Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sonata Mused posted:

Everyone was saying that D3Vita is the best out there. I don't know much about it, but what makes it better than D4 mechanics-wise?

It's mostly because Disgaea 4 endgame is a punishing slog that removed some of the shortcuts that D3 (Vita and regular) has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

but just getting to chapter 2 made me feel like everyone in my party was made out of tissue paper.

Just wait. Get through chapter 3 and you'll find things get much easier. The D4 plot characters are rather powerful in general but that particular one is possibly one of the nastiest ones in the series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Strange, I found Almaz to be the deepest (I use this term lightly) of the characters in that game and funny enough linked with more of the cast then Mao. Yeah he had the "oh no I'm a demon" thing but I liked his personality and the fact that he bounced off all of the other characters as well as he did. The fact he went from desperate to get his title back ASAP to coping with it and living up to be a "hero" is more development then anyone else in the game had. I always joked that he was the actual main character, and it kind of felt that way to me especially when the THE END image is of him.

Yeah I agree. Almaz and Sapphire are closer to the main pair of hero/heroine than Mao and Raspberyl (not that Beryl's a terrible character.) I'm actually kind of saddened neither showed up in other games so far.

My guess is Japanese fans really liked Salvatorez's design. She's is a pretty distinctive looking character, unlike say Beryl's lackeys.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

me actually wanting to use them when it's a choice between them and a humanoid unit.

I hope Desco is an exception :colbert:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do not patch it if you plan to really get into endgame and don't want a stupid ammount of grinding.

Either language is fine, but I do prefer the English slightly. If only for Desco's amazing voicework. Speaking of Desco, don't do too much grinding at all until you get her. She's an amazing mana farmer.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 28, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

She's...okay, I guess? She's pretty good on hit points and damage but her main special (at this relative early time in the game anyway) not hitting directly in front of her is a bit annoying.

Her third skill (I assume we're talking about D4?) is really good, especially if you use fusion for giant Desco.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, DD2. Fusion is gone, but it's so fun to see Fuuka riding around on Desco's back swinging an axe and wreaking havoc.

I really hope Desco kept Yog Sothoth (or whatever it's called in Japanese.) A 3x3 attack directly in front is very useful when combined with her attack power.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I actually asked NIS about it a couple of weeks ago but they aren't talking about which actors they did or didn't use. It drives me up the wall, since there are a couple of voices I almost recognize. Haven't spotted Steve Blum yet, though, and he's usually in anything I'm playing.

Likely have union actors doing a non-union job.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Most of those other games are only published by NISA, from what I've seen. They're all of mediocre quality at best as well. The only other I can think of is Phantom Brave, which is a more primitive Makai Kingdom in ways, btu I'm not a big fan of the non-grid games anyway.

Mugen Souls has some Disgaea elements but is also terrible and full of creepiness to the point it had a disturbing minigame cut in the localized release.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sir Gladu posted:

Also, is there any DLC beside those extra Fuka/Desco episodes that's really worth it?

I really like the medic and necromancer classes for some reason. Even if their respective abilities aren't THAT amazing (a skill to teleport friendlies back to the base panel and all enemies killed by the necro turn into friendly npc zombies that retain their stats, respectively.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's exactly that. It's worse than the worst Compile Heart titles.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DrManiac posted:

I heard the later games were a little better so I have no idea why they ported the worst one.

Zero is apparently slightly better gameplay wise but turns up the skeeviness in a big way. 2, from my understanding, is actually really bad as it traded the strategy battles for a piss poor Valkyrie profile ripoff.

Thankfully I never bought any past the first (which I quickly regretted.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
/\ For those who want to know, class unlocks are shown in the data shop. Unknown classes in requirements are shown as a silhouette.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

E: does anyone know what the deal is with the cheat shop? I get messages every once in a whole saying things have changed at the shop but I haven't been able to find it in the base.

It's in the garden area, hidden behind the doors. Not sure if the shopkeep's there right away or takes a few chapters to appear.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wow that voice acting. I've never changed to Japanese voice overs before but heavily considering it :stare: I genuinely nearly spit out my drink when I heard it.

It's not great. Thankfully you don't deal with her long.

Japanese Flonne is so, so much worse to deal with though. I can handle female Laharl over her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The other option is getting a high defense monster to use as a mount for the characters you need to level. It's kind of like how easy it was to abuse Desco fusion to get monsters levelled up quickly.

EDIT: \/ Not as far as I can tell. They pared down a lot of systems to give it closer to a D1 gameplay feel. Clubs/evil symbols are one of the things they cut.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 9, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The PSN version has some crash bugs that also exist in the disc version (but seem rarer on disc.)

It's a bit of a crapshoot. Thankfully the only one I've encountered is easy to avoid as it only triggers if you do a Prinny Day battle.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Man, Flonne's stat gain evility is amazing. I just have her hang back and let the front line run back to her at the beginning of each turn for heals. On the off chance my front line falls Flonne just comes storming out with like twice my toughest characters stats and wrecks everyone.

Use thieves to steal stats as well. They can get ridiculous (and no longer need a plunder hand to steal items either.)

