Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Skyl3lazer posted:

So am I just supposed to restart whenever I lose my fledgling fleet? Like I'll get into a fight with 2 ships the same size as mine, my AI will die instantly doing a suicide run on both of their ships and then I'll get kited for the rest of the match. This has happened 5-6 times and there seems to be no option other than restarting and hoping for the best on the next run.

Don't pick even fights early on. Stalk lone Buffaloes until you have enough credits to build a slightly better fleet, then take on the frigates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What are you guys doing for fighters these days once you can afford whatever you want? Right now I am running with two wings each of Xyphos and Warthogs, with two Gemini as carriers. I feel like this might be overkill and maybe I should drop a couple wings and roll with some more frigates instead.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the AI any good with Sunders? Trying to find a good destroyer I can drop a couple of in my fleet that doesn't hemorrhage CR like the Medusa and I'm not a huge fan of the Hammerhead.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bhodi posted:

If your shield flux starts to get high, just hit x to stop firing for a second or two.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about this key. So useful.

This is a great post. :thumbsup:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fewd posted:

I don't understand what the burn increasing skill does.

I can't remember the name but it's the rightmost skill in the aptitude list that has the ordnance point bonuses and such. First point in it gives you some sort of vague 1/1/0/0/0 burn bonus or something. I didn't notice any difference in my travel speed after taking it though. Had two cruisers (Dominator and the silly one with one frontal medium energy) and one destroyer (Enforcer) at the time.

The multiple numbers shown for the burn speed bonus refer to what type of ship. It goes Frigate/Destroyer/Cruiser/Battleship or something like that. So, if you didn't notice any difference, it's because at that level it was only adding more burn speed to destroyers.

Once you get a few points in that skill, it starts adding burn speed to the larger ships. It's a pretty useful skill.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Capilarean posted:

I wish there was more variety in the enemy groups. Right now it seems to go from "a destroyer, couple of frigates and fighters" straight to GIANT STACK OF DOOM, which only compounds the issues with the overly-careful AI. It's very easy to reach a point where there are basically no viable stacks for you to fight. A good starter would be a stack with a single battleship and some light support, so that you could actually get to see the bigger ships without having to build up a massive fleet of your own.

Agreed, this is a big problem with the enemies currently. The game needs more fleets with cruisers or lone battleships, because right now there is a huge gap between destroyer-led fleets and multi-battleship-led fleets. Sometimes there's a nice independent mercenary fleet right in the middle, but that's about it. I guess pirates show up with cruisers somewhat often, but they are so easy to beat it doesn't really count.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm gonna start a new game to try out Blackrock now that it's updated for .6a - can you guys recommend like 2-3 other well-balanced mods with non-retarded graphics that would work well along with it? From reading the thread it looks like Shadowyards and Junk Pirates are considered good. I see a lot of back and forth on Kadur, should I toss it in?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Retro42 posted:

In the settings.json file edit the Maxdisengagesize or maxdisengagefraction values. As far as I can tell it forces any fleet over XXX deployment points to use to fight ai instead of full retreat at the start of battle. I've found it spices things up quite a bit, I'll often engage the smallish pirate fleets and need to burn a decent amount of CR taking out the main fleet and being forced to fight the remnants for the spoils.

Any suggestions in terms of good values to set these at?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can anyone recommend a good build for the BRDY Karkinos? I bought one but I'm having a hard time tracking down enough weaponry. I'm on a hunt for more Squall Batteries for its large ballistic slots but have only found one so far.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh hey, another one. For a couple people, at least, Blackrock weapon restocking appears bugged and never happens, so for the time being go grab the Restock mod off the Starsector forums and use that. It will auto-restock any guns you buy all of, as well as stock all guns from all factions if you feel like experimenting.

Also, the Karkinos is the best ship and you should slap four Solenoid Quench Cannons on it and revel in the glorious sounds it produces as a result.

Is the Restock mod compatible with existing saves?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also, the Karkinos is the best ship and you should slap four Solenoid Quench Cannons on it and revel in the glorious sounds it produces as a result.

Wow, you weren't kidding. The Karkinos with 4 Solenoid Quench Cannons is absurdly fun.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GunganRevenge posted:

I'm trying to run a mostly high-maneuverability Blackrock fleet, which I found pretty easy with the Desdinova-class. Almost too easy, really. The sheer speed boost those things get from their F is insane, they can engage most other destroyers and obliterate them in no time flat.

