Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Cons: inXile are unproven as a top-tier studio, the video is painful, "what does one life matter" is a cliché, and I will be blown away if the Tides thing doesn't come out cumbersome and heavy-handed.

Pros: Wasteland 2 might not be the disaster I expected it to be, and Kevin Saunders is Not An Idiot (this is high praise) so if he's bought then I'll risk it. Also thanks to the magic of exchange rates, the £13 buying in now costs me is barely more than bargain-bin prices.

Something I don't think is addressed is how big this thing is going to be? Are they aiming for a PST amount of content?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Wildtortilla posted:

inXile doesn't come across as a company that's going to take advantage of backers and produce piles of poo poo.

It's not about them having bad intentions or being deceptive, it's about the fact that "big" games are far, far harder to manage than "small" games, and that there's a much higher probability of things going wrong. Experienced studios gently caress up all the time, never mind ones new to the big leagues.

It's also not encouraging that the big games inXile have done before (Bard's Tale, Hunted) have been somewhere between mediocre and bad, and that there's only been two of them in the ~ten years of the studio's existence. Now, there may be very good reasons as to why this is, but unless what went wrong then and why it won't go wrong now is laid out, people are perfectly entitled to feel uneasy about the odds of success.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 6, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mex posted:

If you don't feel comfortable backing this project, I totally understand you, inXile doesn't have the track record of, say, Blizzard or Bioware. While I trust Brian Fargo can deliver this, because its the kind of project he loves, it always makes sense to look at his company's track record.

So I'd recommend you don't back them until you feel like they deserve it, it's a totally rational decision.

On the other hand... For guys like me who have waited a decade for more Planescape (even if we didn't know it was coming, like Wasteland2) this is AMAZING news, so don't bring our buzz down ! THROW MONEY AT THIS! ;)

I have backed it, because I'll inevitably play the game and £13 is already a bargain-bin price. I also want to see more projects like this put together. What I'm not expecting though is for it to be "more Planescape" or even a great game, because a) there's little evidence yet that either of these things will be the case and b) like with W2 or P:E, that's a recipe for disappointment.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Fugue Stater posted:

That is to say, even if you're under a lot of pressure, don't KOTOR2 yourselves, ineXile & Obsidian!

Something not enough people know about KotOR2 is that it was made in 9 months.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

http://d4ms.me/Y3tuto

George Ziets posted:

quote:

So congrats, people seem to be pretty keen on throwing money at projects you're involved with. Hypothetically speaking, if you were asked to be the creative lead for a ~million-dollar Kickstarter, what would your pitch be?

Baldur’s Gate 3. Seriously, that would be a dream project for me. (Especially if we could do a divine-level campaign.)

Beyond that, I do have other settings / ideas, but I think BG3 would have the best chance of actually reaching (and exceeding) a million.

How long do Atari have the exclusive D&D license for?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

For reference, this is where Ziets wants to go with BG3

quote:

I’ve always thought that the struggles of a new FR deity could be pretty interesting. Think about what the Bhaalspawn would be up against: 1) few or no followers in a setting where a god requires worship to survive, 2) no divine portfolio to speak of, and 3) a fortress / headquarters that is still floating somewhere in the Abyss – not friendly territory, even for an evil PC.

Under those circumstances, I think a divine campaign would be a battle for survival. It’s suggested at the end of ToB that Cyric and his allies will be coming after you (whether the player is evil or not) because Cyric took over Bhaal’s divine portfolio. The player, as a nascent god, would be facing off against some powerful deities.

Terrible odds? Yes. But that’s great for a story hook.

Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player – several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player’s goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse. Your journey could take you to some of the planes we’ve never visited in a CRPG – Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus, for example – as well as revisiting old favorites like Sigil, though seeing the City of Doors through the eyes of a minor deity could be a very different experience. In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you’d take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You’d create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn’t force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

That’s just some quick brainstorming, but I think a divine-level BG3 could be a lot of fun, and the Bhaalspawn’s story could certainly go on if developers wanted to pursue it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Automatically-updated hourly Kickstarter graph if anyone's interested.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

What's do you think is different between the TToN and PE kickstarters? I ask because TToN has kinda flatlined for now and will likely stay there until the final week.

I'm thinking that a) many more potential TToN backers donated in the first day or so, whilst PE's were more evenly spread and b) PE was much more stingy with the art assets yet more liberal with gameplay information, which both helped sustain active discussion in the middle weeks.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

God, I hope the $3.5 million goal is to not have Rothfuss write for ToN. The Name of the Wind had its problems but it's a decent book as genre fiction goes. The Wise Man's Fear, on the other hand, has a hundred pages of how the teenage protagonist seduces a sex goddess.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Megazver posted:

China Mieville, though... EDIT: Actually, no. He'll probably refuse because the writing team is a sausage fest.

It's unlikely, but I'd love to see this. In terms of originality the man is unmatched, and that makes him (in my mind) the very best genre fiction author in business today.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Great Rumbler posted:

As of right now, everybody really wants Chris Avellone on the project, so there's going to be a huge push to get it up to the at least $3.5 million.

This isn't how stretch goals work. Stretch goals don't provoke individual backers into upping their pledge in order to reach the goal, nor do they convert people who were previously undecided. The purpose of stretch goals is to keep people interested and keep people talking, and that leads in an indirect way to new backers and increased $/backer.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I guess it's a good thing I couldn't tell whether or not that was pre-rendered on the first glance.

Looking at the text, it seems that it is pre-rendered, which is kind of surprising to me. I had assumed it would be 3D Unity tech like Eternity and Wasteland. That makes me even more interested!

Prerendering doesn't preclude the use of a 3D engine. In fact, it requires one:

Additionally, Eternity is going to use 3D models in addition to the pre-rendered backgrounds so that it can do dynamic lighting, kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F6JVZv2-k4

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

So is Notch like the King of Games now or what?

Minecraft has made somewhere in the region of a billion dollars.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, they've gone up something like $8k from when I checked when I woke-up, so they're probably pulling 11-12k an hour now.

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/torment/

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Update time!. Today's topics: books! Plotting! Graphics! Obfuscating player choice! Incentivizing savescumming!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Ah Pook posted:

If that really is "final", I'm kind of disappointed. For all the crowing about how 2D backgrounds means oh my god they can pack in so much beautiful insane detail because it's 1992 and real time 3D graphics haven't advanced past primitive polyhedrons with gourad shaders, this looks a lot like a few obviously flat layers with some unimpressive textures.

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the PE process (which is likely very similar to the TToN process) if it's of interest to you:

The only differences from '92 really are the polycount of the render and the AO pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

e: never mind, I missed about ten pages.

• Locked thread