Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm excited for this. It is eerily like my dreams of a Shandalar MMO, which I've been wanting since the Microprose MTG game was released. The PvE side seems to be mostly single player and played out on a static map, but I'll take it. The dungeons sound amazing. An orc arena dungeon plays like a straight gauntlet, but you earn favor with the "crowd" by drawing first blood or come from behind victories. The more favor, the better the rewards. Another dungeon is full of Mark Rosewater style MTG puzzles(supposedly randomized enough so you can't just look up the solution). It seems like they are really going all out on what could have just been a throwaway to entice the F2P market segment.

As an aside, anyone interested in the sold out tiers should download Check4Change(Firefox) or the equivalent for your browser and set it to watch the tier you want. The sold out tiers actually open up quite a bit as people change tiers or back out. With some luck, you can probably get one without wearing out your F5 button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
An additional unknown in terms of card economy is the crafting system. This will allow you to destroy cards to make crafting-only cards and equipment. They made it sound like the crafted cards will be PvE only, but I could see that both PvE and PvP cards will be eligible for "disenchanting". If the crafted goods are good enough and require a large amount of cards to be trashed, this could really have an effect on the huge glut of singles.

I think it'd be hilarious if a "crap" rare becomes a popular DE target, turns out to be a hidden diamond later on, and is super rare because so many were destroyed. It's hard to really guess about it without knowing more details about crafting though.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
The KS replies to the update are leaning pro-furry.

quote:

Love the mage. Great work!

quote:

Also: The fad of "over-sexualization angst" is getting old. I LIKE fantasizing about bad-rear end, flawlessly sexy women. I've been doing it since Robert E. Howard, and I'll always be doing it. If I can have bunny samurai people, I don't see the reason I can't get plate armor cleavage and alluring fox people.

I mean, drat, that fur must be silky.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can anyone confirm that the alpha accounts are just for alpha? I got two invites, for two different tiers. One of those is for a friend. Does it matter which I give, since the emails don't make any mention of particular tiers? I'm assuming the kickstarter rewards won't be tied to these accounts, and will come later on down the road in the form of codes or entirely new accounts.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm seeing a few possible outcomes at this point:

Nightmare Scenario: The preliminary injunction is granted. All development of Hex stops. The servers are all shut down. The best you could hope for in this situation is that CZE might manage to win, but it's probably doubtful that Hex would continue on.

Typical Scenario: The preliminary injunction is denied. A trial date is set, but before that happens CZE and Hasbro/WotC reach a deal. CZE would probably end up paying quite a bit to Hasbro/WotC, but Hex would survive and might even benefit from the publicity.

Dream Scenario: After the preliminary injunction is denied, Hex development really ramps up. By the time the court date rolls around, Hex has all the things that make it substantially different from Magic, MTGO and DotP. CZE wins the case, and Hasbro/WotC looks like a bully.

Bonus Dream Scenario: Some evidence or a WotC whistleblower comes up during the case that shows that WotC knowingly filed the case just to stifle competition, rather than to protect their IP. CZE files a countersuit, and Hex gets a nice cash infusion for extra development.

I'm guessing we will see a pre-trial settlement.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just ran into my first bugged draft tournament. I had a deck with two Volcannons(both of them were 4th or 5th picks), a nicely curved assortment of robots and dwarves, and some decent removal. I was feeling really good about it, but by the 4th turn of the first game, the game lagged out or something.

I know that support should take care of the draft ticket, but it sucks I didn't get to play one of the better sets of cards I drafted. As a small consolation, I did get to pick up a Eye of Creation without even giving up a good pick. Not that it would have mattered if I had just rare drafted :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I might have been able to reconnect, but I didn't actually ever disconnect. I was just in a stalled out game. I figured it might come back at any second. When I restarted the client, I'm sure I was past the inactivity timer. If it happens again, I'll probably try restarting the client sooner.

Does reconnecting work halfway decently now? The last I read about it, it MIGHT get you back for the current game/match, but continuing in the tournament was more iffy.

• Locked thread