Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I finally spotted OUYAs in the wild at the local Target the other day. I still didn't buy one but it was interesting to finally see them make an appearance. They were over in a neglected aisle end along with $90 game controller grips for your android phone, which is probably a better item despite being even more overpriced and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

What Fun posted:

OuroborosPants, either come clean about the whole story with your failed website and console or stop making quips about it.

There's no story. I had hopes that OUYA would do well originally. Then it came out. At first there were a couple fun games and some support from indie developers but both of those things got worse over time until the point where no good games were either being released or even planned for it.

Someone hired me to write on their website for a few months but that wasn't a huge success either, which is partially our fault and partially because you can't run a website about a failing unpopular game system.

I don't know what kind of massive conspiracy you're looking for but there are no crashed Ferraris here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

raditts posted:

You don't go to those lengths for poo poo almost nobody will read if you don't have something a little broken upstairs.
The real person to look out for is the one who actually read all of that.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

XboxPants posted:

There's no story. I had hopes that OUYA would do well originally. Then it came out. At first there were a couple fun games and some support from indie developers but both of those things got worse over time until the point where no good games were either being released or even planned for it.

Someone hired me to write on their website for a few months but that wasn't a huge success either, which is partially our fault and partially because you can't run a website about a failing unpopular game system.

I don't know what kind of massive conspiracy you're looking for but there are no crashed Ferraris here.

No massive conspiracy, but I think that's the most sentences you've typed to explain your complete 180 - after months and pages of pre-hype. I miss reading all your crazy garbage.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What Fun posted:

No massive conspiracy, but I think that's the most sentences you've typed to explain your complete 180 - after months and pages of pre-hype. I miss reading all your crazy garbage.

To my mind, I haven't done a 180. It's not like I thought the OUYA was great and now I've changed my mind. Instead, I thought it was possible the staff was competent enough that if the system got enough support from developers & consumers, it could turn into a fun platform.

But the system didn't really get much consumer or develop support, and so it shriveled up. And it turned out that the staff wasn't very competent either, so even if they got more support it probably wouldn't have succeeded.

I thought it was possible that some unknown people would be competent at their job. They weren't. I don't think that giving people a chance, even if they let you down, makes you "wrong" but if you disagree I can see where you're coming from.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 29, 2014

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

XboxPants posted:

I thought it was possible that some unknown people would be competent at their job.

To me, you were being undeservedly optimistic about the people involved.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

That's probably fair. Most of the big people had some kind of industry experience but it wasn't really good enough. For instance, I'll admit that I underestimated how hard it is to make a good controller.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

XboxPants posted:

That's probably fair. Most of the big people had some kind of industry experience but it wasn't really good enough. For instance, I'll admit that I underestimated how hard it is to make a good controller.

The people were known. The problem was there was only 'big people' and they sourced out all the dirty work to Chinese design houses which would only ever produce a turd on the couple of million they had to work with.

The only surprise in the last bawb video was that they finally have seemed to hire someone who is semi-competent in embedded hardware and code, but its far far too late.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

XboxPants posted:

I thought it was possible that some unknown people would be competent at their job. They weren't. I don't think that giving people a chance, even if they let you down, makes you "wrong" but if you disagree I can see where you're coming from.

It's not that I'm angry about you being "wrong", it's just frustrating that you battled so fervently for every bad OUYA decision up to a point. Then, with no real explanation, you just started pitching in with the rest of the thread every now and again. It's not that I'm expecting a meltdown post, I guess it was just really anticlimactic. Just like a certain game console launch.

Anyway, I really don't have any anger towards you - I've gotten so much entertainment from reading your posts, how could I? It's just a letdown that we never got to see your breakthrough moment. I hope you find a writing job that you love and that pays you, someday.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

The people were known. The problem was there was only 'big people' and they sourced out all the dirty work to Chinese design houses which would only ever produce a turd on the couple of million they had to work with.

The only surprise in the last bawb video was that they finally have seemed to hire someone who is semi-competent in embedded hardware and code, but its far far too late.

Weren't all of the big people marketing people?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well, one of the big people was a design person. Who proceeded to make designs without considering the electronics and mechanics fitting in at all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What Fun posted:

It's not that I'm angry about you being "wrong", it's just frustrating that you battled so fervently for every bad OUYA decision up to a point. Then, with no real explanation, you just started pitching in with the rest of the thread every now and again. It's not that I'm expecting a meltdown post, I guess it was just really anticlimactic. Just like a certain game console launch.

Basically, I just stopped paying attention to the thing at some point and moved on to other stuff. When I eventually looked back to see how things were going, it was like "yep well that pretty much flopped. then again that's no surprise since it wasn't doing very well last time I looked either".

Sono posted:

Weren't all of the big people marketing people?

Well, that and executives/managers, but either way they didn't have the technical experience needed and didn't hire anyone who did.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 29, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You say that like this is all over. Do you think they've not got enough cash left to make the twouya? I thought for sure they'd been fattened up on venture capital.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

You say that like this is all over. Do you think they've not got enough cash left to make the twouya?

The OUYA 2 coming out? Slightly less likely than Tom Cruise coming out as a homosexual, slightly more likely than George W Bush coming out as a lizard man.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Install Windows posted:

Well, one of the big people was a design person. Who proceeded to make designs without considering the electronics and mechanics fitting in at all.

