Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

SerCypher posted:

I saw this on Reddit:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread was the creator.

I saw this too. The title was an innocuous "OUYA Unboxing!", and I was ready to roll my eyes so hard. That made it all the better. We definitely had the same first thought about its source. Anyone here that beautiful person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

bagina posted:

It makes the mind blink.

Blinking is the function of an eyeball, not a mind. Your post is inconsistent, please use more grammar, I do not want to read into what you may have meant.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

AmazonTony posted:

Hey thanks! We're working pretty hard over here to not suck, hope you all took advantage of "Gooncave" which we named after this forum.

Also, thanks everyone for creating this thread. I can't tell you how many early mornings it has gotten me through.

Hilariously enough, I found out about gooncave through reddit. I try to keep up with the Steam thread but it moves way too fast for me. Where do I go to keep on top of stuff you're doing?(No twitter)

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Good stuff! Thanks!

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
If anyone's looking for something to do, reddit has a thread in its main Games forum about the new Ouya (lack of) sales numbers. A lot of people who aren't familiar with the debacle are asking questions about it, and it seems like many would be receptive to the non-fanboy version of events. For example, I already see people being told the controllers "aren't that bad" and were "fixed at launch". It's overwhelming to me, but I think if someone made a few real posts it might save some poor sap who isn't subscribed to r/ouya from thinking the system is anything other then a flaming wreck.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
No, it's the main games thread that people see on the front page whether they are registered or not. And...I was just talking about someone with more posting vigour then I correcting obvious lies like "the controllers were fixed for launch." Never stop blindly hating people you superstar.

Anyway, it's way off the front page by now so I guess I'm calling off my "invasion."

What Fun fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 27, 2013

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Tron. Tron.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
He's the dude with the 'tude whose body is totally out of control and slowly killing him from the inside...to the XTREME.

Come get it you loving pussies(TM).

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
The Ouya is infinitely valuable, as it represents the dreams and ideas of Real Gamers(tm) to take down the BIG THREE worldwide.

It's also worth slightly less then whatever your local jurisdiction sets the minimum bar for import tax at.

The Unconsole triumphs.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

"I'm tired of the BIG 3 riding my rear end!"

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

theflyingorc posted:

Who do they think is going to buy these?

A lot of people. A lot.

All the people you're thinking of.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Whoever said earlier that Gridiron Thunder's NFL-licensing strategy was going to be to use city names and colors without NFL(tm) team names - nailed it.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Bob's game's kickstarter page has a history of his entire life. Here's the culmination -

"In total despair, I stumbled around in a confused haze for a couple of months, and then got stronger. I've spent the last 9 months sleeping in my car and running at the gym, building myself back up. I've had to humble myself and learn to accept life as it is, to live with almost nothing, to appreciate what I have, and to truly value existence itself and see the world around me as it actually is- an illusion. I slowly learned how we are tricked by desire and greed and kept weak and blinded by criminal syndicates. I realized that is what I had been fighting against the whole time, subconsciously! Even more incredible, I learned what humans are truly capable of- discovering that we are indeed magical creatures with psychic powers! It's the greatest trick in history- we are all great wizards, reduced to spending our lives so distracted, we never even realize our own power!"

Crazy bolding mine. Salutations, my wizard friends.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
OuroborosPants, either come clean about the whole story with your failed website and console or stop making quips about it.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

XboxPants posted:

There's no story. I had hopes that OUYA would do well originally. Then it came out. At first there were a couple fun games and some support from indie developers but both of those things got worse over time until the point where no good games were either being released or even planned for it.

Someone hired me to write on their website for a few months but that wasn't a huge success either, which is partially our fault and partially because you can't run a website about a failing unpopular game system.

I don't know what kind of massive conspiracy you're looking for but there are no crashed Ferraris here.

