Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
give me one of the remaining 4 teams at random! I'll be anyone.

**oh they are listed 3 posts above this one. Uhh.. Buffalo I guess.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I'm in as the Buffalo Sabres. My goal is to draft a team that is the exact opposite in every way than the current roster of the Buffalo Sabres.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I agree to the rules, and I have my pick ready to go at #8 :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

picking Crosby 1st overall is boring :(

did you even consider any other players? or is answering that tampering with the draft?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Well I guess you know IANSS that Tavares was not one of my top 3 players that I would have selected at that spot, since I sent you my list last night for the #8 pick.

The thing that gives me some concern about Tavares and ultimately influenced his standing on my draft board is that in the past he appears to have been a pretty mediocre possession player. Over the past 3 full seasons (2009-2012) at even strength, players on the Islanders have directed roughly the same ratio of shots at the opposition net whether Tavares was on the ice or not. It seems like one of the stranger outcomes of the last few years considering whatever elite talent the Islanders do have would have been on a line with Tavares, and it should not have been too difficult to stand out on those teams.

He does have elite playmaking and finishing talent though, so he makes the best of the oppurtunities he does get, and there seems to have been a major correction in his possession stats for this season - no doubt a large part of the reason why the Islanders are where they are in the standings. I don't think anyone can really complain about that pick.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Buffalo Sabres select Jonathan Toews with the 8th overall selection of the SAS NHL Fantasy Draft

That's right kids, Toews will be bringing the cup to Buffalo some day soon!

Cap Hit - $6,300,000 through the 2014-15 season

I think this is pretty much the obvious pick at this position in the draft, Toews is probably the best player on probably the best team in the league, and his peak years are still ahead of him. The goal coming into the draft was to select 3 or 4 quality core players with preference being given to the younger stars in the league, and this pick obviously goes a long way towards accomplishing that objective. It becomes much easier to fill in the spaces around these players when one or more of them has the ability to contribute in every facet of the game.

I mean basically Toews is one of maybe 2 or 3 guys in the entire league other than Crosby who's name you could provide with a straight face when somebody asks the old question of "If you could have one player to build your team around, who would it be?". He has amazing puck possession skills, as his team has directed upwards of 58% of all even strength shots towards the opposition net when he's on the ice the last 3 years vs. 52% when he's off. That +6% difference over that time span has only been matched by the Sedin brothers in Vancouver among all the forwards in the league. Toews has shown the ability to play 20 minutes a night and above against the best players the opposition can put on the ice, and dominate the game all the same. He is recognized is one of the elite defensive players among forwards in the NHL, and a top player in the face off dot and at the shootout to boot. I don't think there's any way to go wrong picking best player available, and I feel that's clearly what I've done here. I guess I can admit that Toews would have been my number 2 pick in the draft behind Crosby, but I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say on that point.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

I think Toews is definitely a top five guy, and would not argue much at 2. 8th he is a steal, although he will be due for a big raise after the next season.

Wild is up!

Yeah I could see him being the first player to take down a 10 million dollar cap hit if league revenues go up as much as they seem to be. Toews is the most important player on the Hawks, and if they lose him to free agency it will be very tough to recover for Chicago. I'll be picking some players on expiring contracts in the middle rounds of the draft to free up some space for that big raise in a couple years time.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah can't find much wrong with picking Kopitar, he's one of the elite forwards in the league.

Draft should be getting pretty interesting pretty quickly, we're just about out of young franchise players. People in the 2nd half of the first round are going to have some interesting decisions.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

I put some automatic salary cap calculation stuff at the bottom of the first sheet of the Google Doc but there's no way I'm going to copy and alter that formula for everyone. I did the Jets, Stars and Capitals and then I gave up.

you were nearly there! I just had to change one part of the formula and we had it :)

Just enter the salaries for your players on the line and it will collect at the bottom.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

Nope, for your NHL roster. Your AHL team can be pretty much whoever.

are we going to respect AHL roster rules? there's limits on the number of players you can have on an AHL team over a certain age and with 100 games NHL experiance.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Tell me if you don't mind. I love sumif but I'm not clear on how to keep the cell references from locking when you copy/move things around. Is that what the $'s are for?

yeah, the dollar signs go in front of what you to lock. =$A$1 will lock that reference to cell A1 no matter where you drag the formula, whereas =A1 will move the reference so many columns or rows depending on where you drag / copy the formula to. =$A1 will lock the reference in column A of the spreadsheet so you can copy / drag the formula down and have the reference move to cell A2, A3 etc.. =A$1 locks the reference in row 1 of the spreadsheet, but you can copy / drag the formula over to a different column and have the reference move to cell B1, C1, etc.

