Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:justpost:

This dude's like 30 and wears a feathered bowler hat every day. On this day, we learned, completely unsolicited, that he is still a virgin. WHY WOULD YOU POST THAT COMMENT, GUY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This happened to me a lot, too. I ordered a veggie burger at a restaurant and the waiter started crowing about my shoes. They were these awful plastic things from Payless but I guess if you didn't know anything you might think they were patent leather? Not that the cheap plastic stuff is any better for the environment, but I was at least trying to stay true to my beliefs.

I'm not vegetarian anymore, but I still prefer meatless most of the time. I get serious stink-eye whenever I order a veggie burger, like "I saw you eating meat last week, you hypocrite." Not everyone wants meat at every meal and veggie burgers are good, jeez.

:psyduck:

I don't usually order veggie burgers, but now I know what to do if I need an excuse to not tip my waiter. Holy poo poo, I can't even conceive of getting the stink-eye for ordering a veggie burger. It's like the same as asking for curly fries instead of steak fries, provided both items are on the menu, only apparently it makes you a Bad Person.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"Little do the realize..."

Does this mean that all the clerks will be replaced by self checkout robots, where like 6 of them can be babysat by one clerk? Because this dude has clearly never been stuck behind somebody with a full cart-load at the self checkout.

If it means he's just going to boycott those rich, fat-cat grocery cashiers, then I guess good for him? Now this person can be the rear end in a top hat with a full cartload of groceries at the self checkout.

The idea that quality of life should somehow directly correlate to what your job is continues to loving boggle me as a goddamn cornerstone of our civilization, since ultimately it's meaningless and arbitrary. According to Salary.com, I make about the same amount of money as a Police Patrol Officer in my city, which is largely considered to be a pretty dangerous city with a high crime rate. In comparison, I mostly sit on my rear end and write extremely pedestrian computer code. Both of us have at least a Bachelor's Degree. The officer risks getting shot as part of his basic job. I risk listening to my boss complain about Obamacare in the hallway. Arguably the officer probably has a better benefits package than I do, but at the end of the day his incredibly risky, psychologically devastating job probably pays about the same as my very safe, basically cushy job.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

All on Black posted:

I'm sorry, is this a real thing or are you using an insane hypothetical to make a point?

No, this is real. My college had a high deaf population, so I was privy to the Deaf News. http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=1947073

That story isn't about my school, but it definitely made the rounds at my school. Basically, the students protesting were pissed because the appointed university president hadn't been DEAF 4 LYFE, and didn't even learn to Sign until she was an adult.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/kp6b85t
Also, some of them see the cochlear hearing implant as an assault on deaf culture, and not like, a loving medical miracle.

Edit: Beaten, but yeah. Deaf culture :psyduck:. I guess it's not that different from Tumblr Social Justice Warriors hoping their child is born trans or autistic or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Firing people for their political beliefs is perfectly legal almost everywhere in the US.

Is it? Because that's super hosed up and pretty much completely undermines the concept of a free democracy. Does this also work if you're a government employee? In what sectors can you be fired based on which public official you voted for, and have it not count as a fatal blow to the basic foundation of our nation's political system?

Like, I recognize that the first amendment doesn't protect you from non-government entities. I just think it's pretty hosed up that, performance at work aside, no matter now model of an employee or what you contributed to a company, some bitter rear end in a top hat can just fire you because he thinks (and has no way of proving, though he might guess form your bumper sticker) that you voted for whoever. Now that you're unemployed, you probably can't even use that place as a reference, because they'll be all "yes this INSIDIOUS NATIONAL TRAITOR was terminated formally from this company. We would not re-hire him, but we would pay some dudes to drag him behind a truck."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kimmalah posted:

Most states in the U.S. have what's known as "at-will employment" which basically allows companies to fire you whenever they want for whatever they want as long as it's not for a few legally protected reasons. Even if political beliefs are legally protected, they can just fire you with some other bullshit excuse (or maybe none at all, I'm not sure they even have to give cause).

