Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

01011001 posted:

He didn't terribly make fun of himself though? I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired or tone-deaf to get it, but I'm not really seeing it.

The way I saw it he was just being kind of deadpan "how dare they make me apologize for my masterpiece?" kind of ironic. It wasn't particularly funny but then none of the videos so far have been. These aren't comedy writers, much less comedy actors we're dealing with.

I'd be more concerned if it had been Double Fine making those videos honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Vindicator posted:

You think you were owed an apology from one of the writers of an RPG rulebook that came out years ago. That's the definition of egotism.
Jesus. He's not owed that, yeah, but inXile surely aren't owed his pledge money either, dude. :wtc:

Let's please not go all slavering-fanboy-outrage just because one person, who presumably wasn't all that much into the project to begin with, might have been pushed over the edge by a small thing. (And that's if that guy's single post was a seriouspost, which I find questionable at best.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

jammu posted:

What does one non-elf life matter?
Less than my elf-life. :winning:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Everyone should run out and grab an original Planescape set so they'll be ready for Torment!

That shrink-wrapped Hellbound box that McComb was holding up is worth a little bit too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Pyradox posted:

The way I saw it he was just being kind of deadpan "how dare they make me apologize for my masterpiece?" kind of ironic. It wasn't particularly funny but then none of the videos so far have been. These aren't comedy writers, much less comedy actors we're dealing with.

Yeah they really were shooting for a humorous bloated ego type humour that someone like Phil Hartman would have crushed. They just really really failed the execution.

I'd never even heard of this book until this thread so I have no personal feelings about it but that video was just cringe worthy.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Yeah they really were shooting for a humorous bloated ego type humour that someone like Phil Hartman would have crushed. They just really really failed the execution.

I'd never even heard of this book until this thread so I have no personal feelings about it but that video was just cringe worthy.

Yeah, it's probably to be expected in a video like this, but I get the feeling Colin didn't use many takes or send it around to anyone for feedback before submitting it.

At least he has a better excuse for trying to be funny than Monte though. He didn't need to start an interesting lore video with a comedy sketch and his intro in that video was genuinely painful.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Darkhold posted:

I felt the same up until the point where he asked DM's out there to take more control of their table and don't allow splatbooks that they feel unbalance their games.

Then I thought "you'd really want every player to play an elf, if you're going to have the Complete guide to elves at the table."

I still think other books have worse things than unbalanced elves in D&D though. Such as "Toughness".

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

Pyradox posted:

Maybe, "the issue" is bigger than it appears to be. For, thinking about it now, PS:T's comical part comes mainly from a single character and his creator is not in the team. The quote below is from Planescape: Torment Special Report, Part 1.

quote:

Where you begin is on a slab that turns out to be in the Mortuary in Sigil. The very first thing that happens is that you meet Morte, a sarcastic, trash-talking disembodied skull who will be your companion for almost the entire game. “Morte came from the Planescape ideas of mimirs, which are sort of like floating encyclopedias that store information,” says Chris Avellone. “Since the Nameless One has amnesia, having a mimir to explain things and coach him on some of the Planescape jargon, etiquette and the world around him - as well as certain aspects on how to play the game - seemed like a useful thing to start him off with. We thought it would better to have one with a personality so the player felt like he was interacting with a person rather than an object... adding the sarcasm and Falstaff-like attitude to Morte was just to make him more fun to write and make him easier to identify with. He can diffuse the gloominess and edginess of the Planescape universe when things get a little too dark and depressing.”
The bold is mine

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

That's an understandable concern, but it's important to note that humour depends heavily on delivery and the writers aren't going to be voice acting their own dialogue. If you put the same script in front of a decent comedic actor they could make the same video noticeably funnier. Maybe not comedy gold, but better than an untrained writer.

Remember, the writing is also the reason they're shooting for several months of preproduction so even if the dialogue starts out on this level there will be plenty of time for the entire team to edit it and refine it in the coming months, as well as figure out how best to express it in game.

Ultimately we'll see if Numenera finds itself in need of the same comic relief that Planescape did but I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that what we get will be a better turn out than the videos.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pyradox posted:

That's an understandable concern, but it's important to note that humour depends heavily on delivery
This was my first thought on the issue too. All of the well-known front-people for character comedy shows (like The Colbert Report) have a team of writers that are filtered through the charisma of The Face. McComb has written a lot of interesting things (via Planescape) and while he will never be a spokesmodel I am not worried about his writing interesting 'Torment-ey' things.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I highly doubt he brought his A game to this apology in any case. Maybe jotted some notes down and just winged the rest.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Jesus. He's not owed that, yeah, but inXile surely aren't owed his pledge money either, dude. :wtc:

Let's please not go all slavering-fanboy-outrage just because one person, who presumably wasn't all that much into the project to begin with, might have been pushed over the edge by a small thing. (And that's if that guy's single post was a seriouspost, which I find questionable at best.)

