Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I've got it. I've got it in my hands. It's...it's real :qq:

Just too bad I can't actually play it until tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I lucked into finding a Speartuna and want to make this fish-sword. The MH Wikia lists its attack as much lower than it is in game (presumably it got changed in MH3U and the wiki didn't update), is this thing actually decent now? Does it upgrade? Also, when the hell can I get Frost Sacs? The Wikia is cute for things like song lists but even that's wrong half the time, is there anywhere else I can find recent info in a searchable format?

If you preordered from gamestop they gave you a download code for the bradygames strategy guide. I thought it'd be trash, but it's actually pretty impressive, it's like 500 pages of data. Guide says it upgrades twice, final form's got 730 ice, 912 raw, blue sharpness and is either late high rank or early G rank. Middle upgrade's also blue sharpness, a little less ice and raw, and is high rank. The sharpness is kind of crap, but that element's a little ridiculous. Probably just a gimmick weapon. Also it looks like you're only going to be getting Frost Sacs from Barioth.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

I was doofing around in the Tundra trying to get Lightcrystals to make the Felyshka because COME ON, NESTING-DOLL-CAT-GUNLANCE when I got a Rustshard.

It turned into a Breath Core Hammer. That means I'm not on a cursed table, right?

It could still be cursed w/r/t charms, but the fact that you got a Rustshard at all means it's not one of the really bad ones. Chances are it's not, though, and the regular cursed tables only really matter if you want to go super-late endgame charm-grinding.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doing offline Jade Barioth and I get nailed by his charge. All of a sudden something lands near me, I see it's his scalp and pan the camera to see Cha-Cha's followup attack dizzy him for me. Good...good work, little buddy :stare:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Carecat posted:

drat the Duramboros is a really step up :aaaaa: Even with a Pecospander+ which he should be weak to, I underestimated the amount of healing I would need :(

Yeah, Duramboros is just a gigantic slab of hitpoints with a tail attached. Make sure you bring a trap and some tranqs to cap him. Also, aim your attacks at his hump when you can, once it's broken it's far and away the most damageable part of his body. He'll still take a long-rear end time, but that should speed things up a bit.

Oh yeah, and wail away at his legs when he's doing the big spinning attack, he'll fall down and let you get some hits in on the hump.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm at it, is there any reason to use any attacks other than standing XXX or standing charged smash?

Sure is! The side slam attack with A does reasonable KO damage and can combo into the second two hits of the XXX combo afterwards. Does slightly less damage but dizzies a monster faster. The no-charge R attack can be comboed after for a second hit and can go into the triple pound for 5 hits total. The half-charge dash attack combos into the side slam by hitting X, then goes into the normal combo. It also does a ludicrous amount of KO damage and the dash is a great way to get in and get a couple of hits off, then either keep comboing if it seems like you can get away with it or bail if you can't.

Hammers Own

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Haha I can't wait to do this to a buddy of mine at work tomorrow, thanks.

I'm still at just after the first Qurupeco hunt and I'm still wearing the full Great Jaggi blademaster armor. When should I be considering getting a more defensive set? Or should I be thinking more about skills than numeric statistics?

Honestly, Jaggi armor can probably carry you all the way to High Rank if you're diligent about upgrading it. The big detour you might consider taking is Rathalos armor, or maybe Barroth if you're using a shield weapon. Rathalos has more defense, about the same level of Attack Up, and comes with speed sharpening which is boss as hell. Barroth's got a bit less Attack Up, but it also has Defense up and Guard+1.

Ciaphas posted:

Also is there really no way to move while charging a greatsword attack? That seems horribly limiting compared to the hammer, I'm having no luck finding a cutting weapon I like besides the long sword. :(

There isn't, greatsword's very much about predicting monster movements and timing your charges to coincide with them. Getting the timing right feels unbelievably satisfying, though, and getting off a level 3 charge always feels good.

e: in other words GOTCHA BITCH

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You can usually gain them from captures, just at a reduced chance. I'm not sure if you can get them from kills, so I'd suggest captures to be safe. I managed to get a Barroth Tail despite my hammer being unable to cut tail.

Please note that this isn't always the case. It varies from monster to monster. If you're looking for Lagiacrus tails, for instance, you need to actually lop his tail off. Pretty sure the same goes with Royal Ludroth and maybe a couple of others.

