Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

A shipyard thing that builds your ship block by block over time would be neat. Then you could watch Giant-Phallus-mk2 grow in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nightwisher posted:

Just being able to spend credits to respawn a ship is where the huge exploit is. That's basically just on-demand instant block duplication. Removing that means of convenience means that the larger the ship, the more time and money has to be invested. It also means people can't just instantly respawn their 500k space dicks at a whim.

If it's too difficult and expensive to purchase ships, then you run the risk of having people prefer super-efficient cubes over designing anything artistic.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

If it's too difficult and expensive to purchase ships, then you run the risk of having people prefer super-efficient cubes over designing anything artistic.

I'm completely fine with this, mainly because it would be pretty neat to have overly elaborate pretty ships be a sort of class status among ships instead of a given that every giant ship will be pretty. something like "I'm such a badass that I've managed to make a 3 sector long battleship with elaborate wedge block gold statues and hull over every system block, as well as 10 docked figher ships, without losing it at any point so far to pirates or other players. Come at me, bro."

I'm probably in the minority on this, though. I completely agree that the blueprint system needs an overhaul, the concept of being able to save your pretty ships before they get blown up is sound, but instant ships and infinite blocks is pretty troublesome. Even something as minor as requiring all the blocks in the ship's blueprint would be enough to curb this.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I've tried a dozen different ways but I simply cannot design a cloaking ship that can hold cloak indefinitely, without being completely bare-bones with no hull and very few weapons.

It seems like the power:block ratio doesn't become sufficient enough to give design flexibility unless you're running large T or cross shapes, which then requires exponentially more blocks to complete the ship. I'd like to see cloak/jammer's power consumption scale with ship size, so that smaller ships can afford cloaking better whereas larger ships it becomes something you must base your designs on.

And then to counter this increase in cloak viability, make powerdrain beams reveal cloaked enemies when it touches them, instead of only when you fully drain their power.

edit: Not that I think cloak HAS to be power-neutral or better to be worth it, but because power storage is horrifically innefficient on the small scale it's almost worthless to run if it drains all your power in a few seconds, which the current system guarentees.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

nightwisher posted:

I've tried a dozen different ways but I simply cannot design a cloaking ship that can hold cloak indefinitely, without being completely bare-bones with no hull and very few weapons.

It seems like the power:block ratio doesn't become sufficient enough to give design flexibility unless you're running large T or cross shapes, which then requires exponentially more blocks to complete the ship. I'd like to see cloak/jammer's power consumption scale with ship size, so that smaller ships can afford cloaking better whereas larger ships it becomes something you must base your designs on.

And then to counter this increase in cloak viability, make powerdrain beams reveal cloaked enemies when it touches them, instead of only when you fully drain their power.

edit: Not that I think cloak HAS to be power-neutral or better to be worth it, but because power storage is horrifically innefficient on the small scale it's almost worthless to run if it drains all your power in a few seconds, which the current system guarentees.

Power consumption does scale with ship size, it just does so linearly, which causes a lot of problems. The main issue is the 150 energy/block needed to both cloak and jam indefinitely. It doesn't work out unless you have ridiculously long strips of power generators, which as you've pointed out, makes for a crappy ship. If energy needs changed exponentially, that would probably work out much better.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

The new update has made it almost impossible to make money, since every shop has limited funds. Ugh.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's also pretty much removed all compatibility with Intel graphics cards. My friend is really upset about it after he built a huge space station over the weekend.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Yeah I've noticed lots of lag in placing lines of blocks, especially in symmetry mode and over large distances (50m+). Sometimes symmetry mode won't update the blocks on the other side unless I fly over them. This is in singleplayer.

edit: Ok what the gently caress. I was building a ship, the advanced build menu wouldn't show, so I restart the game. I was next to a shop with a half dozen prototypes I was working on. I load the game back up and I'm in the middle of space, the shop is nowhere to be seen and neither is any of my ships. I spot one of them just floating away in the distance. With a player there with my name.

