Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally beat ToME4 and started playing Bionic Dues. I was kind of wary because of AVWW, but this is actually really good. It takes some elements from AI War and then builds a roguelike around them.

I do wish there were a better way to identify terminals, though. You just have to walk up and hack it and hope that it's "restores all hacking points" or something and not "it loving explodes and destroys your science exo" or "all bots are hasted forever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Now that I've played it a bit more, it's fun, but I don't think I can play it in long stretches the way I can ToME4. There just isn't enough variety - in missions, in map layout, in terrain aesthetics, in enemies, or in the abilities of your exos - so it gets very same-y. I also find myself spending more time between missions adjusting my exo loadouts than I do in the missions themselves; at the same time, few items let you do new things or enable new tactics, they just make you better at what you're already doing.

Expansions adding more variation in enemy and mission types, and in what your exos can do, would be especially welcome.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

I keep asking if any other games have a similar character creation/building mechanic and as far as I can tell there aren't any :argh:

ToME4 has the unlockable "Adventurer" class, which is basically "pick any seven skill trees from any classes in the game". It's a postgame loving-around class, though, which means very little effort has gone into balancing the skill trees against each other.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You mean this? It doesn't actually disable them, but it gives you a "do you want to fight this party y/n" dialog every time you encounter them.

Highly recommend the ZOmnibus pack that that's a part of, it's just a bunch of small quality of life improvements.

The Zigot/Adventurer parties aren't a big deal because they generally don't chase after you, but the Orc parties are an enormous pain in the rear end because they psychically know where you are and will hunt you down wherever you go. And the loot isn't nearly as good for their depth as the wandering encounters in the West are.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Social Animal posted:

Got to floor 15 on Rogue 5.4.5 (whatever is in the standard Fedora repo, I believe it's the latest) before getting wrecked by a black unicorn. Been playing since I was a kid and I just don't see how it's possible to win. I didn't even see a single weapon drop the whole game. Anyways who has won and in what version? Are you supposed to make a sprint for the amulet once you reach a certain floor? I can't imagine sticking around for gryphons or dragons. I used to play the IBM version growing up and that one has a few different monsters (no ice monsters for that permafreeze) plus only one kind of identify scroll.

Rogue as in the original? :drat:

I'm not sure anyone else here plays it, although it wouldn't surprise me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Are there any roguelikes with class and ability design like TOME's but, uh, better optimized? I love TOME but I'm getting to the point where I'm often just not willing to put up with framerate stuttering and constantly worsening performance the longer the client runs in an ASCII game of all things.

I'm not sure how ToME counts as "an ASCII game".

I note that 1.2.0 introduced some pretty serious memory leaks which I think are all fixed as of 1.2.2; update to that and turn off all the fancy graphical effects like shaders and see if things improve.

As for other games like it, I've got nothing. ToME's class design and "death to consumables" philosophy are pretty unusual.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Well, piping it to a ramdisk is the responsible thing to do in case you need to report a bug but not dealing with it at all is a much better experience for the end user. As far as I know you can only disable logging at compile time.

Most of the logging happens in lua. Using print(), no less, rather than any sort of actual logging API. Jesus.

You don't need to recompile to disable it; just edit bootstrap/boot.lua, and at the start of the file add:

code:
function print() end
This won't get everything -- you'll still see some log output from C -- but based on some quick testing it cuts log output by ~80% or so, probably more over an extended play session where most of the action is happening in lua.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

And to round out the trifecta --

Helical Nightmares posted:

Edit: what is the consensus on Eldritch? Good/bad?

Meh. It's not terrible but I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, I got ~$1 of entertainment out of it, which is all I paid, but you have to weigh that against the opportunity cost of playing other, much better games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

My biggest problem with these is that Doom / Heretic / Hexen feel 100x better, and have so much unplayed high quality content that a roguelike FPS would really have to break the mold to have any kind of staying power.

e: Hell, I'd rather just have a wad randomizer and some kind of mod that fakes weapon progression. You're going to get crazy unbalanced content, but at least the encounters aren't "monsters in a room".

