Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm loving these new opponent deck manipulation cards. Between the Booby Traps and this new one, I'm wondering how effective a "gently caress your deck" build would be. Consistency would be an issue, but we've still got a number of cards to see yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Kairos posted:

Well, that's the last of the Dungeon Crawler tiers gone.

I got in at 5 left. Mine is still a tentative grab, I still have to do some cost-benefit analysis to justify it.

Have they stated what all we can use gold for? Are we going to be able to buy pvp cards on the AH? Is there a good article on how dungeons are set up, or hell, PVE in general?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Tamba posted:

New article about the deck editor
http://hextcg.com/data-editor-paradise/

This just looks like a deck editor with minor statistical reporting, and the ability to do test draws. Pretty basic.

Did I miss something, or is this just proof that their deck editor isn't complete poo poo?

Fake edit: I guess this shows a bit on how they're managing equipment, assigning it directly to decks.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

If PvE is anything like Shandalar was, I will spend months playing it exclusively.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The kickstarter just ended friday, and the game is currently pre-alpha. Beta is scheduled for September, and alpha a few weeks before that.

If the economy is anything life MTGO, basically everything will be cheap as hell except chase rares.

E:fb. I'm just going to stop answering questions while on my phone

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I don't think anyone is saying not to take the big money cards if you open a pack with one.

You crack a Tarmogoyf, you take the Tarmogoyf. :shrug:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Drafting two boosters of regular product and then a primal could be pretty fun.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

It makes me wonder if they're going to allow automation of some looping effects. For example, if I become able to permanently sac and bring back a card for one damage by a four step process, will I be able to say "do X, sac Y, bring back X and Y, 1 damage to you, loop", or am I just gonna have to manually click it the whole time?

I asked that to them via kickstarter but they never got back to me.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Neraren posted:

I believe they've said they want to avoid implementing arbitrarily big loops. You're asking for too much if you want infinite combos that have an "I win" mechanic to speed through them. If it takes 50 actions to achieve a result you should have to perform all 50 actions.

Once you get so many cards, it's going to happen that something will go infinite. It's pretty much inevitable.

When that happens, I'd rather have a loop that goes off rather than my watch my opponent play solitaire for a half hour.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Any word on being able to be in multiple guilds? I'd like to be in the goon guild, but I've got a group of non-goon friends I'd like to be able to share decks with and such

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I like that elf. Free 6/6 trample crush is not bad. Turn 8 is probably going to be too slow to be really good, though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blazing Zero posted:

I'm not sure, but I think you're talking about the gen con tourney? If so, then how is it going to make the game more equal? The cards to be competitive aren't going to be that difficult to acquire unless you are absolutely against spending money for a TCG, unless you mean skill wise? Aren't they going to allow anyone inside a guild practice with phantom copies of decks that other guild members put up? You could spend nothing and learn the inner workings of all the best PvP decks if this were the case. Of course, CZE could lock that behind VIP or something.

You can do that right now in Magic by putting torn up pieces of paper with card names into your card sleeves.

Either way, he's taking about the fact that everyone would be going in mostly blind, and thus being the most "equal" in terms of experience.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Have they said if you get chests for packs opened via draft?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, so you get chests and you can sit on them? They're not automatically opened with the rest of your pack? So you just sit on your chests until there's an event and crack them all? Or is their loot table determined at the time you open the pack?

http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/
"There are also Special Events, which include holidays and conventions like Gen Con 2014. If the chest is generated (meaning you opened the pack during the event), it will have a stamp that lets you know it has a modified loot table to include the special event items."

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Kairos posted:

The art for Ikki the Shard Grafter has to be the worst piece we've seen so far. Costume design aside, everything about the anatomy is distorted and out of proportion. Kind of surprised that got approved for actual use.

Worse than tittywolf?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blinkman987 posted:

If it's an issue, it'll be made bigger.

It really kind of is. I took a good two minutes staring at it until I realized that there were actually numbers inside it.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Why not just buy Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014? It's only $10, and it's made with the intent to teach Magic to someone (and by extension, Hex) Or get the demo, I guess, I don't know how good that is though.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

New article up on the Alpha start process and keep names.

Gotta pick a suitably horrible, troll-tastic keep name! Hrm. . . Libertopia? Worker's Paradise?

I can't wait to play against top tier card players such as Buttmaster of Weedgoku.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pumpinglemma posted:

Two more fansite card spoilers are out - a Sapphire mill card that doubles as a meaty flier in the mid-late game, and a sort of temporary ramp card for Ruby. Both look pretty sweet and I think they'll have a place in mill and aggro decks respectively.

I was getting really excited about that blue sapphire flyer until I reread it. Only gets big on opposing graveyards. Oh well.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Actually, I have a rules question that I'm pretty unsure about.