It's alot harder to explain well than I thought it would be. Hopefully that clears it up.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

oh well, I'm sure there's atleast one person who cheers for the Boston Bruins on this forum who could be convinved to take over that team's draft.

I mean I guess if you're on these forums every waking minute and constantly checking the thread it's been slow going, but I think for most people this is a look at the thread once in the morning and once at night sort of deal, and there will probably be atleast a few players picked in the meantime for you to comment on. IANSS is going to send you a PM when it's your turn so you don't have to monitor the thread constantly.

Oh and Shea Weber.. I don't know about that dude. Yeah he plays tough and has a huge shot, but I think there has to be some concern that his overall possession and offensive numbers were inflated playing with another elite defender the few years and on a PP who's only focus is getting him shots at the net. That contract is also not very good for a guy approaching the 2nd half of his career. To me there's younger defencemen still left on the board, as well as veteran defencemen who are better overall players.

As for Henrik Lundqvist, I think it's really tough to predict a goaltender's performance over any sort of future term, but he's been the most consistent goaltender in the league by far over the last 5 years. I figured he would be either the first or second goaltender taken in the draft, and now that most of the elite franchise players are gone I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a run on the position.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

so what's up with that 2012-13 save percentage?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think if Parise was still on his old contract, or even a reasonable one in the 6 million dollar range like some of the other guys that have been picked in the first round, he would have been the 4th or 5th best forward available. Pretty much all of the attributes you look for in a franchise player / leader are there, but that contract is just going to be such an anchor down the line and it's tough to look past that. His offensive production is going to drop as he moves into his 30's and that will be very rough on the Wild in the long run.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Huh. I guess I have to be the one to say that I think Jamie Benn was picked too high.

This year has soured him for me a bit. We Dallas fans were hopeful that he could make the transition to center and compete with the other top line centers in our division, but it is now apparent that the defensive side of his game is not good enough to handle that responsibility. Most fans I know are in favor of moving him back to wing and trying to find a two way center to play on his line and cover some of the shortcomings.

He's still likely to be close to a ppg player over the prime years of his career, but I don't consider him to be a franchise player. I was optimistic of potentially picking up one of those in the draft this year but then the stupid Stars had to go and start winning games after we dumped all our talented upcoming UFA's.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Not knowing in advance the other 29 picks, I think Patrice Bergeron is the best selection of the 2nd round.

I had him in consideration in the top 10.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah, Ekman-Larsson is one of the top young defenceman in the game, he's had a massive breakout season this year on a poor Phoenix team and is great value in the 2nd round.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Hmm I'm in the on-deck circle but I'm starting to doubt that I'll be able to pick tonight. Probably won't be on until around noon EST tomorrow either. Hopefully that's all right.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

well I'll be awake for a while yet... I'll send my list to IANSS when I retire for the night. It might be me being paranoid but I'm not so eager to send my pick to someone who could well end up selecting the player for the team in front of me if DC doesn't show up soon.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Buffalo Sabres select Slava Voynov - Defense - formerly of the Los Angeles Kings.

I had a real difficult time with this one, it was basically down to Voynov and 5 or 6 good first line forwards. Seeing Ekman-Larsson, Shattenkirk, and Landeskog go earlier in the 2nd round was enough to convince me not to gamble on the young talent still being there in the 3rd round though, whereas hopefully at least one of my good forwards still will be.

Voynov has earned an increase from 18 minutes a night for the Kings in last year's Stanley Cup campaign to nearly 23 minutes a night on the 2012-13 still really drat good Los Angeles squad, trailing only Drew Doughty among defenders on the team. The plan going into the draft was to lock up 3 or 4 young and talented core pieces, and if those guys happen to be top minute players from elite teams around the league then that's even better. Voynov is only 23 years of age and has a good all around game - he gets consistent time on the PK as well as the PP, and has done a good job producing some goals and assists at even strength this season leading all Kings defenders with 16 ES points (4th on the team among all players). As an added bonus he is signed for only $816,667 this season and under team control as a restricted free agent, so even after an expected raise to the 3 to 4 million dollar range his contract will remain affordable. Keeping costs down on Voynov should allow Buffalo the cap flexibility to pursue a more highly paid veteran defender to join Voynov on the top pairing.