Caiphas, have you tried out dual blades? Because they're a ton of fun now.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ugh, I just checked and I need 167 more iron ore to upgrade my Iron Impact all the way up to Onslaught. Please, please tell me there's a way to get those in bulk that I'm forgetting about right now.

On the plus side, finally hit G-Rank tonight :getin:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I just got the first Lagiacrus quest. :ohdear: Is Dual Swords/S&S practical for him, or should I start training with the hammer?

e: What armor set should I move up to from the Wroggi set?

Either should work just fine. Just aim for his head and breast when you can and potentially farm up a decent fire weapon (I recommend the Rathalos/Rathian dual blades, personally) and you should be golden.

e: Honestly you can probably keep going in Wroggi until high rank, but Rathalos armor's pretty good, especially for dual blades. It's got a solid level of attack up and access to speed sharpening, both of which are handy as hell. Be warned, though, its lightning and dragon resists are total crap, so make sure you don't get hit by Lagi's lightning attacks. If you're considering branching out to Hammer/Greatsword, Lagiacrus armor's got ===FastCharge, which owns unbelievably hard.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 6, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how much does having a cursed table really matter? This is my first real MH game and if I have to restart just to be able to play the mid/late game then I'm not even sure I want to play. I'm not even sure if I need to but I wanted to check with you guys first. I don't mind being slightly gimped if it means I can definitely stick with my current character.

Two of the seventeen tables lose access to the rusted and ancient weapons, which is kind of annoying. Three of the other 15 tables get fewer charms to pick from, which, eh. I honestly wish the OP didn't make such a huge deal out of it, getting one of the cursed tables is irritating but not exactly gamebreaking. Also, are you definitely sure that you got a cursed table? Have you checked yet?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gobbledygoat posted:

When you cap a monster in free hunt is there anyway of getting stuff from it? If not I'm a little mad about that wasted stuff.

No, but you've got a higher chance of getting rare commodities when you talk to Junior after you're done free hunting and you get a lot more resource points.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Indeed. Not sure what a :witf: or a :waluigi: would even look like though. v:shobon:v

(mind you, any excuse to link that comic is a good one.)

I think I've decided dual swords fit me best as far as cutting weapons go. I think I still like the hammer more but I twitch every time I bring it to fight a monster without a tail :(. That said, I'm not sure what the full archdemon or whatever gauge actually does. I noticed it enables the quick dodge while demon mode is off; is that it, or is there a stat buff?

Basically once that gauge fills up, you get the attack boost from being in demon mode even without activating demon mode and you can slipdash. If you do activate, you get a much larger attack boost and can use slipdash and demon flurry without costing gauge and all your attacks fill the gauge up. The gauge depletes over time, through hits outside of archdemon, and through using the slipdash outside of archdemon. When it wears off, you're back to normal.

Also just a heads up, you can do the demon flurry attack (A+X when you're triggered) at the end of a normal combo for like a fifteen hit combo. You can also link the full X combo into an AA combo into the full X combo into demon flurry for a zillion god-drat hits. You also stay in trigger mode for as long as a combo's going, even if your stamina bar runs out. Also I pretty much prefer going with elemental dual-blades, you're hitting so often that the extra element damage really stacks up. Only trick is that if you want to go that way, you need a full set of elemental dual blades and a decent lookup chart for monster weaknesses. If you don't care enough for that, high raw high sharpness dual blades are definitely good enough.

Oh yeah and bring shitloads of whetstones, dual blades lose sharpness twice as fast as other weapons.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is it worth bothering to keep up green sharpness on this longsword that has a tiny sliver of it (I get maybe 10 swings at most) and a great whack of yellow?

Depends on what you're fighting. If it's something like Qurupeco, where being yellow makes the fight significantly more irritating, then I'd say probably yes. Otherwise it's a helpful boost but not essential.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I've got my hammer set assembled! Sharpness+1, Exploiter, KO, Focus. :getin:

What the heck set are you using to get that? I spent an hour with rear end trying to come up with a way to get all those and came up with bupkis.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm 99% sure the answer's yes, but regular Jhen Mohran does drop Elder Dragon Blood, right? I'm not minutes away from wasting a shitload of time?

Also, I'd like to go on record as saying I miss having non-large Elder Dragons in the game. Don't really want to do Ceadeus every time I need blood.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Norns posted:

If it makes you feel any better, there's a high rank version of that dipshit too!

