Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I saw this twice. I don't think I've ever done that before, ever. I hope a good quality clip of Nux spraying himself with chrome turns up somewhere so I can make it into an animated av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Watching it for the second time, I noticed a cool/funny detail in the first WITNESS ME scene:

Just as the warboy leaps at the buzzard car with two spears, the lancer on Nux' car throws a spear in aswell. Which he probably could have done the entire time, instead of waiting for the injured warboy to chrome up.

But it makes total sense that he didn't, and that the Buzzard car didn't drive off (It was harpooned, but I think the harpoon comes away when the roof tears off). For a few seconds, the entire movie is holding its breath to WITNESS HIM.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Something else I realized just now: In the scene where Splendid shields Furiosa from Joe with her body, someone fires back at Joe and a warboy throws himself across the windscreen to take the bullet. Later on we see that the windscreen is bulletproof. Poor warboy :(

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

This is a pretty badass shot, but now that I have time to look at it I have to wonder what good the crossbow is doing after the car has already been hit by a loving grenade launcher

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Shame on me I guess for assuming any given projectile in this movie would not be explosive.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The Organic Mechanic also seems to be drooling permanently. Wants some of that milk I guess.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

I can't find any pictures of Larry and Barry online :(

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

effectual posted:

Did she really say "remember me" as a question? I thought it sounded more like a command, like she was inverting his 'witness me' cult to 'remember' what Furiosa is doing.

I think this is exactly it. The main theme of the film is "people are not things". Joe sees people only as things, which is what makes him evil. The Warboys hope to be witnessed by Joe, but they are as forgettable and disposable to him as any other weapon.

So instead of killing herself and hoping to be remembered as a loyal weapon, Furiosa commands him to remember her as an individual , and murders him.

I really like that this film can generate this type of discussion while also being the best action film I have ever seen. I think I'll see it a third time before it leaves theaters.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 25, 2015

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The surgeon was also drooling when he was tattooing Max at the beginning , I think.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Otisburg posted:

What would have elevated it to a whole new level would be-- stay with me here-- the vehicles are like characters in their own right, you feel me? So why not give THEM all dialogue, Look Who's Talking style?

In a bit of stunt casting have Mel Gibson be the War Rig.

"I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead"

"And I'm his buddy, the last of the Interceptors - V8 for short! Now let me tell you, we've been through a lot together. Max may seem a bit crazy - he ain't called Mad for nothin' - but he wasn't always like that. See it all started back when the Oil Wars began. .." *narration continues over first 15 minutes of the movie*

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Maybe Tom Hardy's character heard about the legend of Mad Max and at some point became so mentally unstable that he started believing he was Max.

I like this theory because it allows for a number of actors to play Max but also requires that they are all insane.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

This is a long thread to go through to check, but has anyone brought up the point that Max's plan to turn around and take the Citadel is the dumbest poo poo ever? I mean, say they didn't defeat Joe in the desert. Ok, they get back to the Citadel, they keep the pull ramp up, say thanks for bringing back the truck, and wait until the army digs out the pass again. Say Max gets back to the Citadel and a couple of Grandmas kill all the fanatic warriors that will fight until the death. Now what? That army is still out there.

In that case they just have to wait for the army to die of thirst, or refuse to let them in until they swear allegiance to Furiosa or w/e. There's a lot of different ways it could have gone but the point is if they control the water they have all the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

It's kind of starting to grate on me when people say Max is hardly in the movie. He has plenty of screentime. It's more that there are several main characters instead of just one. I shudder to think of the alternate version of this film which has less Furiosa/Nux/ Wives scenes so Max can have more scenes in which he spells out the plot and backstory.

• Locked thread