Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lexicon posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was my belief all existing money would be invalidated - merely that I hoped that the events "old lady dying halfway around the world => Canada must issue new money" would trigger some sort of introspection about the whole thing.

We've also been updating the currency as she ages, and also to update out anti-counterfeiting standards. I really dislike the monarchy but I don't think switching our money around after she dies is going to be anything other than business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I'm still waiting for a coal power plant to explode and shower the surrounding areas with radioactive fallout and for everyone to just wave it off with "oh it's just coal it never hurt anybody."

They don't typically explode but part of their standard operating procedure is to scatter radioactive poo poo into the air (due to the naturally-occurring radioisotopes found in coal as impurities).

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I pointed this out earlier. Dude doesn't have to be the spokesman for the Conservative Party and explain why he hasn't licked the dead taint of Jack Layton before placing stamps on NDP donation letters.

Well he really isn't, which makes him more interesting to talk with. Since he isn't the "support everything the Conservatives do no matter what" type.

In fact he only supports them on a couple of narrow issues. I personally think it's weird how he is such a staunch supporter (or even a staffer?) when all he really cares about are taxes. Edit: I mean, because he's on record as finding a lot of their policies disagreeable. I could never support anyone if they did all kinds of things I found to be repugnant, even if they were good as far as one or two things I feel strongly about.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 11, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Aside from how it's a non-crime (getting in trouble for trying hiding your identity when a crime has been committed near you even if they know who you are and can't link you to any crime) the police do it too.

At the Toronto G20 when the police raided Queen's Park, almost one hundred officers were identified after the fact as having removed name tags and badge numbers and punished for it (not because police on the scene committed crimes, just because it goes against their own rules). But there were numerous instances of detainees complaining about being beaten, groped, dragged, etc. who had their accusations dismissed because the officers involved could not be identified - because they had no ID on them in photos and videos and such and their faces were hidden by their visors.

If the standards were the same, then the officers on the scene would have all been punished for those instances.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm in favour of mandatory immigration. :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JoelJoel posted:

I'm a big fan of this quote form the NP (the head of some Canadian Monarchist association):

A monarchist telling us that we care about the baby is pretty much like someone from the Guillotine the Nobles Foundation telling us we don't care.

I'd be interested to see a proper poll on this.

Edit: For the record if there actually was a Guillotine the Nobles Foundation I'd join in a heartbeat

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JoelJoel posted:

Is there any reasonable argument, beyond "some guy killed a cop once", for regular patrol officer to carry guns in Canada? I understand the need to use force in certain circumstances, but I feel that available deadly force is almost exclusively unnecessary in a city with a murder rate of ~3 per 100,000. What percentage of police officers in Canada have ever been in a situation in which a gun has done anything more than give comfort, embolden the officer, or lead to unnecessary violence? Bringing a gun to a knife fight makes it a gun fight.

Sure, cops should have guns, but are they necessary for daily patrol, especially when they have tasers, mace, and backup? Could the threat not have been eliminated without using deadly force? It's like a car chase. Why run through city streets and endanger many people when you can take down the plate number and pick the guy up at home a few hours later?

e: Never mind. The SUI is on the case. Cops always do the best job investigating other cops.

I am a big "gently caress the police" type but I want cops to have guns because I want them to be able to respond when someone is presenting a lethal danger to the public. I don't want situations like in the UK where the cops show up and then cower until someone with a gun eventually shows up.

However, I think that there needs to be some serious rethinking of when they actually get used. I think it's ridiculous that only supervisors carry tazers and that tazers aren't even used in situations where someone has a knife, the cops just go straight to the gun. And then shoot. And shoot again. And keep shooting. And maybe eventually deploy the tazer on the corpse.

In this case the use of guns was rather excessive since the kid was trapped on a streetcar and didn't do anything more threatening than brandish the weapon. I think they should have at least tried to talk him down, and then maybe used the tazer if he tried to attack.

Also, the SIU should all be fired and jailed and rebuilt from non-cops, like perhaps legal professionals who actually know what they're doing and won't cover things up.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What's really damning here, aside from the multiple videos, is that out of all the cops present, out of all the bullets fired, the killing was the doing of just one guy. No one else present seemed to think that bullets were warranted.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Duck Rodgers posted:

In other news it seems that First Nations people were more than just the subjects of nutritional experiments. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/07/31/medical-testing-on-aboriginals-murray-sinclair-trc.html

This certainly adds to calls for Canada's treatment of aboriginals to be labelled genocide (as if there needs to be any more evidence).

