Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

SaltLick posted:

:laffo: There is just something hilarious about Deb doing a line of coke with Pitbull playing in the background.

Also who is that actor? He looks really familiar.

I was rendered unable to take anything in that trailer seriously because of Pitbull. They seriously couldn't pick anything else to play?

Also: I felt right at home when an "interesting conversation" was interrupted by a cell phone ringing.

Tom Toddlesworth fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

escape artist posted:

Yeah, that's what really soured me on the season. I very much enjoyed the unceremonious murder of Louis, but Ray Stevenson? Really? Right after they became murder buddies, too.

Though I did like the way he insisted on being buried at sea at the exact spot where his lover was buried, even if it might've been a little corny. It made me :3:

In retrospect the murder of Louis was the coolest thing to happen last season

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I think he was trying be all crazy and show Dexter he was a bad guy, then got murdered by Ivan and Ivan didn't even care.

He was letting the fuel run out of Dexter's boat when Ivan got there and murdered him because he thought Louis was Dexter lmao

With the hand I still don't know where that was going.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

I really enjoyed this ep. There were a few really dumb but also hilarious moments, like fuckingpassword and PITBULL but the story went somewhere & with good acting. I actually like the neuro lady and her story is moving faster than I expected. If the rest of the season is this good I wi-pfffffaahahahahh

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

I did also like how the brain lady teased out who Dexter really is in like 30 minutes of being around him while the rest of Miami metro has no idea after like 15 years

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

limeincoke posted:

Deb couldn't just turn the guy into the state because she then wouldn't get the finder's fee for the jewels.

My reading is that it's entirely possible that Deb was not going to turn the jewels into the police. This is mostly based on her conversation with Elway earlier in the ep.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

So Dexter now knows that at least 3 of vogel's patients are serial killers and he doesn't bat a loving eye?

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Grem posted:

Hey how come that door goes outside but they always take the elevator to get to the office?

You know, ever since the first Dexter/Deb scene in the alley last season, I've had this vague sense of "where the gently caress are they exactly?" whenever they've gone out there to have special Debster conversations and now you've identified why.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Want to know why I'm still watching a show that's terrible? For one, it's the last season and I made a bargain with satan 8 months ago that I'd watch season 8 if and only if it were the last one, and secondly,

Das Boo posted:

I wish I had actual animation software.

Junkfist posted:

Why did I make this?

What does it mean?

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

But seriously, this season's so so bad. I smiled at the masuka daughter part and I got mildly interested at the end until that loving stupidest-poo poo-I've-ever-seen-on-TV jump into the lake. Everybody knew that Debster wasn't going to die, but they could've made it the slightest bit interesting if they'd decided the fishing dude should drown while trying to save the two of them. But no. Another "hour" of my precious time sacrificed on the altar of Dexter.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

They have all the freedom in the world, it being the last season, to make a story that's at least a little compelling but they squander opportunities like it's their kryptonite. Who would have ever believed a "Deb attempts suicide" plotline would have been this loving boring

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

mrmcd posted:

My girlfriend got me to watch this show with her just so we could read this thread together.

I'm still holding out on True Blood though, because I can't stand hearing Anna Paquin's awful fake hick accent, and laughing at stupid people isn't as much fun when they do it on purpose.

time to sever

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Ghost Harry will witness incest and kill himself again, becoming a ghost dad to ghost dad.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Please don't make me abandon the thread by talking about spoilers

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Webbeh posted:

:siren: SPOILER THREAD HAS BEEN MADE. :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562283

Move all the spoiler-related talk here, please. We don't need any more butthurt-goon posts.

Thanks, my butt is feeling better already.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

So is that motorpool car they crashed just at the bottom of the river? I guess this isn't a problem for Miami Metro? Detectives are just regularly entering them in demolition derbies or burning them in fields or running private chop shops. No need for anyone in this episode to ask what the gently caress happened.

Deb used the force to lift it out of the river so she could get to Bespin in time.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Paradox Personified posted:

For anyone caring, the song that played in Vogel's scene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWl6V9hXrHA

The moment this song started, I knew some sort of Violence was about to happen to Vogel. It's a goddamn cliche nowadays to have this song the background music to some sort of brutal violence.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

'Here's how we're gonna give the show that sick Edge we've always delivered on. We're gonna make "Make your own Kind of Music" the background music to a woman being attacked!!' - TV producer, circa 2000

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Steve112sms posted:

Where else has it been used like that? I felt like I just saw it in something, but couldn't remember what it was. All I could remember it from was the introduction to Desmond on Lost, which was always one of my favorite scenes.

I guess that I saw it on Lost, and I don't remember where else. It just felt like they were shouting at us "Vogel's going to be attacked during this song" when she turned it on.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

CODChimera posted:

Pretty much. I thought I'd at least be laughing at this poo poo.

Well it's already been covered in this thread but why not have another go. I almost thought during this latest ep, you know, this aint THAT bad. And a way, it's hard to find specifically what makes this season bad. Basically all anybody can say about it is it's just loving boring. It's hard to point at a specific scene or character and go "okay here's Dexter's Rob Schneider, he is making the show objectively worse." Hell, I even quite like Elway. It's just like the writers looked at Quinn's plot that went nowhere last season and decided "why don't we fill the first 10 episodes with more of THAT poo poo." Whether it's Quinn/Jamie fighting over Deb, the sergeant promotion, Masuka's daughter, Deb's PTSD, Matthews protecting rich creepy kid, and so on and so on we have no idea what plot to freaking care about because it's a certainty that most if not all are just heading to a dead end. I'm pretty sure they're going to make Vogel and Hannah and Deb all part of the final arc of the series but holy poo poo how can anybody enjoy the pile of garbage that's been the first half of this season.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

the spoilers were right, which means the entertaining bad will happen. Just be patient.

