Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Feenix posted:

I hated how this game felt in beta. I even didn't like it a week before launch. For some reason I turned it back on last night and had an encouragingly entertaining time.

I still feel like I fight with the controls a little bit, and at times stuff kinda jitters and jumps, and sometimes I feel like it takes too long to whittle down health/kill a guy. It becomes a strafe dance.

I'm still a noob at this game, and obvious advice is obvious - but I started doing a lot better once I took my time and played more cautiously, lining up shots while my target spazzes out. The game seems to play out more methodical then Halo or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Monastery Dweller posted:

Btw. I play with the move controller.

How does the game play with the Move Controller? I was considering getting a keyboard/mouse setup, but is the Move thing fairly accurate in play? If it's anything like Wii controllers with their almost-but-not-quite accuracy, it would drive me crazy.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Feenix posted:

[edit] Further making Ambush suck is when reserves run out and you stare at a loving map for a few minutes while the robo-lady occasionally says poo poo like "you really should pick a spawn and head in, you lazy jerk!" and you're all like "Look, you idiot, it won't let me!"

That's just her way of trolling you. Though it would be better if she offered you a respawn for 100,000 ISK, then met you at the spawn with a bullet to the head and a smile while saying, "Welcome to Eve."

Ambush is pretty pointless though. It can be "fun," but when the length of your fun is directly tied to progression, it's really just a waste of a game mode.

Perhaps they should offer reward incentives based on how long you stay alive, or how many men you shoot between each spawn, or something. Just anything really that makes the payout equal to the other mode.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Sammus posted:

He's sold 50 of the things since I linked it, he must be feeling pretty happy.

You should demand a commission. I bought two because of your link.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Barf Wight posted:

:eyepop: 1 million? Guess I really should save it. But man do I feel outmatched a lot of the time, having a shootout with a guy in an advanced or protosuit while being in a militia suit is sort of tough. Though it is very satisfying to blast some guy with an expensive suit in the back.

Yeah, I thought I was decent at the game until I graduated from the newbie academy...holy hell...

Though despite all the dudes in their proto-suits, the funniest thing to me was getting shot by lasers from space while I was climbing a ladder. It was like, "welp."

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

So I know profile vs. scan rates determines how easy it is to spot you on the radar, but how worthwhile is it to use the mods that lower your profile? I use them on my sniper fit, assuming it would help me hide, but how useful are they for an assault fit? It's hard to tell if they are helping me sneak up on people, or if they just aren't paying attention anyways. I'm trying to decide if sacrificing armor is a good trade for rat-bastard sneakiness, or if I'm just wasting my time.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Cyks posted:

Best bet right now is to just hoard as much isk as possible and wait from them to announce player driven markets and eve to dust transactions, then purchase as much items you can for the inevitable price jump. If they ever do decide to do allow the transfer between the two games.

Personally I wonder how it will affect things if they integrate the markets. I'm assuming earning ISK in Eve is quicker than earning ISK in Dust, but I only play Dust casually so I could be mistaken. My main thought is that it wouldn't affect Eve that must, but if an Eve player transferred ISK straight up to a DUST player, couldn't that keep them in the best dropsuits and gear for ages?

Seems a bit tricky since it would be an artificial integration of economies.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Uba Stij posted:

If I remember correctly they want to have the EVE/DUST markets integrated within a year (so by roughly FanFest 2014). At present their big issues is the disparity in value between EVE ISK and DUST ISK, which their teams are working on figuring out and won't happen overnight. In essence from what I heard/remember of Fanfest EVE is a big mound of cash, and DUST is a hole, the plan is to even both sides out so they can let the players manipulate the economy without utterly destroying both games.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing how economic integration is possible unless it's severely restricted to the point where it's not really integrated at all. Basically, anyone who plays Eve as well would have a severe advantage in Dust, unless they came up with some weird explanation like the two ISKs were different currencies and heinously taxed them on exchange rate or some bull.

