Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Does anyone else here refer to Head Harry as Ghost Dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure he's lying and he's the one who put the razor on Zach's car to frame him (why?).

So his suspicions would be confirmed and he'd look good.

Bold prediction: Quinn is the Brain Surgeon. His motivation is that he's still pining after Deb and knows she has a soft spot for serial killers. Also he used to be Dr. Brainlady's patient or son or something.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I think we're all forgetting Sargent Miller aka chekov's brainsurgeon :smug:

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
If you ever want to see a room full of people with the collective IQ of Michael C. Hall, Dexter was featured on Sundance's "The Writers Room," and it is very eye-opening as to the problems of the show. Scott Buck has phenomenally terrible ideas.

It's available for $1.99 on Youtube.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So his suspicions would be confirmed and he'd look good.

Bold prediction: Quinn is the Brain Surgeon. His motivation is that he's still pining after Deb and knows she has a soft spot for serial killers. Also he used to be Dr. Brainlady's patient or son or something.

I was honestly thinking Quinn was the killer last episode.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Minarch posted:

I think we're all forgetting Sargent Miller aka chekov's brainsurgeon :smug:
I'm hoping it's Nice Guy Boss.
He kills Dexter and gets super mad when Debra still won't go out with him.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

If you ever want to see a room full of people with the collective IQ of Michael C. Hall, Dexter was featured on Sundance's "The Writers Room," and it is very eye-opening as to the problems of the show. Scott Buck has phenomenally terrible ideas.

It's available for $1.99 on Youtube.

:confused: But I watch those bad ideas every Sunday and I already pay for that with my cable subscription. Why would I give them another $2 to see the same thing?

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Also, just had a thought in the last episode. When was the last time Miami Metro even took a killer into custody? Because......yeah....I can't remember.

MetalFace
Jul 27, 2005
Join Us In Creating Excellence

LLJKSiLk posted:

Dexter doesn't even bother dismembering bodies anymore. The last 3 or 4 he's just carried out whole to dump in the ocean. Apparently nobody gives a poo poo so he's stopped all effort.

See? Why stop the show now, when there's so much more room for character development.

Season 10 - Dexter stops bagging the bodies
Season 12 - Dexter just leaves the bodies on shore so the tide can take them
Season 15 - stacks of dead bodies in Harrison's bedroom (Harrison of course has been adopted by Jaime at this point) Batista notices a horrendous smell whenever he visits Dexter but doesn't look into it any further

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I thought something was starting to come together when they had the evil psychopath family dinner right up against scenes from the Batista household (+ Harrison), like they were setting up some kind of good vs evil family showdown. The bit where they all huddled around the laptop looking for clues was just loving hilarious for some reason though, and since Zach died at the end I'm pretty sure I was just grasping at straws and this whole season is actually a stream of consciousness exercise.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

MetalFace posted:

See? Why stop the show now, when there's so much more room for character development.

Season 15 - stacks of dead bodies in Harrison's bedroom (Harrison of course has been adopted by Jaime at this point) Batista notices a horrendous smell whenever he visits Dexter but doesn't look into it any further

Season 16: A corpse dressed as Dexter attached to gears and servos, wheels into work at 9:02 and asks to leave early every day at around 11 with the same pre-recorded voice.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:confused: But I watch those bad ideas every Sunday and I already pay for that with my cable subscription. Why would I give them another $2 to see the same thing?

Its on Sundance On Demand if you have that option. It's not very good and they just flaunt that they have a "good" show on their hands.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

MetalFace posted:

This is actually not that far from how far things got with Jeffrey Dahmer before he finally got caught. Dude had been murdering and cannibalizing in his little Milwaukee apartment for years, even had the cops RETURN one of his drugged and naked teen victims to him at his place who'd managed to escape, and his apartment apparently reeked like the abattoir it had become for quite some time before the guy was caught.

"Dexter" has distinctly lacked the key ingredient of Dexter putting murdering fuckers on his kill table for some time now.

I think the John Lithgow season was the last one I could unequivocally say "wow this show is entertaining".

I felt like ever since Dexter got married and had a kid the show has been in decline as all that stuff put a damper on his creeper activities and made the logistics of the story increasingly implausible even beyond the crazy premise of the show. Lithgow at least brought things back to a good level by being awesome and a great Big Bad. Even Dexter being Boring Suburban Dad could at least have some campy fun possibilities - Homeowner Association Nazi busts Dexter's balls about the condition of his lawn while Dexter smiles, nods and daydreams about HOA Nazi being on his kill table while Dexter sticks a lawn trimmer through his chest etc.