**Comparing Voynov to some of the previously selected young D, obviously he's a step down from Doughty and Pietrangelo, but I think there are some favourable points of comparison between him, Ekman-Larsson, and Shattenkirk. Voynov has been more productive at even strength this year than either of those guys, and is probably a better overall defender than Shattenkirk. Additionally Shattenkirk has played almost exclusively with Pietrangelo on the Blues top pairing, while Yandle has always been out there with OEL. From what I can remember (can't find the website that gives you this stuff right now) Voynov generally does not play with Drew Doughty. Being out there with one of those top end / elite defenders has a real positive influence on a player's game, so Voynov putting up these numbers without the help of Doughty is a real impressive accomplishment in my eyes.

***I found the site. Voynov has played all of 3 minutes at even strength with Drew Doughty this year. I'm pretty shocked that they've never even spent a single game together on the blue line, but I guess it speaks to how much confidence the King's coaching staff has in him. He's as much the anchor of the King's 2nd pairing as Doughty is on the 1st.

****And I've embarrassed myself, OEL never plays with Yandle. Yeah he's pretty good.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 14, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There are boatloads of great players left. The more Ladds and Voynovs being picked, the more great players left for us.

Whatever you say, guy who picked a goaltender in the 1st round.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

stab posted:

I take offense to that statement good sir :mad:

well I'm sorry, there's like 20 guys who have played 10+ games this year and put up save percentage over 92%. I mean it's not like the olden days in the 90's where there were like 5 guys in the entire league that were the star goaltenders who you wanted if you planned to win a Stanley Cup, every year there's that many guys that have breakout seasons and as many again who fall off the map. The market of 23 year old 1st pairing defenceman who are on pace for 45+ points in a full season and are stud defenders in their own end is a bit more limited.

Concerning Tuukka Rask specifically, I think I would be concerned that Anton Khudobin is basically putting up numbers that are as good as Rask's. I suspect that Boston's strong defensive system has a strong positive effect on goaltender stats, so keep that in mind when evaluating goaltenders on the Bruins. I'm sure that's not really news to anyone who can remember Tim Thomas putting up the best statistical goaltender season of all time 3 years ago.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Verviticus posted:

dang, ten games!! thats like 300 saves

I was trying to point out that the difference in goaltending talent in the league is not nearly as massive as it was some time ago. Right now the average goaltender has a .917 or .918 save percentage, whereas .925 is considered top level goaltending. As mentholmoose pointed out the difference in expected wins over the course of an entire season is not large, and over a 4-7 game playoff series it's not a much of a factor at all.

And no I'm not a big fan of GVT, for goaltenders it's basically that calculation you described where they figure out how many saves an "average" goaltender would make facing as many shots as the subject, then take the difference between actual and typical to determine how many goals are saved. I don't know what other calculations could be done to determine goaltending talent considering there are not many stats kept for goalies besides save percentage and GAA, but that sort of equation completely ignores the effect of defensive systems and even something as simple as the effect a scorekeeper can have on goaltender stats by counting more or less shots against the home team.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

eXXon posted:

Eh, maybe I should have drafted Yandle. Toews/Yandle would be a sweet pair for a few playoff runs. But I've got plenty of cap flexibility and I'm confident that I'm not Jay Feaster or Jim Rutherford.

uhh you picked Claude Giroux, not Jonathan Toews. I picked Jonathan Toews and you can't have him.

I prefer Hedman to Yandle too, I think you made the right call there.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah, Kesler was someone I had in mind for my 2nd round pick - maybe my 2nd or 3rd favorite forward available at that time. I'm still holding out hope for picking the top forward on that list after the next two teams go, but it looks like that will have to wait for sometime tomorrow :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I may come back to edit a picture and some other stuff into this one, but Buffalo selects RW and captain of the St. Louis Blues, David Backes

Backes is signed to a $4,500,000 a year contract through the 2015-16 season, and is 28 years old.

