Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I just learned about this game (Extremely bummed I missed out on the kickstarter) and have been devouring any information I can get my hands on regarding it. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is how or if sets will rotate. Will Set 1 be available forever? Will they stop selling it at some point? Will there be the equivalents on Magic's Legacy and Standard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zonekeeper posted:

We have no clue how things are going to shake out. Magic's formats sort of sprung into being as the game matured, so those decisions will likely be made down the road. The first set has to lay a lot of groundwork and set the tone for the entire game, so I wouldn't expect anything too crazy.

That said, I'm looking forward to PVE the most. I love the idea of that format, since it allows them to go crazy with the fun overpowered stuff without worrying about warping the PVP game.

My favorite iteration of Magic was the original Microprose Shandalar game. It was only PVE and the AI sucked, but it was one of the most fun things magic has ever done. While I love drafting and will play a ton of PVP on this, I think the PVE looks far above what the current Magic games give us. Duels of the Planeswalkers (Not the Microprose one) has always been a huge let down to me.

I've been into Magic forever, and everything about this game is what I've been wanting out of Magic ever since Shandalar.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

I had not seen this, and it answers my question, so thanks!

quote:

Q:I would also like to know about the card rotation plan. Will there be standard and unlimited formats, or will all cards be legal to play forever?
A:Right now we're planned for a 2 block format, as well as an everything format. That is the current plan. We might revisit it after 2 years of data.

So, it sounds like there will be a Standard equivalent.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zonekeeper posted:

I shouldn't set my hopes too high.

This is me, I haven't been this psyched for a game since Diablo III, and I really didn't enjoy that game...

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Blazing Zero posted:

In that gencon deck list thing, I noticed a most foul and horrible of horrors! The mushwocky is *gulps* no longer hungry! How many shin'hare did it take to satiate him? We must know!

I think the gencon lists just omitted all flavor text, and since the asterisk is there, I'm assuming he is as hungry as ever.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
There was no update on the main page today, so I took a deeper look around the Hex forums. And they are awful, just terrible. People are posting decklists for a set that we haven't seen all of, some are doing a set review in the style of the Limited Resources M:tG podcast for cards that are subject to change.

But, I think worst of all is a thread that asks the community how they feel about a proposed auction house solution.

The first reply is actually the best one, somebody telling them that they shouldn't ask the members of that forum for advice on anything. But, people apparently have very strong feelings regarding an auction house for a game that they've never played and won't play for months. By far the dumbest thing in that thread is:

quote:

I am assuming the reason why Yoss bring up the idea of using gold as the currency is to put it to use (i.e. make it "valuable" by using it the only legal currency in game). This in turn makes it fiat currency; currency by force.

No fiat currency in my MMO!!!

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

malkav11 posted:

Well, technically the GW2 system is so much better than other MMO systems because it isn't an auction house at all. It's just a player market where you can one click sell stuff for the highest price people are offering or buy stuff for the lowest price people are offering, or get fancy and put out an offer for what you think it's worth. This is so, so much better than auctions. (Seriously, gently caress auctions.)

And, it's leagues ahead of MTGO's system. Making a deck on MTGO is the most frustrating experience I've had with magic. My friend and I were going to each build an EDH deck, but we couldn't spend more than ten tickets. Trying to find a bot to trade with that has random common x from 8 years ago is a nightmare. Then the whole process of finding all the cards you want only to find out you didn't put your tickets as tradeable, which you can't change mid trade, so you have to leave to alter your tickets, and then when you come back the shop is in use by someone else. It's really a nightmare.

Wizards has really dropped the ball in so many aspects on MTGO, and I really hope that Hex either provides a far superior experience or makes wizards re-evaluate their product or, hopefully, both.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
There is currently a thread on the official forums for slacker backers to get a chance at getting the kick calledstarter cards. There are ten slots left out of sotwo hundred. One will randomly be selected to receive one of each kick starter card. It's fan run, so maybe not a one hundred percent sure thing, but if you are a slacker backer, you may as well. I'd post a link, but my phone sucks. Its a thread called, so you missed the kick starter.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I Heard that the hex machines at Gencon weren't working. Anyone there to confirm this?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

tijag posted:

Those rewards are only available to people actually at Gencon?