What the fuuuuuuuuck. This poo poo keeps getting worse and worse and I'm afraid of what we're going to learn next. It's so god drat shameful.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would support secularism, but this is clearly a bullshit, weasely-worded ban on anything that isn't Christian.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tochiazuma posted:

Coal contains trace amounts of radioactive material, and you're burning a lot of it in one of those plants.

edit: here ya go http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=coal-ash-is-more-radioactive-than-nuclear-waste

"McBride and his co-authors estimated that individuals living near coal-fired installations are exposed to a maximum of 1.9 millirems of fly ash radiation yearly. To put these numbers in perspective, the average person encounters 360 millirems of annual "background radiation" from natural and man-made sources, including substances in Earth's crust, cosmic rays, residue from nuclear tests and smoke detectors.

Dana Christensen, associate lab director for energy and engineering at ORNL, says that health risks from radiation in coal by-products are low. "Other risks like being hit by lightning," he adds, "are three or four times greater than radiation-induced health effects from coal plants." And McBride and his co-authors emphasize that other products of coal power, like emissions of acid rain–producing sulfur dioxide and smog-forming nitrous oxide, pose greater health risks than radiation."

In other words, radiation from nuclear power plant < radiation from coal waste <<<< level you need to care about

When I was doing a research paper on uranium procurement and refinement, I read a journal article (didn't end up using it) where some scientists in Belarus examined the radiation emission and natural isotope content of fly ash from several different coal plants. They were shockingly radioactive, not to mention toxic from heavy metal content, and that was just the crap that didn't make it into the air.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

infernal machines posted:

What was the logic behind this statement?

The Fraser Institute rolls dice and poops out articles that follow the format of "<right-wing philosophy> causes <right-wing talking point>". In this case, they rolled "right to work legislation" and "creates jobs" and then rolled 57 on a D100 to find out how many jobs are created.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sovy Kurosei posted:

There is a picture of it where the article came from. It is adjacent to his property. Hyperboles from the homeowner aside I don't know if he should be responsible for that section though.

He has a terrible looking house.

I thought he was being whiny when reading the article because I thought he was talking about the little strip between the road and sidewalk in front of his house. But then your post made me go and look at the picture and I don't think he should be responsible. It's quite a big chunk of land and it's separated from his house by a fence. If I had never read this article I never would have guessed that it was supposed to be the responsibility of the person living in that home.

If the city doesn't want to cut it then they should replace it with something with lower maintenance. (Actually I think that society as a whole should move away from our fetish for high maintenance resource-hogging golf greens on every bit of land ever)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The videos clearly show that chemical weapons were used. That isn't in doubt. However, the US is saying that their intelligence services totally snooped in on Assad's men talking over the phone about how they did it guys.

As we know, the Americans have spies everywhere, and those spies are willing to say whatever the regime wants - as the situation in Iraq turned out. Plus remember that the US and several other Western nations originally provided Iraq with components for chemical weapons and put them up to using them on Iran so it's not like they are exactly compasses of morality when it comes to that poo poo. So really, I don't trust them. At all. Not even a little bit.

So I really think we should hold of on action against Syria until someone other than the US shows some evidence as to who used those weapons. And even then I'm not sure we should be getting involved.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 7, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I love how most of them outside are wearing masks. Real pride there

I don't know very much about white supremacy movements but they sure are wearing a lot of black.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Banning these coverings outright is a bad idea. I do feel like we need to be doing something to discourage the practice though, though I'm not sure what.

What about doing nothing? If the trend for the descendants of Muslim immigrants follows the same kinds of trends as the last few generations of Christians, they'll probably stop wearing those sorts of things on their own. I can't imagine that there are many people who are born here who wear the niqab or burqa right now anyways. If it's a problem, I think it's one that will solve itself.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not entirely sure, but it just strikes me as an affront to human dignity to have to hide your face. Especially because it's my understanding that the whole reason for it is for hiding a woman's face/figure to preserve her modesty and protect her from the wild urges of men somehow. Which has always reminded me of the sort of slut-shaming argument about how girls deserve what they got because they were wearing skirts. If you think the sight of an attractive woman is going to whip a man into some mad frenzy, then the correct course of action is not to veil the women, but to teach the loving men how to respect women and generally not be assholes.

