Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Junkfist posted:

:rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk6VBnlCH3w :rock:

^^Basically what Dexter Morgan as an unlockable character in Dynasty Warriors 9 would sound like.

"I snapped"

Seriously though S7 was lightyears better than S6, especially the first 5 eps.

Although then it all went slipping on Hannah-Banana peels.

If season 7 were 7 episodes it would have been good.

The gifs and pictures really make me see what the show turned into. Remember when this show was considered dark and dramatic with hints of comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

screenwritersblues posted:

However I have to marathon the last season to play catch up. Which isn't too bad.

Aside from the fact that you have to watch it. :stat: :wal:

Paradox Personified posted:

Code came from, and how it was built. We finally get to loving see. And Deb quit her job? She's a private dick? This is going to be great. I really want that Deb spinoff. June 30th, people! Five days. :yosbutt:

For some reason I sense that (not a spoiler just commenting to the previous spoiler) that's how the ending will be set up. As a spinoff for Deb with her killing Dexter. The final scene will be Deb's voiceover

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

That kind of poo poo is what makes the show suck. It takes itself way too goddamn seriously. It needs to embrace its silliness a la True Blood. Well, needed to, I guess. The ship has sailed on that.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

Tonight @dezharrington gave 1 of the best performances I have ever seen on Dexter. Or anywhere for that matter! uhavealottolookforwardto!!!

Can't wait for that Desmond Harrington performance. :allears:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Well it's become clear now that Dexter is going to turn "human". It gets explained several times in the episode how "serial killers" show no empathy etc. Three times in the episode Dexter randomly and out of character gets angry. At Harrison, the guy who cuts him off, and Angel. It's all set up to show how Dexter has emotions now. It's looking like the final scene might involve Dexter crying. Either from being happy or someone's death.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I dunno, I thought Dexter's anger issues this episode were implied to be because Deb isn't around to be his "rock," so he's starting to lose it?

I think it's just a prelude to more emotions.

Sidenote: Just looked up the age of Aimee Garcia (Jamie) 34, one year older than Jennifer Carpenter :monocle:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

We can agree that it was abandoned/half-hearted resolved.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

generic11281 posted:

Wait...so is anybody else bothered by the fact that Harry never told Dexter, "Oh, by the way, there's this therapist that I went to named Dr. Brainlady who knows everything about you, so you might want to watch out for her"?

This is the difference between retconning and retrofitting. Retconning contradicts material, while retrofitting simply "adds" without contradicting/plotholing itself.

PostNouveau posted:

All signs point to the doctor as the real killer - she's got the brain parts, no one was in her house - but I feel like it's probably a red herring from a writing staff that got burned bad on its last BIG CLEVER TWIST.

I'm surprised they brought up the incest plotline again. They'd done such a good job of forgetting about it.

Overall, pretty good episode. Mediocre direction from Michael C Hall, but it's his first time out. As long as they can stay focused on Deb, Dexter and the doctor, this season should be alright. But I've got a sinking feeling that instead we're in for an assload of Quinn trying to get his poo poo together and get over Deb.

The doctor being the killer seems to be almost too obvious. Team Queb!

PT6A posted:

I've got a theory that Dexter was actually her experiment to see if she could actually "create" a psychopath.

I could definitely see that happening.

I hate to remind people, but it hasn't been mentioned in the last few pages but (spoiler/speculation) Hannah is returning, so she's probably the killer :geno:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

Thinking about it, I wish Masuka had the relationship with the Ukranian stripper. It would have been more entertaining and would have had equal amounts of plot impact as Quinn. Quinn is a not-glorified extra.

His character died with Liddy- at least the logical aspect of him. He was hot on Dexter's trail and now every episode since he became :downs:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

mistermojo posted:

Season 1 had by far the best villain, the best finale, and the coolest scenes like all of the bloodless body parts and the hotel room filled with blood

I think Season 1 had the best villain but Trinity Killer was a better adversary if that makes any sense.

With Dexter's brother I didn't think he was much of a challenge, but I really the connection and respect Dexter had for Trinity- balancing family and all.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Paradox Personified posted:

So, they do it, right? Deb and Dex finally wrap up a plotline? :gonk:
In seriousness, gently caress, it's so hard to not spoil myself. Will we be pissed off, or too filled with ennui to be pissed off? Oh god it's out there and I have to knooooow.

