Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TacticalGranny posted:

Time for a trip report.

I started a new profile to use the wheel with, just in case things went horribly wrong (see above picture). Of course, the first thing I leveled up was ADR 3 - flammable liquids. :getin:

I was using a 360 controller before, and it worked pretty well. In my past experiences with driving games (read: racing games), I was typically faster with a controller than a large peripheral device. I think it's the 'twitch' factor - you can artificially lower your 'response' time by having very small movements of the digits that translate to large movements in the game, whereas with a wheel your gross movements simply take longer to perform the same actions.

After going through a few quick jobs to get the controls set up where they felt natural, I'm pleased to say that using the wheel rig only enhances the game. Since the premise of the game isn't based on raw speed and laser accurate control inputs, there is little to worry about when using the wheel - in fact, with more buttons, you can map more functions to your accessible controls (as long as you can remember where they are). The play experience is highly rewarding - in a game that can easily become monotonous, it helps to keep you more engaged and in the moment.

I can remember more than a few times in the last couple weeks where I would kind of zone out when using the 360 controller and end up crashing into something. I haven't yet experienced that while using the DFGT rig. My PC is hooked through HDMI to a 40" HDTV against a wall (~8-9 feet) and my only complaint is that I'm a bit too far away to read some of the fine print, but that's simply a matter of moving a chair.

tl;dr - Get a wheel, it's worth it.

How do you deal with looking around? Do you have the paddle shifters for that? I really am fighting my urge to get a $400 wheel setup (same tv setup as you) just to drive trucks. I just know I'll look back in 5 years and go "why did you do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Max eco driving should unlock the peterbilt 384 or 386. Hybrid trucking, what up.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

PopeOnARope posted:

This game is really loving fine happy. Sleeping? FINE. Lights? FINE. No lights? FINE. 140 the wrong way down an offramp? FINE.

Such bullshit.

It is almost as if a police officer is in the passenger seat.

This game needs random police speed traps and cb where trucks going the opposite way would radio it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Johnny Mash posted:

This roared out of nowhere and stopped to fog up my chrome:

I see Noob Saibot got his HGV.

Where is the driver?? :ohdear:
Was this taken after you took him around to the back of the truck and executed him?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

PureRok posted:

They should put those in normal cars to let idiots know they're changing lanes/turning without their goddamn blinker.

You mean like this thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eqaLw3s12I

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So apparently this came out yesterday on steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/256070/

I have no idea how it plays and really not interested in buying it. But thought it funny since many of you like to do truck racing in ets2 anyway.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 19, 2013

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I have an old set that included di.fm so I listen to a mix of stations from it while playing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, before they announced they were testing it on the Oculus, it was the first game that I felt like it would be a useful thing for this, particularly for checking the rear.

Usually I have to go by where the lane marking intersects the bottom of the windscreen to figure out if I'm safely in the lane.

I just use the side mirror. If the trailer is in the markings, then I must be too. If I'm not, well, the npc will stop and let me straddle the lane anyway.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It only has the opportunity to work so magnificently because the technology being demonstrated is so amazing. They're doing the stunt while backing up with trailers attached for Christ's teeth. I've never reversed anything bigger than an F-250 with a tongue-hitch stock trailer and I was loving floored.

Only one of them was an 18 wheeler. And of that, the box truck is the one that actually moved out for the split. Still impressive though since I'm positive reversing a trailer and keeping it straight for extended time isn't easy.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

alex314 posted:

So how can I fly at 150 through winding roads? Only mods?

Look in your options. There should be a checkbox to remove the speed governor.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

HardDisk posted:

Also, I think this is a good time as any to say that SCS also has their own bus driving simulation. I think this is pretty fun as well.

Didn't they post up on a blog a few months back showing off a bus in the ets2 engine? I thought it was hinting at a new version in the works unless that is what this is.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

HardDisk posted:

The game is old as hell (it doesn't even list Windows Vista as a possible platform), so I don't think it's related.