I don't at all care that he removed his pledge, that's his decision to make. I just find his reason for doing so to be ridiculous. Hey, I didn't like some lovely movie/novel, fair enough. The writers/directors/actors, whoever, do not owe me an apology because of that. I think it's incredibly arrogant and egotistical to expect one. I find it incredible that he willingly pledged toward a game, KNOWING that the book that so dreadfully offended him was written by one of the staff working on it. Like, seriously, did he pledge based on the fact that he'd finally get an apology over the emotional trauma that he suffered by reading an RPG sourcebook, over a decade ago? It's like pure distilled essence of grognard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
From reading his posts on TG, he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do so sincerely. I assume it's a joke post in kind to how lacking of seriousness the video had in offering an apology.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would like to come to Mordaedil's defense a page late and say that Baldur's Gate multiplayer was, at times, just as much fun or perhaps moreso than the normal game, even though overall I do not think there is any way it could compare. But I also only ever played it multiplayer on a LAN, for four days straight, with three of my best friends, and by about day three we were saving every time the "main character" got awarded a new supernatural ability so we could horribly 3-on-one murder him as punishment for his divine status. Plus every time someone started reading the quest text out loud in a funny voice after about 4 A.M. it was inescapably funny.

Also I thought the Bard's Tale was a genuinely fun reimagining of the original game, though I did spend years wondering why in the world they did not try a little harder to make it at all reminiscent of the original before finding out they legally could not. Then I started wondering why they decided to make it in the first place knowing that. Thankfully with Torment there is a lot more about the game that you can use to make a spiritual sequel even without the specific rights to the original setting or characters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I would like to come to Mordaedil's defense a page late and say that Baldur's Gate multiplayer was, at times, just as much fun or perhaps moreso than the normal game, even though overall I do not think there is any way it could compare. But I also only ever played it multiplayer on a LAN, for four days straight, with three of my best friends, and by about day three we were saving every time the "main character" got awarded a new supernatural ability so we could horribly 3-on-one murder him as punishment for his divine status. Plus every time someone started reading the quest text out loud in a funny voice after about 4 A.M. it was inescapably funny.

This is basically what we did too, but I can see it not being everyone else's speed.

It's also how we got through NWN1, but NWN2 had a bit too many hurdles for us to fully enjoy it anymore.

I'm not gonna say I didn't enjoy playing BG singleplayer, but well... I can't say I fell out of my chair laughing.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

From reading his posts on TG, he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do so sincerely. I assume it's a joke post in kind to how lacking of seriousness the video had in offering an apology.

Yeah I had a 101 fever and the flu last night I and thought it would be funny, but it wasn't. LIKE THE APOLOGY. GET IT.

I will stick by what I said that the complete book of elves was pretty crappy and asking a DM to just not include stuff or make people RP is a sad excuse for balance, but the guy came up with Planescape so I really don't care, there's far far far worse game design snafus in the tabletop industry.

McComb is a lot like Monte Cook, in that he has some really great ideas (I backed the Numenera TTRPG and the setting is really well done), they just don't think out the mechanics, which aren't really that prevalent in a CRPG anyway.

Dec 26, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Basically this.

Well, whatever, it doesn't say a whole lot about the project. Except maybe a design philosophy but I assumed he was doing writing and not mechanics, in which case that's a moot point.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fenarisk posted:

McComb is a lot like Monte Cook, in that he has some really great ideas (I backed the Numenera TTRPG and the setting is really well done), they just don't think out the mechanics, which aren't really that prevalent in a CRPG anyway.

Buh, besides the movement/map systems and conversation systems, aren't CRPGs nothing but mechanics?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Buh, besides the movement/map systems and conversation systems, aren't CRPGs nothing but mechanics?

There's a big difference between tabletop mechanics and CRPG mechanics. In CRPG's the coders/designers know 100% which options are available and the choices the PC has and how they interact each and every way. In Tabletop there's infinite choices, PC's do dumb poo poo, and can break the system by combining things that normally wouldn't but work as "rules as written", so technically a lenient GM could let it happen.

A CRPG would never even have the option of a level 7 character combining splatbooks and some clever wording to find a way to throw any villain to deep space when they didn't intend for the numbers to work that way.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

FRINGE posted:

Everyone should run out and grab an original Planescape set so they'll be ready for Torment!

That shrink-wrapped Hellbound box that McComb was holding up is worth a little bit too.

