Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Chill la Chill posted:

Quite frankly this is a non-issue. What is so bad about having a male only space? Men built this hobby

You might be surprised.

Back in the days before WWII naval wargaming was a popular pastime, arguably having more public visibility than wargaming has today.

Fletcher Pratt would rent ball-rooms and players would push around model ships. Fletcher's wife was an active organizer, and about half of the participants were women:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Carbolic posted:

Chill la Chill was ironically quoting a terrible opinion from the comments section of the article.

Yeah, that's what I get for posting while tired. My apologies, Chill.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BattleMaster posted:

I have MBT but I haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to it because mid-80s conventional World War III in Germany is 100% my poo poo. It's deeper than I'd like in the backlog of stuff I plan to try with my boyfriend though so it may have to wait.

I finally tracked down Chieftain; I now have all of GDW's Assault series.

I wish folks in my area were into WWIII wargames.

Edit: I'd also like to get copies of their old Third World War series at some point.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That looks really interesting, but does it come with yarn?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

COOL CORN posted:

The latest design from Ty Bomba:

"OH JOHN RINGO NO."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thanks for the Vietnam writeup. I had the game back in the day, but never made it far in the campaign. Maybe some day I'll track down a copy and stick it out past '68...

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

:siren: ATTENTION ALL MONSTER GAMERS :siren:

Compass Games to re-release designer signature editions of all four of GDW's Third World War series in late 2018/early 2019...

all in a single game box!

EDIT: I guess this is oldish news, but I just found out about it, okay?!

Oh, wow...!

I've considered tracking down the old versions on eBay. Hopefully this costs a little less.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

COOL CORN posted:

I’m so jealous, Under an Iron Sky is one of my grail games, but I have way too many bills right now. Thanks for sharing!

Same here.

Post more pics of that game, please!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

No e-mail.

I only ordered a copy of the new MBT, we'll see how it goes.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cessna posted:

I only ordered a copy of the new MBT, we'll see how it goes.

My copy of MBT arrived today! I never did get a confirmation e-mail, but who cares, I got my game.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

ASL seems like an absolutely perfect game to port over to PC. I can't understand why this hasn't happened, but then again, I'm a dumb, naive baby.

The old Combat Mission series initially started off as an attempt to do this.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

What do you think of Victory Games' Vietnam?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

I think having ARVN as a seperate player from the US is weird as f anyway.

I can see it. Diem was famously referred to as "a puppet who pulled his own strings."

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

Well-

A: this game doesn't feature the Diem government at all

B: ARVN was basically not autonomous at all while the US was directly involved- the period of time where Thieu actually had some control of ops was 1971+ and Abrams still had most of the pull. ARVN never actually launched any operations against US direct advice and this game does not feature the post-1972 conflict.

Huh. I'll admit I haven't played the game, for some reason I thought it covered a wider time frame.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But does there exist a CG that covers it all? :black101:

Hey, check this out.

They're working on it:

But they have a long way to go:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Okay, explain to me as if I was a child, please.

Advanced Tobruk. It looks like it is a whole system of games at this point which covers lots of WWII.

Does this use the same system as - or an updated version of - the system from the old Tobruk game from Avalon Hill?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Huh, cool. I liked old Tobruk back in the day. I may have to pick up one of the new games.

Thanks for the info!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Popete posted:

Not sure if this is the place to ask but what's the deal with 4th edition Flames of War?

They changed the game quite a bit. And, in doing so, they've started re-doing all of the army books, beginning with mid-war. They've also made conversions for late-war, so you could use Red Bear with 4th edition rules, but it will be a pain in the rear end.

Unless you're out to play in a tournament you might consider just sticking with 3rd edition.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Popete posted:

Cool thanks. It seems much more vehicle/tank focused in 4th edition which is kinda a bummer cause k wanna make a Soviet horde with tons of artillery.

Right there with you, that's why I play 3rd edition when I can.

My army:

I've added a Naval Battalion and more artillery since that was taken.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*Lifts his head up from his 1:1000 scale map of Stalingrad to see the lesser grogs arguing about games other than the best game known to man, Advanced Squad Leader, and sighs heavily*

Hey, are the streets 40 meters wide on that map?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Playful Cockatoo takes Silver Rabbit!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jack B Nimble posted:

After my friends patiently made an attempt to play Fire in the Lake with me I'm forced to admit we need something simpler. Can I get a recommendation for a game that allows 4+ players, has a historical basis, can be played in maybe a couple hours, and doesn't feel like recreating Sid Mierer's Civilization on paper?

Diplomacy, if you want to hate them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

mllaneza posted:

The thing about ASL is, behind all of the phonebook-sized rulebooks, acres of maps, and thousands of counters, behind all that...

Lies a really good game.

I love old-school basic Squad Leader and still play it.