War of Attrition is basically that for Duke Nukem 3d and is some of the most fun I've had in any 2.5D FPS; as you do damage with a weapon, it levels up and gains additional effects and firing modes. Every ten weapon levels, Duke gains a new ability, and as you gain weapon levels the enemies ramp up along with you. It has one mode where you play through the original game levels, and win by completing the game, and one where you play through random fan-made levels, and win by reaching a certain score and then clearing a boss level.

Doom of Attrition or Heretic of Attrition would be pretty amazing. (I suspect Hexen is unsalvageable.)

E: oh hey, looks like a new version was released earlier this year

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 17, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

I saw this previewed on RPS and immediately tried to forget it existed, because it looks like the kind of game I wanted FTL to be, and I want it to be released in perfect 1.0 status right now.

Likewise. I'm pretty excited for both this and Rodina, although the latter is even less a roguelike than FTL is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

If I could get a refinement on Dredmor's skill system in a game that isn't otherwise all style and no substance I'd probably play the poo poo out of it for a while.

Ditto. So far the closest I've seen to that is ToME's Adventurer mode, but it's not quite the same thing and also completely destroys the game balance (being an unlockable post-game option).

Unormal posted:

The little engine for a CoQ sequel/fantasy roguelike I've been toying with uses a Dreadmore-inspired skill system, since I really like the fundamental combinatorial idea. It sort of takes the lots-of-small-mutations-in-various-combinations style of Qud to the next level. I expect early beta in about 2350 AD.

Wait, does this mean that Qud is done, or do you just have more ideas than there are hours in the day to implement them?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SageAcrin posted:

I think it's more complicated than that. It's literally a genre interpretation split.

Nethack and ADOM are borderline puzzle games. Rather bad ones, to be as close to objective as possible; They have a lot of the Sierra style of "Didn't know to do X? gently caress you die.". I have seen very, very little modern defense of that. Or, for that matter, defense of it at the time.

In Nethack, at least, the historical justification is explore mode. You're expected to play on explore mode at first, where death is not permanent; once you think you have a good handle on the game -- i.e. once you are confident you can "solve the puzzle" without making any fatal mistakes -- you turn off explore mode and try to get on the high score list.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 13, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Not really, I don't think. To the extent that Nethack was designed at all you're definitely supposed to figure it out yourself. Nethack isn't really a puzzle game, it's an adventure game with a ridiculously, almost unplayably difficult RPG bolted onto it. It's a very interesting concept that could probably work in the hands of someone competent enough but Nethack was designed by committee by programmers over like a decade, sooooo....

Nothing I said contradicts that, though? :confused:

AceRimmer posted:

So any good "modern setting" roguelikes with guns besides LCS/Catacylsm? (besides DoomRL)

Caves of Qud, although I always hesitate to recommend it because it's (a) windows only and (b) unfinished.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potsticker posted:

In 2014, allowing a gender choice is still pretty progressive for roguelikes.

What? Nethack had "pick your character's gender" back in 1987.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

..btt posted:

Regarding the adom thing, do you realise shop keepers are racist as well as sexist? Does this bother you? Not a loaded question, I'm genuinely interested.

Roguelike shopkeepers are traditionally enormous assholes, so this seems entirely in character.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

You guys are welcome to use the latest private Beta of Caves of Qud: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vlkzatq58yqkdl5/AAAybqz-6WaBp4NxZysLq2A8a?dl=0

:toot:

Time to see if it works in Wine

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

:toot:

Time to see if it works in Wine

Caves on Qud on linux report: mostly works.