The show just lost its way. If you've ever eaten at a great restaurant that subsequently lost its original chef and gotten some lame-o horrible scrubs in their place, it's like the feeling when you eat that first awful or mediocre meal at the place you used to love.

I grew up with the Simpsons and it's still possibly my favorite show ever despite everything, but the growing mediocrity caused me to stop watching it for years. Now looking at an episode feels like "what the gently caress is this, these characters are named Homer, Marge, Bart and Lisa but they sure as poo poo aren't the SIMPSONS. Who are these people?" *Hugs collection of Season 1-7 DVDs* It's as if some obvious imposter donned crude Simpson costumes and were trying to pass (that actually happened in some episode if I recall).

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Zwabu posted:

*Hugs collection of Season 1-7 DVDs*

That's a funny way of writing "season 3-10".

edit: oh god I was wrong, I mean season 3-8 :gonk:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 21, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I dare you guys to rewatch the pilot after watching any season 8 episode.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Season 8 has been terrific; much better than Season 6. Still doesn't rank up with S1-S4, but it's still great TV.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Naw, this season is so bad you can't even troll people by pretending to like it.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Best part of the episode

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Gorilla Salad posted:

The thing is that Deb's boss, Elway, isn't a nice guy, he's a "nice guy".

Always being there to lend a hand. Overlooking her bizarre manner of solving cases. Always willing to help out. Giving her healthy drinks when she was down. None of that was because he was a great guy who stands behind his staff. He only did it because he wanted to gently caress her.

And when it looked like Deb not only had no intention of having sex with him, but was actually upset at the idea, he finally showed his true face and I would say it was the ugliest thing I've ever seen on this show. And I saw John Lithgow's arse in a shower!

Serial killers like you see in Dexter don't really exist, but "nice guys" are everywhere.

That one scene where Elway screws his face up into a hateful ball and curses out Deb for not throwing herself on his dick may well be the only time in the last four seasons this show has managed to provoke a genuine and deep reaction from me.

Pity it was disgust.

Even more pitiful is that I'm increasingly certain that's not the emotion the writers were aiming for.

From like 15 pages ago but...

I interpreted this scene the same way. At first I thought she was going to go after him with a sexual harassment claim or something along those lines but nope, instead we get "Sorry I didn't cave in to your sexual harassment, I'll try to not be such a bitch about being harassed and I'll be thankful for the harassment. I'll even smile when you do it from now on."

This show disgusts me.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
As an aside I just looked up Weeds session summaries on the wiki and I could barely make sense of them even when they were clearly laid out in chronological order. I thought I couldn't imagine a show with a worse plot than Dexter but apparently that's it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Dead Snoopy posted:

The head-foot switcher would have made a better final season

http://youtu.be/WM5_pac-4Is

What's a great about this is that this was posted before the finale of Deb discovering Dexter aired.

wordsauce posted:

It got bad towards the middle and then doubled-down on awfulness each season until it became unwatchable. I couldn't finish the last season. Also like Dexter, the season finales usually had some kind of hook to reel you back in.

You owe it to yourself to watch the last two episodes.

While Dexter is still bad this season- this read is much more active than Weeds' last year.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

frozenpeas posted:

As an aside I just looked up Weeds session summaries on the wiki and I could barely make sense of them even when they were clearly laid out in chronological order. I thought I couldn't imagine a show with a worse plot than Dexter but apparently that's it.

Yes Weeds was a horrible show.. that I watched all of. I don't recommend doing this.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

frozenpeas posted:

In its early seasons it was occasionally great, though plot had little to do with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sHKIcddo_M

I'm background watching the latest episode. I've never seen an on-screen couple with as little chemistry as Hannah and Dexter. Honestly I find it more awkward to watch than what I imagine Dexter + Debra would be. They are having sex now and it is terrible. Oh yay Zach's dead. That was kinda surprising, maybe it'll end on an exciting note :ohdear: - queue Dexter monologue telling us about how some things in life are unexpected.

:suicide:

At least there was commercial for Homeland afterwards.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Pretty sure he's lying and he's the one who put the razor on Zach's car to frame him (why?).

Because he's the brain surgeon killer thing guy.

Going out with a female near Dexter, going into his place, it's ITK all over again.

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 21, 2013

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
That thought occurred to me, but then why did he try to frame zach just so he could kill him a few days later? That's is what makes me think the person framing zach and the brain surgeon can't possibly be the same person, but I guess that may be giving the writers way too much credit.

e; Also why would he say he never saw zach if the goal was to frame him? :psyduck: I guess he's just too diabolical for me to understand. I'm really scared he will end up being some sort of bad guy anyways though.

