Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I loving love what trailer for this movie seems to be setting up. Tony's actually growing and changing as a character, and it's following up that character after Avengers.

It feels like you had Tony start off as a dude making changes in his life to improve himself and the world in the first movie. Then with the second movie, you have him dealing with the effects of these changes, and the responsibility and threats that come with it. Then you have Avengers, where it's like "OK, I'm Iron Man, I've got these capabilities, poo poo's happening, I'm gonna be a hero and avenge the poo poo out of things from now on."

So now THIS movie is "OK, there's a threat on the country! TONY! TONY HEY TONY YOU'RE A HERO NOW HEY TONY WHERE'S IRON MAN TO SAVE US ISN'T THAT WHAT YOU DO?" and Tony's gotta put up with this poo poo and the Mandarin is all "Hey gently caress YOU Iron Man!" and Iron Man's all "Hey gently caress YOU Mandarin I really don't need all this poo poo god dammit!" and Tony's just been going Batman-crazy building a bajillion suits for all kinds of purposes including ways to beat the poo poo out of his friends and :supaburn:

Just very promising stuff, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Stark doesn't change at all in Iron Man 2, that's (among the) reason(s) the film sucks. It sets him up to realize his achievements are built on a dishonest foundation, that his hubris is endangering his life, and he isn't really solving any problems - indeed he's hardly doing enough good to make up for all the harm he's done before - then it discards all that and it turns out his dad was a wizard-saint and all the people he worked with were just jealous jerks and Iron Man rules and he was right all along.

I wasn't really implying that he was changing in Iron Man 2, but rather he was dealing with all the things brought on from the first movie. Because of the arc reactor and the attention Tony receives for it/Iron Man, Vanko comes out of the woodwork to seek revenge for his father. Because he created this amazing potential weapon, the US government wants him to turn it over and work with the military. SHIELD wants to deal with him for the Avengers Initiative. All this stuff is happening, and meanwhile he's dying and is trying to process what is happening and what he needs to do.

It's not a movie about massive growth and change. It's a movie about the fallout of the first movie. And now Iron Man 3 seems like it'll be about the fallout of The Avengers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Darcy adds just enough, and some very vital, flavor to the overall tone of the movie. I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with the character unless they have a pre-existing problem with Kat Dennings and were focusing on her any time she was on screen to make sure they hated it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Plus the third act of Incredible Hulk introduces The Leader, which they better follow up on. Hulk 2 with Leader and Abomination and Doc Samson would be pretty great.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Captain Quack posted:

New Man of Steel's photo:

I can't stop laughing at this. It's like something people would take at a ComiCon photobooth, complete with boring grey backdrop.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I find it amusing they cast a wrestler as Drax, since these threads usually devolve into arguments about fan-casting wrestlers in such roles and how dumb people are for even thinking such things.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Officer Farva posted:

Maybe he's old Bucky?

I can absolutely promise you that this is not going to happen. I'm not sure if I want to tell you why and ruin your obliviousness.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Yeah. He'll probably be Modok.

If they actually did this, I would totally be on board and so would you.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

LateToTheParty posted:

So here is Electro before turning blue.

I like to think of it the other way around. This is Electro after he gets his powers.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well that looked all kinds of delightful, and the tease of Thor and Loki teaming up was loving awesome.

"When do we start?" indeed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

thet0wer posted:

What's the point of using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver if you can't even mention the fact that they're mutants, or Magneto's kids?

"No more mutants" aaaaaaand problem solved.

Also I really hope they go the Ultimate direction with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Game of Thrones that poo poo up, Marvel!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

Yesss...though it won't happen I kinda do want the creepy Millar Witch and Quicksilver vibe. Do something creepy Marvel. If we can't get Sins Past in the Spider-man movies (that would rule) then let's have this with subtext handled by Joss Whedon. It'd be amazing.

And then cast these two to play them, while we're at it.

Instead of vampires, they're siblings. Done.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

I will never understand why these people can ignore all of the other changes that they made from the comics to the big screen but get really ugly when they find out that someone who used to be white, will now be played by somebody black. The race usually never contributes to the character of the person. I can understand not wanting a African American to play as the Red Skull for obvious reasons, but there is nothing about Johnny Storm that screams "Must be played by a white guy".

These other changes are never ignored, so I don't know what world you are living in where people ONLY care that ethnicity stays intact when adapting a property. People have attachments to the source material, and they don't want arbitrary, pointless changes made in adaptation. Sometimes one of these pointless changes involves the color of a person's skin, and if someone is displeased with that does not make them a racist.