I don't know if I could put in the commitment ASL would require for the return I'd get; I don't wargame frequently enough as it is.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

I actually really want a semi-coop where everyone's a Union general and the goal is to get elected president after the war

shutupandtakemymoney.jpg

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sleekly posted:

I really like this thread and this thread in this place in particular. you're all really rare people and you all have good and valid opinions on wargames. except for those of you who love ASL but I love you guys too

Same.

Panzeh posted:

Working on GIF stuff for untitled LP GCACW project:

I love this. Please animate more wargames!!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I'm in, hell yes. I loved those games back in the day.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A Strange Aeon posted:

How long does it take for current conflicts to end up as game designs? I wonder if those wargame magazines in the 80s had contemporary scenarios or still pulled from the deep well of historical or WW 2.

There were a LOT of contemporary designs back in the old days.

For example, SPI published a game about Vietnam in 1972 called Year of the Rat - in 1972.

They weren't 100% staff planning operation accurate, of course, but they were based on basic analysis and reasonable guesses. Avalon Hill didn't produce that many, as they concentrated more on historical events, but SPI in particular published a lot of "it could happen tomorrow" games. When SPI folded and their designers became Victory Games they made a few games in this manner, like Gulf Strike.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh, absolutely. It's fun to drag out old wargames and see how the assumptions they made have shifted out from under them over time.

You could probably write a paper on how WWII in the Pacific games didn't understand how important code breaking and intel work was until the 80's, for example.

Or, hell, how completely off the understanding of the GPW/Russian Front was as a result of unquestioningly regurgitating Nazi propaganda.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Obfuscation posted:

The designer explicitly stated that he designed the game because he believed that revolutionary Nicaragua is a severe threat to USA and must be invaded immediately.

If we don't invade Nicaragua, the SAU will invade us!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Obfuscation posted:

a scenario about the Football War between Honduras and El Salvador, which I'm pretty sure isn't covered by any other board game.

There's a scenario/mention of this in SPI's Air War.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, that's what interested me in the game in the first place. I think OCS spoiled me on wargames because playing front-pushers really doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

May I suggest Supply Lines of the American Revolution? I have a copy, it is quite good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

inferis posted:

I’ve recently been reading a lot about the Korean War and I’m looking for a game that explores it further. I don’t have a lot of experience with war games generally but in looking for games about this war it does seem like they are all from a specific, if tacit, political perspective. I’m guessing this is common in just about all war games but I haven’t played any where I’ve learned about a lot of the history associated with them. Are there any games about this war that don’t go quite so hardline on the us state department perspective of it?

Which perspective are you objecting to, if you don't mind?

Victory Games' Korean War - a strategic level game produced in the 80s - was quite good, emphasizing logistics and political ramifications of escalation.

If you play Bolt Action - tactical skirmish miniatures - their Korean War supplement is excellent, to the point that I'd call it the best in the line.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

Too bad the miniatures are godawful.

I use "Battle of the Bulge" troops for US.

For their North Korean adversaries, they aren't great, to be sure, but they're serviceable with a little work. In person they aren't as bad as the ones painted for the Warlord website; that paint job really emphasizes their flaws. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of North Korean miniatures to choose from.

Edit: "Easy 8" Miniatures made a single squad of Korean War Chinese several years ago. Beyond that you're converting WWII Soviets in Telogriekas.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

inferis posted:

This is the book I was reading most recently that challenged some of the traditional narratives that the beginning of the Korean War was an unprovoked act of aggression by the north and that it took the south completely by surprise.

With absolutely no snark, no serious historian thinks that North Korea's invasion was completely unprovoked.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

Look buddy, if you think the Korean War didn't start with Kim Il-Sung launching a full scale invasion of the South, I don't loving know what to tell you. You may as well be claiming the Poles attacked the Soviet Union in August 1939 and prompted Stalin to invade and conquer Eastern Poland.

The North attacked the South, that's not being disputed.

What IS being disputed is whether it was unprovoked or not. At this point there's little doubt that both North and South Korea were making raids across the border before the invasion.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Oh, wow, that's really nice.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

A Strange Aeon posted:

Okay, I've been really enjoying Battle Cry of Freedom, but it made me think how ACW games are modeled.

I've not really played any, but reading about McClellan who seems to have constantly blown it by imagining the enemy having many more troops than they actually did, how does that factor into games modeling the conflict?

Like do some games have a McClellan chit that has stats representing this passivity and overcaution? Or do you just get the forces and can command them as you see fit, without the personalities of the commanders being taken into account?

Depends on the scope and scale of the game.

In a strategic level game you could keep the counters flipped over/upside down, so you can't see their strength until they're engaged.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Holy crap, I think I need to buy this now.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Chaplain pic sold me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ah, did I spell "Chaplin" wrong?