Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
This game is blowing me away. A question, though: Is it normal to break gravity by falling through a disc-shaped planet? This thing appears to be a disc of ice that is rounded on one side and completely smooth on the other. If I dig through it to the flat side, I deal with gravity until I pop out the other side, at which point gravity no longer affects me and I can float back up the tube through the disc-planet. What the hell is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

HJE-Cobra posted:

How... how did someone even get 50,000 pieces in the first place to build something like that? I don't know how you'd even get to that scale.

All I did in the time I played was build a rinkydink ship, fly around to check out random planets, get chased by some NPC pirate ships, and flew directly into the sun.

We found some abandoned destroyer and ripped it to loving shreds.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Should we see about setting up a Steam group or getting on Mumble for this or something?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

1. Is the c3w server shot? I got disconnected a while ago and still cannot reconnect.

2. I looked for the IRC channel via the Mibbit web browser thing but couldn't find it. I think I'm missing something obvious, but do not know what.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

It looks like c3w is down and no one is talking on IRC. Did we migrate somewhere else?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Blast of Confetti posted:

Are public servers a thing in this game, or are they all private?

I've played a lot of games like this with a focus on building. G Mod, Minecraft, etc. They all have the potential for a lot of fun fights, but the reality is that people hate to lose and they really hate seeing their legos getting stomped to pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if once this game really takes off, people hide away in 20-50 people servers tops. You'd think it would turn in to thinking of servers as "sectors" to fight in, but people are going to have a whole bunch of dumb rules on how you can and can't fight on their servers. Break one, or really just beat them while following the rules and you'll get booted. Eventually the RPers come in and make it an even bigger headache.

I really hope this game will have actual public servers. That's the only way I'll see communities fighting communities rather than groups fighting groups within communities. Everyone will want to conquer pubspace and draw more people in. Being top dog of Public Server X for awhile and then suddenly needing to fight off a sudden invasion from the Star Trek RPers or whatever would be baller as gently caress.

What really gets me is how this game allows you to use your awesome ship, gently caress it up, and then simply rebuy it. I would understand if you had to literally build every ship from scratch, but that's not the case. There is literally no reason why anyone should be horribly upset unless it becomes incredibly difficult to raise enough money to buy a ship.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Synnr posted:

Anyone having issues connecting to the server?

Also what is with some items selling for huge negative values?

The C3W server is currently down. Has been for a while.

The negative values thing is some bug.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I heard that huge ships can gently caress up the server. What levels of huge are we talking about? I have one that's like 8,000 cubes or so and will make it bigger eventually and haven't really seemed to have problems. Or what it just huge ship blueprints? Like if I just build it is it a problem?

I think they cause lag and the collision detection gets hosed to hell. When you've got a ship the size of a planet moving around at tens of kilometers per hour, but not all of the ship is rendered, things tend to end badly.

So by huge, we mean ships that have hundreds of thousands of cubes in them.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

C3W is back.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Heads-up: We've got a guy making assaults on our base. There are only a few of us on. We've driven him off twice, now.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Demerzel posted:

Hulls are pretty much decorational as they don't provide much once your shields are down, the heavyfighter_bare I uploaded on Zellik's will take out 2 hardened hull per volley and it does several per second.

This is, for me, one of the most disappointing things at the moment. Once shields are down, ships just start going to pieces unless you have hulls that are several blocks thick. Thus, on the largest ships, once the shields are down, a volley of missiles breaches the hull and that's that. Would be nice if hulls varied in strength based on size of ship or number of hulls or something.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Server keeps crashing every few minutes. Everyone seems to be having the same issue. Any ideas as to what is going on?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Edit: Seems like it resolved itself.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Aug 16, 2013

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

So I, uh, I'm finding it amusing that Raneman is now bitching about pubbies blowing his poo poo up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Amstrad posted:

My new faction home (ShitShip2 for scale):

I really like this. Will probably use it as inspiration, since I'm complete and utter poo poo and building things that look nice.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I was under the impression that creating a space station and placing a faction block would make the station secure and effectively invulnerable. Is that not the case?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Has anyone successfully created an interior turret yet? It's easy enough to create space large enough to hold one, but the orientation is horrendously and inexplicably hosed up, and the turrets don't seem to want to fire on anything.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

Wouldn't your ship block it's shots?