If a woman (regardless of her faith) really wants to veil her face, then all the more power to her I suppose. But I would strongly prefer to live in a culture where nobody thought that was necessary.

And normally I laugh when men complain about misandry in society, but it still strikes me as demeaning to men when you act like they'll just rape the first female form they see that isn't covered by a sack.

But I still feel no action should be taken. If someone was raised to be so ashamed of their body you're not going to help them by suddenly banning such a practice, and their Canadian-born descendants are less likely to follow the practice in any case.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

One of the things I think was hosed up about the Adam Nobody case was that the cops allegedly beat him more after he identified himself because they thought he was lying to them. I mean even if he was lying I don't see how that comes close to justifying beating a subdued prisoner.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

During a flu outbreak last year I saw some articles on CBC, The Star, and others about how the wait times in emergency rooms were reaching 12+ hours. One of the articles was interviewing some 20 year old woman who was complaining about having been in the emergency room all day for her flu. I thought she (and everyone else doing the same thing) were huge morons because all they were doing was spreading it when they should have been resting. I mean what were they expecting? All the doctor was going to do was say, "yup you have the flu, go back home and sleep."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was under the impression that anything given to you in a hospital is paid for by the system, anything you walk out the door with a prescription for is out of your pocket or private insurance. When I had surgery in the summer I got all sorts of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, painkillers, etc. and I didn't have to pay for them, but the stuff I was sent home with cost me about 70 bucks out of pocket.

a primate posted:

As an aside, I got into a drunk argument with a friend who maintained that if you think Canada is superior to the US in any way, you aren't working to improve it. Perhaps both can occur simultaneously...

I think there's some truth to that. A lot of people think "better than" means "good" when it can just as easily mean "less bad."

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 25, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm hoping that the police services start wearing the personal cameras that I read about. Cop cams that can only be shut off by the cop(so you better have a good reason why). I feel it would be a great addition.

"Why did you turn your camera off?" "Because <any reason the cop feels like>" "Oh, okay."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

THC posted:

"Why did you leave your camera in the car?" "Because <any reason the cop feels like>" "Oh, okay."

"Where did the footage go?" "It was <deleted routinely/deleted by accident/lost>" "Oh, okay."

Just given their previous track record with regard to protecting themselves, the police cannot be trusted to police the police. Even organizations like the SIU which are staffed by former cops are suspect. The SIU only lays charges when the situation is so egregious that they can't handwave it, like the murder on the streetcar a little while ago.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Whiteycar posted:

Have the recording system be like a black box that can only be accessed when an incident report is filed. Data offloads to a server that can only be used by certain parties and only if there is an incident. If the officer is not wearing it or refuses to put it on then it is considered a disciplinary offense.

Best of both worlds.

Then we'll have a situation like the Queen's Park incident at the Toronto G20. Police took off their badges because they knew that being caught without a badge on carried a much lighter punishment than if someone was able to positively identify them beating someone. Lo and behold, they nailed about 90 officers for not wearing their name tags and docked them a day's pay. The ones who were beating people? None of them were punished because no one could identify them (or no one stepped forward to identify them) with their faces behind visors.

So all that means is that a cop can eat a day's worth of pay to do whatever they feel like.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Black Bones posted:

I love it when people who clearly care about their country (posters ITT) recoil at expressions of "patriotism". Do you vote? Do you pay attention to what goes on in society? Do you argue about how things are and how things should be?

Then you got the care real bad, my patriot friend.

I love Canada. I'm seriously glad I was born here and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It treats me very well and has all sorts of things to be proud of. For instance, as a nuclear engineering student, I'm constantly reminded that we make better reactors than the Americans.

But I think there are far better ways to care about a country than to regurgitate some dumb song upon command. I'd rather be civically responsible, politically active, vote, work in an industry that actively contributes to the wellbeing of the country, etc.. That's why I haven't sung the national anthem since elementary school and probably would have to do some serious thinking and/or have a reminder to get the lyrics correct.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought right-wingers thought that acknowledging the genocide of natives was an extreme left wing view.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guy DeBorgore posted:

If the Brazilian mining industry('s wing of government) is the biggest victim of our foreign spying operations then that's a pretty big relief. Their enormous multinational oil conglomerates are no more sympathetic than ours.

