Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CrushedWill posted:

Does anybody recall how often the Canon refurb bodies go on sale and what kind of discount is typical during the sale? I'm thinking about a 7d.
They've been on sale for over a week:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_260463_-1?WT.mc_id=C126149

In stock, 15% off normal refurb price, $1019.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Do you have something else filling the UWA role or just don't need one?

I'm contemplating selling my 17-40/4L as well since I find myself shooting around 24mm anyway, and I could just as well use my 24-70 for that and probably get better results.

edit: Or a 24mm TS-E II :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 20, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Instrumedley posted:

Speaking of the Sigma 35, anyone here have it? How is it?
I'm not aware of anyone around here picking one up yet, but the online reviews of it are spectacular.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Save a bit more and get a 6D when they hit the refurb store this summer. :getin:

You get a much less bulky body than the 5D line, 5DIII-like image and video quality, the newer iFCL metering, replaceable focusing screen for manually focusing lenses faster than f/2.5, Wi-Fi is neat for studio work, and it's not EOL like the 5DII.

You might miss the AF point selection joystick if you're used a body that has one, but otherwise you probably won't notice it missing.

edit: But really you'll probably be fine with a 7D.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fivre posted:

Who needs a joystick when only one AF point works, right?
Fair point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

See what you did, woot fatigue?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Still waiting for my 82mm center-pinch to arrive. :mad:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I assume there's no noise benefit to using ISO 50 on a 5D III, considering Canon has it disabled by default?

Also after switching from a 24-105 f/4L to a 24-70 f/2.8L II, I realized that the former was better suited to video work thanks to the IS. Out of curiosity I started looking at picking up one of the new EF 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm IS lenses that Canon released in the last few months to be used strictly for video stuff and was flabbergasted to see I could easily just buy another used 24-105 f/4L for around the same price. :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

ISO 50 is basically 1 stop overexposed and fixed in camera.
I figured as much. So the net result would be be clipped highlights?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Buy a Brother laser printer and if you need prints go to Walmart or something.
Costco.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Erwin posted:

Do you have to be a Costco member to get prints there?
Yep.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Nah. Just get a friend that is a member to buy you a bunch of $10 Costco gift cards. When it's time to pay they'll ring you up as a special member, swipe your gift card, and if your total exceeds the value of the card you can use your debit or Amex to pay the rest.
How do you order the prints in the first place? I had to put in a member # to order prints the first time. Use your friend's?

Also you don't even need a membership to buy a gift card.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Do you order online? I go in person and use their automated machines.
That explains it then. Yeah I order online and then pick up in-store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 5D III (I'm assuming that's your body for the RAW video hack) ML stuff is basically pre-alpha right now and really isn't meant to be user-friendly just yet. They're still in the experimental/proof-of-concept phase and will work on making it easier and prettier for newbies later. There are guides to get it going, but I'd still hold off unless you have previous ML experience.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

corkskroo posted:

So assuming I go for the 6D, is the 24-105mm 4.0 it comes with worth a drat 4.0 is pretty lame but then I don't have any experience with full sensor and for all I know the extra light makes a huge difference. Is there a better all-around lens that is recommended for a body-only buyer? Or is the price break on getting the lens as a kit add on that good? It's hard to tell on Amazon if it's the same lens, but it looks like they give you an $1100 lens for a $500 upsell on the kit...)

And finally, is the 1.4 that much better than the ol' 1.8 when it comes to the 50mm? That's pretty much our every day lens so for a few bucks it could be worth upgrading if image quality was that much better, especially with the $1000 savings over the 5D.
See comments about the 24-105 f/4L in this thread within the last week. It's really one of Canon's most versatile lenses. And you should absolutely always get the 24-105 kits because it can be sold for ~$800 which is always more than the kit difference.

I somewhat regret selling mine and switching to the 24-70 f/2.8L II (mostly for video reasons).

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 2, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Haggins posted:

It's really a pain to use filters and a hood at the same time anyway, especially a filter that needs constant adjustment like a polarizer. If you really need to, just use your hand as a flag in a pinch.
Yep. I'm usually shooting with a remote anyway if I'm using filters, so it's pretty easy to shade the camera.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm always tempted to snag a 40mm pancake for when I want to go light and pull the grip and 24-70 off of the 5D.

Maybe I'll watch Canon refurb now that they're doing 15% off select lenses again.

Edit: they have it right now for $135

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Inf posted:

Yeah, some of my aforementioned lady friend photographers don't really have any understanding of the technical side of photography, but they take good photos just based on the non-technical aspects (i.e. composition).
A good friend has no clue about the technical side of photography if I try to talk with her about it, but she takes some pretty great shots; especially her infrared stuff:

One of these days I need to take that IR-converted body for a spin.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 10, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm guessing because you have a 17-50 2.8 that you were shooting on a crop body?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

He shot on a 50D.
I somehow glossed over that critical point.

I definitely found my 70-200 a bit too tight for shooting events on my 7D, but on full-frame it's perfect.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ay-ess-ay

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I figured someone would appreciate it. :hfive:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bisticles posted:

Anybody been able to get their hands on the Samyang 24mm?
The-Digital-Picture posted their review a week or so ago. They weren't terribly impressed with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bisticles posted:

Wow... those samples are atrocious.
Keep in mind that they're directly comparing it to one of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever produced, so it's not exactly a fair fight.