What is an action? Is it just the cards that specifically say action on them, or does it count troop/artifact summoning as well? What about playing resources?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I'm not surprised that lots of people are psyched for a viable mill deck, with cards that are actually interesting. I know I am.

It's one of those strategies that Magic could never quite make work, except as an instant win combo. It's great that it's getting some love here.

I feel like there's a lot of deck removal cards, though. Your Omen of Oblivions, Persecutes and such. I wonder if there is going to be a way to retrieve voided cards still unrevealed, or to come in Set 2.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

pumpinglemma posted:

For PVP, everyone gets the same set of champions to pull from. Over the life of the game, new ones will become available and old ones will be rotated out. The set 1 champions have actually been spoiled already - see here for a convenient list - and there's a really nice pool to draw from. (I particularly like the Sapphire champions...)

Is it official that these are all the champions we're getting for Set 1? It was in my mind that this was just a few, but I haven't heard any official word.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

Bun'jitsu offers some interesting potential if there are really high p/t creatures at low cost with drawbacks, since he blanks their abilities.

That's a cool deck idea, actually. The only real candidate I'm seeing is Claw of the Mountain God. Definitely something to keep an eye out for when spoiler goes live.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Isn't that the art for one of the Kickstarter mercs?

e: It is.

They've done the same thing with Gas Troll/Gorfenblort.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Zurai posted:

The deck I really want to build has to wait for PvE, alas. Pack Raptor (with cantrip sword), Petulant Wyldebeest (with affects-every-copy armor), The Ancestors' Chosen, Eye of Creation, Oracle Song, and Replicator's Gambit, with the Cardboard Tube Samurai mercenary providing the one sapphire threshold the deck needs. If you can Gambit a Wyldebeest before it does its own return-to-deck ability then redraw it, you have rapidly inflating numbers of arbitrarily huge 1-cost haste critters. The Pack Raptors and Ancestor Spirits are both cantrips, so drawing them (or playing them with Eye of Creation) doesn't cost you card draw. The only things in the deck that cost more than 3 resources to play are the Eyes of Creation, so you shouldn't get too resource-screwed even with your deck quickly ballooning to massive proportions.

I'm sure it's not the best deck ever, but it should be hilarious to play.

Hopefully the Wild West format (PvP with equipment. or whatever they decide to call it, that's an awful name) will be a popular format. It seems like it could be hilarious.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Reminder that there will be a stream in just under 2 hours.

There's been no news today, so I would imagine that they're saving everything for then.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I didn't get to watch all of it due to ~work~, but did they mention when the full spoiler would be out?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Actually, found the stream notes on the official forum. Copy/pasting below for my fellow workers.

quote:

Alpha is alpha. Things are rough and there will be bugs and glitches
10-20% of the games are currently ending in crashes
Updates through the alpha patcher may be occuring daily or every other day
Some cards aren't showing the correct resolution and will be fixed
About 70 cards are missing from the game current. Will be added when ready. Cards may be added daily
There is a rudimentary AI, much improvement is needed to it
At the end of a game, game stats will display (not currently displaying)
MVP card will be shown at the end of the game (not currently displaying)
A rotating "wacky stat" will be shown as part of the stat (not currently displaying)
Several new cards were spoiled during the cast
Some of the art has changed on previous spoiled cards, as the art didn't live up to Cory's expectations. Example: Sword Trainer

And most importantly. Alpha invites have not gone out. There are still major issues with the launcher/patcher and game crashes. People are working 24/7 and invites will start going out when its ready (could be tonight... could be tomorrow).

[Alpha Invites]

Alpha Might be delayed

Hextcg: We're currently looking at giving people an update on when alpha invites will begin releasing around 4 PM PST today.

Hextcg: Slacker backers will have access in a few weeks, most likely

Hextcg: I can't give an exact answer to when any particular person will receive alpha access.

Hextcg: The $250 tiers will get in the second wave. I cannot say specifically when that will be other than as soon as possible.

Hextcg: while the first wave is just 1,300 people, we'll be able to open the pipeline to invite larger amounts in the future.

Hextcg: I can't answer anything specific about alpha access like uptime as that is all dependent on our hardware and engineers.

Hextcg: I just want to emphasize that Alpha is a "work in progress" and very distinct from Beta.

[Support]

Hextcg: We're partnering with Twitch to do a lot of things, like integration, and we're going to make sure the game has the proper visibility once it's more polished.

Hextcg: we will support Steam API

[Spoiler]

Hextcg: The spoiler is done

Hextcg: There will be a spoiler PDF published.

Hextcg: The spoiler I project will be today or tomorrow (if we can't get the two critical bugs fixed), tied to alpha invites going out.

[Misc]

Pass priority able to adjust from 3-10 secs *Adjustable for Various phase

70 cards unable for play due to some bugs (unsure when will this be resolved)

Hextcg: Names will persist from alpha to beta to retail.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just wish it was good.