Of course, maybe that's the idea, to make Dust players also start up an Eve account to finance their shooting of mans? Which sounds like a horrible idea, so of course maybe there is some truth to it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Uba Stij posted:

I disagree, you need the sidearm since most of the time if they can't counter sniper, they'll sneak up behind you.

Yeah, the SMG seems to be pretty awesome for this. For some reasons, when I do play a sniper fit, it seems like half my kills are from the SMG - sometimes it seems to really melt the enemy into goo.

Other good points in this thread: I'll probably swap out my damage mods for shield extenders, since they aren't really helping that much anyways in a sniper fit. Which in turn will make it easier to SMG people who approach.

So I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I like playing assaults who happen to carry a sniper rifle? :doh:

imperialparadox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 5, 2013

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Packed AV grenades are fun. I love when some joker thinks he's going to be cute and run me over in his jeep and I just blow him up without breaking a sweat.

I haven't really messed with grenades much. How many does it take to kill the murdertaxi? Because if it's just one...I'm going to have to change things up.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Uba Stij posted:

Somedays, I really wonder why I bother posting on the DUST Forums

These are real people that are saying these things on the DUST forums? :stare:

Sometimes people amaze me. Not in the "ha ha I can make fun of these dudes kind of way," but just in a "my god I hate humanity kind of way."

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

IronSaber posted:

I'm still holding out for if/when CCP implements a way to hijack enemy ships with clones.

The way I think it could work would be to queue up a boarding party like in any match, and then have that ship go hunting for one that is also queued up (or has some form of PvE enabled). Then shenanigans ensue!

That would kick rear end - I don't really expect it to happen - but could you imagine the rage in some tryhard corp when somebody loses their ship because because their DUST compatriots sucked?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

CCP needs to make DUST matter quickly, and something EVE-side is going to have to break for it to happen.

Give every null system a capital planet. If you don't own 51% or more of the districts on that planet, you can't place a TCU in the system. I'm fond of the potential chaos such a thing would create, and DUST would quickly become very important.

Also destroy DUST's "economy" right now and link it immediately to EVE. Don't build a separate economy and then try to link them together. Just add DUST to the existing one. Connecting two isolated systems without breaking both is more difficult than gradually adding on to one.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. CCP just needs to blow some poo poo up and merge the two games, if that's their long-term goal. I don't really think that taking baby steps help in this situation helps, as the problem with the discrepancies between both games just gets worse as time goes on.

However, I do think that CCP will have a big PR issue on their hands with such a merger, since integrating the two games in such a way essentially means that EVE players will be somewhat at the mercy of DUST players, who are playing a game with a completely different play style.

It perhaps would have been better if they didn't "launch" DUST until they had more of the integration issues worked out, though they've been working on this game for a while now.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Samahiel posted:

Really CCP has two main problems. Dust needs to be a good enough shooter to draw people for satisfying gameplay while at the same time having enough RPG elements to separate itself meaningfully from the field of battlefield clones.

I wonder how successful CCP expects DUST to be, because the console FPS market is a viscious place for newcomers. I like DUST, but that's because I like EVE; for the average non-EVE player it's a rather mediocre shooter, but at least it's free I guess? To beat a dead horse it still seems like this game should have been on the PC as well.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Lassitude posted:

They've already shown footage of rogue drone coop PvE stuff. I really wish they'd go ahead and add it in already. The worst part about DUST has to be the absolutely glacial pace of development.

I wasn't even aware that they intend to have PvE elements. I guess I could see a thing where you buddy up and fight a drone hive with the possibility of finding rare limited-run blueprints to give you an edge in battle, or would that be reacted to negatively by the player-base since it would be "forcing players to PvE" in their PvP game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Uba Stij posted:

Didn't they say its unlikely due to most of CCP taking time off for the summer and so forth? At least in the way of major changes.

Isn't this game eventually making its way to the PS4? If so, I don't think that there will be any "major" updates until then.

• Locked thread