No massive conspiracy, but I think that's the most sentences you've typed to explain your complete 180 - after months and pages of pre-hype. I miss reading all your crazy garbage.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

XboxPants posted:

I thought it was possible that some unknown people would be competent at their job. They weren't. I don't think that giving people a chance, even if they let you down, makes you "wrong" but if you disagree I can see where you're coming from.

It's not that I'm angry about you being "wrong", it's just frustrating that you battled so fervently for every bad OUYA decision up to a point. Then, with no real explanation, you just started pitching in with the rest of the thread every now and again. It's not that I'm expecting a meltdown post, I guess it was just really anticlimactic. Just like a certain game console launch.

Anyway, I really don't have any anger towards you - I've gotten so much entertainment from reading your posts, how could I? It's just a letdown that we never got to see your breakthrough moment. I hope you find a writing job that you love and that pays you, someday.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Colosmicon posted:

So apparently the Washington state attorney general filed a lawsuit against a couple guys who didn't deliver on their Kickstarter project, for violating the Consumer Protection Act. It's still a long shot, but if this case goes through, people seeking crowdfunding might become legally liable for failing to ship the backer rewards that they promised.

As much as I want to see OUYAcorp punched in the grundle, making Kickstarter-type project creators legally liable to deliver is probably the quickest way to ensure that no one can crowdfund without an existing corporate structure in place. That's fine for the Double Fines and Veronica Mars of the world, but it really puts a huge burden on the little guys if some guy who didn't get his fetish playing cards fast enough is going to be able to actually sue instead of just threatening it every other post.

Example: I just kickstarted some Arkham Horror dice from a guy who is basically pooling people's money together in his apartment and sending out for manufacturing at a bulk rate. I don't think those type of things are viable anymore if he's potentially on the hook for $2,000 per ~$15 dice order.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Stux posted:

The entire point of it is that it isn't investing and gives people a chance at trying something that would otherwise not be able to get funding.

Basically this. I am all about strict buyer protection in every other aspect of life, but this really is unique and different from selling a product. You're chipping in with the hope that someone will come through on something that basically wouldn't happen otherwise. At this point, the lawsuit is about failing to deliver - whether you just couldn't make it over the finishing line or you absconded with the money. Either way, it's not a purchase, and punishing everyone who can't deliver as if they were the scumbag is going to take the little guy off the site where he goes for money when he can't get it anywhere else. And then it's just "Corporate Investor Without the Dividends dot Com".

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Present posted:

"Oh it's OK you guys. You tried your best I'm sure. Keep the twenty five thousand dollars"

It's really crappy that some people are going to run scams, and this isn't the way business should work in most situations, but can you really not see that the cure is worse then the disease in this specific case? You don't literally believe in debtor's prison, so I'm hoping you don't literally believe that this is the mindset you're arguing against.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

The Chairman posted:

the Stradivarius of controllers

Never fails to make me laugh.

Popete posted:

So should I buy an Ouya?

Yes
Yes

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I hope I'm never out of touch with reality enough in my later years that I decide to invest into whatever the OUYA of 40 years from now is going to be. I don't mean like the kickstarter backers, who were kinda dumb but before it was a proven failure. I mean the venture capitalists who keep installing multi-million dollar sump pumps on this sinking, rat-infested ship. If I wasn't sure that they had more money then they could ever spend, I'd feel worse for them. But who looks at this package and writes a check?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Suspicious Dish posted:

Got a summary?

He's charging about 2 dollars for a plate of 9 oven fries from the frozen food section of his local grocery.

e:
Someone made an inspirational speech in GBS about how everyone has a little doobie in them and goddammn't he's persewin his dreeeeeaaams, which caused some goon to spend his kid's christmas money on buying this guy a vent hood for his hotdog shack.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 11, 2014

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Nothing. They got so paid, and it will be on the resume as a huge success. They did everything right.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Zeether posted:

Ouya spotted at PAX:

Well at least they know when to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Can we get gaming back on the TV already? Christ.

• Locked thread