Was there a time when Dexter threads were about speculation? This year seems to have finally succumbed to "Ok, let's not talk about it and get it over with"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Finally caught up on the last two episodes

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

But seriously, this season's so so bad. I smiled at the masuka daughter part and I got mildly interested at the end until that loving stupidest-poo poo-I've-ever-seen-on-TV jump into the lake. Everybody knew that Debster wasn't going to die, but they could've made it the slightest bit interesting if they'd decided the fishing dude should drown while trying to save the two of them. But no. Another "hour" of my precious time sacrificed on the altar of Dexter.

scary ghost dog posted:

This show is so lazy. It's not even stupid or boring anymore, it's just "hey how does Deb cool off after Dexter drugs her and kidnaps her from the police station? eehhh whatever it just happens"

Have to agree with both of these, it's all become very predictable and boring.

SaltLick posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable Hannah/Cassie/Deb showdown over Dexter's hot bod.

This could redeem the season.

HenessyHero posted:

Should not have gotten into Hannibal right before the new season of Dexter started. In comparison, this show feels like a lovely B-grade movie that doesn't know that's what it is.

Like, more so than usual.

Hedrigall posted:

I just discovered Hannibal, so gently caress this show

Can that be the new thread title?

Also, the episode where Deb was knocked out/dragged out of the station by Dexter- the old Quinn would never have been so :downs: I like how this season isn't going with a 'big bad' and is instead deciding to meander it's plot. Who am I kidding? The big bad is Vogel and it will end with Dexter and Deb tying her to a table embracing each other saying "We are in love- I have feelings! You will never teach your code again." Then he kills her. End scene.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

The last episode made me think of a wasted opportunity/season. There should have been a season with a rival serial killer who kills others for good similar to Dex.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

escape artist posted:

Complaining about product placement in this show... I don't know. Seems like low-hanging fruit, even for this thread, even for this show.

I dunno, that Pepsi was pretty blatant.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

I thought the season got pushed to 16eps?

Yeah, but I think they realized they didn't have enough material to stretch it that far.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

Just watched the episode, Deb trying to finish them off only to save Dexter felt so right. Gotta stay true to the show. Is Hannah returning for the final season? I don't really want to see her on screen again, but it would be nice to have DexterDeb kill her for good.

She is coming back apparently

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Last week I was talking about Dexter with a few friends of mine. Here are the opinions that I gathered from them.
Season 4 was terrible

Please tell me their reasoning for this.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

13/f/cali posted:

Speaking of CW shows, I ended up watching Arrow because of DVR'ing it for a friend who doesn't have cable. I'm not going to spoil anything but certain elements of the plot and characters made me think "This show is Dexter. Except it doesn't pretend it isn't a superhero show. And it is so much better for it."

I generally don't get into superhero stuff but the first season of Arrow left me wanting more. It can take a bit of patience but since we sometimes recommend shows in here to get the bad taste of Dexter out of our mouths, that one is at least decent.

Also all the Breaking Bad discussion in this thread made me finally start watching it. There are a lot of moments where I think "this show goes to great lengths to avoid doing a lot of the stuff that makes Dexter crap." and BB benefits a lot from that.

Less than 24 hours to the new episode, I'm glad for this thread's jokes and occasional recommendations of better shows.

Dexter took six seasons to do what Breaking Bad did in two. Hannibal ruined Dexter for me too. I forgot how disturbing serial killer shows could be.

Bigass Moth ... I don't know what to say.

The AVClub review gives the latest episode a bit too much credit http://www.avclub.com/articles/dress-code,101015/, but this quote is really what it comes down to:

quote:

So that means there’s another killer out there. Maybe the Brain Surgeon? Maybe Vogel? Maybe Debra? Maybe... Harrison? Who knows, but man alive, it’s really too bad that with five episodes left, one of Dexter’s biggest dangling questions is who murdered a character whose last name I don’t know. There’s such a hollowness to the story that at this point, I can’t even totally nail down what the protagonist is supposed to want other than to maintain the status quo at all costs.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Dead Snoopy posted:

The head-foot switcher would have made a better final season

http://youtu.be/WM5_pac-4Is

What's a great about this is that this was posted before the finale of Deb discovering Dexter aired.

wordsauce posted:

It got bad towards the middle and then doubled-down on awfulness each season until it became unwatchable. I couldn't finish the last season. Also like Dexter, the season finales usually had some kind of hook to reel you back in.

You owe it to yourself to watch the last two episodes.

While Dexter is still bad this season- this read is much more active than Weeds' last year.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

This is leading me to believe that Daughter Boobs is actually the brain surgeon. That's the real reason she took the intern job, so she could get closer to the case.