Where the gently caress is the shop? And my loving ships?

edit: SECTORSSSSSSSS

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 28, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Well, I got myself hooked on this game. I already had a couple of ships ganked but thanks to the op of this thread I, too, became space-rich and I, too, wish to gently caress with people's space legos. :getin:

Been using one of the docks at the Goonfleet base at 7,5,8 so no one panic- it's the 'Acidsplash' assuming no one jacks it.

Btw I watched some dude named 'AlDecapo' fire on and apparently wound the Hyperiion (he also jacked one of my old stripped out but also heavy plate laden ships because I am a nooblet who doesn't understand how faction cubes work yet, but this is besides the point). I didn't understand why the turrets of like, anything (eden included) didn't fire.

Edit: ps invite me to goonfleet plz msg JackAcid in game tia

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 28, 2013

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy
Newbie Station at 2 2 2 should have cash on it for buying stuff

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Literally Kermit posted:

Well, I got myself hooked on this game. I already had a couple of ships ganked but thanks to the op of this thread I, too, became space-rich and I, too, wish to gently caress with people's space legos. :getin:

Been using one of the docks at the Goonfleet base at 7,5,8 so no one panic- it's the 'Acidsplash' assuming no one jacks it.

Btw I watched some dude named 'AlDecapo' fire on and apparently wound the Hyperiion (he also jacked one of my old stripped out but also heavy plate laden ships because I am a nooblet who doesn't understand how faction cubes work yet, but this is besides the point). I didn't understand why the turrets of like, anything (eden included) didn't fire.

Edit: ps invite me to goonfleet plz msg JackAcid in game tia

I was trying to build a drydock for the hyperiion. Not fast enough I see. The turrents should shoot all ships besides ours. Maybe I need to put them back to turrent but that is buggy due to you being shot at when you undock from another ship.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Also how badly wound is The hyperiion? I dont get off work for many hours.

Also I will teach the art of pirate. Overload the enemies ship core and it removes the faction permissions. Jump in the core to stop the overload. Set faction to your faction. Success.

And I might hunt the fucker down that shot my baby. Jimmy can we maybe declare war on him If feasable?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

darthzeta88 posted:

I was trying to build a drydock for the hyperiion. Not fast enough I see. The turrents should shoot all ships besides ours. Maybe I need to put them back to turrent but that is buggy due to you being shot at when you undock from another ship.

Turret. For the love of god, folks, it's turret.

Is the goon server still plagued by Raneman drama?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hopped on the goonserver for a bit, build a poo poo ship, tore it apart and build a slight less poo poo ship, flew around. Is there some trick to locating pirates? I flew around for some time without seeing much of anything.

Also, that cube that was hanging out at spawn last night is loving ridiculous. Someone activated it's AI and it started firing and, mostly due to my bad piloting skills, I was briefly caught in it's firing solution. The fact that I can say I was caught in a huge ship's firing solution makes me love this game.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
No, he vanished one day. Whether he was banned or got bored, I do not know.

darthzeta88 posted:

Also how badly wound is The hyperiion? I dont get off work for many hours.

Also I will teach the art of pirate. Overload the enemies ship core and it removes the faction permissions. Jump in the core to stop the overload. Set faction to your faction. Success.

And I might hunt the fucker down that shot my baby. Jimmy can we maybe declare war on him If feasible?

Yeah I got rid of your dry dock as it was a huge turd in space and that Hyperion (In lieu of you building something yourself) is in the station dry docks which are more in theme with the station itself. It all looks neater now.

The damage was probably cause by the 2 or 3 NPC pirates that strafe the station every so often, I have no idea why all my purpose built turrets never shoot at them however :confused:

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I just happened to be there to see the guy fire on Goonfleet - he said 'we looked pretty well off' when I PM'd him - he was a sport and spared the ship I was working on so I could at least get a blueprint of it! :unsmith:

He def. fired on the Hyperiion, and from my POV at that (highly frantic) moment it looked like there was damage. I hopped in a skiff and tried tailing him but I got stupid and bounced across the surface of a desert planet he used to dismantle my original ship, which tipped him off. He escaped into the ether unharmed. Gonna scout out and see if I can find his base.