Yeah, a new version in the works.

http://blog.scssoft.com/2013/03/stuff-we-are-working-on-too.html

Apparently they grabbed the domain eurocoachsimulator.com as well. However, that is some terrible hit grab site right now, so I dunno.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So I finally found my gamepad in a random box, hooked it up, and reconfigured ets2 for gamepad use. Never again. The steering is way off compared to mouse steering. I was hoping for relaxing since I clamp on the mouse a bit. Instead, I fight for 30 minutes trying to park the trailer because the steering just isn't 1:1 to the controller. Turns in general are a gamble as the steering is slow to turn even when I jam the stick all the way to the left or right.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

alex314 posted:

I'm lucky to have Logitech G25 I've bought a while ago. Clutch + 6 speed manual gives amazing immersion. So far I've spend more time trucking than combined Grid and GT5 racing, there's something wrong with me :clint:

Now you need an oculus rift and drive while drunk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMT98U_iilY&t=278s

Seriously, I'll most likely be getting a rift when it hits retail along with grabbing a wheel. I just know it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

alex314 posted:

That's seriously amazing! Too bad it looks like rift's resolution prevents you from reading a lot of info. I've did similar test with GT5 on a party, and the difference in driving while drinking is staggering.

The dev kits are low res. The supposed consumer models would have higher res. Won't know till they arrive though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

ShootaBoy posted:

So, I just had to drive a load of tomatoes from Luxembourg to Lyon through a torrential thunderstorm with a glitched out wiper.

Bombing through the twisty french roads at 125 Kmph in the middle of the night in a massive storm when you can't see poo poo is equal parts :gonk: and :black101:

I hope they add the ability to lean out the window looking forward with the rift.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Kilonum posted:

my favorite comment from the Gizmodo article on it:

That immersion breaks at 1:45. You'll see a driver push one of the parked trailers trying to get his in. Still cool though.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

hopterque posted:

It's really really loving dumb and annoying. Like even if you don't inch as far forward as possible if you're the first car at a light enjoy craning your loving neck to try and get a good look. The american system is so much better, you just look straight ahead like you normally would.

You've been in nice places for traffic lights then. Out here, there are a few lights where the line and lights are placed too close together. I've had one where I stopped where I was supposed to and had to crane my head forward and up to see the light.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
You know those giant hauling dump trucks in mines? Lets move one on a big rig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlNVNA9xM5M

I wonder how that tanker truck about midway through the video feels about what he is hauling as this thing passed by.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

For me, I think the main reason I enjoy the game is simple enough: I enjoy driving. But I don't have the time or money to just drive wherever I want to go. Euro Truck Simulator 2 lets me drive through pretty scenery,

This really for me. Bonus in that if I stop to look or in some way would have caused an incident in real life, it is just pixels here.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

All I know is either that guy is facing the wrong direction, or that truck is from the future.

Because of that angle, I keep thinking the drat truck is articulated like one of the old steam locomotives. Ie, the front is turning while the cap floats pointing where it was going.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Especially since the game has been on sale for :10bux: a few times.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Oh, this is more MMO-ish then. I thought it was going to be some private 4 player mp setup. Not some 2k+ mm type gaming.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Captain Novolin posted:

You have to go to a garage/repair place to get them, you can't get them from the dealer menu. If you could I'd have a fleet full of flaming skulls.

Ets3 needs to have your AI trucks showing up while driving just so we can admire all these paints.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, kind of trucking related, but there are people that went beyond video game trucking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdykhMtOHoE

The focus is sadly on the forklifts in this video which is pretty impressive. However, as seen at the start, there are people operating those trucks into those spots as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

The one thing that makes me think twice about getting a wheel is that I don't really have a good space to mount it. I'd have to clamp some kind of an addition onto my desk to have the space for a mount there, which is a lovely solution. So I'd probably be better off buying one of those separate wheel-stand things. But getting a wheel-stand feels like I'm starting to edge into the "well, why don't I just get a loving playseat and set up a proper cockpit" area and that way lies madness.

The jarring part will be you doing this and it all set up for racers while you climb in to drive a big rig. I'd love to do a wheel and the rift though. That should be amazing.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fina posted:

The beta patch has this though :
- Speed cameras now use truck speed limit

The worst update.

I wish they'd smooth out the speed limits. There is some place where the speed limit goes from like 130 to 70 with a speed camera right there to catch you even if you lay on the brakes as soon as you see the 70 sign you'll still blow through the camera.

It also kills me how enemy cars just immediately throw on the breaks as they pass a speed sign instead of slowing down to the new limit. It's the cause of much rear ending. One time I rear ended some enemy car so hard that it flipped over my cab and landed behind me.

Also I don't know exactly how traffic lights work across Europe, so maybe they work accurately as-is but I wish they'd prioritize traffic instead of just flipping every 30 seconds. I get really annoyed driving through cities when I have to sit through every light even though its like 3am and there isn't another car on the road anywhere.

