Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I, Pash, have completed Speed Painting!

Also what is with weather in the Midwest recently. Like half my state got a ton of snow in May...

I might as well include Part's List:
1 Foundry Men at Arms
1 Gale Force 9 magnetic base
Base was does with medium and small grit and small grass patches from the Gale Force 9 "Summer Pasture" Basing Kit
Citadel Static Grass
Citadel Paints: Waaagh! Flesh, Kislev Flesh, Caledor Sky, Runefang Steel, Hashut Copper, Leadbelcher, Ceramite White, Mournfang Brown, Skrag Brown, Mephiston Red, Abaddon Black, Macagge Blue, 'ardcoat,
I also used a X-acto knife and the Citadel clippers
I used Floquil Silver Fox/Renard Argente Brushs

Since these were both done on the same model this means: Double the Fun!

Unless someone tells me otherwise I will post these against when I complete the rest of my Oath.

Also can I make a alternate universe oath before I have finished the rest of my oath? Just got this High Elf Loremaster who wants me to paint him...

Pash fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

moths posted:

Detektuv's Journal 1: There are a lot of soldiers here, and I'm going to be assembly lining them. Which means keeping them in line. This is a photo from last night, after priming. I managed to clip the sprue connected to the head. This should minimize touch-ups later.

It's cheap plastic, and the mold lines fray if you trim them. I think at this scale it's a thing you just deal with? Who can say.

For Parts List I washed the sprues with dishsoap, and primed with Rustoleum Camoflague spray (sand colored).

(I realize Parts List gets posted when complete, but I'm going to have a hard time keeping track if I wait.)

Are those green army men on a sprue?
What are you using them for?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I oath these additional models for May!

Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
Professor Viktor Pendrake
Trollblood Battlegroup consisting of Madrak Ironhide, 2 Troll Impalers, 1 Troll Axer

These are all Privateer Press models.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Manifest posted:

Are those green army men on a sprue?
Essentially yes, but at roughly 1/4th the size.

Manifest posted:

What are you using them for?
Under ideal circumstances, IABSM3. But failing that, TFL's Chain of Command... whenever it comes out.

Or a diminutive Bolt Action if no better option presents itself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pash posted:

I, Pash, have completed Speed Painting!

I might as well include Part's List:

Since these were both done on the same model this means: Double the Fun!

Congratulations, Pash: you have rocketed up the leaderboard and are now the overall points leader with 5 points! Amazing!

quote:

Also can I make a alternate universe oath before I have finished the rest of my oath? Just got this High Elf Loremaster who wants me to paint him...

Yes, you can make an alternate universe oath at any time.

Harkano posted:

I, Harkano, oath that I will paint Iron Lich Asphyxious, Deathripper, Nightwretch, Leviathan, Skarlock Thrall, Warwitch Siren
Awwww, it's a baby!

15 pt Army for our Journeyman league.

Is this Privateer Press?

Wili posted:

1/600th. It is 130 mm long.

Apparently that's 2.7mm scale. Tiny models of big ships are cool.

Korwen posted:

Oh, thank you for that, I've edited my post to reflect this, I think I failed an oath in PaintVagrant's Warmachine/Hordes oath threads what seems like 2 years ago, but never in the larger oath threads.

OK, I got you credited. Thanks.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Progress shot:
Dragonforge base almost done, just need the rims. Small arms done, head done. Large arms started, body not touched

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
WIP 1.

Oh God, What was I doing yesterday? I know I was tired, but I just seem to have slapped the paint on like a three year old.

thankfully, its nothing that can't be easily fixed, but its odd to come downstairs and look at your models and not remember doing that much.

Colour schemes looking good though.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Harkano posted:

I, Harkano, oath that I will paint Iron Lich Asphyxious, Deathripper, Nightwretch, Leviathan, Skarlock Thrall, Warwitch Siren
Awwww, it's a baby!

15 pt Army for our Journeyman league.

Is that a sweet sculpted base you've put me on? You get 5 bonus Toruk Points!*

*To claim Toruk Points you must immolate thyself in a volcano. Toruk Points in no way add to the value of thy oath.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
It's come to my attention that in order for my Nemo model to be qualify for extra points during our FLGS' league, I'll need to do some minor conversions. Do I need to repost my oath if I'm adding a shield to his arm?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'll assume that because you posted in the Battletech thread that Battletech mechs are allowed this year?

Since i'll likely paint one, or at most two, at a time and dont really care for the rewards/prizes and thus points, do i really have to follow all the officialness like "aww its a baby" and 'saving da whales"?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
So, I intended to take my time this month but last night I got bored, sat around, painted and smoked cones...

