Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

InEscape posted:

Guys I finally have an idiot!

He loves anime and hates women I guess.

Hilariously enough, this picture (Orestes Pursued by the Furies) shows Orestes being rightfully tormented by the furies for murdering his mother. He had done so because his mother had killed his father/her husband (Agamemnon) for sacrificing their daughter to the gods for better sailing weather. Oh man, this works on so many levels but very much not how your friend imagines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

Why does "being forced to die in war" make men superior? That doesn't even make any sense. And the person who typed this poo poo certainly never leaves the safety of his own basement, so why does he even have anything to say on the matter? He was never forced to go to war either.

Not to mention that soldiers aren't the only people that die in wars. Any number of civilian casualties would have women among them, and I'm sure they didn't exactly volunteer for it either. Besides, didn't the US decide a few months ago that they are gonna allow female soldiers in front-line units after all?

Yet if you bring any of that up, the guy is probably just gonna cry "b-but selective service!!" as if there's a chance that will ever be relevant to him.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Assuming that this is a true statistic (though I honestly don't buy it for a moment without a legit source), wouldn't the second statistic point more towards how over-prevalent/trigger-happy American gun owners are?

It's either completely made up or the definition of "using" is so large that it's completely meaningless. In they year 2011 there have only been 201 cases of justifiable homicide (i.e. in self-defense) that involved firearms in the US, excluding killings by the police. So according to those numbers, only 0,0002% of the times a gun is used in self-defense it leads to death. Seems like americans are indeed pretty lovely shots :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Dawkins, I have no idea how this one came about but it well never not be funny to me:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

I assume it's when police shoot someone who isn't a criminal. Except the "error rate" for civilians is huge isn't it, "husband rolls in late, wife shoots him assuming he's a burglar" is pretty common, not to mention accidents and suicides.

I suspect they define it something like "person intentionally shoots at somebody they shouldn't have shot at", which conveniently ignores the huge number of accidents that happen when somebody just handles a firearm improperly or otherwise has it injure somebody without actually trying to.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Oct 4, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

What was a good rebuttal for people all for drug testing people on welfare? I am sick to death of this poo poo appearing on my feed.

Most basically, it simply costs more than it saves. In Utah they've had exactly 12 people who didn't pass. I'm not entirely certain just how much money was saved by that, but even taking the governor's numbers (who is a proponent of that system) and assuming a best case it would have been like ~15.000$ at the most. Meanwhile, the costs of reimbursing everyone for actually taking those tests came up to around 30.000$. Same deal in Arizona: Exactly one person failed, saving the state a whopping 500 bucks. Oklahoma? 35.000$ saved at 82.000$ cost. Florida also lost 45.000$ in their attempts. Even if the costs were nonexistent the savings would be still just a drop in the bucket, as the total expenditure for welfare tends to be in the tens or hundreds of millions in most states. Turns out people who barely even have enough money to eat generally don't have anything to spare for drugs. The rate for drug use among welfare recipents is at around one third of the national average.

Secondly, if the people who you're arguing with have any shred of empathy, remind them that the point of welfare is to avoid people starving or becoming homeless. If some happen to do drugs while still being fed and sheltered, then it's still mission accomplished as far as the government is concerned.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Oct 15, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

suztan posted:

Why is it that MRAs tend to clutch onto "holding the door open for The Females" as the #1 indication of their worth as a fuckable human being? Do they just rudely shut doors in the faces of men to indicate to prospective mates that they're not weird queers? It just seems like common courtesy to hold the door open for people if there's a crowd behind you but it's not like I get mad or even irritated when someone blazes through and I have to grab the door myself. Of course I'm not a dude so I don't understand the plight of the classy modern malegentleman.

That reminded me of this hilarious (and apparently entirely serious) MRA comic I've seen floating around here recently:

It seems like some of them believe that those things are somehow of such import that they make up for any other inequality. So if a man goes to the great length of holding a door for a woman he is personally repaying society's debts towards her, and as such naturally deserves to be rewarded with sex. :shepface:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

"put together"? That makes it sound like they're just talking about the grand total spend, not the per-capita. Those other countries are each much smaller than the US, even added together their population probably doesn't match that of the States, and also many of them have a heavily subsidised university system which probably accounts for a large chunk of the total budget. What is the per-child spend k-12, adjusted for costs of living (you'll get a better teacher for $20,000 a year in a country where that's enough to put you in the top 10% of earners than one where it puts you in the bottom 10%)

Not to go all :goonsay:, but I wonder how much of the US' educational budget goes towards their school's sports teams compared to other countries. It's probably a fairly large chunk, which would further skew that comparision.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Crewmine posted:

This loving guy won't stop posting poo poo like this. He always ends up writing thousands of words arguing in the comments.

You see, cutting off your little finger and cutting off your head is the same thing because they're both functional parts of your body :downs:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Flaskraven posted:

Dawkins retweeted something a little out there today.

Don't know German so I can't translate, but I think it speaks for itself.

For a bit of context, the number of religiously motivated violent attacks in Germany in 2012 (of any kind, not just by muslims) seems to be less than 20. By comparision, the number of violent attacks motivated by racism in the same year lies at around 226. But yeah, it's clearly the all muslims' fault. :jerkbag:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

thunderspanks posted:

I hate this guy so much that I actually enjoy having more reasons to hate him.

I do like how they limit it to "combat" deaths. I guess civilian women dying in wars don't count.

Forgall posted:

Do you have a link to back this up? I'd like to rub someone's face into it if it's true.

