Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Simstim posted:

Isn't Ryan Murphy more involved this season compared to previous seasons of American Horror Story?

That has me worried because Glee is terrible.

Not only that, but his writing has certain patterns that are easy to detect if you've watched any of his in the past. The most glaring of which is the fact that no LGBT person will ever be anything other than a mary sue version of himself (Kurt, Lana, Zach Quinto's character in S1 AHS).

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Not sure you have the firmest grasp on what a Mary Sue is.

Maybe Mary Sue was the wrong term to use. But they are almost always idealized, nigh-perfect characters who undergo persecution and hardships but eventually wind up victorious in the end. Kurt as a bullied gay male who is talented at everything he does (talented enough to begin writing for an NYC upscale fashion magazine on the spot), Lana as a persecuted gay woman in the 60's who escapes an insane asylum and becomes a talented journalist (world-famous and rich in the present day), ect.

Don't get me wrong- I enjoy the greater representation as a member of the gay community myself, but the way he writes certain character archetypes is getting a bit stale and the gay thing is just the one example off the top of my head.

quote:

I just hope the story doesn't build itself up so high it just topples over, like Asylum did.

And since they have a single, centralized idea this time (seemingly,) I think it won't.

Even though it did have a bit of a disappointing ending wherein little was explained, I still found Asylum to be absolutely fantastic. I really love the "Tales from the Crypt" feel AHS has going on. I heard that this season might be a bit lighter in tone, which will probably do it wonders. And witches are awesome.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 11, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Neither Lana nor Quinto's S1 character were portrayed as perfect by a long shot, and while Lana emerged victorious, I don't really see how that was enough of a trope to make it unsatisfying. I gave up on Glee so long ago that I'll just take your word for it on Kurt.

I was actually rooting for Lana the whole time, too. She was interesting as a character. But I guess I'd just like to see him write other kinds of characters with different personality types than what we've come to expect from him.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Stabitha posted:

There's a little preview clip of the season in this E! article.

http://www.eonline.com/news/460920/...book-na-eonline

This looks fantastic. As a kid who grew up with Harry Potter & Buffy, I've always had a soft spot for witchcraft stories and I'm so freaking excited it's ridiculous.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I think this is going to be a hugely watched premiere. Like, it's insane how many people are excited for this.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm already liking this Madison chick.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Taliaquin posted:

Watched it a day behind. Calling it now: Nan is going to be the next Supreme. I just think it's going to happen. Fiona will, of course, die because she's obsessed with immortality, and Nan will be recognized as far, far more powerful than people thought, as Fiona even suggests in this episode.

I'm so glad someone else is calling it too. I caught on as soon as the scene at the museum happened.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Rapdawg posted:

The thing that made me most happy was that we got some Voodooin this season because honestly I'm happy that the only mention of it won't just be a single witch. Someone I was watching it with thought there would be controversy about "the black characters having Voodoo" which we both agreed was stupid because its their own witch heritage. Brooms, covens, and loving black hats? That is generally sort of white people witchcraft based on Europe while Voodoo is an awesome mix of African Religion, Christianity, and many many other things. I'm very happy and really hoping they don't turn it into Voodoo vs. Witchcraft because even if that would be cool it could easy be seen as White Witches vs. Black Witches.

Actually, that is literally what they are going for. Murphy said a big theme of the season is going to be racial tensions/race differences and one of them is voodoo magic vs. "witchcraft" magic. Also, Marie Laveau is going to be mighty pissed off that Jessica Lange raised Lalaurie and that is what starts the feud.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm loving the wild chemistry between Zoe and Misty (and Evan Peters?).

Also, this is a stupid aside and just a random thing I noticed, but that's probably the first time I heard anyone ever use the "N" word on primetime TV without it being bleeped out.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 17, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

I'm trying not to read the reactions, but did anyone else have any reception problems tonight? I haven't been able to watch the episode yet because FX HD is constantly glitching out and freezing for a couple of seconds (Time Warner in NYC).

YES! I thought for sure this was my cable at first. Good to see nothing is wrong (with the cable, at least).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

They don't seem to be doing a whole lot of schooling.

Yeah, I'm kinda confused as to when the educating/"teaching them how to use their powers" part is happening? I'm assuming maybe off-camera, but given what we've seen, it's more of a place for them to stay while they run around and do whatever the hell they want, with the Big Mommy Witches cleaning up the mess after.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Midnight City posted:

I'm loving it, but need to ask before getting my hopes ups, does all of this weird poo poo actually get a coherent explanation in the end? Or am I just walking into another Lost catastrophe?

