their free move towards whoever shot them. I dread the day I meet more than one at once and hit them with AoE.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Don't the last few aliens go into Rambo mode and get told where you are to avoid the "Hunt that last guy down for an hour" syndrome?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

jng2058 posted:

However, the masters of PR decree that "thou shalt not vary from thy talking points" and since these guys like staying employed, it's all "we're not talking about that yet" and "right now we're talking about THIS." Which is why the most interesting parts of Gupta's appearance on Three Moves Ahead was when they moved away from Enemy Unknown and talked Twilight Struggle.

I'm sure they said they'd be talking about the new strategic stuff before the end of the month, but everything recent has been the same old. Time's ticking!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Drifter posted:

Don't know if it was posted here, but

For the UK site, it works out to £17.99 after the 20% discount. On GMG it has a 10% discount and is £17.99. Huh.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Because I bought an Xcom game from GreenManGaming (The Bureau in my case) I got a coupon code today for 25% off Enemy Within, which stacks with the 10% preorder bonus (so 25% off the $26.99 preorder price). I based on the email it's a code just for me, but if you purchased either game from them, check your email for a code.

Huh. I bought both XCOM EU and The Bureau from GMG and they haven't sent me any coupons.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Veotax posted:

Giant Bomb has a preview up, shows the other kind of Exalt mission.

So, uh, when Xcom agents die they go bald. Is that a new bug? My guys always wear helmets so I have no idea if it currently happens.

Mortabis posted:

The AI would have to actually work properly and not just teleport enemies around until you see them (and sometimes after if you're cloaked) in order for that to be viable.

Thought EW was removing teleporting?

Since covert ops agents can only use pistols, I hope the foundy upgrades work now.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Kalko posted:

A nice touch I noticed in the Rev3 video is that when those guys drop from the sky you briefly hear a helicopter. I wonder if alien-dropping is now accompanied by a UFO flyover sound bite.

On the other hand, I kinda dislike the Exalt making the alien-scuttle sound when they walk.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Mortabis posted:

Mechtoids look fairly dangerous, and sectopods are supposedly getting buffed. Plus there's seekers. I think together those will cover the bases of hard-rear end enemies that will scare you in the late game.

Aren't they buffing the Muton family too? I think the idea is Mechtoids appear around when Mutons currents appear and the rest of the aliens all move up a step.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
New GMG 25% off code up:
GMG25-7VBH8-67CAC
Works for EW for a total of 35% off.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Alkydere posted:

At least we're getting more grenade options now. Needle Grenades (Big AOE, probably doesn't destroy weapon fragments, does not destroy cover), and Stealth Grenades (cast cloak on all units in an area) and I think there was at least one more new shown in those videos but I can't remember.

Gas grenades.

I guess we get to loot Exalt guns even when they die, right? Weapons exploding on death is alien tech, and exalt die even if stunned.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
MECs get grenade launchers :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Voltage triggered bomb? Dead-man switch? Plenty of ways to set it up so they get killed when you stun them which will go off without further effort from the stunnee.

• Locked thread