To my understanding, Yves Behar only did concept renderings for the Kickstarter.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Are there still people who haven't gotten their Ouya? I know it took over a year for some people to get theirs from backing on Kickstarter and I'm willing to bet theres plenty of people no Nouya.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Colosmicon posted:

To my understanding, Yves Behar only did concept renderings for the Kickstarter.

Well yeah can't commit much time to any one project when you need to be out there designing laptops for children and sex toys. Hopefully not for children.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tracula posted:

Are there still people who haven't gotten their Ouya? I know it took over a year for some people to get theirs from backing on Kickstarter and I'm willing to bet theres plenty of people no Nouya.

From the Kickstarter comments:

quote:

James Shing on Apr 13
Sorry, I am one of the backer of OUYA, since now I still haven’t received my OUYA yet. Can u update to me please?
Thanks a lot.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

XboxPants posted:

The OUYA 2 coming out? Slightly less likely than Tom Cruise coming out as a homosexual, slightly more likely than George W Bush coming out as a lizard man.

This is not a funny joke, maybe like 11 years ago it would've killed though

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Breetai posted:

No. Way.

I expected there to be people who hadn't gotten theirs yet, but not people who ACTIVELY WANTED IT and yet still hadn't gotten the thing. Amazing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So there are Oyuas gathering dust in Targets and at Amazon, where they they've knocked the price down to $70 just to move the drat things, and yet there are Kickstarter backers who still haven't gotten their consoles yet.

Amazing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So Towerfall has sold half a million copies so far! Doing great, right?

7,000 were on Ouya.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Don't listen to these lies.
Get an Apple TV2, if you can find one. (Not the 3. Can't get root on that yet).
Does the Apple TV have a mic inside the remote that you can use to TALK TO THE FIRE TV? I didn't think so.

Note: once Fire TV voice search is added for Netflix, it will be the best $100 streaming box, hands down.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

$500,000 gross not copies:

Basil Hayden posted:

It's $500k gross, not 500k copies. If I'm remembering his OUYA price point correctly, this would imply that a significant fraction of his gross profits actually came from there.

I'm not sure what that says about OUYA or Towerfall.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What was the Dev vs OUYA split? 70/30 I'm thinking?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Hat Thoughts posted:

This is not a funny joke, maybe like 11 years ago it would've killed though

Much like the ouya itself.

Heyooo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

boo_radley posted:

Much like the ouya itself.

Heyooo.

I'm pretty sure 11 years ago people didn't want to play lovely games.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm pretty sure 11 years ago people didn't want to play lovely games.

Master of Orion III is a 4X turn-based strategy game and the third in the Master of Orion series. MoO3 was developed by Quicksilver Software and published by Infogrames on February 25, 2003.

e: whoa, Double Dash came out the same year? We'll call it a push.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

"Half as successful as the original playstation"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

pentyne posted:

"Half as successful as the original playstation"

What is that quote from, anyway?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

XboxPants posted:

I don't know if you're joking or what but I'm pretty sure you are the one who said that, man.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

No. Way.

I expected there to be people who hadn't gotten theirs yet, but not people who ACTIVELY WANTED IT and yet still hadn't gotten the thing. Amazing.

The OUYA gives one last gently caress You on its deathbed. Beautiful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't know if you're joking or what but I'm pretty sure you are the one who said that, man.

Yeah I knew that I just couldn't remember where I had said it and didn't feel like figuring it out myself, so I hoped someone else did remember.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Breetai posted:

There are drug dealers who are more professional than Ouya, jesus christ. At least you generally get what you pay for with them. I would be astounded that people STILL don't have what they pre-paid for but :ouya:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah I'm sure you totally meant that, ha ha.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515898&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post411008066

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

XboxPants posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515898&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post411008066

XboxPants posted:

Hot drat, I finally found some pre-order info to discuss.
http://m.computerandvideogames.com/...ers-pass-200000
Dreamcast managed 200,000+. PS1 managed 100,000+.

OUYA had 57,000+ by the end of the Kickstarter. They have more now. They will have more by the time it releases. I knew you guys were always being loving ridiculous by comparing sales numbers to pre-orders, but I didn't realize it would be that close. Yeah, it's not gonna be competitive against the big three, but if those pre-order numbers are indicative of sales, it's certainly enough to form a user base.

"Half as successful as the original PlayStation" seems downright decent.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Thanks. I see what I was saying but yeah, that "half as successful" quote was just silly.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
nah it was loving stupid

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Christian Knudsen posted:

$500,000 gross not copies:
Ah thanks.

Then only $7,000 of that gross was from the Ouya. So....

XboxPants posted:

What was the Dev vs OUYA split? 70/30 I'm thinking?
Yep, same as everywhere. But the split doesn't matter when we're talking about gross revenue.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ah thanks.

Then only $7,000 of that gross was from the Ouya. So....

7000 copies sold on Ouya. $500,000 total gross across all platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
TowerFall sold better on PS4 than PC, Ouya version trails behind
Seems the PC is just as poo poo a platform as OUYA, guys. :v:
http://tinyurl.com/koovbb9

• Locked thread