Still binging just wanting to go into this with the right mind for it.

Yes for the first season (with the exception of one cliffhanger), "kinda" for the second season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
If I even look half as good as Jessica Lange at that age, I'll consider my life a huge success.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That scene with Violet, crazy Kesha witch and zombie Evan Peters was cute in a supremely weird way. I'm really liking the characters here. They have lots of chemistry.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This episode seriously surpassed almost all of last season in terms of disturbingness.

A season which included gay reparation therapy, human skin furniture, and a coat hanger abortion.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

Would they really do that? It's a very insulting/homophobic way of looking at gay men, that they are "female on the inside." I would be incredibly disappointed if they actually went with that.

They could just say "those who are connected with the feminine side of the Universe" or some other such thing- or, hell, just not even address it at all. Like, 99% of male Wiccans I've encountered in real life are gay, so I don't think it's that much of a stretch. I realize that gay doesn't equal feminine in the least, but there is definitely a cultural connotation between the two and witchcraft has traditionally been about liberating the underdog from "The [heterosexual, right-wing Christian] Man" so it fits.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 1, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Never saw Murder House or Asylum, but loving this show so far. I intend to go back and watch the others, but next season better be American Horror Story: Cthulhu.

I would love to have either "AHS: New England Cthulu Cult" or "AHS: Wild West Banshee Cowboys". Seasons 5 and 6, respectively?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My favorite Ryan Murphy moment is in Murder House where after the commercial break there's a totally pointless scene of a gay guy being murdered in the 70s and then it cuts to the modern day and it's the tour guide for the murder tour telling that story before going on to the actual Murder House story.

My favorite was the ridiculously hamfisted "THERE ARE NO STATISTICS TO SUGGEST GAY PEOPLE ARE WORSE PARENTS THAN STRAIGHT ONES" line that was flung at Jessica Lange by Zachary Quinto. It was just so out of place in the scene that it was almost jarring. Almost like Murphy forgot that it wasn't Glee but still wanted to shove in some sort of pro-gay message- which is commendable, but not when it's so obvious as to be jarring/PSA-ish.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Xenogenesis posted:

I may be wrong since I haven't watched Asylum since it aired, but couldn't that have been related to the conversion therapy he just did to the lesbian main character whose partner was the target of antigay violence?

No, this was on Murder House, the scene where Lange is attempting to get Quinto's character to give up his plans to adopt Mrs. Harmon's baby. They were bickering back and forth and Lange said something like "What you are is unnatural!" and then Quinto just blandly stated the "studies show blah blah blah" line, like he was in a PSA or something. It was sort of odd, out of character, and didn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the conversation.

quote:

She was calling him unnatural because he was a ghost and he misinterpreted it as being a gay jab, so he countered her bigotry with facts.

Oh, that makes sense. I guess I must've misunderstood that line then.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
That was a fantastic scene.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
They're a car full of witches and they're screaming because some zombies are coming after them? Laaamee. Willow and Hermione would like a word with them

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Next time I need to get rid of a boner, I'll just think of that. Thanks AHS

e: also, is it just me, or is Misty like one of the most attractive people ever?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

uptown posted:

...wouldn't you?

This. To be fair, most people "back then" didn't put much thought into racism. They literally believed that African Americans were less than they were because it was how they were taught and what society said. The ones who changed their minds did so mainly because they were confronted with proof otherwise, and that's how the African American civil rights movement (and most other civil rights movements) got started.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

dr_rat posted:

I agree, it sort of felt like craziness from all over the place just came together for just this short, intense period of insanity that burnt to hot to fast and put itself out, and everything after was just the people who somehow got through it all trying (and sometimes failing) to put themselves and their lives back together again.

It was a bit of an unusually structure for a TV show, but I really appreciated it.

I actually liked the message (if you can call it that) at the end: all of these supernatural creatures are running around creating havoc, and yet people remain the scariest monsters of all. You can defeat every paranormal being out there, but you can never defeat the bad parts of human nature. It's a theme common to horror (see: Stephen King) but one that is a great theme if done properly.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 12, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

fullroundaction posted:

The only thing that can defeat a house full of witches is a locked door.

Yeah, I like this season but when it comes to the magic part these witches are a bit, uh... lame? Where're the fireballs, the toad-turning, the levitating? I guess I was expecting "The Craft" at LEAST and got a bunch of souped-up Wiccans.