On the other hand, I hope that CSEC has other, better things to do than perform industrial espionage for our resource industry or else I think there are better things we could be spending that tax money on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Who needs a Census when you can just spy on your people?

But spying on Canadian citizens is illegal, so obviously this secret organization with no public oversight is respecting the law and the rights of our citizens. Obviously there is tons of oversight, which is why we are finding out about this from an American journalist living in Brazil.

I kind of wish we would stop playing at being a big boy nation just because we totally helped out in World War II or something. We're some podunk-rear end backwater, we don't need spies or stealth fighters or special forces and I wish we would stop doing those things because we think it makes us look cool (it isn't working)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't care who does it to who or anything, what I care about is if it's actually worth doing. Somehow I don't think paying 2000 analysts at CSEC to spy on foreign private interests on behalf of our own private interests is actually worth the cost. There's no way we even break even on that deal.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Helsing posted:

You would actually throw your vote away because of an irrational stance on nuclear power?

Well I would, because I'm actually a nuclear engineer. I also know enough about energy technology that replacing nuclear AND coal with wind and solar is impossible, and that being anti-nuclear is implicitly pro-coal as a result. And it's looking like things might be pretty bad if we continue down the route of dumping as much carbon dioxide into the air as possible because people are scared of atoms.

Edit: By throwing away my vote I mean voting Liberal, because aside from really pissing me off with that teachers' union busting they are fairly sane as far as energy

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 10, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tochiazuma posted:

" In addition, radioactive emissions that routinely leak from current facilities in Ontario have a half-life of over 5000 years. The spent fuel has over 200 cancer-causing elements. Plutonium, for example, has a half-life of 24,400 years, while other harmful substances persist millions of years in our environment with no known safety treatment nor storage place."

Quoting long half-lives as evidence of how scary an isotope is has to be my favourite 'getting it rear end-backwards' anti-nuclear scare tactic

edit:"As well, depleted uranium waste is increasingly and routinely used to coat armor-piercing bullets and missiles in “conventional” warfare, leaving a legacy of toxic metal and radioactive contamination as an on-going health and environmental threat to civilians post-conflict."

That's an interesting point how much depleted uranium do Canadian reactors create I wonder no wait I don't

Canadian nuclear power plants have multiple layers of protection to safeguard against release, and undergo multiple radioactive surveys every day to make sure that none of it is released so they just pulled the "routinely leak" out of their asses.

And yes, since we don't enrich uranium we don't have depleted uranium left over so wtf. (Also depleted uranium isn't used to "coat" things and it isn't used in missiles, it would completely defeat the purpose of using a high-density material if you just used a little dusting of it)

There ARE reasons to be anti-nuclear but I have never seen any political group use facts to support the position nor have I seen any of them offer a viable alternative that doesn't involve heavier reliance on coal, which is far worse by several metrics. And I have this feeling that the Greens live in some la-la land where you can just say "well I hate coal too and we plan on replacing both coal and nuclear with lower output, unreliable solar and wind and have it work"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 13, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ensign Expendable posted:

I am trying to envision an "armour-piercing missile" design that would be aided by the addition of depleted uranium.

I think that some people actually think that depleted uranium is used in weapons to "salt the earth" of the combat zone as a gently caress you to anyone who dares to take up arms against the United States. If you think about it from that point of view then coating all of your bombs and missiles and bullets in a radioactive heavy metal makes a lot of sense. Especially when you consider all of the other pseudoscience and conspiracy theorist crap that the Green Party has latched onto.

Of course, while it turns out that such weapons do leave lasting hazards on the battlefield, the original intent of using it was innocent enough - uranium-238 is pretty drat dense compared to many other metals and that makes it good at penetrating armour.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't understand what they think they're doing there. Do they really think they're in danger and need to camouflage themselves and approach leapfrog-style through cover with rifles out like they're in a warzone? I'm guessing not, because if they thought the situation was dangerous they wouldn't let a photographer stand out in the open taking snapshots.

So what are we seeing here? Is this a show of force or are some military wannabe nerds getting boners over taccing themselves up and playing soldier? All of the above?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

The cops literally ALWAYS say that, so I don't believe poo poo. I hope no cops get trigger happy and kill another unarmed native demonstrator. Or shoot another cop in back like in Oka.

Plus the ones in that first picture don't look terribly worried.

Edit: Remember when the Toronto Police brought rooftop snipers with sniper rifles to a police brutality protest in 2011?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 17, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

THC posted:

The dozens of heavily armed policemen were completely helpless to stop this, I am certain.