Not to say there aren't people with racist opinions on such matters, but not everyone should be lumped in to one category, thereby disregarding all of them for their feelings on the matter.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I just rewatched Man on the Moon so I can't stop hearing Tony Clifton when I see these pictures of Paul Giamatti.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Here's the full Agents of SHIELD trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T-evQZiQo

That looks pretty cool, and I'm very interested in the idea of a superhero show that doesn't focus on the superheroes, because it's an odd concept to roll with.

Also... the superpowered black guy in that trailer. Is that Luke Cage, some other Marvel character, or a brand new character being made for the show?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

I will only watch if some guy in the show has massive scars that could only have been caused by three claws slashing his face - be it a hardcore agent, a bitter villain, or a dancing bear that is hardcore and bitter. I demand the creators confirm this will happen or I will not watch.

But Nick Fury already has those. :confused:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Devour posted:

So now that Wesley Snipes is out of prison can we expect to see Blade in Avengers 2?

There is always a chance of Blade being involved int he Marvel movie universe, but I doubt they'll fit him into the Avengers 2 plot or have Snipes involved. I think there was a passing mention of some interest in some Blade/Doc Strange/Ghost Rider action, but nothing beyond that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Officer Farva posted:

Wonderful. Leave it to Fox to be petty about the dumbest poo poo. Obviously it worked out great for X-Men 3. And yes, I'm totally jumping the gun on this one.

I'm with you. It's Fox and an X-Men movie, so nobody will tell me differently that this is a desperate attempt to bite on Marvel's coattails just because they can.

If they really wanted to use Quicksilver (and Scarlet Witch), they had 5 movies to do more than an extremely brief cameo before Whedon started throwing names around.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
See, this is why Marvel should really go with the messed up incest versions of those characters. That way someone in the movie can make a comments about them having "freak mutant babies" if they were to have kids, and Marvel can have the last laugh.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Quicksilver as already in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, you guys.

We know, but that's like saying Scarlet Witch was already in X-Men 2 because she was listed on Stryker's computer (so was Quicksilver). It was just a cameo to fill the background with.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just cast Michael McKean and tell him to do his character from Spinal Tap, cranked up to 11. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well let's just run down the list of everything these movies could be.

Runaways - Movie planned early on, but was put on the backburner to focus on other projects.
Ant Man - Edgar Wright's finally getting this thing off the ground.
Doc Strange - Rumored to be showing up in Thor 2, and talk has been made of wanting to do a movie for him.
Black Panther - Idea has been thrown around for wanting to do a movie of him too.
Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Heroes for Hire - Their names have been thrown around, but I don't know if they have plans for either of them.
Daredevil, Blade, Punisher, Ghost Rider - Marvel has all these back now.

And besides new film properties, you've got all your potential sequels, the most likely being Hulk 2.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 25, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Vin Diesel could play so many different characters it's not even funny. Have him be someone like Captain Marvel, or Ares, or Black Knight, or something. Give a lesser known character some cred.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

Quick, someone post the entire Clown 9 arc.

I would absolutely watch another Sony Spider-Man film if Clown 9 was the villain.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Neowyrm posted:

Fellas.

The day we've been waiting for is here.

Sam Rockwell would like to be on Agents of SHIELD.

*as Justin Hammer.

Probably bring him in to kill him off because Iron Man villains aren't allowed to survive.

But what they SHOULD do is have him come on as Guy Fleegman, introduce Galaxy Quest to the Marvel world, and have them run SWORD.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
GotG is a make-or-break film for Marvel, in terms of if an audience will be accepting of all the crazy space stuff that could potentially be thrown at them, so it makes me very concerned that they've put their faith in James Gunn to helm the film. I really wasn't that impressed with Slither or Super, especially not enough to think "This guy should be writing and directing a complex Marvel blockbuster."

I hope he either really surprises me, or Marvel ends up babysitting him through the whole production.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

spikenigma posted:

Oh no.

...from the writer of Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo II :smith:

But then he wrote Dawn of the Dead. :unsmith:

Dawn remake was terrible. And even if you did like it, go watch Super and continue worrying.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I keep getting the Vibe that Electro is going to be an outfit that looks terrible in pictures but wonderful when its animated on the screen.

Seems like electricity is supposed to be spazzing out underneath his skin and lighting it up. Like if you hold a flashlight up against your hand and it glows through your skin, except in this case the flashlight is a lightning storm and it is inside of him.

It's not a bad concept, at least.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

What killed de dinosaurs? DE ICE AGE!

The concept was kinda cool and all, but now he's got a stupid thing on his head and a stupid power armor costume and it's just amazingly cheesy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

How is the grim and grungy version of Wolverine any different from shaking things up for the film? They're both acknowledging the original design was goofy.