Backes is well known to anyone who plays fantasy hockey, if there's a counting stat used in your weekly matchup he probably accumulates it. Backes always seems to lead St. Louis in hits, blocked shots (as a forward), faceoffs won (despite being a RW), penalty minutes (as a non-thug), and between all of that he typically pots somewhere in the range of 20-30 goals and 50-60 points. Backes is having a tough go of things in 2013 - like most of the rest of his team - but we expect that playing alongside Jonathan Toews will go a long way towards getting that offensive production back up to typical levels. Indeed it should be an interesting combination to keep an eye on, as Backes has not had an elite linemate like Toews in his career in the NHL whereas Toews has not had a physical presence like Backes on his line in recent memory.

Of course I didn't select Backes because of his fantasy hockey excellence, I believe he is legitemately the best player available based on my anaylsis of possession statistics and taking into considering his reputation for being a leader on the ice and one of the top defensive forwards in the league. I actually had Backes as best player available for my 2nd round pick, before siding with Voynov due to positional scarcity. One of my concerns entering the draft was ending up with a NHL roster of very similar players who all play quiet puck possession games, and while I'm still not going to go out of my way draft any grinders or thugs onto my team, it was nice to pick up one of the more intimidating forwards in the league to give my Buffalo Sabres a different look and address the physical side of the game that has been for the most part passed over so far in this draft. There's been many great forward pairings drafted so far, but I can't imagine any of them would enjoy much success lining up against two guys like Toews and Backes, so I think the selection of those two players is a great start to assembling a dominant top line in this new NHL league :)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Thufir posted:

I think Backes is a center.

I'm going by the positions on hockey reference and other stats websites, but I do notice that on NHL.com he is listed for a center for the blues. Maybe we could get some clarification from a St. Louis Blues fan? From what I remember watching games where the Stars played the Blues Backes is always camped out in front of the opposition net in the attacking zone which I think of as more of a wing player's duty, but he does take the most faceoffs of any individual player on the Blues going back many years so I guess that makes him a center. He should fit in fine on the wing with Toews anyway, because he is perfect for that heavy forecheck / drive the net / create space for the elite offensive talent role.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

The Buffalo Sabres select LW Brandon Saad from the Chicago Blackhawks with their 4th round pick.

alright, I'll first explain this pick by saying that I am having a difficult time predicting when people are going to be drafted. This pick may be too early, Saad could very easily be around in 14 turns when I get to go again but given how early certain rookies and 2nd year players have been going I don't think I can take the chance that nobody else will select him.

... and I'm being called out of the office. I guess that will do for now, I'll update this post later with further explanations. Basically, if he's good enough for the Blackhawks 1st line he's good enough for me.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

That's a laugher

alright... he is the best rookie in the western conference this year, care to explain your derision?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

you guys are simply ignoring the stats if you think that Saad is simply coasting along on Toews and Hossa's production. When those 3 are on the ice togather, they put 60% of the shots on the opposition goaltender. When Toews and Hossa are out there with any other players on the Blackhawks, that number is closer to 53%. Additionally, Hossa and Saad's even strength production per 60 minutes this year has been pretty much even, with a slight edge to Hossa due to his collecting a couple more secondary assists on the year at even strength. I'm not saying Saad is an all-star level forward yet, but he clearly adds something to that top line and has been one of Chicago's most efficient producers of offense this season despite limited minutes on the PP.

David Backes and Jonathan Toews is not a huge leap down from Marian Hossa and Jonathan Toews, and unlike the Blackhawks there will be significant minutes on the 1st PP unit to be had for Brandon Saad. I would feel confident in predicting 50 to 60 points on a full season from Saad, and at his salary (with many years of team control left) you'll have a difficult time finding a better bargain.

Also I've spent like half as much on my team as pretty much anyone else, so if it's an issue of picking up some guys that have names that everyone knows I'm sure I'll be able to find some who's salaries make them unattractive to most other people in the draft.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

yeah well unfortunately I'm not paid by any NHL team to scout hockey games and I don't have time to watch 5 games a night on center ice so stats is what I have to go off of when I've only personally seen Saad play on a handful of occassions - he's made a good "first" impression on me by the way.

Now granted this sort of analysis is more difficult to do with a rookie player (in a half season no less), but I'll make my point another way. Has being saddled with Brandon Saad held Jonathan Toews back in any way this season? He's producing as many points as he ever has, and that line as a collective has *probably* been the most dominant in the league this season. Hossa is more difficult to compare to previous seasons because a) he's been injured and b) he's in the natural decline phase of his career anyway, but it doesn't look to me like he's doing any worse than could have reasonably been expected at the start of the season when Saad was still in the AHL.