I know this. It's just... :smithicide:

Human beings are super infuriating. I'm surprised you don't hear more stories about people losing jobs because they get outed as a <sports team> fan, because some of those rivalries are hilarious.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Coca Koala posted:

In all fairness, Rochester is basically a shithole of a town and if you're condemned (for whatever reason) to stay here for for more than like four years, it can wear on you pretty heavily. But god drat, I've never seen somebody so obviously and with such self-awareness beg for pity like that. "If everybody on this friends list gave me one weekend every two years I'd never have a saturday with nothing to do". Also the concept of dividing friends into "regular friends" and "weekend friends" is totally weird to me; I have friends here, and some of them I hang out with on tuesdays because we get together at a bar each week, and some of them I hang out with on the weekend because they don't like to go out to the bar. Sometimes new people come to the bar; sometimes I see my bar buddies on the weekend. I've never thought "oh man, I would hang out with this person, but it's only thursday. I can only hang out with them on a weekend".

lovely Rochester :hf:
My former roommate was super depressed, but he was also really outgoing and extroverted, so he manifested it by going out to be sad in exciting locations, or having a bunch of people over to be sad near. It was strange. In contrast, Rogue 7's guy just sounds like how I get when I am very bored. "Uuuuuuh I'm so boooored. I should go do something. But I don't want to now because I'm wishy-washy. But I'm so booooored." - I am likely an infuriating person to be around like 60% of the time.

YellerBill posted:

Homestuck fans exist who like Homestuck but don't want to speak up about it-- If I tell anyone I like Homestuck, I get lumped in with all the crazy people who like Homestuck, so I don't go around telling people "I like Homestuck!"

This was me for a couple years. Then I stopped having quite so much free time and stopped keeping track. Seriously every update takes like an hour or more to fully parse and translate into a thing that makes sense, and is mostly just white noise of characters being ironic assholes to each other.

I still think Hussie's only true gift to us was Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. I also still like the fan music albums :shobon:

Segmentation Fault posted:

RACIST AUNT IN "gently caress POORS" 2: 2RACIST2POOR

:allears:
I like how she tries to argue with you about the definition of "immoral", and in her definition, "corrupt" is right there, and she is just mustering all of her best and most pure cognitive dissonance to ignore it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pilsner posted:

The subject matter is irrelevant. Posting like that with a huge all-caps subject line makes you look like a complete fool. Sorry if you can't see it yourself.

McDonalds CEO spotted.

Baika posted:

:allears: They said water is good for you, but the truth is it can kill you! TRUTH.

She posted stuff an infographic about the benefits of bringing in your child to a chiropractor a couple of days ago.

Out of all the bullshit in that screencap, the one that jumped out at me was the Vitamin D part :allears:
Vitamin D, as far as I am aware, has basically no bearing on cancer. It promotes healthy bones by aiding in the body's processing of calcium.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

West Ham Sandwich posted:

My not-so-far-reaching theory on this is that most of the fundamentalist crowd marry too young for the wrong reasons. I was at one point close friends with a big group of conservative Christians and they are nearly all almost married already, before the age of 23. So that they can finally have sex. :saddowns:

I have a friend couple who got married super early because they had to hide their sinful relationship from the girlfriend's family and wanted to stop dealing with it. They seem pretty happy most of the time, but it seems like a kind of dumb reason to get married. There are definitely some issues in the relationship stemming from realizations of, "oh wow, looks like we didn't know each other as well as we thought we did :v:", though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

He wrote the opposite actually.

"But if they can't control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It's better to marry than to burn with lust."

Plus, also, the same is true in bible times as it is today. If you're dirt poor, then nobody important gives a poo poo who you marry. Hell, in bible times you could just travel to the next town and marry a second person, and probably nobody would be any the wiser.

"Sure, get married, random teenagers. Whatever keeps your girlfriend's dad from cutting her nose off."
-Paul of Tarsus

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

quote:

Its annoying. You don't have to be a Christian to have the christmas spirit.

