Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Are there any good resources for learning to make minecraft mods? The extent of my programming knowledge is 'I took a college course once' and 'my friend yelled at me for a while about how Java is the best thing ever'. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ender Ore is the worst thing because every time a god drat enderman spawns I have a loving heart attack. :negative:

So, I'm on Garfu's modified Toast server and I can't craft copper wire for some reason. The recipe exists but when I try to take the item from the crafting window it snaps back into place. I wanted to make a batt box but I was told they are broken.

This makes me really sad because I was hoping to try eschewing TE's power entirely this time, and maybe BC as well and focus on using Mekanism/AE (well, except for making flint). I'm under the impression that Mekanism won't really work without batt boxes. What is a good power alternative since I can't make copper wire/batt boxes?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 1, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Edminster posted:

Mekanism has its own energy storage solution called Energy Cubes, try building those.

Huh. For some reason I thought batt boxes were Mekanism. :downs: Thanks!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is my first sorta serious foray in Mekanism's power and...

Nah. There's gotta be some catch. It can't be this easy. Low effort, self-sustaining, what am I missing here? I don't know how equitable their power output is compared to, say, magmatic engines though. Maybe they're just less power generation? Anyone know how these compare to using TE's power?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Thanks you two. :) Yeah I know about using TE's stuff. I leaned pretty heavily on TE last time and I wanted to try out alternate power/technology solutions just for the sake of it. Are we talking server-crushing lag or just frame lag? I don't mind the latter.

10 MJ/t doesn't seem too bad. I had a setup of 20 magmatic engines last time. It'd take 8 of these to match that. However, it'll also take up much more space unless I came up with an efficient solution. My magmatic engine setup was really compact.

However, if I'm going to poo poo the server up with lag I'll happily incorporate TE to reduce lag, as I put the server above my own little personal 'challenge'.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is really compact and incredibly impressive. Awesome.

Also I kind of like Mekanism's sound and at the very least the volume rapidly tapers off. :shobon:

e: What is the white machine at the far end of the picture on the end of the liquiduct? I initially assumed it was an aqueous accumulator but it doesn't look like one. I'm gonna copy this but extend it.

e2: vvv Yep, just checked the block out in game and it matches. Thanks.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 2, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Massive meat factories churning out meat ingots, blocks and rivers of pink slime are awesome. But what I really want is a soylent green style alternative. :unsmigghh:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

This is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Dreams and noise complaints. :shepface: I could fit two more in beneath my feet, too. I'm only actually using the first three near the front, I haven't built up AE yet nor am I using much power beyond just basic factories and MFR farms. I guess I should start replacing my UE cable entirely instead of just partially.

I also have a 10x10x6 space prepared below this room for a big reactor. :v:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 3, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Saxophone posted:

Is there a good 'getting started with toast' guide somewhere? There is just so much stuff going on that I have no clue where to start.

I like to start with Tinkerer's construct. It doesn't need a ton of materials to set up and you can make steel hammers/excavators pretty easily, which are really game changing in the 'still digging things up' phase.

e: I haven't tried them myself but the others on the server with me love BetterFurnaces, too, and they don't seem super hard to make?

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 3, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I haven't used Big Reactors til now. I'm at the point where I am going to start adding rods. What's the ideal placement for rods? I watched Wylker's video and saw I want water in there. Do I ideally want them surrounded on all sides by water, or would having water on one side work? What's the most efficient? I've got a 10x10x6 so I have 8x8x4 of interior space usable.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Erogenous Beef posted:

You may want to tinker a bit in Creative to figure that out. The internal dynamics are somewhat complicated.

You want to try to line up each rod with as many other rods as possible, so that the radiation from each rod tends to hit other rods while propagating. This produces power more efficiently. However, you also need to keep the rods cool to keep them efficient - that's where the water comes in.

As a result of that, the current designs that people favor tend to be grids or checkerboard patterns.