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

:siren: FLY YOUR BANNER:siren:

This is my banner of devastation. It isn't how it is in the codex because I am too lazy for that poo poo. I just got a grey knight terminator banner. Shaved down the hand a bit so it was the size of a power armour hand and sculpted some pretty basic flames on the front to cover the Grey Knight dude. I just by picking at the green stuff with my scalpel, pulling it up to get the effect.

:siren: Da Detektuv's Jurnul:siren:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

KingMob posted:

It's come to my attention that in order for my Nemo model to be qualify for extra points during our FLGS' league, I'll need to do some minor conversions. Do I need to repost my oath if I'm adding a shield to his arm?

I would say you don't need to repost (I'll leave the final word to Sole.Sushi though), but it would help us if you quote your original post when you post your completed picture.

Kommando posted:

I'll assume that because you posted in the Battletech thread that Battletech mechs are allowed this year?
Yes, all are welcome!

quote:

Since i'll likely paint one, or at most two, at a time and dont really care for the rewards/prizes and thus points, do i really have to follow all the officialness like "aww its a baby" and 'saving da whales"?
Well if you want to make sure you get your correct entries for first-time oathers or saving oaths, please help us make sure you have the proper credit and points so you get in the drawings for whatever you can. If you don't tell us we can't go double checking everyone to see if they've forgotten something.

If you really don't care then by all means post an oath and just get some painting done, but apart from encouraging people to paint part of the fun of this thread is that we've set up lots of prize drawings that everyone's eligible for, even if you don't think you'll be in the top ten at the end of the oathing season (next April).

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 5, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Maybe I'll make it a year this time instead of just one month.

I, YF19pilot, oath that I will paint five (5) M-24 Chaffee tanks
From Battlefront/Flames of War, 15mm Scale for the month of May

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 5, 2013

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gentlemen, ladies, :wotwot:

I Fix, being of fair weather and never you mind, oath to complete these 11 Space Hulk Genestealers by Games Workshop.

Do I get to claim babby's first oath? :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Detektuv's Journal 2: That... went a lot faster than I expected. The linked image is huge. But the base colors are done, and I just have a few comments about that:

First, the colors look lighter than you'd expect. That's because I used the highlight color and will darken them with washes and inks, letting the model do most of the painting. After that, I'll detail with webbing, canteen covers, backpacks, hair, and fix any additional details.

Second, that's a lot of white guys. I'm usually conscious of stuff like this and try to avoid it - but the actual US army was segregated until '48. Black and white soldiers couldn't 'officially' fight side-by-side until December '44, when Eisenhower allowed black soldiers to reinforce the lines in the Battle of the Bulge. (I learned about that this morning, this hobby owns.)

Parts List
Vallejo:
983 Flat Earth - leather and wood parts (scabbards, shoes,
874 USA Tan Earth - trousers
994 Dark Grey - metals, hoses
887 Brown Violet - painted metals (helmets, equipment)
927 Dark Flesh - skin
878 Old Gold - ammo belts

Citadel (Games Workshop):
Death World Forest - Jackets

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Oh poo poo, time to get back on the painting bandwagon...after all, my Reaper Bones Kickstarter shipment is due sometime soon. :negative:

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Congratulations, Pash: you have rocketed up the leaderboard and are now the overall points leader with 5 points! Amazing!

Is this Privateer Press?

Yes, sorry. Privateer Press Cryx 28mm.

Asphyxious posted:

Is that a sweet sculpted base you've put me on? You get 5 bonus Toruk Points!*

*To claim Toruk Points you must immolate thyself in a volcano. Toruk Points in no way add to the value of thy oath.

Yeah I figured since you like boats so much the whole army should be on pirate ships bases. Just bog standard boat bases from a UK resin base company.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Sorry I haven't piped into the thread yet--it's been a busy last week.

I, PierreTheMime, oath five Pink Horrors of Tzeentch and one Skull Cannon of Khorne!

These models are of a Games Workshop variety. I intend to complete a Backstory for this oath.

Also while I'm sure I don't get a point for it since I'm an oath vet I couldn't resist adding Awwww! a BABY!

My wife and I just had our first kid last Saturday. :kiddo:

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Congratulations! Something tells me you probably won't be finishing that oath though.

As always, great stuff in here. I look forward to seeing what everyone has to offer.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Zhent posted:

So I understand that models need to be only basecoated or primed to qualify as starting oaths, but what if I've primed different parts of the same model white and black? So I need to prime it all black and then re-prime the wings of my model white again?

e: I'm going to oath something else this month so I get off on the right foot, having never oathed before.

I, Zhent, oath that I will paint these 2 Games Workshop Space Marine Attack Bikes as my first official Oath. Look, a Baby!

I didn't include these in the original pictures, and I'm not sure if it actually makes any difference to the oath, but since they are a sponsor of the entire Thread and the bases are great, I wanted to include a picture of my Dragonforge bases that the attack bikes will be based on. These are going to be consistent throughout my entire Ravenwing army.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I, Counterspin, oath 4 Iron Fang pikemen from Privateer Press for May.

