Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Stop worrying so much, there's no need to nerd out over an iOS device.

Indeed, Apple worked very hard to make sure you wouldn't have to worry about fully quitting apps. The only reason you can do it is in case an app freezes up and you need to quit it so it reboots.

Here is a good blog post: http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

Playdek doesn't want to add chat because they think it'll foster negative community interaction or whatever. Have you tried this?

Then they should make their games behave less like iOS apps from 2008 when you press the home button.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Geburan posted:

You do know what thread you are posting in correct? I own 2 copies of Titan (one original and one 2nd edition) and I still purchased Titan for my iPad. While I much prefer playing with physical pieces, having a portable gaming library without wheeling around a cart full of boxes is amazing. The ability to play a few games while standing in line or on a plane is hard to beat.

I think he was pointing out that the price difference between the iOS one and the physical one is much, much smaller than most games, so they might prefer that, depending on why they were asking for a digital version in the first place.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Carcassonne also does. You can actually mix local and pass-and-play seamlessly, if you have say, three players and two devices.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Joined that Carc tourney. I also just remembered the Lost Cities tourney exists, and started a game with SuicidalManiac.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The next Carcassonne expansion is the Princess and the Dragon (eh), but the game is on sale ($7) for the first time in years.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
There is actually a Fluxx app, if you want to know true pain.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yes. It's the most incomprehensible thing I've ever seen.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

Cory Birdsong is the best Carcassonne player I've ever personally encountered, including cardboard tournaments. If he doesn't win the current goon challonge then I am forced to conclude that something improper occurred.

Bad news! I'm already in the loser bracket! Maybe I'll fight my way out, and mikeworks and I can have a thrilling rematch in the finals.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Has Playdek announced what WOTC game they're adapting next? One of the D&D Adventure System games could be pretty cool.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Beelzebozo posted:

I agree with your premise but not your conclusions. I would always rather play Cards Against Humanity than Fluxx. If you hang out with funny people, CAH provides you with a lot more jumping off points and riffing opportunities.

Apples to Apples, also. The rules are clear and understandable and let you just play the game, which as games go, is well suited to generating conversation about and around it. Fluxx is only good at generating conversations about how the rules work. Turning over cards and seeing which one is higher would be a better social game than Fluxx, because at least you don't have to argue about the rules.

As to why Playdek made an iOS version - maybe implementing the convoluted-rear end rules was an interesting programming challenge?

cbirdsong fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 21, 2014

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Carcassonne works over Bluetooth and is excellent with two players. If you have internet access, you could play Lost Cities, the Ticket to Ride Pockets, and Letterpress, though it is not actually based on a physical board game.

(Speaking of iOS games that look like but are not actually board games, Hitman Go.)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall seeing this in here, so: The crappy web-based version of Dominion is being rewritten in Unity, for the web as well as phones and tablets. I hope it feels as good as Hearthstone does. I also hope they revisit their insane pricing structure.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

jerkstores posted:

Sure, there is plenty of randomness, but that is no different than any other card game.

Shuffled decks of cards are inherently sources of randomness, but games can mitigate that to varying degrees in their design. The most extreme example of not doing that would probably be Candy Land, where your entire path through the game is dictated by the order of the cards in the deck.

Ascension is no Candy Land, but it does have more random moving parts than Dominion, for instance. In both games, you can still randomly draw a bad hand out of your deck, but since Ascension adds another deck in the middle of the table that determinines what cards you can buy, it's definitely more random.

You can try to build an Ascension deck toward executing a particular strategy, but the best cards for that strategy might just never come up. This isn't an issue in Dominion because the middle of the table is relatively static. Adding powerful unique cards to Ascension's center card deck would definitely tilt things further away from the player with the best planning and further toward the player with the most luck.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

The dragon is dumb and adds an extra 120 turns to the game. It's fun in the beginning when you can eat meeps and ruin cities, but when you're late in the game with a lot of complete cities and roads, you waste a shitload of time moving that dragon around empty spaces. It's painful to play an async game with more than 2 people when you have that expansion enabled.

It's extra dumb that they don't just automatically advance the dragon when there's only one valid direction.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Pocket Tactics is really talking up Galaxy Trucker:

Pocket Tactics posted:

“Hey, didn’t you just write about Galaxy Trucker last week?” Yep. I did. Here’s the deal: I am head over heels in friggin’ love with Galaxy Trucker. I never knew before that I wanted to be the captain of a galactic garbage scow cobbled together from random parts and race other junkers on freight-hauling runs, but I did.

Galaxy Trucker is the top-class board-game-to-digital adaptation we’ve been waiting all year for. It’s strategic and rewards planning without feeling heavy or inaccessible. It’s light-hearted and fun but in a clever, knowing way. The quality of the app takes a little while to truly appreciate because of the cartoony graphics, but it’s one of the best thought-out UIs I’ve seen in some time. It’s got more multiplayer options than an octopus brothel.

I'm not sure about that last sentence, but I'm glad this apparently turned out so well.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

As an apple fan I am a bit miffed at how fast my glorious iPad one has become out dated. 😁

The iPad 1 is a particularly rough case, considering the iPad 2 will probably even be supported for iOS 9.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

TotallyGreen posted:

Is Galaxy Trucker worth getting for the singleplayer if I am antisocial and dont like other humans?

I definently feel like I got my moneys worth from Agricola, for instance, despite never doing multiplayer.

Absolutely. It has a giant single player campaign.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
TTR is a bad asynchronous game. It's very easy to forget what your plan is between turns, and there's just one decision to make each time you open the app. A ton of your time in an async TTR game is going to be reacquainting yourself with the board state and then drawing two cards. How exciting. It's great in-person, though. Plays much faster than the tabletop version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Dominion is out and it's a technical clusterfuck. Here is me using the login screen with the keyboard hidden:

You can't paste stuff in from a password manager, so I had to go back and forth to manually copy my long-rear end randomly generated password, 6 or 7 characters at a time. The second trip in, I tap and look, the first half of the password is revealed in the username field for some insane reason:

it's the same password as my luggage

Once I actually managed to log in, I found it apparently isn't designed to sync the campaign progress I made in the browser version a while back. So, yeah, this seems just as ineptly done as the first version all those years ago now.

• Locked thread