Alright, thanks! I guess I'll have to add a row on both side to make 11x11 so I can space them out properly inside. Right now with the 10x10 there would be wasted space or I'd have to have a bunch of them side-by-side.

Like this for a 10x10: _R_RR_R_ (R being the rods, _ being spaces of course). One more block of space would add another square between the center rods.

Pound_Coin posted:

Go big or go home :colbert:

All one reactor.

Unlike my last foray or two, I have designed my base in a way that all of my systems are fairly extensible, so while I may be starting with a 11x11x6, I can eventually expand it into a 17x17xWhatever (that looks like it's 16 tall, but it gets hard to count near the bottom). :v:

e: End game project: Rather than a 17x17, make it 15x15 with all of the cables/connected power cubes/etc. on the 1 square space to the side. This keeps it contained to a single chunk. Now start at bedrock, and go up, up, up! :getin:

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 4, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I would kill to have ramps in this game. Doubly so to have Artifice ramps.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm on a Toast server and I live in a Mountain Range biome. I've got a town near me, and I am working on cleaning it up and improving it. Unfortunately, there's a lot of terrain I need to level around the town (and my house) to do so.

Here's the dynmap:

What would be the best way to rapidly flatten a lot of the hills around me? Just blow them up?

e: Is there a way to disguise a block as another block? I know there are facades/microblocks but those don't really work here. I want to move my Smeltery into my processing room but I want to have part of it occupy the exterior wall. But I also don't want it to 'show', I want it to match the rest of the wood.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 6, 2013

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Ixjuvin posted:

Tinkers' Construct hammers/excavators are pretty nice for mass manual earthmoving; alternately if you have Xeno's Reliquary and a large supply of gunpowder you can blast it all away with a destruction catalyst.

I have a hammer/excavator but even so there's too much to just do it by hand, I feel. Don't have a good supply of gunpowder either.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Does toast have buildcraft? The buildcraft filler works great to level obnoxious terrain.

Yes, it does. How does the filler work? I'll go make one!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

wylker posted:

On a side note, here is a video about OpenBlocks, a cool mod made by Mikee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCxjv9NozM

This is really cool though I'm not sure how I feel about being slaughtered by my own ghost. I'd rather have it so the ghost pops out if someone tries to steal my poo poo, but not if I grab my corpse myself. I hope that's configurable. Otherwise, awesome looking mod.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Nastyman posted:

Am I right in that this is basically Microblocks but more than one block piece can occupy the same "standard block" space? Cause we've been tooling around with MCB but it kind of annoyed me how I apparently couldn't put several block fragments right next to eachother in the same 1x1 block space, and this might be just the thing.

e: Nevermind, I guess TFC is that realistic minecraft thing. Still, is it possible at all to do what I'm asking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9yUr4jmU6s

There's this.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I've had Infernal Mobs Enderman bosses spawn from the ore; that made me seriously afraid of it. I died twice for that piece of ore :argh:

I once got a 140 hp enderman that attacked by causing explosions. :gonk: And he spawned in a fashion that I was immediately staring at him.

gently caress Ender Ore it is HORRIFYING.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Danith posted:

I have a VPS sitting around, would anyone be interested in a Terrafirmacraft (http://terrafirmacraft.com/index.html) server? I played it awhile ago and thought it was pretty neat but very intricate.

TFC intimidated the gently caress out of me, more than any tech or magic mod I've fiddled with. I'm down to at least give it a try with some others.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Once you get a hang of it, AE's nifty and really easy. The biggest real hurdle for it is the amount of quartz it takes (both nether and the mod's own certus variant). Honestly, the amount of quartz you need almost makes you need to have fun with Quarries or building a Mining Laser. But...once you do the functionality AE gives you is pretty easy to understand and useful.

gently caress Quartz. This is why I will only use AE with Magic Crops available since Nether Seeds function with fertilizer of any variety and make for a low effort source of quartz. :colbert:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Zoe posted:

can anyone point me to a good, balanced mod that either 1.) does something more interesting with the underground,

Still waiting for a Journey to the Center of the Earth style modpack. Some day!