Oh thank god. There's no way I'm gonna spoil myself the rest of this season (I never even watch a preview), but it's nice to know some stupid poo poo is gonna go down

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

“We feel that we’ve pulled off what we wanted, and that is what we needed to feel.”

Oh my god guys, we actually pulled it off. AAAHAHAHAHAH can you believe these suckers???

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

I can't wait to watch Breaking Bad and Dexter back-to-back this weekend. It's like those exercises in high school english class where they handed out one sample A+ essay and one sample C- essay.

Yeah the only thing to decide is which order to watch them in. Whether to eat the turd first, or to save it for after the delicious meal.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

I've been thinking lately about the end that they claim to have decided on years ago. I've just been assuming the whole time that it's going to be Dexter getting caught or at least figured out by everyone, but that seems pretty impossible in the context of the bid for the most boring season of television ever made.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Holy poo poo did Vogel get stupid. Her son sent her Zack's brain in a jar but when Dexter shows her a video of him dying off camera all of a sudden she can't believe what a monster not-ryan-gossling is? What did she think happened?? It's honestly like she's gotten hit in the head really hard once after each episode and now can barely process sounds and colors. "Oh I'll just patch things up with the son I didn't care about my whole life but now do for some reason. Wait he STILL wants to kill people??" I actually liked the first episode of the season because she seemed like a really cunning character, but now....good god Dexter please please end.

Also, I've discovered that if I play the episode at 2x normal speed I can still understand everything everyone's saying but don't have waste all 48 minutes of this "hour long" show. Isn't technology amazing?

e: also lmao at ghost harry's line about how Dexter's "never had anything to lose before." I mean, is it even worth critiquing at this point?

Tom Toddlesworth fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 9, 2013

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Was there ever any real explanation given as to why Dexter is so ~in love~ with blonde bitch #17? I mean Jesus Christ they went as far as to say that his love for her is basically "curing" him of the desire to kill this episode, but it seems like there's been no justification for him to feel so close to her MUCH LESS have his love for her displace his impulse to kill. I seem to recall some voiceovers talking about how she "understands him" or w/e but loving WHY. I know that people complain about Lila from season 2 but at least her connection to Dexter was fleshed out with reasons beyond "she has a nice rear end." Also: did I miss something or did the idea that Dexter might not want to kill people anymore just come way the gently caress out of left field this ep?

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have to try to itemise this poo poo for my own sanity. From the beginning:

- Dex rushes to Deb's house and they bond over their shared grief of a woman nobody actually cared about. "I know how much she meant to you." Since loving when?

- Hannah shows Dex their travel plans and he says, "And no-one can trace us". Why would anyone be trying, Dexter? You've handed in notice and told the Captain of Miami Homicide you're going there already. Everyone thinks you're a normal guy, so why even bother trying to hide your tracks? I think this must be a legacy line from a version of the script when things were actually happening, like plot progression and tension.

- Who's this real estate lady we're supposed to know? Oh poo poo, it's Miguel Prado's wife! Wow, I care so much because ummm, gimme a second here.

- Dex tries to sell his boat. "I kinda hoped it'd have a bigger beer cooler" :haw: RIVETING TELEVISION!

- Masuka's "I could go with some hookers and some blow right about now". A horrible lovable one dimensional stereotype is the only interesting person left on this show.

- "Hello Dexter Morgan" was one of the most chilling lines in the show's history. Walmart home brand Ryan Gosling is not John Lithgow.

- DNA swab almost sorta gave us a bit of a decent plot moment there, linking psycho son to Ikea Monkey. Credit where it's due. I wonder how long until they gently caress it up?

- An abandoned building in Miami with the power still on and it's not filled with homeless people and drug addicts? Also swinging bag. Also, wheelchair outlined against dusty rays of ghostly light! Where's my shot in front of a slowly rotating ventilation fan?

- Those glass cabinets in the kill room. The ones with interior lights. Yeah, I want those in my bathroom. First time I've been interested in what was on the screen all night.

- Oh, hey look, it's the Deputy Marshall hunting Hannah. Remember him? Boy, you could cut the tension with a knife. He's hot on Hannah's heels! Sure is lucky he didn't go to Deb's house again and look in any of those open windows or anything. Or that the hospital emergency room didn't have security cameras.

- Oh, they're actually showing Ikea Monkey's funeral. I was wrong - there are actually two interesting characters left on this show:

- Yet another 20 seconds of Masuka Dad and his wacky daughter. drat, now I've stopped caring about him because this plotline is going nowhere. Unless she skins him and axe murders half of Miami Metro in the next (final) episode, what oh god what was the point of having her on beyond that one time we got to see her tits?

Oh god, the show's only half over. Super Nintendo Matthews, I'm going to take you up on that offer of a drink.

Masuka's "hookers and blow" line might be the laziest bit of writing in Dexter history and that's saying A LOT. I literally cringed.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Wait, did Dexter sell the Rita house, or did everyone forget like the writers?

He's still renting it to Lumen.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Gaussian posted:

The final episode lasts 8 minutes and consists solely of every actor and writer from beyond season 4 flipping off the camera and laughing.

a finale planned for years

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

I wish I could watch it live. I would totally livepost the finale, but unfortunately it isn't possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

Watching Dexter has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

• Locked thread