This makes some sense. Although being Masuka's daughter would be a bit too much of a coincidence. I would also like it if Quinn turned out to the be the killer.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just got around to this episode. This is really, really bad. Some of the Zach stuff was actually pretty good, and at least I wasn't plain old bored by it like almost every other episode this season. But it's still bad.

Here's the really terrible part for me. This is the final season, and it doesn't feel like it AT ALL. This is like a normal season for Dexter, and it is amazing too me that at this point nothing has happened that would even point to this as being an ending for this show.

The problem (as stated before) is Dexter (and Debra's) lack of motivation for anything. Are they working towards a goal? If so, what is that goal? Technically speaking Masuka has had a more clear cut arc than Dexter this season. If anything, Dexter should have been learning NOT to kill anymore and build off that. And instead we're getting... whatever this is

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm currently watching Breaking Bad and Justified.

gently caress this show forever.

You should watch Hannibal to get taste out for good.

escape artist posted:

She's in cahoots with him though!

Why would the brain surgeon just not outright kill her? Why is he delivering stuff to her doorstep? It seems like an excuse to get at Dexter, for whatever reason. I don't know. I don't know why I'm trying to make sense of this. The finale can't come soon enough.

See thread title

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Vogel is the brain surgeon, she also isn't the brain surgeon, because ever since the "incident" she mentioned alluded to in the last episode, she has had a split personality that she herself is unaware of.

gently caress, that might be it. Would the show stoop so low to introduce another villain with split personalities?

Answer: Obviously

gently caress this show. gently caress everything. I don't care. But I'm going to keep watching. :negative:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

OldPueblo posted:

Some of you forget how terrible television is outside of these at least semi-barely-half decent shows. Out there beyond the fence is reality TV and one million crime show copies. I'll ride shows like Dexter into the ground before I venture beyond the wall.

Crime shows are like instant noodles. You know what you're getting before you even open the package.

Reality shows are like all you can eat buffets. Most of the concepts are the same but there are some good ones out there if you like hard enough.

Dexter is dog food with a label saying, "we won best burger 3 years ago"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I think there's about 5 or 6 bad guys over the course of the show's 13 episodes, and there's a central narrative that stems from the fallout of the first bad guy.

The show at point seems very procedural, but there's a nice build up to the whole season where everything ties together by the end.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

If nothing else Yvonne is nice to look at.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

HyperPuma posted:

I just finished a two day binge of Hannibal, thanks to all the recommendations in this thread. It was quite enjoyable, though I wonder if it will be able to stay interesting in further seasons. Hopefully the writers have ideas of where to go and how to keep it from going stale. I think they could probably learn from the mistakes of dexter. (semi-spoilers for hannibal)Giving the main character too much plot armor would eventually ruin it just like it did for this show. I would definitely say for anyone who likes dexter to watch it though. It has a bit of the case of the week stuff but the season arc is really well done and not neglected like it is on so many procedurals.

The creator (Fuller) is on record saying he has a 7 year plan for Hannibal.

Seasons 1-3 - Prequel to Red Dragon
Season 4 - Red Dragon
Season 5 - Silence of the Lambs
Season 6 - "Hannibal"
Season 7 - Original conclusion for all characters

Also, despite being a network show, he's worked out a deal to only have 13 episode seasons.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is probably going to go down as one of the worst final season in history. I've seen a lot of TV. I've seen a lot of bad TV and I genuinely can't think of anything this bad.

I dunno- Entourage and Weeds are up there. But this IS FULL HOUR episodes. gently caress.

kater posted:

I wonder how much Michael C. Hall is to blame for this. Doesn't he have some degree of control over the story? Dexter is no longer anything close to the creepy dork obsessed with blood with anger problems. He's a buff rear end dude banging super models and being a superhero solving everyone's problems. Harry isn't a symptom of a deteriorated mind, he's a cool magic friend Dex goes fishing with. He's got a perfectly obedient son, a sister that worships him, friends that never cause problems, and the most carefree job ever with an infinite bank account.

Not to get all :tinfoil: but I also kind of got the feeling that maybe he was meddling with poo poo during season 6, when the season immediately after breaking up with Jennifer Carpenter, Deb spent the entire season just eating complete poo poo from him. Suddenly every scene she was fawning over him and fantasizing about him and all that ridiculous crap.

This is truth. ALL tension was lost after Season 4.