:psyduck:

Man, gently caress that guy. I mean, like, I celebrate Christmas because it's an excuse to spend too much on presents and eat a lamb roast. I could just as interchangeably be celebrating Festivus, Winter Solstice Lack of Solar Power Hour, or Annual Honorary Declaration of War On Christmas Day. I couldn't possibly care less about Jesus, who was most likely not historically born any time near December 25.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

cyberia posted:

It's about boundaries, imo. If I post a screenshot of something my racist uncle said on facebook I want goons to laugh at it and commiserate with me about having terrible relatives but I don't want the goonsquad rushing to Facebook to spam my uncle with messages about how lovely and racist he is.

At least it's not like Anonymous, where we'd call his house and just make licky noises into the phone.

Content:

I'm always tempted to respond to these with "What about Hitler?"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why does everyone keep comparing Duck Dynasty dude to Miley? Miley's never said anything hateful she just gives weird rear end performances.

They're cherry picking for media personalities whose message the don't agree with, since they do agree that having sex with a man -> having sex with a dog, but only if you are also a man. Ergo, it is also probably bad if a dog has sex with a dog, homosexual or otherwise.

Basically, they are saying, "Duck guy just tells it like it is! We wholesale endorse, and share, his hateful opinion! Miley, on the other hand, is an ungodly whore, and so she should also be fired!"

The difference in the situations, of course, is that Miley Cyrus's employer most likely expects or encourages that type of behavior because it puts young adult asses in seats, whereas A & E really would not like every rational gay person, and at least half of straight people, to wholesale boycott their every product.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SkinCrawling posted:

Walk on highways. Stare at the sky.

I would probably be cool with those parts, but only if I'm using my paid vacation days for it :colbert:

I think it would be a totally legit use of 2 weeks to see how far I can hike in a week along back roads or something, and then hike back for the second week. I bet I could make it to Pennsylvania.

Semprini posted:

This is probably idiotic in its own way, but it's Winterval, so who cares.

haha I wanna do one of these with a sinister fake Obama quote, or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aerdan posted:

Another entry in the 'sister is a douche' chronicles. If I can't get an accurate idea of what this guy did (Wikipedia wasn't all that much more informative than this blurb was), I doubt an E-3 will either. More than that, I think it's inappropriate for an enlisted soldier to express an opinion on a matter like this.

Is this about that dude who shot the unarmed people approaching his camp?

It's fun arguing about this stuff with people IRL, because it helps you identify the potential serial killers among your friends and family.

"Aside from the fact, that these are, like actual human beings who were unarmed, they're also not actually combatants from an enemy nation. Unless we're acknowledging Taliban or Al Qaeda sovereignty now :v:"

If their answer is something like, "So?", or, "loving who cares about some camel jockey?", or, "Why would any of those people ever approach a military base for any reason besides KILLING OUR SOLDIERS :byodame:" then congratulations! The person you are talking to is capable of very easily categorizing a person as an object, and considering the fact of their life or death unimportant!

EDIT: a word

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Dec 26, 2013

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shbobdb posted:

My buddy was a TA for Japanese and said there were always a few in the introductory class. Evidently, the Japanese spoken in anime is completely different from normal conversational Japanese. So they'd end up either sounding like they came out of a Samurai drama or talking like a manic child.

Most of them would drop out pretty quickly but those who stayed on were loving insufferable. I should ask him for some stories.

This is magical :allears:

Most of the Japanese I know is stupid phrases I picked up from anime, but I'm also aware enough to know that no real person talks like that :v:
I went to enough conventions as a teenager to know that there are plenty of people who aren't that aware, though, and it's pretty fabulous. You haven't really touched poop until you've had a conversation in person, in English, with a person who peppers their sentences with words like "tsundere" and "baka".

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bored posted:

They look like pronouns that one would use to describe the reptilians that are controlling our media.

I agree with Tiggum.

These specific reptilians only control tumblr.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Saw this one shared today:

"People who judge you by your past don't belong in your present."

:psyduck: How the gently caress else are you supposed to judge someone? I'm not a pre-cog; I can't judge them by what they do in the future.