Although at least that fight starts you off in the last room instead of making you do the whole miserable first two areas. Also Neo-Crimson, I read somewhere if you chop off his beard in the first two rooms he'll stop farting around and rush to area 3. I mean, it'll take you most of the run to get it off, but at least it's a goal to work towards.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

^^ BOOSH. Finally I'll be able to read text. ^^

So who'd we piss off to get the new thread title? Anyone know?

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Do you mean something like this?

Oh my god that owns so much. Thank you forever.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

So slime sns/dual swords are basically the best non-ranged weapon?

Mailer posted:

It was an irc comment about a group doing a g-rank giggi. Two slime DS users (though only one of us had sharp+1. Just saying, Ramen) and a slime gunlance pretty much stunlocked giggi. At one point he tried to jump to the roof but got caught with an explosion hit on the way up and did the legs flailing animation before falling back down. He spent the entire less-than-a-minute fight either flinching or on his back.

It was why_slime_is_dumb.avi.

Yup.

I like the idea of slime but it's way, way too good. Doesn't help that the Brachydios weapons are all more or less on par with the best stuff for their tier, too. You're not only getting the best status effect in the game, you're getting an extremely good weapon to use it with.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mailer posted:

If you're in it for the single-player and just trying to beat all the village monsters, then yes it detracts from the game experience and you should make a bunch of different weapons to play with. Slime is broken and turns most fights into <10 minute mashfests. Every quest is just waiting for the monster to fall over. You've got such a limited section of the game to get through that breaking it in half is probably not a good idea.

In multiplayer, especially G rank, it's slimetime all the way. You've got people who've been carried all the way to HR8 with a barely high rank set. Random armor sets with no skills. Pubbies are there who still haven't figured out how to bring non-box items. You're racing against the clock to get in under the inevitable triple cart. Making these situations even worse is masochistic.

Alternatively, you're me and don't care because you just want to rock monsters all day. :black101:

Oh come on, it's not that bad. I've had like ten HR/G-Rank parties and of those like one's been totally incompetent (he wore LR gear to steel uragaan and ran off to start mining. Only popped in long enough to mine out all the nodes and mine uragaan when me and a friend of mine knocked him over). If anything, I've mostly found cool, chill pubbies out there.

Oh right, there was that one rear end in a top hat who started cursing me out for asking to cap Zinogre. gently caress that guy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Speedboat Jones posted:

Are low damage weapons like dual swords and sword&shield pretty much a case of "element, status, or nothing"? I've never used a SnS or DS very much outside of using the Rustshard SnS in MH3 or some element DS in MHFU.

Dual swords can also go with super-high affinity and just buzzsaw critical hits forever. Think the highest I've theorycrafted out is like 70% affinity, which is a pretty friggin' hefty damage boost. Elemental might still be more damage overall, but you've got to make a bunch of specialized dual blades and armor sets to really get that to the same level of stupidity.

S&S, yeah, I can't see that being so hot outside of using elemental or status. Don't know the weapon that well, though, so I might be wrong.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

why I feel terrible for him

Never, ever feel bad for Plesioth. That motherfucker's got it coming.

On a related note, just did the 3U version of Green Plesioth for the first time last night. Hoo boy. Still steamin'.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nechronic posted:

Maxed out Lucent Narga Longsword, Critical Eye +3, Challenger +2 = 90% affinity with purple sharpness :getin:

Maxed out regular Narga dual blades with an activated Latent Power +1 gives you 100% affinity and -50% stamina consumption :unsmigghh:

e: oh right and Critical Eye +3

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 26, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Is there anything that SnS is good at? It seems like all the stabs mostly hit the same small area, with exception to the leaping strike which has good mobility but still hits the same general small zone. The damage seems pretty low as well, even after crafting up to the Devastation version.

It does a lot of hits pretty quickly, so it's not bad with elemental or status effects. You can also throw on Wide Area and hide behind your shield to be a pretty unkillable healer. Other than that, yeah, it's a bit jack-of-all-trades.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Brett824 posted:

Just turn off your mind and join an online Goldbeard farming group for like 3 hours and sell all the mats you get. You'll be pretty rich, pretty quickly.

To give some numbers to this, G. Ceadeus Shards and Coats (by far his two most common drops) are worth 7k each. Deep Dragongems and Luminous Organs are worth 5k, fur's worth 5.6k, and Hardhorns and Dark Dragongems are 12k and 15k respectively. Between carves and rewards you should be pulling in at least 70k a run, no problem, and that's not counting the nulberries you're farming up and the junk your boats are bringing back while you're doing this. Run him maybe half a dozen times and sell all the parts and you should have upwards of 500k zenny in exchange for an hour and a half of tedium.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mailer posted:

Hammers: Svarog Starsmasher, Archambra Resurgence or something else?