There are a bunch of obvious things that don't work:
- running it with mono: it tries to load opengl32.dll (?!) and dies
- running it with mono in console mode: tries to use features in System.Console that mono doesn't implement
- running it in wine: can't find the windows mono install and dies
- running it in wine after installing mono by hand: ditto

This is what did work:
code:
# We need WINEARCH because .NET 2 doesn't work on 64-bit systems
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet20
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 WINEARCH=win32 wine XRL.exe
The reason I say it "mostly" works is that in openGL mode, the fonts are jagged and ugly, and in console mode, it can't seem to get the console size right and the edges of the screen are constantly appearing, disappearing, and being temporarily replaced with scrollbars. But it's playable.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

John Lee posted:

IVAN isn't updating, but CLIVAN is. Kind of the Stone Soup of IVAN, although... not as interested in fairness or balance, as these are antithetical to the nature of IVAN.

I noticed IVAN 3D on the wiki. How well does that work?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Potsticker posted:

Names in roguelikes are kind of weird. They are good identifiers for characters, but have a very roleplaying background to them. LiKe my Crawl score list is full of duplicate names, which only usually get changed when I'm using a different race/build. It helps with ghost ability identifying in practice, at least. But how important is each individual character? If I don't make it very far in a game where I have to start all over from the beginning every time it gets rough thinking of a new name every time. Especialky since I'm not the sort that can live with Bob, Boba, Bobb, Bobc, et cetera.

I just number my characters.

My first ToME winner was Number 70, and #102 tops the high score list in Dungeons of Dredmor.

It's not like most of them will live long enough to be worthy of a name :unsmigghh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ah! I was using 'wait until healed' which made the character wait so long the ice frog took a turn and froze me again. The wait command allowed me to thaw then kill the frog.

Feature suggestion: "wait until healed" should behave like it does in (for example) ToME and wait for a single turn if you are currently in combat.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Congrats! May riches and accolades flow your way.

Now get back to work on Qud :whip:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Geokinesis posted:

Clearly you should now invest in graphical tiles for CoQ!

Not gonna lie, I would buy a graphical, linux native CoQ. Sproggiwood looks nice and all but good SF roguelikes are drat rare.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm enjoying Teleglitch, but I have a warning for anyone else who just picked it up:

:frogsiren: Unlike pretty much every other roguelike, Teleglitch does not have mid-level saves. :frogsiren: If you "Save and Quit" between levels, you're fine, but if you quit in mid-level it will immediately and without warning nuke your save.

So if you're having a good run and need to leave the house or go to bed or something, don't do what I did. Just...leave it running in the background for hours, I guess.

Apart from that, and the fact that it's violently, hideously ugly, and the fact that I can't shake the feeling that it would be more fun as a gzDoom mod rather than a top-down shooter, it's pretty fun, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm fine with rough, pixelly graphics as a style decision, but I kinda think it doesn't even look good compared to other games in the same style. They could've put more effort into the UI, at least.

The UI is actually the only part of it I like.

The in-game UI, I mean. The menus that you can't operate with the keyboard and have no graphical distinction between usable or not are a bit poo poo. But not as poo poo as the graphics.

The biggest problem I have is that it's impossible to tell what an item is without mousing over it and enemies are hard-to-differentiate blobs of pixels that bear zero resemblance to their portraits on the monster info screen. That and the fact that it combines the graphical resolution of an NES with the artistic variation of Quake II. And that the aiming line isn't actually accurate.

Ok, I have a bunch of problems with it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

Does it lock behind you? Please tell me it does.

No, monsters can open doors, the manouver looks stylish but is actively harmful because it breaks your line of fire.

You know what I love in Teleglitch? When you open a secret area and, instead of containing items, it contains three bosses that you haven't even fought normally yet armed with miniguns.

I think I'm done with Teleglitch.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^^ That's why the thread has been discussing Teleglitch non stop for several pages.

mr.capps posted:

Yeah, I mentioned running into it above and easily spotted and avoided it the next time I played. And even if you somehow accidentally ended up fighting them again you can always run away.

...no you can't, the doors lock. Believe me, I tried to run away, since I only had one Panzerfaust AP and no ability to make more.