I put a target on the inside.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

biomatter posted:

As a matter of fact, I would say they detract from a ship by needlessly adding mass. Shields protect the whole ship AND regenerate, making them millions of times more valuable than hull, which has to be manually repaired/replaced.

My philosophy is that if your shields are breaking, you did something wrong when you made the ship.

This mentality (not that I can blame you, it's the system's fault) drives me loving nuts. Hulls need to be worthwhile and a bunch of blocks need balancing. Especially the cloaker. That thing is just a disaster. You can only really effectively mount it on ships that look ridiculous, with power generators going everywhere, because power demands are loving insane. I would say you could just save up a bunch of power in extra power units, but you have to get tens, if not hundreds, of them in order to see an appreciable gain, which just worsens the power demands of the cloaker. So much for docking scout ships in anything beyond a relatively large carrier that can accommodate the space consumed by power generators.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

A few people have built battleships with ineffective broadside weaponry. I few ships I've seen looked like they were entirely build with the assumption that they would work.

I think you could also get a separate player to control the weapon computer, which would presumably let those weapons be aimed as well as the front facing weapons.

Yeah, this is a big thing. The truth is that, especially on larger ships, the pilot is usually going to be ineffective at attacking a target. Having other people on-board and manning guns would be a great thing.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kizurue posted:

Well just logged into the c3w server for the first time. Went to build a ship (my first ever) and someone immediately dismantled it and stole all the parts. Apparently there is a high demand for thrusters and power because I wasn't even able to buy any from the shop. Is there anyway to get myself the parts I need or am I doomed to stay on this shop until someone decides to sell their components?

You're probably screwed if you don't have any cash. If you do, just spawn in a block of thrusters and claim them for yourself.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

nightwisher posted:

I've tried a dozen different ways but I simply cannot design a cloaking ship that can hold cloak indefinitely, without being completely bare-bones with no hull and very few weapons.

It seems like the power:block ratio doesn't become sufficient enough to give design flexibility unless you're running large T or cross shapes, which then requires exponentially more blocks to complete the ship. I'd like to see cloak/jammer's power consumption scale with ship size, so that smaller ships can afford cloaking better whereas larger ships it becomes something you must base your designs on.

And then to counter this increase in cloak viability, make powerdrain beams reveal cloaked enemies when it touches them, instead of only when you fully drain their power.

edit: Not that I think cloak HAS to be power-neutral or better to be worth it, but because power storage is horrifically innefficient on the small scale it's almost worthless to run if it drains all your power in a few seconds, which the current system guarentees.

Power consumption does scale with ship size, it just does so linearly, which causes a lot of problems. The main issue is the 150 energy/block needed to both cloak and jam indefinitely. It doesn't work out unless you have ridiculously long strips of power generators, which as you've pointed out, makes for a crappy ship. If energy needs changed exponentially, that would probably work out much better.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Literally Kermit posted:

I nearly have 5000 explodium blocks - think i should risk getting a recipe? I'd like to experiment, specifically so we can make giant boxing glove arrowships that explode on contact :getin:

Do it. There probably isn't too tremendous of a risk.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I see two major problems with undocking to deploy bombs. The first is that a significant number of bombs requires a lot of micromanagement. You only have so many hotkeys, so if you're deploying more than a few bombs, you'll have to deal with that. Second, where are you going to carry the bombs such that they aren't easily targeted, but at the same time, won't bump into the wall of the bomb bay and blow up a portion of the ship while being deployed.

I think a feasible solution might be to set up a bunch of small bombs in a large bay and have a crew of people handle the undocking. The bomber stays immobile while the bombs/mines are prepared, then perhaps the bomber uses an interior pulse cannon to blast out tons of these freshly-undocked bombs. The only trick there ends up being that you have to figure out how to prevent the pulse cannon from hurling bombs into the ship itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

D34THROW posted:

So if you made a little shuttle with lots of thrust and docked it to a big chunk of explodium, could you use the shuttle as a thruster array to set the warhead on course, then undock and stop to watch the explosion? Or does the explodium need to have a pilot to go boom?

...I'm gonna test this too tomorrow.

Explodium definitely does not need a pilot to explode. I learned about the whole explodium-colliding-with-bomber the hard way.

What's more, docking one ship to another ship doesn't seem to add as much mass as would be added if the first ship were built onto the second ship. So you can, I believe, get away with using fewer thrusters. I think.

• Locked thread