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 21, 2013

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

HyperPuma posted:

That thought occurred to me, but then why did he try to frame zach just so he could kill him a few days later? That's is what makes me think the person framing zach and the brain surgeon can't possibly be the same person, but I guess that may be giving the writers way too much credit.

e; Also why would he say he never saw zach if the goal was to frame him? :psyduck: I guess he's just too diabolical for me to understand. I'm really scared he will end up being some sort of bad guy anyways though.

Perhaps it was his original plan to frame Zach but then once Dexter made the evidence go away, he/she just killed Zach instead.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
The only thing he should know about the investigation is that quinn was asking him about zach, so I'm not sure why he would think zach was cleared.

Wait, wasn't masuka's daughter in the room when dex said that there was no blood? Maybe diabolical ryan gosling has himself another girlfriend he's pumping for information. See guys, it's all coming together. And you all thought these new characters were completely pointless! :shepicide:

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

He planted evidence hoping Dexter would kill him, I guess. Dexter didn't, so he said gently caress it and killed him himself. The only apparent reason is that he's a Bad Guy. Yo, you know that new friend of yours? I cut half his head off. Sup.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

HyperPuma posted:

The only thing he should know about the investigation is that quinn was asking him about zach, so I'm not sure why he would think zach was cleared.

Wait, wasn't masuka's daughter in the room when dex said that there was no blood? Maybe diabolical ryan gosling has himself another girlfriend he's pumping for information. See guys, it's all coming together. And you all thought these new characters were completely pointless! :shepicide:

This is leading me to believe that Daughter Boobs is actually the brain surgeon. That's the real reason she took the intern job, so she could get closer to the case.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Tofu Injection posted:

This is leading me to believe that Daughter Boobs is actually the brain surgeon. That's the real reason she took the intern job, so she could get closer to the case.

This makes some sense. Although being Masuka's daughter would be a bit too much of a coincidence. I would also like it if Quinn turned out to the be the killer.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

MetalFace posted:

My pet annoyance from e08 is Jaime 'I'm going but don't worry I'm taking Harrison so you're conveniently freed up to pursue your interest in stamp collecting or w.e'

Best nanny ever

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Negligent posted:

My pet annoyance from e08 is Jaime 'I'm going but don't worry I'm taking Harrison so you're conveniently freed up to pursue your interest in stamp collecting or w.e'

Best nanny ever
In any other show Harrison would've been killed off to push Dexter to the brink or something, but why take risks with your characters - it's not like it's the last season or anything.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Bleh Maestro posted:

Also, just had a thought in the last episode. When was the last time Miami Metro even took a killer into custody? Because......yeah....I can't remember.

The guy who ran away from a murder scene in blood soaked socks and was picked up a few blocks away, a couple of episodes ago. This is who they are capable of catching.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Durzel posted:

In any other show Harrison would've been killed off to push Dexter to the brink or something, but why take risks with your characters - it's not like it's the last season or anything.

Thing is they did just that with Rita and it sure didn't last long.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

CaptainHollywood posted:

This makes some sense. Although being Masuka's daughter would be a bit too much of a coincidence. I would also like it if Quinn turned out to the be the killer.

I stopped watching after season 5. Did Quinn ever do anything as a character. The actor who played Quinn showed up in one episode of Justified and left a bigger impression than how many ever seasons I saw him in.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What does someone in Dexter's profession as a spatter analyst actually make in a year?

Do those people normally get flex time so they can leave 3 minutes after showing up at work, and then "work" all night? It sounds pretty sweet.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bigass Moth posted:

What does someone in Dexter's profession as a spatter analyst actually make in a year?

Not enough to pay for a full-time nanny and a new car every year.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still really amused that they have stuck with the blood spatter analyst title because every time he goes to a scene it seems like he does half the MEs job. They should just give Dexter a promotion or at least a new job title.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Dexter is a blood spatter analyst in much the same way that Tintin is a newspaper reporter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
For a serial drama, Dexter really takes a sitcom approach to the character's lives. People just come and go from their jobs whenever convenient, money is never an issue, interpersonal relationships are static, and time has no meaning. How long were Hannah and Deb in that standoff, anyways? Hannah walked into the hotel right when Dexter and Zach left, and she was still squaring off with Deb when Dexter and Zach returned. Unless Dexter was able to dump that body in 15 minutes, it seems like Hannah and Deb just kind of stood there staring at each other, just waiting for the rest of the story to catch up with them.

• Locked thread