Remember when we thought the show was building to a romance between Dex/Deb? I think that would have been better.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Oh, loving hell. I just realised that the writers must think they're REALLY smart. "Oh boy, spiritual son vs literal son! They're like brothers! A cunning Brian allusion bringing this poo poo full circle! I bet the audience will cream their pants!! :chord:"

Well done guys :thumbsup:

Well, gently caress.

The thread title needs to be changed now. It's not so much questioning the premise anymore, but questioning how lazy the show has become.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Thinking about it... Dexter really set off the vampire phenomenon along with Twilight. The show is about about a guy who goes at night and has a thirst to kill. The only difference between a vampire and Dexter is Dexter doesn't drink the blood.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

It's true but still :saddowns: - I haven't seen the newest Breaking Bad yet

While excerpts were posted, this was the best part of the AV Club review:

quote:

At this point, I’m not sure this season is vastly better than season six. Hell, at least then the writers could use the excuse that they were building the show for maximum longevity. Now? What’s the reason for it to be so awful? In The Writers’ Room, the team joked about dumb ideas they’d had over the years, one of which was to reveal that somehow Harry was still alive. Boy, that would have been mighty stupid, they said. Bad news, guys. This isn’t much better.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

deafmute posted:

This probably counts as spoilers so don't click if you want to avoid those. Showtime put up a few scenes from the(1) next episode(2). Remember don't click those if you don't want to see things from the next episode!

"See Astor and Cody one last time"

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Can it be said that Harrison's affection for Hannah just feels incredibly incredibly forced? Like it's inexplicable. If anything he should love Jamie- who's "just the babysitter". I actually think Lumen was a better fit for Dexter. At least she never tried to poison Deb.

gently caress this show is bad.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 27, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Did Dexter ever actually stop being Astor and Cody's legal guardian? How does that even work?

I think the Grandmother took them in.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

If Dexter had just kept it's original promise to the audience that eventually everyone would find out I think we would be complaining less. I NEVER want to hear bs from the writers when they say they didn't have enough time to write a proper ending. gently caress you, writers. You had more than two years to come up with something decent and came up incredibly short. The irony of this season is that we're supposed to be on board with the fact that Dexter is human now, and Vogel's accusations are wrong. Thinking about it... she's right. Dexter has ZERO emotion. He's stopped caring since season 4. Maybe Rita's death broke him. He is more motivated about keeping his secret more than anything. Deb finding out has had little effect on him. Same goes for Laguerta's death. His relationship with Hannah is inexplicable. His blissful ignorance of Harrison is laughable. Dexter is a robot.

Basically what I'm getting at is Dexter is less sympathetic than Walter White.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Durzel posted:

Having just caught up with Breaking Bad (this thread introduced me to it, thanks) it is clear as day to me now. Whereas BB has ambition and an earnest desire to tell a nuanced story where the audience is rewarded for their observation, the folks behind Dexter just want to read us a bedtime tale. There's no layers, no character development or messages to take away, it's just a live action cartoon.

Now you have to catch up on Hannibal to show you what a real show about a serial killer looks like.

I just caught up on the newest episode on Dexter- and even though it was spoiled in the thread, it didn't take away my enjoyment. There were 3 scenes in the The whole episode that were was better than the entirety of Dexter's run.

Dexter has gotten so bad it has retroactively ruined everything that came before it.

CaptainHollywood fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 29, 2013

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

The Leck posted:

I'm 100% with you - I made it through 3 episodes and saw pretty much nothing that would make me want to keep going. I may give it one or two more, since everyone on here is so into it, but eh...

The early episodes scared me a bit off too, but I assure you there is a plan in place for where the season (and series) is going. The show does everything right that Dexter does wrong.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

Oh, satanfucking bastardhitlers - the Dexter book has been put back a week. Tell me there's not another episode this weekend, please.

No episode this weekend.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

You're lying, aren't you?

Look under the "ON DEMAND" column

http://www.sho.com/sho/dexter/season#/index

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

Laguerta died. Jamie looked cute, all I can really remember.

There was the Jigsaw killer who came at Dexter in a bull mascot uniform I think.

Also that gif of Dexter laughing manically- which I never tire of.

Ray Stevenson being a badass- then dying, then nothing happened.

Oh yeah and Hannah.

I'm trying to remember what the main plot was though. Like... what was the climax of the season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

overtone posted:

Did that seem as lovely and lazy at the time as it does now?

He had more chemistry with Prado when he found out.

• Locked thread