I repaired (and tweaked) the damaged 'jimmy ship' on Eden. I am dubbing this blueprint the 'Jimmywing' or JW for short. More testing is needed before fleet production. I just like saying 'jimmywing' :buddy:

Project: Hullfucker is on brief hold as I design the arms and legs, which will be roughly 'u' shaped to stave off docking problems. Crotch design is in alpha stages. Explosive tip? Taint cockpit? Possible backpack hanger to carry spare dongs?

This one is going to take some loving graph paper, Goonfleet.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
Jimmy do we have a faction planet? If not I would like to get one and hollow it out to dock massive capital ships that can be protected. Just gonna need a lot of plex doors. And If I hollow it out and have them come in from the side into it or below it it shouldnt lag.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anything properly docked to a faction home is protected. If you're thinking about just letting ships float inside a giant bay then they can still cause lag if they ever collide with anything and the physics engine freaks out.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Anything properly docked to a faction home is protected. If you're thinking about just letting ships float inside a giant bay then they can still cause lag if they ever collide with anything and the physics engine freaks out.

Well any news on Chaindocking? Or should I just let my bunch or little stuff be undocked in my ship when its docked properly?

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

darthzeta88 posted:

Jimmy do we have a faction planet? If not I would like to get one and hollow it out to dock massive capital ships that can be protected. Just gonna need a lot of plex doors. And If I hollow it out and have them come in from the side into it or below it it shouldn't lag.

We don't have a faction planet. I have avoided setting up on a planet because planets tend to gently caress stuff up. This is doubly so if you have a space lift or multiple large ships in orbit. If you want to make a faction allied with Goonfleet that has a planet as a faction home then great but Eden station will be the faction home until i see otherwise.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

A partial solution to this is to make little landing nubs, so you at least don't have the giant surfaces of the ship and whatever else scraping along eachother.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

eviljimmy posted:

We don't have a faction planet. I have avoided setting up on a planet because planets tend to gently caress stuff up. This is doubly so if you have a space lift or multiple large ships in orbit. If you want to make a faction allied with Goonfleet that has a planet as a faction home then great but Eden station will be the faction home until i see otherwise.

Example: I made a planet base with a space lift to a space station that I technically attached to the planet. It turns out that by doing so, the station rotates with the planet. I also made it so long (you have to build a LONG way up to escape gravitational pull) that the rotation makes it seem like you're moving really fast.

End result: Since the game doesn't make you default to being bound to gravity of objects in space (e.g. if you exit a ship core or space station's build block you will not be bound to its gravity even if you were when you entered it) then when you exit anything on my station, you are flung off of it immediately.

That's why Jimmy is right and you need to use a space station as a base, and why my faction will be too.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So I'm still messing around in single player mode. I built a farm ship to increase my hull/shield/power block inventory. Whenever I try to buy it, the game freaks and flashes me a red message about how I'm loading a MODIFIED BLUEPRINT and then deletes the blueprint (and doesn't spawn it). What gives?

It's not a "modified blueprint" (whatever that is), I literally saved it for the first time and immediately tried to spawn another. I don't have any cheat protection enabled that I'm aware of. I've made plenty of farm ships before and I'm playing on the default server settings.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Not seen that message before, but there's a setting in server.cfg

REMOVE_MODIFIED_BLUEPRINTS = true //Auto-removes a modified blueprint

that you could try setting to false.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Seems like a happy medium to allow blueprints to cut back (or encourage) auto-dongshaped spaceships!