Remember the Toronto G20 where the thousands of riot cops were nowhere to be found when a few dickheads decided to torch cars that just happened to be left unattended along protest routes, and then used it as an excuse to drop the hammer on peaceful protesters later that day?

:/

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ACanofPepsi posted:

Any time the RCMP is involved and nobody gets raped it's a "good day".

Well they made a lot of arrests and the day isn't over.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Helsing posted:

This seems relevant given we were talking about outfitting cops with cameras the other day:

I think the general objection is that the more the police dress like the military, the more they seem to take on a military mindset which isn't really appropriate for law enforcement. It also seems like there are more and more situations where the police want to take an extremely aggressive default posture to delivering warrants or detaining people.

Maybe some of these changes are genuine improvements to public safety but there does seem to be a general trend toward the police acting more and more like a pseudo-military organization and that makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

I don't understand why there's always the cry of "privacy issues" when it comes to worn cameras. Cops work in public places, the camera will be recording public places for the most part, and the footage will be in the hands of official people anyways as opposed to being vomited onto Youtube automatically.

Plus you don't hear cops saying "well we can't do that, it violates peoples' privacy" when it comes to CCTV in public places.

swagger like us posted:

I don't understand so many people's weird distinctions they make with LEOs wearing, gasp, camouflauge (in a rural area?!). From the pictures and videos, it seems that the majority of the officers were lightly armed, wearing the standard uniform, and they had a few officers nearby to provide immediate emergency support if their intelligence about firearms in the crowd turned out to be correct. I think thats the right thing to be done, and in fact it should be supported. Instead of arming every single officer with an assault rifle, they had the ERT members, in prone positions or off to the side simply providing long range security. It doesn't take a "sniper" with a scope and accurized rifle to plink someone off, there are plenty of .303s and other rifles that can reach out and touch somebody. For officers only armed with pistols, this puts them immediately at a disadvantage and puts them in danger.

Also, they were allowed to take photographs because it isn't illegal to take photos of an officer? So you're complaining that this protester took a photo, yet if he was detained or arrested you would scream bloody murder about his legal right to take photos. Having a couple officers, with the proper gear, off to the side conducting covert recce, or in this picture's case, overwatch on a potentially dangerous situation is fine.

I dont understand people's obsession with looking at pictures of cops in MOLLE gear and body armour and screaming POLICE STATE. Was it so much better when cops in the 60s wore aviators, blue shirts, shiny badges and clubbed people with batons? Who cares what they are wearing? Hearing reports about what the RCMP did in this case don't lead me to believe much of anything happened outside of a usual court injunction lead warrant.

I wasn't complaining about the photo being taken, I was saying that if the cops thought there was a real danger of bullets flying they wouldn't have been posing for the photographer, they would have told the photographer to get down/not be in the danger zone/etc.. Seems like you were looking to attack me too hard.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 18, 2013

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I thought it was ridiculous that the protests had been peaceful for weeks and they still decided they needed people playing soldier and acting like it was a warzone. And in spite of outnumbering the protesters they still managed to get cars burned. How does that even happen?

ocrumsprug posted:

They are well compensated for the risk they put themselves in, and if they cannot stomach that risk I hear Canada is desperately short of carpenters. Perfectly safe occupation I understand.

I think Jesus would beg to differ.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

senae posted:

(to answer your question btw, I think a pretty easy first step is to not have cops show up at a previously peaceful protest with sniper rifles and camouflage.)

The trick with this protest, too, is that it was going on for weeks peacefully and without incident, so who knows what they were thinking when they started bringing camouflaged snipers.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ocrumsprug posted:

Is lying in Parliament an actual crime, just contempt of Parliament or nothing at all? (What a poo poo question to have to ask.)

I have a hard time seeing how he can survive that accusation, and am not looking forward to weeks of "that just is not true!"

Are you serious, since when was it against the law for a politician to lie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Wait. I'm confused. What was he supposed to say? Was he supposed to say no? Was he supposed to immediately state he hasn't been there since he was 10? gently caress he even knew a place, Dhaka. How many Canadians would know that?

I don't get Justin moments...

This seems like one of those questions that he's not going to win no matter how he answers. I'm sure if he said he didn't go the response would be that he's too sheltered and unworldly.

• Locked thread