Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Isn't that sort of a bewildering chicken/egg scenario? Now there's basically no good reason not to pirate them.
It's extremely stupid. We started playing a Pathfinder campaign recently and all but one player bought digital copies of the main book from Paizo. $10 > $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think like New Vegas, Torment was written from end to end by one person, but game designers tended to fill in the small stuff. Unless I'm mistaken.
New Vegas was absolutely not written by one person. John Gonzalez wrote the main plot and many of the most central characters (Benny, Caesar, Mr. House, etc.), but the majority of characters were written by designers other than him. Of the major characters, he didn't write any of the companions and he didn't write most of the faction leaders like McNamara, Hardin, Pearl, Loyal, Marjorie, Papa Khan, Hsu, The King, etc.

I don't say that to diminish John's role -- in fact, I think he's often tragically overlooked as the architect of F:NV's story and author of its most central characters -- but the rest of the designers did an enormous amount of writing on the project.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The thing I've always (and by always, I mean going back to the original Bard's Tale) disliked about phase-based combat is that selected actions often become impossible due events unfolding before that action occurs. This problem could be exacerbated in a party-based third-person view because positioning and movement are important. Some of that can be ameliorated with separate move and action phases.

In a Fallout tabletop game I ran, there was a move phase and an action phase (with a charge phase in between). Moves were performed in reverse initiative order, which added a nice element to the system. People still took individual turns as they came up, but the "wasted" move situation didn't come up often.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah. A character who could move farther could still outpace someone, but the character acting "faster" (i.e. effectively reacting to the others) had more control over where he or she went relative to other characters. That combined with the charge phase prior to other actions allowed melee characters to be pretty well-balanced with the ranged characters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chairchucker posted:

Well, it would be difficult to convert the rules of chess to be real time.
Siamese chess is the closest example I can think of. Also it should be noted that medieval chess was really slow compared to modern chess, so slow that players often set up games in half-finished starting states. Pawns could only move one square, there was no en passant, bishops could only move two squares, queens could only move diagonally (also one square), etc. Over time chess changed to the WILD-PACED game we have today. I wonder if medieval chess players looked at early modern chess players and called them the equivalent of contards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's because a lot of developers try to do the game in chronological order for some weird reason, which means the end comes last and it's the most likely part to be rushed. But those games you listed are nothing compared to the ultimate rushed RPG ending that towers over the others from a throne atop the universe: Neverwinter Nights 2
That ending was how it was spec'd from the beginning, for at least as long as I was on the project.

I also advocate never developing areas in chronological order for a lot of reasons, but I wasn't able to convince anyone of that for NWN2.

• Locked thread