Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's some "alchemy" wherein you trade herbs for potions but you can easily beat the game ignoring it. As for the jewelry and crystals, they're just for cash. Chuck 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LibbyM posted:

I take it Avadon 2 doesn't have any of your companions from the first game?

Not a single one. I'm not too broken up though, as I think most of them were really bland compared to the new ones.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

White Phosphorus posted:

Recently gotten back into Escape from the Pit. Is there any reason to have all those crystals and emeralds for quest purposes, or should I just sell them for cash?

Sell them and/or make a horde.

quote:

Also, are dedicated ranged characters at all viable?

Mine was probably the best character in the party for the early-midgame, but noticeably fell off by the end. The game is easy enough overall that you won't be completely hosed if you do though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sitchelin posted:

Ranged weapons have always kind of lagged behind melee/spells in Spiderweb games, save for Exile/Avernum 3, where they absolutely crush everything, especially once you find the Fury Crossbow artifact.

In Avadon 1, if you train up dexterity to the exclusion of anything else you are a crazy dodging machine who can cut enemies to ribbons from any distance. It was nerfed in Avadon 2, naturally.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
The only consumables that are really worth hoarding, or at least that I used in the final fight/optional super-boss to any effect are potions/elixers/scrolls of speed and scrolls of resurrection. I also got good use out of potions/elixers of health and whichever one gives anti-cooldown, but those were common enough that I probably didn't need to horde them like I did.

Also, when you return to an area, make sure to check back with the people who gave you sidequests the first time. They'll usually have something new for you to do.

e: Oh, and the status-curing crystals, gently caress charming.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 14, 2014

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Invisible Ted posted:

Opaline Scarab is great for this, I think, it gives you a group cure which is great for taking back your characters. You can find it in the second level of the stacks in Avadon, after you take Eye Leira's first sidequest in the library of Avadon.

It's super good, and would probably have been even better if I'd actually remembered to put it on to fight the super boss.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Yeah, while these games have grids they're not really tactical games in any way. I have basically accepted that the way to get through tougher encounters is to gain levels.

I think the worst is when an enemy just turns out to be immune to a damage type. It's pretty consistent in A:EftP, but absolutely all over the wall in Avadon. Like, of course a slavering hell hound takes fire damage, but a rabid hell hound is immune. And of course I just happen to meet them the time I decide to bring my sorceress along.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I reloaded a few times to get the different endings (becoming a traitor Keeper really should have been given an entirely different text, as the unaltered scraps really clash with what was changed) and became an Eye and Heart in the process - yet I don't have the relevant medals.

The Hand/Eye/Heart of Avadon medals are based on what difficulty you play through the game, normal/hard/torment.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I'm playing through Avernum: Escape from the Pit right now, and I killed the A dragon before getting a portion of the password for getting to the surface. Am I completely screwed, or can I get the final part elsewhere?

Hit shift+d and type "ikilledathron".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Is Black Fortress still what I should be starting out with if I'm new to Spiderweb games or is there some new hotness?

Avernum: Escape From the Pit also makes a really good jumping in point.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Man Crystal Souls was really freakin' good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Avadon 3 slated for September release :toot:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
oh man i just watched the trailer: there's now a little line that tells you what path your character will take in battle, as well as how many steps it takes to reach it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Could someone tell me how Avadon 2 ends? Burned out during the last partner sidequest, my hard drive died since, and I'm nooooot particularly interested in playing the entire game to get caught up just before Avadon 3 drops.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
There's also a guy... somewhere? on the island who will reset a faction's opinion of you if you betray them horribly, IIRC. If you play very carefully, you can actually ally yourself with all the major factions across the course of the game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you're not playing on torment or anything it's more than possible to finish only picking up select items.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Geneforge 1 probably has my favourite story of all the SW games I've played.

Also, fwiw, Redbeard has the same pool in Avadon 1. You can talk to him about it and iirc he just days something along the lines of "please stop snooping around my room". It probably changes an ending too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

how many times can this dude remake the same games?

Looks like the answer is "twice"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:dance: Yeah! Perhaps by then I'll be clear of LP obligations!