"Oh, you're a guy with an axe and I'm a witch? I'm going to stumble around and scream a lot while other witches freak out because the door's locked"

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 14, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Honestly I'd go as far as to say that Lilly Rabe (e: and Bassett!) deserves an Emmy nomination for this role. I utterly adore Misty. FrankenTate is also adorable. I love the way he always looks so petrified and in desperate need of a hug and/or bath.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 15, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

In the second episode when they cast the resurrection spell it includes the lines "We submit to you body and soul, oh lord of the underworld. We offer you our obedience and everlasting devotion until death sanctifies us in unholy union." and Zoe responds "Did we just marry the devil? Cause I'm not down with that."

If that isn't foreshadowing I don't know what is.

I actually doubt that line was supposed to mean anything other than "blah blah dark magic they're doing dark necromancy magic blah" and Zoe's quip was a clever little comeback. The consequence to that is already being shown- FrankenKyle.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

QuoProQuid posted:

LaLaurie is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. I don't know how I feel about that.

Glad to see that there are actual ramifications to Madison's undeath.

Yeah like her getting to gently caress a zombie haha what the poo poo?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
They really should've put Denis O'Hare in the crazy sax guy role instead of the weirdo butler.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
It's pretty lovely how Zoe & Madison basically doing the exact same thing that Kyle's mother did to him and using him for sex.

But not as lovely as I am for feeling bad for a racist baby killer.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Taliaquin posted:

I know. I think the writing this season is lacking so I'm going to credit Kathy with it entirely. She is killing it, and by "it" I mean my morals because she plays such a horrible person who does deserve utter hell but you can't help but pity her. I know Kathy said in an interview that she was hoping Delphine would get a redemption arc, so I suppose that's why she plays her so sympathetically; she's really going for the idea that this woman can be redeemed.

I think its because present-day Delphine just looks so cutesy, meek and lovable, like a sweet old middle-aged nanny without a shred of evil in her. Past-Delphine is a terrible bitch who is easy to hate. I would've been rooting and cheering if the final few minutes of this episode had happened to past Delphine.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

AGirlWonder posted:

That explanation doesn't make sense, though. If the Salem witches' power is genetic, then how could it have started with Tituba?

Yeah, that sounds kind of propaganda-ish to me. Witchcraft was around in England long before Salem. While I suppose Tituba might have taught them how to channel their powers or some such it was probably already "inside" of them.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
What the loving poo poo

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I still can't get over how, uh, un-witchy these witches are. There's like seven of them at this point. You mean to tell me Fiona is THAT powerful that they can't overpower her or something?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ThatPazuzu posted:

I don't like that nobody is normal. They live is this giant magical fantasy New Orleans while other seasons made it clear that things were not normal.

I'm willing to bet you've never been to New Orleans before. It's probably the least "normal" place you can go in the country.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

hepscat posted:

It doesn't help that the storylines that started the season went nowhere, like Cordelia being so desperate for a baby she had scary snake sex and bottled up her husband's semen and took it to LaVeau. Then we learn her husband is cheating on her, then a witch hunter, and now she knows there's something off about him and there's no mention again of how much she wanted her own child.

The slave who gets turned into a minotaur (not that we know how that happened) was pretty scary but other than knowing Queenie survived it, that just ended it. I thought LaVeau might have other frankensteined creatures but I guess it was just the one and oh well.

Early on Zoe and Madison perform a rite/spell of resurrection but hasn't that been completely dropped in favor of magical powers with a wave of a hand? I'm just puzzled why the writers are so disjointed on these things. It's like someone wrote the first three episodes and someone else took over. There's an over-arching theme about motherhood but even that is like "huh, another mother and child relationship."

There is more uncertainty and tension going on in Treme after one episode than we've seen all season in AHS.

I feel like this season would have worked better if they had 22 episodes to work with. Instead, they're clearly trying way too hard to fit all of these BIG THEMES and COOL PLOTLINES into what is basically half of a regular season. It worked for Murder House & Asylum but I think they sort of overshot their boundaries this season.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Coconut Indian posted:

In Asylum, why do the characters call him Bloodyface when they can't possibly know about the mask he wears? The only time anyone would see him wear it would be right before they died.

It's possible that he called himself that or earned that nickname prior to donning the mask. Some infamous serial killers were known to write in to newspapers.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The dialogue in this show is exceptional, and definitely its greatest strength.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
You're a witch. Blast him away or something, yeesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay now THAT was some good television. If only the prior episodes were this good.

• Locked thread