Cleaned up Eden a bit from some old projects, started a for serious mining ship with heavy armor and weapons that can bring down mobships. Took down a hammerhead, put a hole in a trade guild flagship before it took out my cockpit. Found out the hard way why you should not put computers up front in said cockpit.
My new ship, Thudpucker, is docked and undergoing a refit for this.

Coming up with a list of things for darthzeta88's flagship to make it more bro-worthy. Had a loving blast tagging along and helping attack and salvage pubbie and mobs alike, and the Hyperiion's main bay has a dropship, a jimmywing attacker, and a mini salvage/astrotech ship for exterior repairs. It's a little tricky to close the door and dock without leaving the ship, but it's pretty rad that it's all usable! She's a good ship.

Ideas for the hyperiion:
-A weapon bank up front or just someplace to hop on to be able to see what's going on outside the ship - and keep from being booted out between sectors!
-a special turret for the front specifically to be manned by a goon. Solves above problem. Maybe a power drain turret for exploiting tactical breaches? Or a salvage turret for precision tear gathering! Special turrets can be hauled in the bay and swapped between fights! (No changes even need to be made to the bay)
-a weapon bank facing backwards under the bay door. I would man the gently caress out of this. Most ships on this server have the rear of the ships defenseless, but even a token gunbank would give me something to do and keep me close to the bay to deploy miniships.

Probably my favorite part of riding shotgun is I could do things like check the nav and map screens for darthzeta, and i could deploy to scout around surrounding sectors to acquire victims targets. Also store runs. I just like salvaging poo poo sometimes, so it's nice to just tag along and help make things to salvage :black101:

eviljimmy are the plans to make a factory area on Eden? I found a recipe for wood which almost cries out to be worked into a dong megaship. Lol, nope. Lost most of my wealth getting one shotted by some guy named viper. Easy come, easy go~

Are we allowed to make more docking areas on Eden? Green block docks, I mean. Need docks, man.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 31, 2013

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What kind of numbers should I be aiming for on my ship, like for shield and thrust and stuff? I've been trying to keep my thrust higher than my mass, and so far that's been working ok.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
You usually don't need to worry too much about aiming for numbers for shields, as you scale the size of the ship and it's systems up your numbers will pretty much be as good as you could hope to get them unless you end up making huge ships that are basically just empty shells.

As long as you fill up most of the insides of your ship with stuff you're going to be fine.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Never shot my way out of a planet's gravity before. That was entertaining.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

eviljimmy are the plans to make a factory area on Eden? I found a recipe for wood which almost cries out to be worked into a dong megaship. Lol, nope. Lost most of my wealth getting one shotted by some guy named viper. Easy come, easy go~

Are we allowed to make more docking areas on Eden? Green block docks, I mean. Need docks, man.

Yeah sure, make whatever mods to it you like as long as they look good and keep in the theme of the place. For example: A massive jet black dry dock for the Hyperion probably isn't.

There is masses of inside area for a factory section so feel free to set up in a corner.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Being shipjacked twice in the newbie starting dock and subsequently ending up with way fewer credits than I started with is not endearing this game to me. Hopefully being with a faction will cut down on that but it's a little annoying that I haven't really gotten to the "design crazy spaceships" part.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Maxwell Lord posted:

Being shipjacked twice in the newbie starting dock and subsequently ending up with way fewer credits than I started with is not endearing this game to me. Hopefully being with a faction will cut down on that but it's a little annoying that I haven't really gotten to the "design crazy spaceships" part.

You plop a shipcore, then you enter it. Go into build mode and add a little bit of power and some engines. Fly away from everyone, because people suck!
Build your Mega Space Cock 40,000 and go nuts.

Oh yeah, and salvaging wrecks and stations (the glass in particular) might yield a tidy bit of income. You might have to visit a bunch of stores before you can sell all your loot because they now have a credit limit!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I'm having issues with the build block function, so pardon the asymmetrical construction in the lowest decks.