They were going to be gencon exclusives, but there was a twenty six page thread on the official forum of people whining about wanting everything ever, so they changed it to being able to open them in packs during Gencon.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Anything that is pve is fine being an exclusive. It's pvp that shouldn't have such exclusives, what do I care if someone has some mercenary that I can't have? It's not like mana vault where I am going to be staring across the board at it and feel as though I was cheated.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

pumpinglemma posted:

I think it would be worth mentioning another of the things that came out of the 26-page forum thread - mercs are explicitly intended as fun ways to shore up a champion's weak points or experiment with new playstyles, not as the bleeding-edge optimal choice. Any mercenary that starts breaking the game will be nerfed. Honestly I'd have been reasonably happy just with that assurance, but having a way of getting con-exclusive mercs is a very nice bonus and makes treasure chests an even cooler idea.

Yeah, that's why I didn't think it mattered that much, I figured the merc was going to be like the sleeves, doesn't really matter but it is cool.

Moving on though, I am interested in seeing how they manage to keep PvE from getting ridiculous. There's going to be a larger pool for the PvE side just from the fact that there are more PvE cards than PvP cards. And, once PvP starts rotating out, the disparity will be huge. I know they said they would never nerf a card, only ban it, but it makes me wonder if over time the original dungeons will become cake walks, since they were designed to be played with Set 1 only. Supposing they get to 6 sets, the dungeons they create for an entire Standard season worth of cards would be considerably tougher than the first ones.

I wonder if that makes an incentive to really keep power creep in check more so than in a game like Magic where there's no such thing as PvE. I'm really interested to see how they handle a lot of these aspects especially in the long run if they are still making cards in 3 or 4 years. There's lots of places to mess up, people will hate it if you ban a card they spent a lot of gold or time to acquire. But everything about PvE would be trivial if all you needed to win was card X and card Y.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

malkav11 posted:

Most MMOs I've played have power creep over time. WoW is currently at a point where raids that used to take 40 people to run and were extremely demanding at that can now be soloed by people in regular gear from the latest expansion. Not even raid-geared max-level characters but people just getting into the expansion with a set of greens. I wouldn't be all that surprised for Hex to work out that way as well.

I've never played an MMO for more than a couple of weeks, so I've never actually seen how they evolve. So, maybe it's no big deal that any given dungeon will become trivially easy later on. I really hope that the PvE side of it will be really decent and engaging.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's also a Common, from what it's worth. Yay for not having the rare in your pack be a resource.

In Magic terms, it's basically just Evolving Wilds, a common, with a couple of differences (doesn't think your deck, you can use the color but not the mana the same term). Even though it's a 'different' game, it'd suck to open a Hex pack and have Evolving Wilds as a rare.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Captain Capitalism posted:

This is true. It's not like an Unlimited Dual (which would be something like a 1/1 resource that you can choose from Diamond or Blood threshold), but it's not terrible in a 3 shard deck. I'm sure we'll start seeing different resources as time goes on.

I am really curious how they are going to do duals, and if they will have analogues to the original Magic duals. I wonder if they are just considered too powerful?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Why wouldn't they call it incubus?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I wonder if the transmogrifier retains type? It's not clear to me upon reading it, but could a 1 casting guy turn into a one casting constant?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Afgad posted:

When did they say they were going to implement guilds? Sometime in Alpha?

Also, to reopen that discussion, I'm voting for Hexagoon. That's just too excellent.

Yeah, Hexagoon is the only real choice in that discussion.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I assumed that using the champs' abilities only once was a glitch, but I wasn't sure. Also, the text wrapping really annoyed me, I know it's not a big deal, but it was so weird.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Some Numbers posted:

Rhinos cost more than Lord Alexander?

It's more than or equal to, and they both cost 3.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Hex like mtgo where i can use my packs to draft or should i should i just open them? Can youdraft with primal packs? Should i just open my primals?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I really wish this wasn't the mtg pre release weekend. I've already registered for several tournaments, but I really want to draft some hex. Have they said whether tournaments will be up fir sure this weekend or not?

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 25, 2014

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Have they said anything about how long each set will be available? Will each set be available forever or will they stop printing them at some point.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I know on MTGO the 4-3-2-2 queues have bad EV and all, but since on Hex it's 5-3-2-2, that means that it's the same EV as an 8-4, no?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
How do I add gems to my socketed cards in draft?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Pepper Crab posted:

Right-click the card to zoom in, then click the empty socket on the right side of the card.