As you may notice, I have lovingly replaced their bendy pikes with brass rods. This is a dangerous undertaking.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I, Dr. Phildo, oath two Vanguard people for the month of May

They are from 28mm Sedition Wars, Studio McVey. I'm starting slow, but I've got a buttload of these little people :$

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congratulations Big Willy Style! You are the first goon to complete an oath this year! You've also claimed points for basing, a one-time point for doing a banner, and two points for doing this month's Detektuv's Jurnal. You now have 10 points, putting you in the lead!

However, you did miss one possible point for putting your username into your Oath Complete photo. If you do go back and edit one in, please post again so I know to credit you for that point.

Kommando posted:

It's worth mentioning that battletech mechs were also allowed last year. This year, though, a minimum oath would be just one 'Mech, so it's a bit easier.

You can just say "aww it's a baby" when you post your oath and you get a free point. Not that hard!

The 'saving the whales' thing is an optional thing you can do if you fail an oath but decide you want to finish the models you oathed later. It's up to you if you want to do that! :)

Zhent posted:

I didn't include these in the original pictures, and I'm not sure if it actually makes any difference to the oath, but since they are a sponsor of the entire Thread and the bases are great, I wanted to include a picture of my Dragonforge bases that the attack bikes will be based on. These are going to be consistent throughout my entire Ravenwing army.

It's fine, but next time do include your fancy bases in your oath post if you've got them handy. It helps us to see you didn't paint up some bases in a previous month and then use them for finished models, for example.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
I'm glad this is back! Since I'm not in the military my chances of surprise deployment has dropped sharply, so I can actually commit to things! This'll be a great opportunity to (re)paint my Templar army and finally get it 100% painted, and add a few more toys.

I, Bionic Psyker, swear before the Emperor of Mankind that I will faithfully paint the following models from Warhammer 40k:

1 Drop pod
10 Sword brethren (to be used as vets, characters or special weapons)
2 Techmarines

Bionic Psyker fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 6, 2013

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Pash posted:

I, Pash, oath that I will paint 5 Foundry Men at Arms (being used as Warhammer Battle Pilgrims) and 1 GW Bretonnian Knight of the Realm for the month of May!

First time Oather so...
Awwww! a BABY! First-time oathing? You get a point!

Pash here making an Alternative Universe Oath to paint 1 High Elf Loremaster from GW

Really want to play with this guy, so despite not being done with 5/6ths of the rest of my oath this guy will jump to the top of my list.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Pash posted:

Pash here making an Alternative Universe Oath to paint 1 High Elf Loremaster from GW

Alternate Universe Oath is a go.

Red Shoe posted:

I oath these additional models for May!
Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker
Professor Viktor Pendrake
Trollblood Battlegroup consisting of Madrak Ironhide, 2 Troll Impalers, 1 Troll Axer

These are all Privateer Press models.

This is also accepted.

Harkano posted:

I, Harkano, oath that I will paint Iron Lich Asphyxious, Deathripper, Nightwretch, Leviathan, Skarlock Thrall, Warwitch Siren (Privateer Press) Awwww, it's a baby!

Siili posted:

I, Siili, oath these five High Elf Spearmen from Warhammer Fantasy. 'Awwww, it's a baby!'

Haydrian posted:

I, Haydrian, oath these three Ork warbikers (GW) for May

Quest Jefferson posted:

I, Quest Jefferson, hereby oath these Retribution of Scyrah Myrmidons (Privateer Press) for May: Chimera, Banshee, and Discordia. "Aww, it's a baby!"

Galaspar posted:

I, Galaspar, oath to paint this Chaos Lord by Games Workshop in May

Phoon posted:

I, Phoon, oath 8 Dreadball Forge Fathers for the month of May.

Icon Of Sin posted:

I, Icon of Sin, oath that I will paint these 3 Deathwing Terminators. They're from Games Workshop Awww, it's a baby!

WerrWaaa posted:

I, WerrWaaa, oath to paint 5 Seishin and 1 Lost Love from Wyrd's Malifaux.Awww, it's a baby!

SpiderMonkey47 posted:

I, SpiderMonkey47, hereby oath two Skaven rat ogres from the GW Fantasy line.

SRM posted:

I, SRM, Oath three Goliath juves and one Goliath Ganger from GW's Necromunda line:

YF19pilot posted:

I, YF19pilot, oath that I will paint five (5) M-24 Chaffee tanks From Battlefront/Flames of War

Fix posted:

I Fix, being of fair weather and never you mind, oath to complete these 11 Space Hulk Genestealers by Games Workshop.

counterspin posted:

I, Counterspin, oath 4 Iron Fang pikemen from Privateer Press for May.

