Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Can we talk about what kinds of percussion we use? I'm looking at getting a cajon and some accessories to broaden my available sounds. I see lots of cool things like drum tortillas and Big Fat Snare Drum, as well as lots of metallic "trashy" additions and stacks.

If we're also allowed to talk about things beyond conventional drums, I've finally got my Sunhous Sensory kit built up. I've been following a lot of the stuff Mason Self is doing and am hoping to get a feel for the software soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

This will forever be my first thought whenever anyone mentions a cajon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWa6gVunVLE

Ok this owns

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Got myself a Roland SPD SX last week for a deal. It's definitely different from anything I've played, but I did find myself playing basic beats with it with childish joy in that rare way. Looking forward to exploring what all I can do with it.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Close to pulling the trigger on a dyna sync

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I use Shure SE215 in-ears for backing tracks and click, as well as general isolation. I've been really happy with them for that and general music listening, especially for the price. You can check out the chi-fi space as well, you can get $50 in-ears with internals that are much more expensive.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Real feel is great, the double sided ones can help a lot but even just a good gum side is a fine.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Major differences you see are hardware quality, longevity in parts that turn, any parts that have teeth or grip, etc. The other component is weight - double brace stands are road worthy and will take sometimes decades of abuse, but when you're hauling it around everyday the weight becomes a problem. Not a big deal for people with techs or roadies. A good balance in hardware will suit your immediate and potential future needs, and hit a balance of you for weight and stability. Single brace stands are fully capable of doing anything though. Jazz guys were doing things I can't dream of on hardware manufactured less robustly than most things out there today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

achilles surgery…double kick

Catching up on this thread. I’ve played with both right and left handed players that would switch their foot setup (hi hat and bass drum) to the other side to increase their independence, timing, and muscle. And also for fun. You can do that, and I’d look for exercises specific to the style you’re after with it, grid it out, and run it up. Intention ahead of expectation.

I’m also a drummer that had a pretty extreme arm break and had to come back from that. I would love to talk to anyone working up their craft after leaving and coming back (for any reason), working through things that used to work and doesn’t anymore, and/or how it feels through recovery. Mine was restlessness, intensity, curiosity, etc; also pain, doubt, isolation, confusion. I learned a whole new way to think about drumming after having a physical limitation placed on me. I tried to equate it to the idea of working with musical tools with intentional limitations. This makes you get creative and when you find others into that, you realize how truly limitless and creative we all are.

If you’re injured, what you’re suggesting is a good way to work cardio and balance by focusing on what you have but don’t overdo it and start messing with your injured foot until you’re healed and ready to work both together for what it sounds like you’re after (double bass). After doctor says. If you’re good to jog you can work both legs then. Up. Slowly.

I really want to hear from you how it’s going. We’re all students of the moment via movement, decorating time, be water, etc. That said, how are you feeling? Don’t push it. It’s the grid. Slow and gradual gets you there.

I’m nobody but hope it’s getting better for you either way.