Apart from that, I just feel like I've hit a wall. I'm consistently dying on level 3 or 4 without feeling like I'm getting any better at it, making it any further, or unlocking any new lore/recipes/etc. And the game is full of enough niggling annoyances like the aiming line being wrong, or the graphics, or the lack of mid-level saves, that I'm not as willing to keep playing in the face of that as I might otherwise be.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Brought To You By posted:

Are there any good Roguelikes that have a first person perspective? I've seen Delver and Eldritch but are there any good first person dungeon crawlers out there?

madjackmcmad posted:

Heroes of a Broken Land!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314470/

Can personally attest to the fun contained therein. Random world, towns, dungeons. Multi-party exploration. Good times!

I never played the old-school Wizardry/M&M style games, or the newer ones like Grimrock, but this looks kinda interesting.

That said, I would love a good FPS, not FPP, roguelike. Eldritch didn't really do anything for me and I haven't heard much good about the other ones I've looked at either. Ziggurat and Tower of Guns look like they have potential but I'm kind of cautious now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

It's all outdoors, but Sir, You Are Being Hunted bears some key features of roguelikes, but I would not pay full price for it, as I don't find it terribly satisfying. They've said they're going to implement multiplayer sometime next year, which might make it more fun, especially since you can now futz about with the world generator and robot population settings.

I hated Sir, You Are Being Hunted. Turns out I like slow-paced stealth a lot more when it's in intricate buildings a la Thief and not so much when it's in huge open fields randomly dotted with featureless cubes textured as houses.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Receiver is older but quite good.

I have Receiver but it didn't really grab me. There's very little variety and it's balls hard.

SpruceZeus posted:

Ziggurat's decent, kind Hexenish kind of thing. A single playthrough is a little on the long side, and the various characters don't feel /super/ distinct but the combat's pretty good and there's some interesting weapons.

"Kind of Hexenish" is not really a selling point since Hexen was really, really bad. One weapon per character per episode (and they all suck) and the levels are all huge key/switch mazes, except the key or switch might actually be for a completely different level (that you may even have already explored, but now it's different! Good luck finding out where!) I'm not really much of a fan of the whole Doom/Hexen/Heretic line in general, but Hexen was definitely* the worst.

If you just mean the overall aesthetic, physics, etc, it's a bit more interesting.

* Please do not suggest other Doom-engine games that are even worse than Hexen to prove me wrong.

quote:

Tower of Guns is really good. Cave Story-style experience system to level up your guns, (you pick one at the start of your run and sometimes if you're lucky you'll find another gun hidden while you're playing,) enemies are mostly stationary turrets that just vomit out insane quantities of bullets, so the focus is really on movement more than anything. [...]

This, on the other hand, sounds very up my alley.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So I tried out Tower of Guns and it's pretty fun. The rocket launcher is definitely my favourite weapon so far, it completely wrecks most bosses. I had a promising run end on the level after the Battlements (Logistics?), though, when I ran into a seemingly immortal enemy -- my first rocket brought it down to flashing red health and then the next twelve did nothing and eventually it wore me down. What was I doing wrong?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Protip for people playing Tower of Guns: when you complete Sanctum, there are two elevators. The one you can see when you enter the room wins the game. The one at the back of the room takes you to the secret final bullshit boss. Dying to this boss does not count as a win and doesn't unlock anything that normally unlocks on a win.

Before taking on the secret boss, you will need a way of crossing large fields of lava (the All-Access Pass or a fully upgraded Motivator are good ideas here) and a great deal of confidence in your asskicking ability.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I remember liking it at the time but perhaps it didn't age well. Games were full of stupid bullshit in 1994.

If you only played the demo, that was front-loaded with the only good parts of the game, so that's probably a large part of it.