I mean someone brought up a certain player earlier who has played the vast majority of his ice time this season with Ryan Suter, Zach Parise, and Mikko Koivu - superstars all of them. This player seems to get much more love in this thread, but his circumstances don't strike me as any different than Saad's. I would use this as a good comparison, because this player's possession statistics are dreadful despite the top level linemates (suggesting he is benefiting from the situation and maybe looks better than he actually is at that age), whereas Saad's production is legitametly backed up by what stats a person can look at to measure success for a player.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Give me 30 minutes to run home, I'll make my pick then.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Buffalo Sabres select Paul Martin, Defenceman - Pittsburgh Penguins

It is getting down to the point where there aren't any #1 defenceman left on the board.. Atleast not any #1 defenceman worth having on your team. Martin plays 25+ minutes a night for Pittsburgh and does a really good job of it. He's signed at a fair contract through the 2014-15 season. Unfortunately he's picked up a neck injury that has seen him miss some time this season but he has been fairly healthy going back to when he joined the penguins for the 2010-11 season. Martin's not going to put up huge offensive numbers - he averages right around 30 points a season - but he can play heavy minutes in all situations and that's what you want out of your top guy.

I passed up on some forwards that are probably more valuable overall players, but I needed to complete my top d-pairing now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

i am not so sure posted:

Haha you are not doing much research are you?

I base my picks on the 2009-2012 seasons.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I don't mind Martin there. There are maybe some guys on the board who run the powerplay a bit better but if you're looking for more of an overall guy he's a great pick.

yeah of all defenceman left, he plays the 2nd most minutes a night.

Basically you need a guy that can play 25-27 minutes in a game to shelter the guys a bit lower in the depth chart. It was a choice between him, someone who is payed a ridiculous amount of money, and guys that are like 38 years old (and make more money).

You might question the wisdom of waiting until the 5th round to draft your #1 defenceman, but I'm happy with what I got for it. Martin is the best defenceman on one of the best teams in the league.

... okay 2nd best defenceman. I just remembered Letang.

**basically I think IANSS is just acting pissy because I've questioned some of his earlier picks and said I didn't trust him with my list of players hehehe

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

T.J. Oshie is a fine pick. I considered him for each of my previous 2 selections.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I also almost picked him wih the Anderson pick. He's my "room maker" on the top line now.

my general policy is that you can't go wrong with selecting a first line player from a good team.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Alex Goligoski is alright. He's a very valuable guy to have on the power play, and one of the better defenders around the league at the transition game - either by skating the puck into the attacking zone himself or making the first pass of a rush.

Yeah away from the puck he's not too good... I think he's a guy who would put up some really gaudy numbers on team with some major talent to work with, but he should also be protected from facing the tough defensive match-ups and PK time is probably not a good idea. Dallas just doesn't have those other options on their back end so Goligoski often ends up looking silly.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Buffalo Sabres select LW Chris Kunitz from the Pittsburgh Penguins

Kunitz is the leading goal scorer on the penguins and 2nd on the team in points. Yes he plays with Crosby (and before that Ryan Getzlaf on Anaheim), very few guys have ever had it so good in their NHL careers. I like Kunitz because he is on a very reasonable contract and is a proven contributor at even strength on the 1st or 2nd line and on the power play. Oh and he also does very well by the possession metrics, but I probably won't mention that from now on because you may have noticed I'm picking my team by statistical performance using possession metrics.

Kunitz is basically going to be an insurance policy for Brandon Saad on the Sabres, if the rookie is having some difficulty keeping up on the top line then Buffalo will have a perfect short term option to take his place. Kunitz is 33 years and his cap hit is 3,725,000 through the 2013-14 seaosn.

**Roster so far:

David Backes - Jonathan Toews - Brandon Saad
Forward - Forward - Chris Kunitz

Paul Martin - Slava Voynov

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Woah Kunitz wasn't taken yet? Nice pick

I sure hope not... that shared workbook does not want to work on my home computer so I keep track with an excel spreadsheet of my own. Can somebody confirm that he's not been picked yet? I have a substitute pick ready if he is that I'm just as happy with.

• Locked thread