Archambra Resurgence is the go-to, Svarog Starsmasher's also very good if you (understandably) don't want to farm Duramboros and has arguably the sweetest name in the game. Other than that, Nero's Chaos is OK if you've got Sharpness+1 and Grongigas isn't bad if you can deal with the negative affinity.

e2: Skimming the list again, looks like Sharpness+1 is basically mandatory to get purple on any of these. Archambra probably wins just for having the most purple.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 29, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

quaunaut posted:

Right, I've already done several cap quests- but I was wanting to cap monsters on kill quests, for the extra rewards.

They're all found inside that cave? Huh.

You can also buy Thunderbugs (but not spiderwebs) from the old woman in Tanzia Port. She doesn't sell them often, so get some money together and buy as many as you can when they're up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Finally got my hammer clown suit put together. Earplugs, Sharpness +1, Destroyer, Stamina Drain, and Knockout King, all on one set. :getin:

Especially happy because the set can only work with one charm on my table and I just happened to get it doing the Uragaan event quest for shits and giggles. Still just over the moon that that happened.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Donald Duck posted:

Took your advice and switched to dual swords and made some Jagged Shotels - I tried some of the larger weapons but I end up getting disorientated sheathing and unsheathing constantly and would keep accidentally using items. The change made a fairly big difference in how long it took to kill the bird, it made it so much easier to hit him in the chest since the attack animation was a lot quicker. Probably down to about 10 minutes now. Unfortunately he kept catching me off guard with his fire when he does it without clapping his wings which seems to wreck you if you don't have anything to cure the burn. I also beat the Wroggi easily, he seemed significantly easier than Peco. I'll probably go with the Royal Ludroth next

Stupid question probably but is it possible to go to the Sandy Plains/Flooded Forest without a quest or do just pick an easy gather one and do your mining/herbing before you turn it in?

Just a heads-up, you can roll three times on land or once when you're standing in water to cure being on fire (and slime, once you get that far)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mcpringles posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for some good high rank hammers or gun lances? I just made the G.Agna set and want to try out GL again. The Black Diablos set has some pretty awesome skills so I figure its a good excuse to make a hammer set.

I pretty much used Iron Impact and the Gunhammer until I hit G. Other than those, Barroth's hammer looks good and do the Zinogre hammer, the Azure Rathalos hammer and Fang Hammer "Ruin." If you're looking for a decent starter high-rank hammer (which, given that you've killed Aglaktor, you probably aren't), the Peco Flint's got blue sharpness and OK raw.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Took a couple weeks off after I unlocked Mark of a Hero, finally came back today and finished it. Holy gently caress, what a quest. Took me half a dozen tries to get past Ivory Lagi, then slaughtered Brachydios and Azure Rathalos on my first run at them. That was loving amazing, easily one of the most tense and fun fights in the game. Felt even better because I didn't have to cheese them with a Kelbi Bow or slimeswords, just hammered them into the ground.

Now for Alatreon :suicide:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I did not have too much trouble with Pink Rathian really in the village questline,HR Rathalos was more of a problem.

Edit: Any good HR Blademaster armorsets that are worth forging? Or should I keep trucking with my Wroggi S set and wait for G rank? Also does slime benefit from status effect up?

Rathalos S is good, so're Rath Soul and the Zinogre set. Honestly, though, you can probably get away with just waiting for G.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

I'm pretty sure its the gravios armor from Unite. I think, at least, I don't have the game on hand to check.

Sure is, nice eye.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

How the gently caress do I fight Jhen Moran? My ship always gets destroyed. I seem to do no damage whatsoever even in the especially in the second phase where he just pumps up and bellyflops on the ship.