I've claimed two hollow areas in the hull that were just there. The two nearest lifts from the two bottom most plexdoors now go to that floor exclusively. I've set up an undeathenator room in one half and a factory prototyping/cargo room for the other so it'll be a pretty important and well travelled area.

Also I've begun a more formal docking area for mid-sized ships (32x32x32~ish). I haven't figured out how to rotate blocks when you're not inside a ship, which is why I came up with the current design. each half of this new docking setup will be able to dock two midsize ships on the inside ring and three or four slightly bigger ones on the outside, not including the preexisting dock on the bottom of the station.

I intend to make the 'dry docks' flanking the station dockable as well, for building new megaships safely as well as studying and refitting captured ships because why the hell not?

I nearly have 5000 explodium blocks - think i should risk getting a recipe? I'd like to experiment, specifically so we can make giant boxing glove arrowships that explode on contact :getin:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Literally Kermit posted:

I nearly have 5000 explodium blocks - think i should risk getting a recipe? I'd like to experiment, specifically so we can make giant boxing glove arrowships that explode on contact :getin:

Do it. There probably isn't too tremendous of a risk.

Speirs
Dec 13, 2009
I'm new to the game. Can i get an invite to the goon faction? ingame name is speirs.

editvvvvvv: this is one of the coolest loving games i have ever played

Speirs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 1, 2013

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Speirs posted:

I'm new to the game. Can i get an invite to the goon faction? ingame name is speirs.

editvvvvvv: this is one of the coolest loving games i have ever played

It IS rad, isn't it?

Unfortunately, I can't invite new people yet, but jimmy's got your back next time he logs in.

Bad news: trying to spawn any ship with explodium in it causes the server to automatically despawn that ship while still charging you the credits because of courseit does. However, no rule on making just a de-armed version of that boxing arrow missile and loading it yourself immediately after :getin:

I wasted about 3000 explodies on a recipe that had materials 3 times as costly as just stockpiling it from shops. However, i understand how factories work now, so stockpile them minerals and mats, and i can do the rest!

Designing the Troll-Slaiyer to accommodate kamikaze missiles. Flying it to spawn and using it as a aircraft carries of kamikaze dickships - sound like a plan? A small crew could spawn and arm like clockwork!

Each missile will cost roughly 50,000 creds. It does significantly more than that in entertainment value, though more testing is needed.

In other news, darthzeta88 i towed the hyperiion back to dock for repairs. Also i snagged not one but two trophy ships to study/refit/salvo. Pillar of Death's Watch my white irish rear end. :allears:

Tomorrow means more work on the lower docks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

tastychicken posted:

You plop a shipcore, then you enter it. Go into build mode and add a little bit of power and some engines. Fly away from everyone, because people suck!
Build your Mega Space Cock 40,000 and go nuts.

True, but there is the question of A) being able to log off safely and B) actually having enough credits to get all the neat ship parts to build the ultimate Mega Space Cock 40K. Though with the latter I may be overthinking it- I've still got some 48,000 credits which should be enough for basic building materials, I just have a problem budgeting. (Maybe if I actually knew what I really wanted to build...)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Trying to connect to the goon server yet it keeps giving me this crash report saying:

DissconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server
(either connection problem or server crash)
ActualException: EOFException

Any idea?

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Post Workout Peach posted:

Trying to connect to the goon server yet it keeps giving me this crash report saying:

DissconnectException: You have been disconnected from the Server
(either connection problem or server crash)
ActualException: EOFException

Any idea?

Been doing that for me all day, it's probably down. Hop on the Mumble and look for Zennik if he's not AFK or PM him on here?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

D34THROW posted:

Been doing that for me all day, it's probably down. Hop on the Mumble and look for Zennik if he's not AFK or PM him on here?

Yes, PMing me is effective, as my phone gets the emails.
It's back up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I just got on the goon server and there are some really cool ships at the station. Some of them have been shot to poo poo and look awesome with all the glowing internals poking out under bits of shattered hull.

AirborneNinja fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 2, 2013

• Locked thread