Though I admit I'd hoped to hear of the new IP. Oddly, I don't see an official announcement on the site, forums, or Twitter. Oversight?

I don't think there was ever going to be a new IP, it was just speculation from goons on what "new game" meant.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, but that's the next release before he starts alternating with the Geneforge remakes like he did with Avadon/Avernum.

Are Geneforge remakes confirmed? Because if so :fap:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do canisters work on anyone? Or just humans, or just Shapers? Like, how do they work exactly beyond "modifying your genetic code" - could a servile use a canister? (pretty sure the answer to that is no but I don't recall dialogue where it was explicitly said)

One of the first thing Learned Pinner says in one is that using canisters kills the serviles.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

You better come back to marry Spider

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Vogel has committed the sin of swapping the healing potion from the green potion sprite to the orange one and for this... he must die...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That the quartermaster at fort emergence doesn't give me the back-pay on my per diem is absolute horseshit. gently caress you Micah see if I explore the surface once I've formed the Union of Adventurers.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Can anyone give a rundown on how much tool use, magic lore, and luck I'll need this time around?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

I'm considering instead of starting Avernum 3 working my way through the whole trilogy and was wondering if anyone had any good build suggestions

If you're playing on normal or casual, you can pretty much do whatever feels cool. On torment you'll probably want something like three mage spell casters and one guy to soak hits, with cleric spells on everyone. You can still do fine though, it'll just take longer and you'll use more items.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You probably shouldn't use javelins though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Also: I think he changed how encumberance works in A3, since now there seems to just be a bunch of items that say "This will encumber your mage".

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Now that Vogels five year plan of Avadon and Avernum alternation is over, is there any word on what his next project might be?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's also worth noting that the way Vogel scales his games, unless you've really hosed up your party, by the end you'll be completely stomping anything except the uber-bosses (if he's even put any in the game you're playing).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I wished Noted Thread Poster Thuryl had LP'd Avernum after she had finished with Might and Magic. Alas.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Usable once between rests / visits to major cities, same as with the Vahnatai spell crystals.

I think my favorite Xian artifact so far is the rock, which does nothing but create stone blocks in your inventory.

Though, I've found that I hardly need energy potions in this playthrough. I suspect part of that is that I'm so familiar with Exile 3 that I know what order to do things in, but part of it may also just be that friendly towns are a lot more common compared to in 1 and 2. So far the only time I've needed a top-off was in the giant caverns, which is by far the largest dungeon up to that point in the game. Ironically, it was my mage that needed the energy, not my priest, despite priest spells generally being far more expensive than mage spells.

It's probably not your familiarity; I'm going into this one blind and I have no idea where to go and energy has never been an issue. My lack of familiarity means RIP the overworld though I guess.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

I usually dump a couple of points in first aid throughout the party. In dungeons where you're usually going to fight crowds of things you get a pretty nice top-up after each encounter, and if they're summoning adds that's even better since it scales with enemies dispatched and enemy summons are generally weak.

On the other hand, I've got effectively 0 points in first aid and have never run out of energy so why bother?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ah, I see that Jeff still hasn't fixed the hosed up boat pathfinding :allears:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
How on earth are you supposed to solve the second gremlin's riddle in the Drayd's glade? I just ended up looking up the answers.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ahahaha, lmao that the game ends with Prazac giving you 1,000 gold pieces. Like, drat, I made more than that clearing out the golem factory.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Impermanent posted:

what's a good entry to this huge huge list of titles for a tactical rpg vet but someone who hasn't really done a spidersoft game before?

Avernum: Escape From the Pit

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Buy them at a trainer.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Impermanent posted:

i got the spiderweb library in the setam sale - what order should i play these bad boys in and/or what's the best intro game? I'm a tactics rpg guy so i'm not afraid of complicated or involved stuff I just want something where the mechanics are pretty solid and there's good depth in the options so i can do interesting stuff.

Avernum: Escape From the Pit is a really good jumping in point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Is there any chance whatsoever that the latest game will solve all the issues that plagued Spiderweb for years? Documented and correct stat effects, Challenger actually working, thrown weapons worth using, characters able to understand that they can walk through other characters and don't have to take the long way around the entire map?

Bahahahahaha