I dunno, you are describing everything around here in my area of the US. Cars stomping on the brakes when a new speed sign shows up, lights that are not synched or follow traffic, speed traps with a cop watching (even better, the speed change happens halfway down a hill just so you can burn up your brake pads while the cop watches in glee).

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

"i SAID 'oversized load'" :mad:

I like the jogger comes up, witness what happens and immediately turns around to jog the other way as if nothing happened.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

hatesfreedom posted:

Speaking of Farming Simulator, if you're playing that check out the CoursePlay mod which pretty much allows you to create farming scripts so all your farmers can farm with only you telling them what to do.

http://courseplay.github.io/courseplay/en/

Off topic I know. Had a lot of fun with FS though.

hah, I'm about to do that to my farm. Harvest time is a pain. And I'm still doing the relatively easy mode by doing cereals. You pretty much need courseplay for doing corn chopping.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, since we have been doing random sim games of late:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/289930

Never heard of the dev or publisher before, but then again, until I heard of ets2, I hadn't heard of scs either. I'll wait for others to try it first on release day, but it looks like ets2 of the high seas. Kind of worried it doesn't have a price tag when the game is to be released in just a few days.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Shame on transocean. Perhaps some dlc/updates will give it that little breath to get it really going. Thanks for the review though!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

The best part is realizing that the trailer is completely uneconomical. The first time some forklift driver bumps the walls is when walmart realizes a distinct issue with doing carbon fiber trailers.

That, or one night while parked, some enterprising people cut out a chunk to use as a replacement for the hood of their car.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Skwee posted:

yes i am very excited for this.

loving logging oh man

(totally serious i loving want that poo poo)

I hope we can cut down any trees we want. Also what about planting trees?

I kind of want to pre-order it because 10% off, but i also kind of want to hear from other people..

e: was just looking at the equipment and there is a tree planting machine/trailer. Also there is a stump grinding tool

there is a mobile chipper

there is a high pressure washer, i wonder if poo poo will get dirty as a built-in feature now?

there is 3 different brands of chain saws, which is pretty cool I guess, but who wants to use a chain saw when you can use the motherfuckin' ponsse scorpionking?!

Giants has said all trees (or at least, most of them) are up for grabs to be cut. All three chainsaws are apparently the same in functionality so it is more a choice of brand. The reason they exist is kind of a "daddy's first step into the world of professional logging." Similar to how there is a small tractor mounted harvester for beets and potatoes.

as for dirty skins and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiBqK1RBic

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Devian666 posted:

Looks like I've missed the last couple of trailers. 12 hours or less until the unlock. Hoping it gets unlocked early so I can go broke buying the wrong logging equipment.

Well, an update after looking over at fs-uk. It appears the scorpion can only handle pine. You can still cut up the other trees around the farm using the chainsaw. Either way, I'm just glad there is a way to remove annoying tree decorations that inhibit workers from turning around.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Techno Remix posted:

This game is a great outlet for doing things you shouldn't be doing while driving on the real road. I once rear ended another semi because I looked down to answer my phone. I also fell asleep in the real world while playing once (only for like, a minute or two) but it was enough to go completely off the road. Haven't tried drinking and sim-driving but knowing how much of a lightweight I am, I doubt it's going to end well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMT98U_iilY

From earlier in this thread.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Skwee posted:

I honestly drink and sim drive all the time and nothing bad happens. Including drinking and sim-farming. Doesn't mean I am gonna do it in real life however.

although.. "bad" things may be a bit distorted in the virtual world of truck driving and farming simulators when it comes to crashing or also being drunk and not giving a poo poo that you just slammed into a toll gate at 90 km/h (90 km/h lol)

There is also the fact in sim farm where you can tip a trailer sideways from going too fast, but the contents not spilling out onto the road/field/wherever it happened.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Sure, it may look like they should have turned the trucks around on the trailer to be more realistic.

But I think they've slipped up and prematurely revealed assets from the new Combat Truck Simulator:

Hope you can put lights on the other cabins.

Here in the US, we do it this way:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2c/HuckepackCrop.JPG

Who needs a trailer when you have that many free wheels. I think I've seen more than just two in tow before as well.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Englishman alone posted:

I played it a lot when I was learning to drive I do think it helped. As it got into the zen of driving from checking the mirrors to insuring your not cutting corners at junctions and following traffic laws.

And a roadway respect for the trucks on the road.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is the oculus binocular? or is it a single display?

Bino. One screen per eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

TSM and Glide don't get along too well.

wait, ets2 supports Glide??? How old is this engine?

• Locked thread