Related to this, I'd really like to see some custom win animations for things like this. If I actually assemble this beast and use it, can we get an animation of a giant spear lodging in the picture of the opposing (or hopefully not my) champion?

It would be so disappointing if it just kind of pinged the other guy like it was a goddamn Burn. It's a 5-card combo that deals 5,000 straight up. It needs some sort of zazz.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Aren't there some clone artifact and artifact-specific tutor cards in the set?

I see that card as a way to add an alternate win condition to an artifact-manipulation deck. It's a 2-cost artifact card that can generate more copies of itself, but you can't build a deck around it because there are too many counters (prevent/redirect damage, etc).

Not really for artifacts, at least not in my quick scan of the spoiler. For troops, yes.

Disregarding shenanigans, it's going to cost you five draws, none of which do anything until they're all out, 10 resources, and all the while they're exposed to your opponent. Not to mention the difficulty of actually drawing them

Until you have five out, those draws would be better off as literally anything

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Look at cards like Pterobot (pay one less to summon this for each artifact you control), Slaughtergear, etc. That's what it's useful for.

Looking at the spoiler though a lot of cards which I thought said "exhaust artifact" now say "exhaust robot." I'm not sure if that's a new change or just my memory - I was thinking that (for example) you could use Slivers as a cheap artifact to tap for Volcannon but you can't, has to be a robot.

Goblin Cooking Pot is 1 cheaper, and can set back an opponent's charges, but it isn't a dead draw.

I know, the Spear is super cool, and it it's massive Timmy/Johnny-bait. It was one of the first things I looked at using. As a Timmy/Johnny, I reaaaaaally want to spear someone.

It just doesn't have the support it needs yet. It might be still be unspoiled, or it might be in an upcoming set. Midnight Shepherd is in the same spot.

If someone figures it out, I'll be more than happy to eat my words. Maybe someone will get the Demolisher to work. I just can't see it happening without the most amazing luck ever.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I just noticed they really nerfed Archmage Wrenlock. He lost his "actions cost 1 less to cast" ability.
:negative:

Probably for the best, though. He's still really good with the draw ability.

aunt jemima posted:

This is a nice read for folks coming over from MTG, which I think is a good number of us.
http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/10/09/the-magic-the-gathering-players-guide-to-hex-tcg/

Good article, it'll definitely help some of my friends to make the changeover

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jedit posted:

When is noon?

Pacific, so 20 minutes ago.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Mikujin posted:

I hope that means they're in the process of sending them out since I'm a GK with nothing yet. :(

Don't forget to check your junk mail.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Korak posted:

One guy streaming and apparently only 4-20 people on the server right now. Interesting Blood/Sapphire deck.

Any MTG people that are knowledgeable about deck numbers want to go over the strategy of using a card that adds 2+ cards a turn to your deck, completely screwing with your deck draws? Seems like it'd be a really bad card in magic(unless said cards it adds are really loving good), and probably a bad card in Hex.

Yeah, you don't actually lose a draw, you just get a 2/2 flyer for 1. It's fantastic.

If the spirits didn't have the draw attached, yes, you'd be right.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Karnegal posted:

I really like Demolisher, it's such a powerful effect and there's like what, 1 card that punishes it?

It's definitely strong, but I see Mill being a huge problem for the deck.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

When mill can mix 4 5-damage bombs and instant kills into the deck, and 2-drop guys that get big based on graveyard state, I start valuing it a little higher. It's a little RNG, but still potentially viable.

That said, I'm not in alpha, and can't really test it. I definitely understand Mill's inherent gamestate issues, though. It looks like they're pushing it fairly hard as a deck type, so we might actually have the tools.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Since we've got nothing else to talk about, Cryptozoic posted this in their alpha forum today

quote:

Hey all. We collected a ton of great data from you all this weekend and through that we discovered four bugs that were causing stability problems, the "Pass Priority" button disappearing, and the "this user is already logged in" error. So, that's great. We're testing fixes over the next day to see if our proposed fixes solve the problems at hand. Thank you for all your help in that and we'll have another update tomorrow should we make some progress on that front.

Also, here's a kind of interesting article about card balancing so far in alpha: http://www.casualhex.co.uk/2013/10/14/alpha-card-changes/

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, and people are apprehensive about Demented Demolisher, which I can understand, but I demolished all those decks this evening by playing 1-cost ruby dorks over and over again. =)

Yeah, once Reginald and Countermagic are in the game, I'm pretty sure Demolisher combo is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

quote:

We'll be deploying a stability patch on Thursday, 10/17 at 10:00 AM Pacific. We expect the server will be down for 1 hour. We'll have more information tomorrow, including patch notes. Thanks for your patience everyone. Hopefully this will solve many of the issues you're experiencing.

Maybe wave 2 soon?

• Locked thread