What they're saying is, they were probably a real shithead in the past, or like, probably some kind of sex offender, which is what I would assume from somebody making the above statement, and they don't think there should be consequences for that, vis-a-vis being shunned from society and forced to live under a bridge because nobody wants to risk being exposed to his awful behavior.
The unintentional punchline is that the statement reinforces that behavior; it's saying, "gently caress all you haters! I'm gonna go hang out with people who don't judge me! We'll form our own society, in the abandoned subway station! Just me and all the other rapists and serial flashers, and repeat-offense drunk drivers who can't look people in the eye any more because they killed like 4 different peoples' kids in 4 different car accidents, despite not even having a driver's license for the latter 3!"

It's sort of like how all those people on Facebook last week thought Duck Dynasty guy shouldn't face any social repercussions whatsoever for his disgusting opinions; it's because they share those opinions, and are trying to convince their friends and family to not ostracize Duck Commander as their proxy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spalec posted:

Please leave the camera outside with your mother :allears:

What is the Sovereign citizen stuff about? Claiming not to have a name or being an American citizen, is he just being super pedantic about definitions of names or is just trying to confuse people with legal-ish sounding bullshit?

It's even better. He has confused himself with legal-ish sounding bullshit, and thinks that he can, with a few magic words, place himself outside the jurisdiction of state and federal authorities.

E: beaten. But yeah. Sovereign Citizens are pretty great, in the same capacity as conspiracy people :allears:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

kannonfodder posted:

as we jogged after animals until they died of exhaustion.

This is probably my favorite "thing that we evolved to do, but don't do any more". Now I really want to be That Guy on facebook, only instead of training to lose weight and run a marathon, it's training to endurance jog/spook a gazelle to death.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Chomp8645 posted:

His argument is inherently flawed because he's framing Wal-Mart going out of business as a bad thing.

It's also flawed because it fails to account for the fact that Wal-Mart customers outnumber employees so vastly that the pay raise could be accounted for by raising prices across the board by like 3 cents.

You would think that a demographic of people interested in the glorious prosperity of the free market would have a decent big-picture outlook, but they don't.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

trapped mouse posted:

There is no jerk-off motion big enough for this guy.

Especially that one about "spending time with people your own age." I've tried to think of how that statement makes sense at all, and I've drawn a total blank. The only thing I can think of is "literally every single person already knows everything there is to know", but it's pretty clear that wasn't his intention.

"Just because someone looks like an adult, we treat him/her as an adult. Oops."

Is he mad because somebody won't treat him like a child, or is he mad because he thinks you should have to pass a test to be considered "adult"?
I'm reasonably certain that test is called "staying alive long enough to reach drinking age", meaning that, like most things involving your body, it's easier in Canada.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Alpacalips Now posted:

This is what guys who do wheelies in grocery store parking lots actually think.

"yolocycle" :allears:

People like this are on the same roads as you!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Brocktoon posted:

I debated posting this, because I wasn't sure it was "thick enough", but after looking this morning and seeing just how much my sister-in-law wrote on a topic the initial post wasn't even about, I figured it would entertain.

I'm sure by now you've all heard about the story at Alinea in Chicago and the fact that they are considering banning children after an incident over the weekend with a crying infant. My Brother and Sister-in-Law (Al Toesacks and Sam Owen) used to live in Chicago, and ate at a lot of fancy places, so my wife (Zack Lee) just innocently asked if they had been there and what it was like, not looking in the least to start a conversation about kids in restaurants.

My OTHER Sister-in-Law (Beau Tie), however (on my wife's side) decides to immediately start taking offense and getting psycho about things no one is saying and situations that are not happening to her.

Beau Tie is bananas on FB. As you can see she posted almost twice as many comments about a subject no one wanted to talk about than all the other commenters combined. (I counted the other day, and between links and status updates, she made 22 wall posts between 8am and noon, not even counting comments.)

ahahaha If I ever had the good fortune of being able to eat at a place that nice, I would be loving furious if some rear end in a top hat strolled in with one or more children, toddlers, or infants. It is a nearly 100% chance that any kid does not want to be there, especially once they realize there will not be french fries. That kid is gonna act up, because that's what kids do if they don't want to be someplace. Hell, that's what adults do half the time, too.

PRIORITIES! :ohdear:
Is he talking about like a specific place? Because I'm pretty sure in Texas they'd rather shoot the mother in the face and deliver her fetus by emergency c-section while she's going cold.

