Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5JNmOO9MS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

the dragon team lost

savages. idiots.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Can we not do this again, please?

Genuinely, please could you stop making the thread about yourself? The reason everyone keeps making fun of you is because you can't stop yourself inserting yourself into every slightly spicy topic to scold people

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

:love:

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

So I watched Fool's Paradise the other day. Despite the poor reception, I wanted to support Charlie Day, and man, what a cast in that thing. I can see why people were so disappointed that it wasn't nearly as funny as it ought to have been with such an insane cast, but it didn't actually seem like a comedy once I started watching it. It was far more of a drama with slightly comedic elements, and halfway through I dawned on my that Charlie was making a modern day Candide...which is something I'm personally interested in. The movie was far better than I expected because of the harsh criticism, and I agree that his character was the weakest link of the movie but I can't really hate on it!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

No Dignity posted:

Genuinely, please could you stop making the thread about yourself? The reason everyone keeps making fun of you is because you can't stop yourself inserting yourself into every slightly spicy topic to scold people
Pretty sure the people making weeks/months-old jokes at LL's expense are more the people who are making the thread about her than the person who asks someone to stop making those jokes?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

No Dignity posted:

All I am asking is that people not loudly opine for the days when they could see blackface on television.

The bar is very, very low here.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

opine gangnam style

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LividLiquid posted:

All I am asking is that people not loudly opine for the days when they could see blackface on television.

The bar is very, very low here.

No one is longing for the days of black face.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

No one is longing for the days of black face.
It won't be hard to stop, then.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Shut up!!! Shut the gently caress up!!!!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Shut up!!! Shut the gently caress up!!!!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe if we knew what the rules were?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

Needs some clarification IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUJMplmX6rI&t=9s

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

CPColin posted:

♫ Gonna say the n word! ♫

Also, some rules for the road:
Frank: “You can’t be PC on the road and expect to live. You will die. If you go to a four-way stop and you think the rules of the road are going to apply to an 80-year-old Asian woman, you’re going to get blasted.”

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 23, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just make the greeting message of your Plex server say "Let's make one thing perfectly clear, we're going to watch some episodes in here, we haven't had a chance to watch before."

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the blackface episode that was taken down has one of glenn's best deliveries of the entire series when frank says james earl jones is doing a great blackface and dennis, gobsmacked, says

"james earl jones HAS a black face, he's a black MAN"

the frustration and amazement in his voice is so loving funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0XGuTCALQ0

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
god drat that's a good clip lol

jeff
Dec 1, 2002
huh
But he ordered Chardonnay what was I supposed to do?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/0WZgQeo.mp4

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:
:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ I knew what it was going to be before the clip even finished :negative:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Thank you for taking that moment in my posting life and turning it into something loving beautiful.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the episode with Dennis' new roommate prospect, the German guy? I want to watch that one again.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

What's the episode with Dennis' new roommate prospect, the German guy? I want to watch that one again.

mac and charlie die

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i just slip my foot over like this as if to say "hello! i'd like to have some anonymous sex please!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You said their names, that kills it for me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/1qVlfhq.mp4

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jesus loving Christ, man. What is with all of you? Get over me. Why reference me at all in this? I legit don't think any of you get what my problem ever even was, because the very first time we ever, as a thread, talked about this matter, I said this was the solution. This is exactly what I said to do. What one of the only two actual resolutions to this are.

Pirate that poo poo. Watch that poo poo. I don't think you're racist for enjoying those episodes.

I enjoy those episodes. They aren't what make me uncomfortable.

Edit: Y'know what? I made a video years ago that might help with this. This is how I feel about this poo poo. Please don't be awful about it. I'm making myself vulnerable here because I absolutely believe that none of you are performatively misunderstanding me, and that we are, in fact, having a real misunderstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3xaGDdmHeY

And before anybody says it, I don't think you're nazis. This wasn't a video about this thread.

What I want, most of all, is for us all to exist in a space where "that episode rules. The blackcface wasn't the best, though," is the way of things, but that's a moonshot. What I'll settle for is us just all understanding that banning blackface on TV after the 2020 protests wasn't like fundies banning death metal or hip hop. There's a context there that matters, and it isn't Tipper Gore telling us we can't like hip hop anymore.

The episodes don't make me uncomfortable. You wanting to watch them doesn't make me uncomfortable. I want to watch them too. They're good episodes.

Takes No Damage posted:

opines for the days when you could see blackface on television?
does. They exist. You can watch them. Keep watching them. I loving will. Just not in company that feels the need to cry censorship about their removal. Piracy exists. Disclaimers exist. I'm not some idiot who doesn't get that the show is also saying it's bad.

Schlock night rules, y'all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 25, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1qVlfhq.mp4

Mods gave the all clear, so I guess we're doing this :ohdear:]

Finally we know what the rules are!

Thanks for doing this

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

No Dignity posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Jesus loving Christ, man. What is with all of you? Get over me. Why reference me at all in this?

I'm going to be honest here, I have no idea what you want from this thread. Every time ChesterJT makes one of those weird GIFs with your name in it, I assume that's what you're getting upset about, but you seem to enjoy those? Then Serperoth has a throwaway line in their post and that seems to set you off on a giant effort post. We're just trying to have fun with the show and repeat quotes from it at each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

moist turtleneck posted:

god drat that's a good clip lol

When Dennis and Mac both just have to stop and take a moment to breathe after Frank's Darth Vader bit is amazing :allears:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

No Dignity posted:

Genuinely, please could you stop making the thread about yourself?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

lol

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I don't know how someone can be upset about the black face in Sunny when it was always specifically to show how racist it appears when it's done. Like, that's the entire point. Further, it's even dumber to get upset about it related to Sunny because they had way more racial jokes than just putting some makeup on someone, but those are okay?

Banning or being upset about blackface of this kind is like telling a library they can't keep Fahrenheit 451.

Edit - Isn't the whole point of the Frank song in The Gang Turns Black to say that black people really don't care when there is no animosity behind it?

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 25, 2024

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Removing the episodes was a corporate PR thing. The George Floyd protests were about police officers killing black people for no reason, but that's sadly a lot for big business to publicly endorse, so they removed a few things regardless of context and called it a day, possibly while slapping themselves on the back for finally solving racism. Never mind that quite a bit has been written about the offending scenes actually being quite popular with black fans because they are very honest about how wrong it is - a Community episode that was also removed was even more brazen, with a case of blackface being described as a "hate crime" by two black characters.

Blackface is hideous and has a very deliberately coded racist history. I don't want to claim that all black people are fine with its self-aware and ironic use in Always Sunny and Community because that's probably not the case - I'm very white so there's not much I can really add to the debate at a personal level because it can't directly offend me. That said, I don't agree with the decision to remove the episodes, and I think a better halfway solution would be to use a disclaimer like Disney do for all the actual racism in their classic animated canon. You could even use such a disclaimer to link to a debate on the subject or address other problematic things in the show's history that even the creators are a bit unsure about - like Dee's Dating a R-word Person.

I don't really care about searching out for them though. Some of the removed episodes are really good, but there are loads of really good episodes of Always Sunny regardless, some of which also discuss racism. That's why they don't win awards, because the black guy quota is way off.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Get over me.

look in the mirror and say these exact words. you, along with all of us in this thread, will be better off for it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm not a sexual child molester! I'm Dennis Reynolds, I'm handsome and chiselled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not a sexual child molester! I'm Dennis Reynolds, I'm handsome and chiselled!

I like to BIND! I like to BE BOUND!!