Here's a nice article about just that: http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2012/04/child_supportcu.html, mostly citing this study, which is a bit dense. These are the relevant numbers again:

quote:

Study 1: MASS
2100 cases where fathers sought custody (100%)
5 year duration

29% of fathers got primary custody
65% of fathers got joint custody
7% of mothers got primary custody

Study 2: MASS
700 cases. In 57, (8.14%) father sought custody
6 years

67% of fathers got primary custody
23% of mothers got primary custody

Study 3: MASS
500 cases. In 8% of these cases, father sought custody
6 years

41% of fathers got sole custody
38% of fathers got joint custody
15% of mothers got sole custody

Study 4: Los Angeles
63% of fathers who sought sole custody were successful

Study 5: US appellate custody cases
51% of fathers who sought custody were successful (not clear from wording whether this includes just sole or sole/joint custody)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

seen this going around:

...do they not realise that most of this is literally already happening? You go to work at a place and work there, creating a certain amount of value through your labour. Your employer then takes a large chunk of that value as their profits and pays you only a fraction of it as wage. The second paragraph applies to "right-to-work" situations and salaries for CEOs, and the last paragraph is pretty much taken care of by all the "but our poor job-creators :qq:" that republicans and libertarians like to pull.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alpacalips Now posted:

I hate hearing this non-argument over and over again. Prices are driven by supply and demand, a fact that anyone who claims to love capitalism should know. Among my friends, the people who post this stuff barely make more than minimum wage, but are happy to poo poo on people who still do. And then they moan when said people are forced to take government assistance from THEIR TAX DOLLARS because they don't earn enough to make ends meet.

Not to mention that wages only make up about 20% of the average running costs of a McDonald's, and not all of those are at minimum wage level either. So even if any increase in the minimum wage somehow was directly passed on to the customer, that would still only be proportional to those 20%. Even a whopping 100% increase in wages (from ~7,50$ to 15$) wouldn't lead to a 1200% price increase like that macro implies, not to mention that the vastly increased purchasing power all around would likely lead to a significant increase in revenue.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

This is just so blatantly wrong I'm astonished that he would attach his Twitter handle to it.

From his point of view it makes perfect sense:

Undeniable Fact: Obama is a Kenyan muslim infiltrator and not eligible for presidency[1]
Objection: The routine intensive background checks for presidential canidates (even just congressmen, really) would have uncovered that.
Solution: There are actually not background checks for presidents.

Internal consistency preserved!

1: Fact

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ambitious Spider posted:

A quick google search shows that wal-mart sells (or did as of november 13) the iphone 5 for 30 bucks with a contract.

Not to mention that often as not it's probably an older model and those people just can't tell the difference, assuming that naturally it must the be the most expensive option. But yeah, having a smart-phone is probably the cheaptest way to have regular access to phone, email and internet, all of which are borderline essential to finding jobs nowadays.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

serbp posted:

Holy poo poo this loving guy

This never ceases to boggle my mind. These shirtless Putin shots are ridiculously obvious propoganda just barely a step above "Dear Leader is the best golfer in the world but has since stopped playing to give everybody else a chance". Yet people eat that poo poo up like crazy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

LorrdErnie posted:

Who's the one on the right?

Probably Jane Fonda, who was very outspoken against the Vietnam War. Conservatives really, really know how to hold a grudge.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeether posted:

Richard Dawkins decided to be a dick on Twitter again, this time towards Muslim women: https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/442363441740009472

Always relevant:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Byzantine posted:

Isn't the MLP world an absolute monarchy.

All the fawning about Putin has shown that american conservatives would be absolutely fine with an authoritarian dictator as long as he shares their views on guns, shirtlessness, and gay people.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nibbles141 posted:

The Enliven Project put false rape reports at 2%, with a report rate of 10%. It happens, but it's absolutely dwarfed by the number of unreported cases when your favourite MRA wants to make the comparison.

Or to put it into a nice graphical format:

Other findings suggest that false accusations of rape are about as common as false accusations of any other crime. The motivations are mostly the same, too: The desire to gently caress over the target of the false accusation out of personal animosity or some other reason. The whole "crying rape because of regret" thing almost never happens.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That DICK! posted:

The conservative boner for Putin is so loving weird, given how he's pretty much exactly the type of dictator they characterize Obama to be.

A singificant subsection of conservatives would be completely fine with an authoritarian dictator, as long as he shared their views on guns, gay people and abortions.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Met posted:

I don't even get the relevance of the first thing. Your language is #1. Why are you mad?

The offense is that other languages have the audacity to even be available! Though I'm fairly certain that one is word-for-word just an originally US-centric thing where somebody subsituted "America" with "Britain". And similarly to the US, the UK devotes less than 1% of its budget towards foreign aid, which also has been steadily reduced in recent years.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Obligatory Handle posted:

My favorites are the inability to do basic math when working with sales tax,

Though seriously, is there an actual reason not to include the tax by default? It just seems so completely superfluous, or is there actually a reason why you'd need to know the nontaxed price more often than the total one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zeether posted:

Making jokes about sports relating to police beating up a man is probably not a good idea if you ask me.

To make things even worse/better, it's also stolen from this Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-recent-trends-that-make-it-hard-to-trust-police-part-2_p2/. Note that it was posted just today. Somebody was so impressed with that joke that they just had to turn around and immediately reposted it as their own to impress their friends with their razor-sharp wit.

• Locked thread