AH, thanks, I would have never figured that out.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I thought I'd draft all the one cost 2/1 and 2/2 orcs and the two cost 3/1 orcs, seemed like a really fast deck. Ended up playing against someone who was playing the defense turrets, so I just ended up doing nothing and slowly dying from upkeep damage. :|

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Do you get chests for drafting? So far I've only used my three draft tokens, so I'm assuming if you use a draft token you don't get chests, but if you use packs you do?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I played three tonight, lost round one in the first one, then got second, then third. I'm not used to the turn wheel in the center, I can't really figure out what phase or step I'm in when the button just says 'pass priority'. But when the button is actually labeled "Go to main phase", it's easy.

I really like how even if a card changes zones, it keeps its buffs. I had one opponent return a pacified guy to his hand and then replay it, I think he was expecting Magic rules. This makes effects like Raise Dead in Magic significantly better, especially is used on guys with Rage.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zurai posted:

Yeah, I had a guy try to Call of the Grave a creature I'd reduced to 0 toughness permanently (with champion ability). It still kind of worked because it was a Corpse Fly and it made me discard still, but he was surprised it went straight to the graveyard when he re-cast it.

"Enchantments" (in Magic terms) are way, way better in Hex because it's very, very difficult to remove them. The white card Reversion and things like Polymorph: Dingler and Monkey of the Nine Tails are about it, and Polymorph doesn't help against hostile "enchantments".

Incidentally, if you're playing white, do draft a Reversion or two. They're insanely useful. They undo both temporary and permanent stat changes, heal damage, un-transform cards (like Construction Plans: War Hulk, got a guy with that one tonight), etc. One of the most versatile cards, and it only costs 1 to play.

Oh wow, I didn't realize it undid temporary effects, but that makes sense.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I feel like there are a lot of really bad drafters on hex. In the last pack of this draft. I picked up three wind whisperers. One of them was a tenth pick.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zurai posted:

Eh, they're good but I don't think they're 3-of good. They're also very slow and cede the tempo to your opponent. They're very reactive, even moreso than actual removal.

I'm playing four, no regrets!

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Zurai posted:

WTF, I just got a 12th pick Burn to the Ground. 12th! EDIT: Also nearly missed picking an Eternal Guardian because it was invisible in the card selection window. Thankfully I noticed there was no rare visible and moused over that space.

I'm pretty sure I've missed rares in my drafts when I first started because of that bug.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I don't think people realize how good adaptable fusion device is.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Somehow I won a primal pack for getting second? It doesn't say anything about that in the prize list. And, I don't think I've ever won a primal pack in the past for first or second? Does every pack have a chance to be a primal? And, when you win a primal do they replace your pack with a another pack? Because, I still got three packs in addition to the primal.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Doeso anyone else absolutely hate the bottom left hand decklist on the sideboard screen? I can never find anything in it and scrolling is way too difficult. I really wish there were 2 more minutes to sideboard, since there's gem switching and finding your socketed cards is impossible.

E: Also, take a good look at repel's art, it's the worst.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
The second draft I ever played I chose one eye open. My deck was full of the white tap a dude guy and the llanowar elf guys. If you have to mana dudes out, you can use it as ramp, or if you have 2 tap guys out you can tap their team. I've never used it after that match, because that deck just wanted that champion. I find myself using the create a bot guy or the target creature get's a -1/-1 or +1/+1 counter guys.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
I just did a draft where I'm pretty sure no one wanted to play removal.

Here's the deck sans shards:

1 Buccaneer
1 Captain of the Dragon Guard
3 Construction Plans: War Hulk
1 Devited Enussary
2 Gearsmith
1 Heroic Inspiration
2 Inner Conflict
1 Mastery of Time
1 Oracle Song
3 Peek
1 Polymorph Dingler
3 Repel
2 Time Ripple
1 Wind Whisperer

My concern is that it is VERY reactionary, and the gear smiths don't seem that good with only 3 artifacts, but the construction plans are my main focus. I"m going to pick the the guy that makes robots with his charges and just try to hold out until I get some war hulks online. Maybe it'll suck, but I'm excited to try this deck out.

E: Also, mastery of time doesn't seem that good in draft.

E: I lost first round, whee

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2014

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Does anyone else have way more packs than they used to? I have 356 packs now and 14 primals. I had seven primals and 178 packs yesterday. How did I double my packs? Is it a glitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude
Oh man, I really hoped I had double things.

• Locked thread