Dr. Phildo posted:

I, Dr. Phildo, oath two Vanguard people for the month of May

Bionic Psyker posted:

I, Bionic Psyker, swear before the Emperor of Mankind that I will faithfully paint the following models from Warhammer 40k: 1 Drop pod, 10 Sword brethren, 2 Techmarines

Accepted.

PierreTheMime posted:

I, PierreTheMime, oath five Pink Horrors of Tzeentch and one Skull Cannon of Khorne! These models are of a Games Workshop variety.

Accepted.

Ashcans posted:

I, Ashcans, oath one GW 40k Ork Deathkopta

Gimme a clean shot of the model (no timestamp) and you're good. Any progress you've made so far is fine.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I, Drumstick, Oath one Tervigon from 40k.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
I, Wazzu, do Oath to paint an entire Blood Bowl Orc team in the month of May.

This consists of:
1 Troll
4 Black Orcs
4 Blitzers
4 Lineorcs
2 Throwers
2 Goblins

All from Games Workshop. I guess I'm going for a theme (I'd drat well hope so) prize, all the other prizes and conditions confuse and frighten me.

Question: does the username in my picture have to be a physical one (like something I've written on) or can it just be edited onto the final image?

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint 9 Games Workshop Space Marine Scouts, 3 Ork Big Shootas, and one Reaper Dragon Familiar for the month of May.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So do we post the Detectuv journal WIPs as we're doing it, or all at once in our Oath Complete posts?

In case it's the former, a WIP!:

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
I, Commissar Kip, being of sound mind, OATH five (5) M4A1 Sherman tanks by Battlefront Miniatures (15mm) and one (1) Shoanti Barbarian (28mm) from Reaper Miniatures' Pathfinder line for the month of May.

First time oather. So:

Awwww, it's a baby!

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

I, LazyAngel, being of sound mind, OATH 3 Infinity Haqqislam Ghulam by Corvus Belli (all 28mm) for the month of May

Will hopefully be trying for the Detectuv's Journal, Parts List and (theoretically) Theme bonuses this month.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Do Chaos Icons count for the banner bonus?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I, Thundercloud, oath 3 Klingon E5 Battle Corvettes from Mongoose Publishings Starline 2500 line and a Wight King from Games Workshops Vampire Counts range for Fantasy Battle.

Here's to another year of glorious failure!

Screw it, this is like internet dating, go big or go home. I additionally Oath 1 Mongoose Publishing Federation class Dreadnought from the Starline 2500 range. Time to go airbrush crazy.

Approve me Sole sushi, you're my only hope!

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 6, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Fix posted:

So do we post the Detectuv journal WIPs as we're doing it, or all at once in our Oath Complete posts?

Just to make it easier for us to count, ideally the 3 WIP shots should be in the Oath Complete posts.

Lungboy posted:

Do Chaos Icons count for the banner bonus?

Yep!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren:ATTENTION:siren:
NEW SPONSORS ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Springer-Pinsel Kolinsky Sable Brushes
New thread sponsor!
A German brush manufacturer that's been around for over 100 years, Springer-Pinsel have donated a pack of their top-quality Kolinsky Sable brushes every month for a random participant!

Games 'n' Gears
New thread sponsor!
We now have WEEKLY prizes! Games 'n' Gears have promised us one of their unique double-ended brushes EVERY WEEK! We'll have a few more details to come after we figure out how we can give these out, but the lucky winners will be sent a brush direct from Games 'n' Gears every. single. week!

Games 'n' Gears are encouraging all participants to post pictures of the miniatures they complete on Sundays this June - more details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/350021115098113/

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I, Serotonin, oath that I will paint this unit of 4 bases of Cossack Moloitsy riflemen (12 figures) from the 15mm historical wargame "By Fire and Sword" (or Ogniem i Mieczem in its original Polish) for the month of May

'Awwww, it's a baby!

Im playing conservative as its my first oath ever and this is a busy month for me and I am awaiting delivery of the MDF bases to put them on (they come with bases in the pack but they are metal and I dont like them- so so fussy). Might well end up adding the 4 bases spearmen to them at some point though.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 6, 2013

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serotonin posted:

(they come with bases in the pack but they are metal and I dont like them- so so fussy)
Good choice, OiM bases are notorious for getting paint worn off the edges (even on display minis :doh:). The only thing they're good for is magnetic boxes. I'd recommend cutting plasticard to size.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Pierzak posted:

Good choice, OiM bases are notorious for getting paint worn off the edges (even on display minis :doh:).

That was exactly why I went with my tried and tested laser cut MDF option. I based a few command units for my 6mm Napoleonics on metal washers and it was a right pain in the arse to stop the paint flaking off the edges, even after several layers of varnish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Quick WIP shot. Got a fair bit of detail to do on these guys but they are so much fun to paint!

• Locked thread