It doesn't fare any better if you only compare it to its contemporaries, either; by 1994 we had, off the top of my head, System Shock, Marathon, Pathways into Darkness, Doom 1 and 2, and Heretic, all of which thoroughly kick the poo poo out of Hexen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

What the gently caress, I did not know that DoomRL had cursed items :psyduck: RIP my first Ammochain marine, it was starting to look like he might be my first HNTR win but if I can win with this thing shackled to me it'll be a goddamn miracle.

Spoilers in case anyone doesn't want advance warning about this.

The Cybernetic Armour has great stats at the cost of a movespeed penalty, but cannot ever be removed. It does not self-repair, but also can't ever be fully destroyed. So once it gets down to 0% durability, you have a movespeed penalty, no armour, and can't take it off to replace it with something that isn't actively harmful.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

madjackmcmad posted:

Or it's in development and the dude isn't ready to show it off yet?

Personally I would much rather seen AliensRL and especially DiabloRL finished than a 3d remake of DoomRL that won't run on my laptop anyways.

But both of those projects have been abandoned for years and I've given up hope that he'll ever release the source code :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

AFAIK the Cybernetic Armour is the only item in the entire game that does that, and I don't feel bad about not putting it in spoilers because it really is kind of a bullshit item that seems out of place with most of the game's design ethos.

If you can put points in Tough as Nails, that'll help you greatly. Ammochain Marines are absurdly lethal so if you're lucky, pick your fights, and have overwhelming firepower you might actually still be able to win that. Fingers crossed.

I was not able to win that.

I decided to drown my sorrows by rolling up an Angel of Berserk and bump attacking things until I died. I finally saved and quit sometime after midnight as I was entering the Lava Pits. This is not only the best Angel of Berserk run I've had, but the best HNTR character of any kind. :stare: I skipped Hell's Arena and the Spider's Lair, and (obviously) The Wall and The Vaults, but on the other hand I cleared the Abyssal Plains, the Unholy Cathedral, and the Mortuary for the first time ever. I'm now cruising around with the Lance of Longinus and Red Cybernano Armour -- the Angelic Armour doesn't appear to be indestructable, so that's in reserve until the final boss.

I kind of screwed up skill allocation, not realizing that Hellrunner blocks Vampire, but Hellrunner is really drat good anyways, so I don't mind too much. Gottagofast :getin:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Cybernano armour cannot be removed AFAIK, which is unfortunate because Longinus + Angelic is the second best item set in the whole game; the armour's protection value increases to like 11 so it barely loses any durability anyway since it gives zero fucks about 95% of all attacks :shobon: cybernano is loving nuts though so no huge loss.

Oh, it can't be? Bummer. I mean, Red Cybernano is bonkers good so I'm not exactly complaining, but the Angelic Armour is even better and I like the mental image of showing up for the final battle decked out in a glowing heavenly arsenal.

The issue I was having with the Angelic Armour is that even at AC 11 it was taking a beating, and was down to 75% by the time I finished the level after the Mortuary. Since I can't mod it and can't rely on finding armour shards, I figured I'd stuff in it my backpack until the final boss and turn this red armour I just found into Cybernano until then.

quote:

Berserker characters are amazing. They're hell to get off the ground sometimes, but once they get rolling, holy ungodly gently caress do they ever roll. There's very little more satisfying than wading through all the gunfire and hellfire in a victorious tide of bloody hand-to-hand carnage :black101:

Yeah, this is the first melee character I've had get anywhere and it is definitely the most :black101: game of DoomRL I've ever had. I'm kind of tempted, once I finish this, to immediately start another AoB game on Hurt Me Plenty.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:frogsiren: YAAP: Angel of Berserk on Hey, Not Too Rough.

pre:
 ToxicFrog, level 11 Cacodemon Sergeant Major Marine,
 defeated the Mastermind at the City of Dis.
 He survived 87666 turns and scored 109221 points. 
 He played for 2 hours, 26 minutes and 32 seconds. 
 He didn't like it too rough.

He killed 701 out of 733 hellspawn. (95%)
 He held his right to remain violent.
 He was an Angel of Berserk!