I have three of the buggers at the end of chapter 2 and it's just hilarious to have them run through the map and disarm foes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Anyone know how mages/skulls work this time around? Will I have to level up one of each element? It doesnt seem like I should seeing as theyre all in the same class now.

I think you just need to level one up now. Star unlocks at 30 or 40.

D2 is definitely a bit tougher than earlier games. I've found that I need to keep everyone around the same level a lot more (only halfway through chapter 2) and money is a lot tighter early on. The cheat shop isn't much help when it can only increase stuff to 110% currently. Item world is still locked which doesn't help either.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 10, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I know exactly what you mean. The only character I have who feels like they've gained any strength is my female monk amd that's mostly due to hilariously OP team attacks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

Halfway through Chapter 2, I'm pretty sure you can still solo maps with Laharl, only using your other dudes as a tower to throw him into the sweet spots for landing attacks. And then soaking some hits and dying while they ignore Laharl.

It's funny as the AI seems to make a beeline for Laharl every time I bring him out, comboing him to death as fast as possible while ignoring any other characters I bring out. He's stuck a bit underlevelled due to it.

Etna (spear) and Flonne (with a bow) are holding their own quite well.

EDIT: I was wrong about the mages, btw. All mages start learning star magic at the 3rd tier. There is no need for a prism/galaxy mage if you reincarnate or student/pupil the other elements.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The writing in the series hasn't really matched the first in any of the sequels. It makes me wonder if some of the writers of Disgaea 1 left the company.

Also, if you don't want to overlevel as much use mounts instead of tower attacks.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Are you guys able to view the full Disgaea D2 eGuide from PrimaGames? I signed up for their site for the free eGuide, and it's just giving me some trial version that's only got one paragraph blurbs instead of the actual guide's content.

You should have a link somewhere on the guide main page to subscribe to their newsletter. It'll unlock afterwards.

Trying to grind up to level 7 spear mastery to get the heavy knight. Not sure if it's faster to abuse 2-6 or item world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NJ Deac posted:

Anyone know if Guided Fate Paradox is supposed to be any good? I really enjoyed ZHP, but it looks like they turned up the creepy anime factor to 11 in this game, to the point where it's almost hard to justify a purchase.

I don't think anyone's going to know until it comes out. I doubt any goons have imported it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

5er posted:

There's no 'ultimate' humanoid class in D2 is there? It won't break or diminish the experience for me really, but it is one less goal I'm accustomed to.

Nope. There isn't a maijin/android style class this time around. The angels are the closest thing to an endgame class.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

Is it at all worth going back to Disgaea 4 after D2? I bought it back when I was on my Disgaea 3 vita kick thinking I'd play it after I was done with that but I never did.

Yeah, 4 is still a very good game (with a lot funnier writing/characters than D2 overall.) Just be prepared for more complex gameplay systems like in D3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
/\ or save some work and build up a high hp/high def heavy knight with the protect regardless of distance evilty and laugh as your glass cannons become almost untouchable.

D2 heavy knights are amazing

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's purely any hit for weapon mastery and skill exp.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ For all of the "or progress story" it should read "and progress the story." None of those unlock until specific story points.

For your latter question, you just need to keep using tower attacks. Characters will learn them over time like weapon mastery.

FractalSandwich posted:

The most recent time I played Disgaea 4, I definitely ended up with a fully capable team of named characters, and she was called "Desco". I barely needed anyone else for anything except to charge her Evility. :v:

Fuse her with a zombie and laugh as she gains practically infinite SP and HP since it regens after every kill.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I was going to say that. I've been going through my notes trying to make sure of it, but I'm certain I had an Armor Knight as of Episode 4 or so.

They unlock in the first chapter she appears (end of chapter 2 or 3.) You can't get them before that.

I've hit the other requirements for the angel classes, but they haven't unlocked at the start of chapter six. I suspect they don't unlock until near the end.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

goldjas posted:

Anyone try it yet and know if it's any good?

It's not bad and thankfully (at least so far) not as skeevy as the trailer would suggest. The more lewd jokes are about Digaea 1 level. It's also simply not as funny as most NISA games. The story is mostly played serious which I didn't expect.

Gameplay wise it's pretty close to ZHP from what I can recall (though I didn't play much of ZHP since I only borrowed a PSP.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The worst thing is that the Japanese version is even more serious and you can tell easily where NISA tried to add jokes.

EDIT: \/ Nah, not really. There's some absolutely irritating Japanese voices for some of the angels.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 25, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Fuka + Desco were free (for 2 weeks after release) in Japan.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Brasseye posted:

Its still unbelievably stupid to me that Disgaea 5 is ps4 only.

I felt that way with 3 when it went ps3.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just made a thief in D4, gave her a gun and, uh...jeez. Waaaay weaker than I expected. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Oh there we go, just needed to get to L4. :wtc:

The best gun class imo is professor and they have some really nice support skills to boot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Any word of DD2 on vita yet?

Zero. And I think we would have heard about it by now if it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there a reason a lower-level character would be less protected or gain less XP from being NOT in the middle? :psyduck:

If they're at the base it'd be really easy for them to be attacked. And I think the available attack skills are determined by the guys at top and bottom.

• Locked thread