Also, his own logic states that developing fetus = human being -> legal to kill a human being for any reason.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You know the article that outed the transgender woman was on an ESPN blog, and these are the comments to an article about that article, right? Gawker does normally suck, but getting angry at them about an article they had nothing to do with is dumb.

Now I can't watch ESPN. How will I go into the locker room at the Planet Fitness now :negative:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is not a "fraternities are stupid frat boys" post but I've always wondered, what is the point of fraternities? I mean as in what does it gain someone to be a part of one and what does it gain the school to have them? Do they have to pay dues or anything to the university? Is it something you could put on your resume or something? Just a place that people like to hang out and be a part of? Again I'm not saying fraternities are not needed or something, I just don't know what they are really for.

It's a networking thing. The idea is that your frat has alumni you can get in touch with near the end of your college run, who will help you get a pretty sweet job straight out of college on the basis that both of you were in the same frat. Also, they do a lot of community service and charity work, which is one of those things that looks good on your resume in the leadership/community category.

It's also an easy way to get yourself into a fairly tight clique and be surrounded by people who are semi-obligated to be your friend. A lot of them have academic standards that all members have to maintain, so it's kind of a free study group, too.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

"Majestic Dagger"

It could be worse.

Also, this thread taught me that I'm going to Subway for lunch this week sometime! Thanks, facebook conservatives!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Shannonmcn posted:

Are you guys 12 and on Live journal? No one loving cares what your wolf name is.

Sounds like somebody's mad they couldn't be "Regal Shadow" :smuggo:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I dunno, my favorite part is the commenter who thinks 1/3 of Americans are bronies.

I like the one who immediately declares that Obama has a monkey brain ->Bronies.txt

I get a lot of horse news through Tumblr because there's a giant crossover between bronies, MRAs, and rape apologists, and that kind of thing starts sick fires on Tumblr.
Should I dig up some bronies trying to insist that rape is natural and/or funny as part of their defense for stalking and doxxing a teenager who claimed responsibility for getting hasbro to c&d beloved horse rape blog, "Ask Princess Molestia"?

Because that was a thing :gonk:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Oh man, Kimberly :ironicat:

On a related note, it was pretty cute when Thomas had to be led out by his hand because his helmet fogged up or something. I wonder if he was tearing up in there.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SaltLick posted:

That is most certainly a gag gift you would find at a Spencers in the mall. I'd get it for a dumb white elephant gift.

The only good that will come from all this Coke nonsense is that some people might actually discover that Pepsi is the superior cola.

:colbert:

I'll give you Diet Pepsi, but if you want more I'll filibuster.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fatkraken posted:

Racists outing themselves doesn't sell fizzy drinks. Racists outing themselves and taking a stand against Coke as a company makes Coke look better because they are being compared to racists, and people who are not racist but still see the world in binary terms see it as "you're with coke or you're with racists", and buy more Coke. I don't think there are Coke stooges making racist comments, but I do think Coke was well aware that there would be a vocal backlash from racists on social media, and knew it would make the not racist/less racist majority more inclined to support Coke than if they'd just had a nice multi ethnic advert without the backlash

Don't buy Coke though, they're shits.

Can I buy delicious Mexican Coke, made with real sugar? :saddowns:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flaggy posted:

He seems to have forgotten that we have paid, as taxpayers for every president to take vacations. The one he is complaining about is when Obama sent Michelle to Hawaii as a gift and paid for it out of his own pocket. I wonder if its time to touch the poop.

I wouldn't touch the poop. I do think it's amusing when people act like they are offended that Obama gets paid to do his job. Guess what basically every person who makes enough money to be able to comfortably save up and not live paycheck to paycheck does? They go on loving vacations every once in a while, especially when a certain amount of paid time off for vacation is one of the most ubiquitous employee benefits in the developed world.

Edit: I can't wait for somebody suggest that political office should be a volunteer position that doesn't pay. It would still be a bunch of rich old people, because they can afford to not get paid, only there would be even more corruption in the system because they would still want to get paid.

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Feb 4, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

NotAnArtist posted:

Seems like the type of guy willing to buy a cool glass of date grape koolaid for a young lady.