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

How does the BC autocrafting table handle the usage of a minium stone, and it running out of durability? I want to set up an automated production line for Artifice's Basalt, since I'll need about 4,000 to 4,500 of it. My first thoughts are: Igneous Extruder -> Autocrafting table w/ Minium+2 cobblestone -> Extreme Furnace, and then make the remaining combines by hand as needed into pavers.

My concern is that the Minium stone will eventually break and the whole thing will grind to a halt. Does anyone have recommendations on getting around this? The only other way to get Basalt as far as I know is digging it/converting it from marble, and that's really tedious for the quantity I need. If anyone has a recommendation I am all ears.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Is there a way to automate TC's Smeltery? As in, automatically feeding materials into the smeltery controller, and then pouring into a cast and retrieving from it.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

In the last thread, someone posted for me an ultra compact hydrogen generator setup and I lost the picture. :( I can't find that post. If anyone somehow knows what I am referring to and has the picture he posted and could link it I'd be appreciative.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm going to be 'that guy' and cluelessly waltz in and ask about the state of mods. I haven't played MC in like 7-8 months, I'm getting the itch again. I used to play with Toast a lot, but it looks massively out of date. I don't care too much if I have to play 1.5 as long as the pack is stable (which it probably is), but I am wondering if there's an up to date pack that is equitable with Toast? Or has the modding scene not fully caught up to 1.7?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Rutibex posted:

The earliest game I can think of that did it that way was Unreal Tournament made in 1999.

Starcraft 1 was 1998 and custom maps were downloaded right to you in the lobby.

Everything else before then required you to go download it from a third party, I believe. I remember having to go digging for mod websites to play on various Quake servers through All Seeing Eye's client.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

But there were those little widgets you could attach to pipe itself to make them powered! I don't remember what they were called. gently caress Buildcraft either way.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Material Energy^3 suggests burning away the jungle in the bottom of the biodome after getting your cocoa beans. Unfortunately lighting it with flint & steel and dumping lava all over it doesn't seem to do anything since there are burning protections on by default I guess? How do I turn them off so I can burn a hole in this jungle.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm terrible and I lost the dragon egg in ME^3. I couldn't figure out how to pick it up, kept finding it again and now I have no idea where the gently caress it went. I've scoured every inch of the area, found a billion secrets. Even went down in the bottom of both of the spatial chambers, on top of them, everywhere. I tried to spawn a new one so I could continue but that doesn't seem to work in this pack. Any suggestions?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

odinninn posted:

I did the same thing and just spawned in another. Just write
/give yourname 122
You might have to set gamemode to 1 first, I'm not sure.

Oh this worked perfectly, thanks!

Now I need to figure out how I am going to get enough power into the other thing to use this disk I found.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Pidmon posted:

So I finally felt good enough to try tonight.

"Could not create Java virtual machine"

Sorry mate, guess my computer's too lovely for minecraft.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1761312/fix-create-java-virtual-machine-issue.html

Here you go. It's not your PC being too lovely. You may want to adjust the variable in the article depending on your memory needs!

I had the same issue and this fixed it right away.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yep, playing TFC again. I spawned in an area with rock salt. :getin:

Sometimes I want to play TFC again but I can't do it solo, it's so much better with a group and dividing up tasks.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Are any of the quest packs or whatever suitable for 2-3 players? I want to do one with a friend or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Solid Poopsnake posted:

The first half of Regrowth is fun and definitely appropes for a small group. I'm also enjoying relaxing on easy mode in Baby's First Space Race. In my opinion, Agrarian Skies is the most tedious thing in the world, and Blightfall is kinda meh.

E: Having an extra pair or two of hands might actually help the second half of Regrowth be less horrible, I dunno.

Do you think ME^3 would work well? I was playing that a few months (or however long ago i'm bad at time frames) and it was pretty fun.

• Locked thread