Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

Commuting is only worth a poo poo if you can lane split. Otherwise? Eff that.

Pff. The Buell costs about half as much to run as the Mustang on both the maintenance (granted, I pay somebody wrench on the car) and fuel calculations. It takes the same amount of time on my reverse City-Country-City commute but the savings is generally worth it.

Speaking of which, why the hell did I drive today?

Like Spiffness, I do feel pressure to transition away from street riding; the State Patrol, whose mission is apparently to be revenue-positive, will find any opportunity to write a bogus ticket to a motorcyclist (cha-ching!) and it's becoming time consuming to defend myself.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Can I complain about the hematoma on my leg? It's terrible. It hurts to put my leg in my boot and I only got the drat thing from repeatedly jamming the peg feeler into the side of my leg and shredding the hell out of what little tissue is there between the skin and the bone. I either need shorter boots (in the short term) or taller boots (in the long term) to ride comfortably with it.

I'm trying to change my habits by coming to a stop on my left leg, with the right still on the peg, but I still can't seem to paddle around tight spots (the Uly has the world's worst lock-to-lock steering range) without repeatedly hitting my leg on it.

I'm thinking I might need to shave the feeler down or affix some sort of pad to it to mitigate my retarded handicap. Old person problems (I'm too young for this poo poo).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nope, it's just a part of the peg.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

slidebite posted:

Also know a guy that stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk (as he should). The pedestrian waved him on, so on he went. A cop almost immediately pulled him over and said he had to yield for pedestrians. He said he did and was waved through and cop said "it didn't matter" :wtc:

This is precisely why I just sit there like a lump waiting for normal traffic to resume. If you get there first and are trying to wave me through, well, we're both going to wait then.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No sunglasses our lenses on under the helmet? Seems dumb, especially if you're brave enough to open the visor.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MoraleHazard posted:

I too vouch for swerving slightly in my lane when approaching an intersection where a car looks like it is about to turn.

I bet having the headlight's beam flash back and forth makes you very visible.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Digital_Jesus posted:

Dear lady driving the gently caress-off Dodge Ram 4x4 BIG HORN Edition,

I realize you're afraid that taking any curve at more than 3mph is going to cause your axels to snap and send a wheel careening off into outer space since the world is based on Gamebryo physics, but for christ's sake stop ruining the THREE GODDAMN FUN CORNERS on the entire way home today.

When I'm out to have fun, I'll pull off at a turnout if there's traffic ahead and wait for the next car to come up behind me, then get back going in front of them with a big gap in front of me. Sometimes I never catch up to the slow guy and assume they turned off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I just let cars have the advantage if they want. Joke's on them if they want to drive in front of a fuckoff loud Ulysses. Plus it makes a terrible drag bike; it would rather put the wheel in the air than launch aggressively, and one of these days a cop is bound see it happen. I've gone four months without a ticket, and I intend to keep this going.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Phy posted:

Why does my ignition have a "drain battery overnight" setting

WHAT THE HELL IS IT USED FOR

It's a parking light, don't leave it on that overnight or you'll drain your battery. Leave it on "off".

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Then put it halfway around the barrel, not 5 degrees. I dry-lubed up my barrel to keep it from sticking, and now the key just slides into "SCREW YOUR BATTERY" with nary a detent. I have to actively pull on the key as I'm going down to lock to make sure it pops out early enough.

This is so not a feature, and unfortunately it's all internal to the lock cylinder, so it's not like you can just cut a jumper and it'll be OK.

FWIW I know for sure that if you have LED tail lamps, it can last days on Park and not kill the battery.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

I'm #90 but #1 in your hearts, right guys. This conversation reminded me that this poo poo never happens to me. I've been riding for over 14+ years and I've never had anyone try to purposefully run me off the road, well maybe I have and just don't remember but it seems to be a daily occurrence with some riders. I've never crashed cause of gravel in a corner, or oil or diesel (which I know is euro problem). I'm not accosted by stories of uncle's neighbor's brother dying at 200mph when people find out I ride a motorcycle. I mean I've heard those stories but not enough that they're any sort of problem. People don't merge into me all day long, I don't know I'm sort of statistical mutant.

*edit, just remembered I crashed n8r's bike cause of gravel, but that was a gravel road not a few rocks in the road.

I've mentioned this as well - riding for years, no real close calls with traffic or dopey crashes to speak of. The response here: "Do you putt around on side streets or something? No close calls in 6 years? That's drat near impossible, especially if you do any sort of track or canyon riding." Actually, I pay attention. I see cars do dumb stuff - a lot - but I don't put myself in the path of stupid.

I'd like to contribute to this thread by offering my sentiments on chip seal as well: GARBAGE. At least they put up signs in my area, but I still have some tar-embedded gravel stuck to my engine case and rear wheel from about 50 miles of the stuff between Cut Bank and Browning Montana. Seems like they try to put the stuff on the best roads, precisely when I want to have a good ride.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Mine is named Ulysses.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The best part about stoplight creepers is that they're almost always slow to move when it turns green.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Haha I usually give people to the count of 1 to take their right of way before it's mine. You snooze you lose.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I like roundabouts with traffic lights on them. That doesn't seem like a massive loving waste of time at all.