Yeah, Jhen can be kind of a pain. You pretty much need to be careful to mitigate as much damage as possible in the first phase, because with one person you're going to have a hell of a time doing enough damage to stop him from blowing up the boat. Here's how I usually go about doing the solo fight:

First phase I grab as many ballista bolts as I can, along with the Binder and the ant-dragon bombs. Unless you're using late G-Rank stuff, you're probably going to be doing more damage with cannon fire and ballista shots than you are going onto his back (although you'll probably still want to do it to break his fins and maybe get some mining done). When he moves perpendicular to the boat and you can climb on his tusks, drop both the Anti-Dragon bombs on whichever tusk you'd like for a shitload of damage. Use the Binder to interrupt Jhen when he's about to attack, unless he's about to do the belly-flop attack or the thing where he swims at the front of the boat and tries to eat it. For the belly-flop, pop the hunting gong to interrupt it, the Binder won't do poo poo. You can use the Dragonator on the front of the boat to stop him from eating the boat. Use it when he goes down for the second time and it should stop the attack. Otherwise, keep shooting his tusks with ballista bolts (aim for his tusks with these, it does better damage and you'll need the breaks to make his gear) and nailing him with cannonballs. Also make sure to jump off the boat at some point to go grab the other stack of ballista bolts from the chest, it's faster than gathering up a full stack yourself.

Second phase is basically a crapshoot in single player, but you can stack the odds a bit if you do everything right. At the start, drop a smoke bomb (apparently this makes it so he can't target the boat with rocks or something? I don't know, probably confirmation bias, but it takes zero time so you might as well do it), then run out and start whacking at his little hand fins until he gets into cannon and ballista range. Again, you're probably doing way more damage with those than you are with regular attacks. Once he gets into range to start bellyflopping, you'll need to stop his attacks with the stuff on the ship. I usually start with the Dragonator on the first bellyflop, then ballista binder the next attack, then gong during the next attack to buy yourself some time for the Binder to come off of cooldown. Otherwise, keep peppering him with ship attacks until you run out of ammo, then go back to trying to break his fins. You're going to take some damage here, there's basically no avoiding it, but if you're careful you should be OK as far as keeping the boat alive goes.

Other tips, Felyne Bombardier and Artillery King both boost cannon and ballista damage, so those are awesome to have. Rhenoplos X gives you Artillery King or you can gem it in. Jhen's also very weak to dragon, for what it's worth. Also if you're using a gunlance, don't Wyvern Fire while you're on Jhen's back. Just trust me on that one.

One last note, I don't know how possible this is for you, but even having one more person around to help makes the fight a hell of a lot less of a crapshoot and a lot more fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Where is the Ballista Binder Ammo in Alatreon's arena? Despite having never used it, I'm assuming the best time to shoot it is when Alatreon is in the air correct?

You don't need to get Binder ammo to shoot it in the Alatreon fight. Only the ballista on the south end of the arena shoots the Binder, the one up north shoots regular ballista shots. Yeah, only use it when he's in the air, and ideally when he's close to the Binder platform for some free face shots.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Finally got a WiiU and 3U for it. Now the big question - do I port my save over or start fresh? :krakken:

Also, is the default gamepad monstrosity decent enough or should I grab a Pro ASAP?

I've been playing on the gamepad and not minding it, try it out for a couple fights and see if getting a Pro is worth it. It's also worth noting that as far as I can tell, exactly zero other games use the pro (although the counter-argument is that the Wii U has zero other games worth playing at the moment, so).

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ChibiSoma posted:

Leaving dumb little drawings about my escapades might be my favorite part of a WiiU. Went for Jaggid Shotels and got them upgraded to when they split into Baggi/Lagia variants, so I drew my hunter prancing away with her new swords while an annoyed Great Jaggi stands there watching.

So how many of you actually get together for hunts still? I'm sad I'm only just getting the online-capable version. It'd be nice to get a regular group together instead of playing with randoms. If the IRC room's still dead, what's my best bet for finding some fellow hunters?

Go online and pick a random room with people. I've had a couple of awful experiences but overall the pubbies aren't bad at all in this one, and every now and then you'll get a group of four chill, cool people to prance around with.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dinotron posted:

So does anyone actually use the IRC channel anymore? The last few times I've been on I haven't had any responses. I need help with my HR 6 urgent and the pubbies are useless.

gently caress it, are you still looking for people? Because I'd be up for a couple fights.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

140 hours logged in this game, and I think the absolute, number one thing that's missing from Freedom Unite is the rainbow armor pigment. Hot pink just isn't the same :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

Vulcan Vendetta is definitely worth using with Awakening. Pretty good GS!

Edit: My team just trashed an A. Lagi and then when he was almost dead he killed 3 of us in one attack. :sigh:

Hahaha, that reminds me of one high-rank rathalos fight I did. Everything was going great until one rage he did that three fireball volley, nailed three separate people (me included), and one-shotted each of them. No one could believe it.

• Locked thread