-- Awards ----------------------------------------------------

Mastermind's Brain
  Grim Reaper's Badge
  Hell Armorer Badge
  Armorer Silver Badge
  Reaper Silver Badge
  Reaper Gold Badge
  Berserker Silver Badge
  Longinus Gold Badge
Full post-game report. Among other things this is my first HNTR win, my first Angel win of any kind, and my first time clearing the Mortuary or the Unholy Cathedral.

SageAcrin posted:

(Cybernetic Cybernano is funny but you aren't getting that outside of Ao100 or Ao666.)

I've gotten Cybernano armour in normal games before -- I did in this AoB run, in fact. Never as a Technician, but I mostly play Marine in the first place. Getting both Nano and Onyx packs in normal games isn't common but it's not unheard of either.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Honestly I prefer it without tiles, because you can see the whole level at once without having to scroll around.

I don't generally find that an issue because your sight radius is never going to be large enough to cover the whole screen, and the minimap does a decent job of showing you where the stairs and suchlike are. On the other hand, text mode is a true tty mode, not text-tiles-in-a-fake-terminal like in Caves of Qud or Dwarf Fortress, and is thus playable over ssh. (I'm actually toying with the idea of setting up a public DoomRL server with personal save and configuration files but a shared high score list, a la nethack.alt.org but for DoomRL.)

That said, a lot of stuff apart from tiles has been added in the last few versions. Off the top of my head, this includes:
  • All 3 episodes/24 levels, with their bosses
  • A shitload of additional secret levels, mostly alternate versions that can appear instead of the old ones
  • All Doom 1 & 2 enemies and weapons
  • Another shitload of additional rare and unique equipment and assemblies
  • Character classes
  • Five unique Master Traits per character class
  • More Angel challenges, and Dual Angel (two Angel challenges at once) and Archangel (because you're too masochistic for plain Angel or Dual Angel) modes
  • Modding support

Oh, and Shottyman now gets you free reloads on rocket launchers as well :getin:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please, please, please tell me that it's possible for your hypothetical server to allow spectating like on the Dungeon Crawl servers.

That's actually something I was just looking into (I've never played Crawl, but NAO also supports spectation) and it looks like it should be possible to do both spectation, and recording games for later playback, using tmux's pipe-pane command.

In other, less happy news, it looks like doomRL's WADs are not compatible across architectures (they contain precompiled LuaVM bytecode), and neither are its save files (:wtf:).

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 8, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Aside from Ao100/666 runs and really careful high-difficulty runs, the save file thing at least is probably not a huge problem. You can finish the game in one sitting.

Spoken like someone who does not have a six-month-old child. :v:

(That said, my actual use case is "I'm tired of playing on the desktop, I want to save my game, curl up in bed, and then play a few more levels on the laptop before sleeping". I have solved this for now by playing gzDoom with DoomRL Arsenal on the desktop instead.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Mine's two years old :shobon:

I generally only get to play DoomRL when she's in bed or feeling chill enough to sit on my lap and point happily at the DoomRL icon ("SKULL!!") on the taskbar. She likes skulls.

:kimchi:

Mine's still at the flailing-at-the-keyboard stage, so his gaming is limited to Beep (a tiny game my dad wrote for me when I was his age that rewards being flailed at) and Kerbal Space Program (I load up a rocket and his flailing is pretty likely to hit spacebar, which results in things happening, which he seems to enjoy).

As for the DoomRL server, I think I've figured out all the design bits and none of it is terribly complicated. I have a pretty busy weekend so no telling when I'll have enough written to bring up a test server, though.

For recording I've realized I don't want tmux, I want the same thing NAO uses -- ttyrec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please, please, please tell me that it's possible for your hypothetical server to allow spectating like on the Dungeon Crawl servers.

Spectation and game recording for later viewing are both working. :science: I may be able to release this next week if the open source guys at work are responsive.