The ones with the traffic lights directly off of them blow my mind. Don't they have those around London?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

It makes me wanna do a bore kit myself

This is my winter project. I'm taking my heads in to have them ported, but the assembly/disassembly and high-dollar parts install is all me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

We get that too in the form of double fine construction zones that are in place for years with no construction occuring.

Sort of thought that was a WSDOT thing; few things give me a stronger urge to strangle bureaucrats.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

According to UPS, my oil filter sat in Hodgkins, IL for five days before being left at the front door of my high-rise apartment building today. Typically, the front desk signs for packages, but no signatures today, folks! Will it turn up? :iiam:

The oil and battery that I ordered at the same time, same Prime shipping, arrived on Tuesday.

For the Ulysses? I have a handy oil filter cross reference list for Autozone and Walmart-available options. I use the KN HP-1003 because it has a handy hex nut on the end.

ACDelco # UPF1233 
Amsoil SDF10, EA009, EA010 (1/2”longer=more oil) 
Bosch # 3311 
Car Quest 85394 
Champion # C138 
Fram # PH4967 
HD # 63806-004 or 00y? 
HiFloFiltro #HF177 
K&N # hp-1003, KN-177 
Mighty # m4477 
Napa # 1394 
Mobil 1 # M1-103 
Motorcraft # FL836 
Penzoil # pz39 
Purolator # L14476 
STP # S4967 
Valvoline # vo40 
Wal-Mart Super Tech # ST4967 
Wix # 51394 

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah it's like stupid stupid easy to strip the drain bolt. I'm using a rubber tension plug because first thing I did was strip it. Torque specs are for dry thread, which is belly laugh-worthy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Snapping a chain is really quite rare. I think you just got (un)lucky.

That reminds me, bring a spare belt for your 1000 mile run. There's enough time to fix a broken belt and still do it in 24 hours. I did an unhurried belt install, breakfast, and 550 miles including a 20 mile backtrack for a jerry can of gas in 11 hours last June.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

That's part of the plan. What do you think, pop the new belt on when I get it and keep the 30Kmile belt as a spare, or vice versa?

Judgement call. Inspect the old belt, look for cracks or gouges. I went with the old one on my trip but that was based on having roadside assistance, a spare, and the tools to install it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

You mean you've never rolled up next to a friend and flipped his kill switch? :v:

The most hilarious timing is right before the light turns green.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

:hfive: 24 years young. Just ignore graphic tees and desert boots and it's a city like any other!

I sort of know the Berkeley police chief, he owns the two downstairs units in my 3 unit condo building; HOA buddies.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

Looking in every direction for miles and seeing nothing but dredges of humanity just doesn't seem like a fun experience. :(

Goons sure have a lot of trouble getting over themselves about other people.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ReelBigLizard posted:

I loving hate computers, I'm just too drat good at them.

This is my hell.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Get a Ulysses

I'm always frustrated by the first 3 weeks after it snows... it always feels relatively tropical out, but all that loving sand they dump on the road and let sit until a week before the next time it snows just ruins it for me. I hate riding over it, knocking it off my bike, and eating it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 11, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

they're enough of a minority to have no ability to lobby the government in defence

This is less true than you might imagine. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2014793478_apwaxgrbikerprofiling1stldwritethru.html

I was pretty surprised it was A-OK to single out motorcyclists before that.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've almost acquiesced to the idea of just getting a white helmet and having it painted

I got a black one and allowed rocks and bugs to ding it up all nicely.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think there's still most of a bee carcass in one of my top vents.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you hate people and you're in the service industry, you're in the wrong industry.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

It looks like a transformer, but not a cool one, one that has a bug face with mandibles.

Edit - and the mirrors are the antennae.

Can't see any of that from where it matters.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

My hands (and nothing else) turn into blocks of ice below 54, it really limits my riding in spring and fall. Wish there was a way to get some bark busters onto a ninja 250.

Heated gear is wicked rad.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Clitch posted:

Your hands are one of the biggest heat transfers in the body. Heated gloves can work wonders.

Anecdotally my hands were prone to being cold in a stiff breeze, and then I quit smoking. Made a huge difference.

You speak the truth. It's amazing how well my palms transfer the heat from the grips into my body. Unfortunately the ends of my fingers and knuckles still get chilled. Based on that, I figure heated gloves would be a huge asset for cold weather riding.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The one who decided it was a good idea to set the speed limit on US97 in Oregon should be tarred and feathered. 55mph is the worst. Everybody feels like it's too slow, half drive 10-20 over, nobody knows what to expect. It is bedlam. Both directions stack up with traffic because of it too which makes passing a rare treat.

Oregon traffic engineering in general, for that matter, can't say I'm a fan.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

There's always the Beartooth Highway/Pass ride.

and Dead Indian Pass. Short but sweet, and in the same area.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm actually sort of amazed Logan Pass isn't higher than Kings Hill Pass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marxalot posted:

It's one thing to blip the throttle. It's another thing entirely to blip the throttle when you have a 110+dB freedom hawg exhaust.

I like to call it a Jardine, AND IT SOUNDS LIKE THUNDER. Go big or go home, kids.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's an adventure bike's intended purpose.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

But yeah, it's not built for comfort from the factory because Harley.

I'd probably go with not built for comfort from the factory because Sporty.

I've rode a few tourers and they're pretty dang comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

by far the worst offender seemed to be huge lifted bro trucks.

Brodozers are always the worst offenders, for everything, everywhere.