Also you probably wouldn't be shooting wide open like that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon generally goes out of their way to disguise lenses and bodies that are being tested so as not to attract attention. There's no way they gave someone a camera to test with a "EOS 3D" strap.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

77mm and 82mm center-pinch Canon caps are in stock at Adorama, if you're like me and have been :f5:ing B&H's back-ordered page for the last 2 months.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 27, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leviathor posted:

Looks like the 77 mm is in stock at B&H?
I already got my 77 a while ago so it's possible that it's been in stock for some time. It's the 82 that's been impossible to find.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Based on what it's lacking and the price point, they definitely seem to be making room for a new prosumer crop-body like a 7D II. I wonder if we'll see it before the year is over.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw.
Wrong, based on what I saw at the 2 college graduations I attended in the last month. Professionals want smooth focus rings with a long throw, but they're the minority now.

Parents are using DSLRs as video cameras like crazy now. It's understandable that Canon would want to focus on AF for what are ultimately consumer bodies now; not entry-level, but absolutely mainstream.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is there an SLR out there aside from the 60D and 70D that has a top LCD that isn't a rectangle?
Not that Canon makes. I can't speak for other manufacturers since I don't pay much attention to what they're making these days.

Have a nice comparison tool: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Top-Comparison.aspx

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

Is Kai the one who has named his wireless network Cuntflaps?
Yep.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Amazon dropped the TS-E 24mm II to $1999 with an additional 2% back.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Ultra-Tilt-Shift-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001TDL2O0/

I'm very close to pulling the trigger at that price. :ohdear:

edit: Adorama's got the same price. Did new rebates kick in?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CarrotFlowers posted:

Are you the Dorkroom's resident dentist? Man the gear you pick up gives me gear lust so bad.
No I'm just overpaid, not married yet, and I switched expensive hobbies from PC gaming to photography a few years back since L-glass holds its value a hell of a lot more than a video card that gets replaced in the market every 6 months. I don't end up with much time for hobbies anyway right now since I work ~50 hours a week and go to school full-time, but that won't stop me from buying toys. If it wasn't camera gear, it would probably be cars or something. At least my more artistically gifted friends get to borrow nice gear. I also frequently unload stuff at Crazy Gideon prices on SA-Mart, so I guess the community benefits. :)

I think my hobby really just boils down to being more interested in the technical side of the photography rather than the artistic side. That's not to say I don't appreciate photography as an art; I love going to exhibits and seeing all of the creative stuff people come up with online. I'm just not very good at it and don't have the time to fully invest myself in the hobby. I suppose that would classify me more as a camera enthusiast. If I had any less sense, I'd probably be one of those guys over at POTN listing all of the gear I own pretending anyone else even gives a drat.

I'd love for my current job's exposure to embedded systems to someday allow me to do something like ARM firmware development for Canon's camera bodies, but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan. I know they have some engineering presence in New York, but I don't know in what capacity.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tarepanda posted:

It may not actually be as hard/impossible as you think -- I did some CV stuff and had a presentation for Casio's camera division last year.
The "but I believe all of that engineering is done in Japan" is my polite way of saying that I don't want to go to Japan. :)

I did recently learn, however, that RED is located down the street from me so there's still hope that I could someday get a job doing work for a camera designer!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 3, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dren posted:

You are living the dream
At this point I have to spend more on the ring than all of my combined L-glass' value, right? That only seems right to me.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hopefully clearing them out in advance of a refresh that has the new hotness AF system from the 70D. :q:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, it sure seems like that's what is coming. Canon could really shakeup the mirrorless arena with a great body and the new AF system.
Just discontinue the Rebel line at that point if it ever happens.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Reading what you guys wrote about the TS-E 24mm has weakened my will. You guys are evil.
A rental. Cute. :smugdog:

quote:

Your guaranteed delivery date is:
Friday, July 5, 2013

Your package is being shipped by UPS and the tracking number is -.

Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Ultra Wide Tilt-Shift Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$1,999.00

Item Subtotal: $1,999.00
Shipping & Handling: $5.99
Promotion Applied: -$0.00
Total Before Tax: $2,004.99
Sales Tax Collected: $160.40
Shipment Total: $2,165.39
Paid by Visa: $2,165.39
I wasn't home to sign for it today. :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 6, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oprah Haza posted:

LUCKILY THE 5D3 IT WAS ATTACHED TO ONLY GAINED ONE SCUFF MARK AS A RESULT. I initially thought the mount had ripped off in the crash - the shock/"oh poo poo" thoughts were probably why I didn't start punching people in the dick.
It might not have helped in your case with people running into the tripod, but if I'm going to be setting up in the same spot for a while I always hang my bag from the tripod. It helps lower the center of gravity and can stop a strong gust of wind or an accidental bump from wrecking your gear.

Sorry about your 17-40. I've got a like-new 17-40 that I'll probably be unloading next week if you're hunting for a replacement soon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Probably Adorama.