The original design looks goofy NOW, but it was made in the 1970's. Many comics originated 40-50 years ago, where their origins and visuals and stories were very appropriate for the times, but don't hold up now, and have gone through various changes as time has gone on and tastes and trends have changed.

The people making the X-Men movies don't seem to give a poo poo about any of that though. That's the difference.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollis posted:

Well if that is true about Vin Diesel not going to Marvel, I'd say that it'd probably be him as Martian Manhunter or Black Adam just based on that comment of Poor Marvel.

Because that Justice League movie is RIGHT around the corner, yeah? :laffo:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only way a Batman/Superman movie could work at this time, is if it's a standalone film that has zero connection to Nolan's trilogy, Man of Steel, or any kind of attempt at creating a shared universe or Justice League movie. They just do not have a proper foundation to start building anything on yet, and if they seriously think they can, this movie is going to be a glorious disaster.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Democratic Pirate posted:

So Batman's only option would be to make him leave Earth then right? Because Superman was the only reason Zod came to Earth but if Superman didn't fight then millions-billions more would've died.

My comedy vision is Batman just being so annoying to Superman that Superman's only option is to get off the planet.

I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…not touching you! Ooohhh, I'm not touching you! Not touching you! You gonna leave now? Gonna leeeeaaaave?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

I thought they had already said Thanos was the villain? Or is that the Galaxy movie?

I don't read the comics much, but Ultron is a new name to me. Google says that there was a comic series this summer also titled Age of Ultron, though.

(The new movie is The Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Going by the Avengers cartoon, Ultron is a line of robots created by Hank Pym (Ant Man/Giant Man) to supervise imprisoned supervillain-type people in his special prison for supervillain-type people, because Hank Pym hates superhero bullshit and would rather do science stuff to help fight bad guys instead of go out there and wreck poo poo and risk people's lives.

He ultimately refines his Ultron model to the point that it becomes a sentient being that goes crazy and becomes unstoppable and attempts to kill everyone and everything. It also creates Vision, an almost alien-like robot-humanoid-thingy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will never understand the complaints for the SHIELD interactions in Iron Man 2, since everything involving them makes absolute perfect sense both for the movie and for the greater picture.

SHIELD is starting the Avengers Initiative, with Tony being their premiere candidate. They have Black Widow observe him to determine his potential role, and note his deteriorating health, destructive behavior, and Vanko loving poo poo up. It comes to a head, and Fury steps in and is like "Hey, dude, get a loving grip k?" Tony gets a grip.

Now for "Needless SHIELD insert," I will admit Thor had this. "Hey guys, it's me, Hawkeye! I'm- oh... you don't need me? OK... later. :smith:"

Really, the only thing I don't like about the Iron Man films is how they feel the need to kill off all their villains. It's a really dated practice, makes Iron Man look barbaric (even HULK spared Abomination and Loki), and forces them to keep scraping the barrel for decent bad guys (something Iron Man really doesn't have) and start fresh instead of building up something bigger.

Also, now they're putting Ultron into the picture. Imagine if Stane, Vanko, Mandarin, and the Extremis soldiers were still alive and could be used as part of the Age of Ultron plot.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 21, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

aBagorn posted:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=83845

So, uh, this is a little surprising. I could see this going one of two ways:

1. Ultron is Stark's, as a malfunction of his AI driven suits.

2. Ultron is introduced by SHIELD, and it turns out (in a later movie) that it was Pym all along

It wouldn't be out of line of have Tony create Ultron. I was just looking forward to tying Pym into the story and including him in Avengers 2, so that makes me sad.

At the very least, can we still have Ultron become sentient after coming into contact with Scarlet Witch, falling in love with her, and then flipping out in a jealous rage because she is in love with her brother?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did Marvel's panel cover anything about the Shield TV show they have coming up?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I thought it was a cool idea that was maybe poorly executed, or at least poorly explored/developed.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

This sentence is Spawn in a nutshell.

Which, honestly, is why a new Spawn movie wouldn't be the worst idea, if handled by competent people. Spawn is an OK concept when looking at its basic story, and a movie is all about boiling the formula down to fit within a runtime of a couple hours. Combining these two things SHOULD work to make a decent movie.

But then again, we did end up with the previous Spawn movie. Maybe someone should just make a live-action Maxx movie instead and really gently caress with everyone.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

He can have cocks for hands

Peter Dicklimbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sorry guys, it's plain to see that a dude of short stature making 5 story tall humanoid killer robots has no dramatic potential whatsoever.

Why couldn't Triple H, Chris Benoit or John Cena play this part?

Chris Benoit would have been a pretty interesting choice.

• Locked thread