Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
For anyone interested in hacking the Wii U, here is a recording of a presentation from a hacker conference touching on that very subject. Couple of goofs from Nintendo and such, but no Wii U Homebrew Channel just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

GamingBolt posted:

Asked if the Wii U’s lesser specs would undermine the game’s key selling point, the visuals, [Andy] Tudor responded, “No, if anything I think it’ll showcase the hidden power that the Wii U has. There’s no equivalent of Project CARS on Wii U, yet we hear the shouts from Nintendo fans loud and clear that they can’t wait to get their hands on this kind of experience so we hope to make them proud with the quality of the visuals.
“Sure there are maybe more stringent technical constraints but the same core experience will remain, plus additional features that take advantage of the controller’s unique second screen and touch interface.”
http://gamingbolt.com/project-cars-will-showcase-the-hidden-power-of-the-wii-u-slightly-mad-studios

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
It's probably topical to point out that it wasn't that long ago (actually almost exactly a year ago) when Nintendo quietly merged the 3DS and Wii U hardware divisions. I suspect that merger might prove to be quite influential this year for Nintendo.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nintendo are pretty much ignoring everybody who's not in Japan. We've known this for a while now. Even when Iwata said they're reconsidering how they approach making hardware, my first thought was that they'll do something that caters to Japan's "on the go" mindset and start focusing on handhelds, because that's what's working in Japan.

That's not what I'm getting:

Wall Street Journal posted:

Still, Mr. Iwata noted that Nintendo's sales in Japan were better than they were in the U.S. and Europe, and said the company needed a better way of keeping in touch with trends abroad.

"In Japan, I can be my own antenna, but abroad, that doesn't work," he said.
Let's hope those are no mere idle words.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Oh man, for some reason I remembered a Japanese CM for Dreamcast from these past days. Stand up, Iwata-san!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Neo Rasa posted:

The best Nintendo internet moment will always be when you were able to go to https://www.nintendo.com/status and just see a plain text "OK."

Something must be wrong, I'm getting "Whoops!" when I follow that link.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
But hasn't Nintendo's consoles been a hard sell to UK residents anyway? I imagine the Brits warm up more to the cool Playstation brand more than the family friendly Nintendo.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Wii U
Someone still loves uuuuu

(In this case EA.)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I think it's interesting they're planning to develop their own in-house OS (NintendOS?) for their future machines. The fact that they're going to make Wii U their future template brings into mind what I thought of when I first heard about the Wii U - why didn't they use the 3DS as the tablet? The way Iwata mentions the future handheld and console as "brothers" suggests just that sort of arrangement: Rather than two loosely related platforms, we'll probably see a more intimately interconnected system. Whatever they're brewing up in Kyoto, it'll probably be interesting. At the very least, the new 3DS will have that second analog stick from the start.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Too bad: I have sources that say instead of that, Nintendo are going to announce a free-to-play Urban Champion multiplayer game where players get to be the pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Cyra posted:

Just stick with a PC for everything else. Wii U is the only console you need.

Mind you, the Wii U gamepad does also work as a cheap alternative to display-fitted graphic tablets.

• Locked thread