"Ha, amusing! What fine and edgy humor you employ at your establishment! A 'Date Grape' Daiquiri for milady, barkeep." *tips fedora, winks at milady*

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CoolZidane posted:

And to make sure it stays that way, let's make it illegal to hire someone for a minimum wage job if they have a high school diploma. Problem solved. :shepface:

:negative:
What are even your options any more with a high school diploma and nothing else? The only ones I can think of off hand that would provide a living wage are military and sometimes construction.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Master Twig posted:

Some bad experiences with women can turn you into an MRA, who thinks women only like assholes and poor nice guys get left behind. I used to think that way myself. Then I graduated high school and realized how stupid it was. I can get teenagers feeling this way. It's adults posting stuff like this that's truly mind-boggling.

Most of the MRA stuff I see seems like it points toward a potent cocktail of staggeringly low self-esteem and a total lack of personal responsibility. "My life is poo poo and nobody loves me, and it's all the fault of those DUMB WHORES who can't figure out how nice I am."

It's a little sad, but I could see it happening. Distinguishing reality and fantasy is apparently pretty difficult for the average person, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people expect their real life to work like a sitcom, complete with attractive ladies who want to lavish attention on a dude who exists to be the narrative's punchline. It's sort of like when white people complain about affirmative action- with the media constantly telling them how easy life should be for them, they recoil with horror when it turns out that succeeding in life still requires, you know, effort.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ambitious Spider posted:

seen this going around:

You found it. It's the most flawed argument about taxation and the rule of law. It's melting my face off like the Ark of the Covenant.

Why do these people not understand the basic idea of living in a society that runs on money? You pay taxes with your money because that is the most convenient and painless way to feed back into the system that allows you to thrive. Do these people want to go back to the days of forced labor and conscripted military service, or something?

"Ah, you live in our borders and get to enjoy the protection of our military and all these other systems that exist to discourage people from injuring or killing you because you annoyed them! You also have access to our economy, and all the benefits that participating in it provides, our education system, and as much of a socioeconomic safety net as we can manage to provide. Would you like to return the favor by chipping in a portion of your income to be fed back into the system, or would you like us to make you work at the forced labor camp for a year every 5 years? You can either go the farming camp, or military camp. The military camp is currently located in Iraq."

The "pay taxes if you make enough money to fall into a tax bracket" option is pretty loving nice, compared to some other systems of civic responsibility.

Of course, I can tell from the subtleties* that the person who posted that doesn't think they owe anything to society whatsoever, and should get to reap important benefits like "not being an outlaw" and "being able to own land without having to protect it, using military might, from your neighbors" without contributing anything to the system themselves.

*It wasn't subtle.

deadly_pudding has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Feb 11, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Snoop Radley posted:

What do these "women have vaginas and men have penises and that's it!" types think of intersex people with ambiguous genitals? Do they even realize that's a thing?

Probably they don't realize it's a thing because doctors in this country assign you at birth, and what little sex education we get growing up amounts to "there are males and females, and for god sake don't touch each other"

There is a very strong cultural element of "there are men and women, and anything else is a brain disease" in the US. And, like, a lot of other places. You combine this with intense homophobia, anti-intellectualism, and a weird patriarchal machismo thing, and it's pretty hosed up for people who don't fall into one bin or the other.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DemeaninDemon posted:

A PhD means you're really really good at one particular thing. As a side effect, it also means you really really suck at everything else.

Like the Fighter in D&D :haw:

I have a friend who has a PhD in mathematics. He never talks about math, and seems like the kind of person who probably wouldn't enjoy math very much if all you do is hang out with him and barbecue like I mostly do. But, he's the one working for a university in Norway most of the year, and I'm the one cranking out amateurish php code for something like the bottom 10th percentile of my field's income range, so I guess he's legit :shrug:

Education is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Slime posted:

How much do you like talking about PHP to people who don't know anything about PHP? It's the same for him with mathematics.

:goonsay: LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DYNAMICALLY-GENERATED JAVASCRIPT

Yeah, that's true. My girlfriend probably thinks I'm pretty insufferable when I complain about typos in my http queries :smith:

• Locked thread