Eh, you can buy it as part of the DnD Anthology Master Collection for $20 and it comes along with Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Expansions, Icewind Dale 1/2, and the Temple of Elemental Evil

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
He's not talking about Planescape: Torment.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

BenRGamer posted:

Eh, you can buy it as part of the DnD Anthology Master Collection for $20 and it comes along with Baldur's Gate 1/2 and Expansions, Icewind Dale 1/2, and the Temple of Elemental Evil

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the actual books for the setting.

Are they considered :filez: by the way? A lot of the online stores that used to sell PDFs of Planescape and other 2nd ed. stuff don't carry it anymore.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bovineicide posted:

I'm pretty sure they're talking about the actual books for the setting.

Are they considered :filez: by the way? A lot of the online stores that used to sell PDFs of Planescape and other 2nd ed. stuff don't carry it anymore.

WotC stopped selling PDFs a few years ago, citing piracy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Megazver posted:

WotC stopped selling PDFs a few years ago, citing piracy.

Isn't that sort of a bewildering chicken/egg scenario? Now there's basically no good reason not to pirate them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Isn't that sort of a bewildering chicken/egg scenario? Now there's basically no good reason not to pirate them.

Well, they were worried about the new releases and they wanted you to buy the tree editions.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, yeah, I meant PDFs of like AD&D books. They haven't been publishing them for years, and only like two of the Planescape books (not including the boxed set) are even available on Drive-Thru RPG. I was confused and thought you were talking about just their legacy stuff.

I've always been a little confused by why game companies, whether computer or tabletop or whatever, have such a hard time making a product available which essentially costs them nothing and would be almost pure profit even if they only got a few $10 downloads per month. I think it's one of the things that drives people to piracy in the first place.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's extremely stupid. We started playing a Pathfinder campaign recently and all but one player bought digital copies of the main book from Paizo. $10 > $0.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I bet people would buy high-quality pdfs of the original Planescape material. Even used, the main boxes (4 of them plus Hellbound) from what I recall) are jaw-droppingly expensive. The smallest of the PS monster books (number 3) is around $100 in good shape.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Never understand any companies utter inability to fail to understand the digital age and shoot themselves in the foot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Plus it's not like scanning is hard for pirates.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

rope kid posted:

It's extremely stupid. We started playing a Pathfinder campaign recently and all but one player bought digital copies of the main book from Paizo. $10 > $0.

And what's even funnier is: Paizo releases the rules content of their core RPG rulebooks (ie not the setting stuff) for free if you don't want to pay for the art and the occasional deity name. They have basically the entire text of the Core Rulebook, the Gamemastery Guide, all three Bestiaries, the Advanced Player's Guide, the Advanced Race Guide, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, and Ultimate Equipment up on their website. They're all updated to the latest revision and extensively hyperlinked.

To be fair, though, WotC has started releasing older stuff as PDFs recently.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

I bet people would buy high-quality pdfs of the original Planescape material. Even used, the main boxes (4 of them plus Hellbound) from what I recall) are jaw-droppingly expensive. The smallest of the PS monster books (number 3) is around $100 in good shape.

Amazon in the UK has the original campaign setting new for £60. I considered buying it at that price yesterday, but all of the expansion books are ridiculously expensive. In the end, I just didn't have the free cash to justify it, what with my pledge for this. But had there have been a way to buy the PDFs, they would definitely have had a sale from me in my moment of weakness.

EDIT: And I don't even play DnD, I just wanted it for the setting and the art, because it's cool.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 13, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Plus it's not like scanning is hard for pirates.
If you have that 500+ dollar box I bet youre real loving careful if you decide to scan it. :v:

CottonWolf posted:

Amazon in the UK has the original campaign setting new for £60. I considered buying it at yesterday, but all of the expansion books are ridiculously expensive. In the end, I just didn't have the free cash to justify it, what with my pledge for this. But had TSR offered the PDFs, they would definitely have had a sale from me in my moment of weakness.
Buy it and sell it on the US amazon.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Wow. It really is insanely expensive in the US.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

Wow. It really is insanely expensive in the US.
Yeah that was not a photoshop I put up!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FRINGE posted:

Yeah that was not a photoshop I put up!

For some reason it didn't register that the picture was from Amazon. :doh:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter is on track to knock Torment of the top spot for fastest million raised.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Brown Moses posted:

Looks like the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter is on track to knock Torment of the top spot for fastest million raised.

Holy loving poo poo I want that so much :stare:

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Rob Thomas and Veronica Mars have beaten our record. Good on 'em, that's a pretty awesome Kickstarter!

On topic of Torment tho, update 6 is up, talking Meres, the Castoff's Labyrinth as a continuous stretch goal, and adding Brian Mitsoda to the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy crap! Brian Mitsoda, the story creator and writer of Vampire: Bloodlines?

This is shaping up to be amaaaaazing.

• Locked thread