I found the Desdinova a little fragile. It looks and sounds cool as hell, but mine kept dying in serious fights. What's your build like? I was just using stock because :effort:.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

GunganRevenge posted:

Again, really, the issue isn't with in combat speed. My interceptors and frigates provide the initial shock punch, and then when they're still getting their poo poo together, the Nevermores roll in. It's really not that bad.

The issue is the fact that my burn is at 4, and I can't catch up with a single goddamn thing on the worldmap.

Dump a few points in Navigation and bring a tug or two, should be enough to get you at least to 5, which will let you catch up with anything interesting.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Arrath posted:

It's the "Supplies/day" entry.

Interesting, I didn't know supplies/day equalled logistics points. That could be made clearer in the UI. Logistics in general is fairly opaque.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Artificer posted:

One thing I really liked about Gratuitous Space Battles was setting up battles with lots of ships, lots of weapons, mute the music, and set it to be a screensaver or something while I read a book or something.

Any way you could do something like that with this game?

Set your flagship to be a tug or something and then don't deploy it when you start a battle. Your guys will fight on their own.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Artificer posted:

For a Paragon, would you guys suggest 2x Plasma Cannons with 2x Autopulses, or just have 4x Autopulses? I've got flak turrets on the front and tac lasers with integrated point defence AI all around the ship. Do you suppose that's going a little overboard with the PD?

If you've got the OP and flux to handle it, I'd definitely go for Plasma Cannons over Autopulse Lasers. Autopulses are fun but after their initial burst they lose a lot of steam. Since a Paragon is most useful against other capital ships, you want something that is going to have a little more staying power.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Iron Rose posted:

Just bought this because I'm craving a new space combaty game. What's the essential information that I need to know/mods that I need to download?

I gotta disagree with Zudgemud - even without mods the game is awesome and you'll get plenty of out of it. There are a handful of total conversion mods like he listed, but the best introduction to Starsector is just to play the base game. The only mod that I might call "essential" would be Blackrock Driveyards, which adds new ships/weapons but doesn't dramatically change the game. You'd be totally fine without it though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where the hell can I buy Needlers? I haven't seen them anywhere.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How are you guys outfitting your Wolves? I've been rolling with the standard graviton/tac laser/harpoon build, curious if anyone has found anything better.

Also, is it just me or does the AI seem like it has gotten worse about not getting in between you and your target?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cirofren posted:

I have the stock standard starter, which I use mainly as ranged support to distract ships from range for the AI to take out. My most effective AI wolf has a grav beam, a single antimatter blaster, two harpoon racks, and a bunch of cap and vents. All the back slots are empty. It routinely takes out (obv. green) cruisers solo while I'm on another part of the map.

This sounds fun as hell. Bummer antimatter blasters are so rare now. :bahgawd:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cruisers seem really rare. I have like 2+ million and nothing really to spend it on since I already have as many Destroyers and Frigates as I need.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Recommendations for Aurora fits? Finally found one.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've gotten around the freeze at loading bug by loading up the save and then re-saving it on a different computer. Obviously kinda situational though.

For what it's worth, I've only had saves get hosed up when I try to load from within the game. Exiting and loading seems safer. Will this be touted as an anti-savescumming feature?!?!?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Mindblast posted:

I wonder where/how the new vanilla game determines where ships and weapons pop up. I'm kinda wondering where I'd have to go to have a chance at a conquest/aurora.

Auroras can spawn in the military market on Achaman or whatever the Tri-Tach station in Magec is called. Not sure if they can spawn anywhere else, but I doubt it.

No idea on a Conquest. I've never even seen one in the campaign in a fleet.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The only way to make boarding actions worthwhile is to have the good shuttle in your fleet (I forget the name - the one that can hold 30 people) and send it in to hard dock if you get a chance to board a rare ship. They cost under 10k so even if you lose it, you're not out very much on the hull.

Even with this method, though, you really only want to try a boarding action if you see something rare that you can't easily buy.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Interesting that the Tactical Laser got a buff. It's already a really great weapon.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have a good loadout for the 00-Series Nevermore, the one without the Antimatter Lance that has a large universal up front instead? Right now I'm running it with an Ironstorm in that slot, but I'm finding it pretty underwhelming.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I'm surprised (but pleased) you even managed to get ahold of one, did it spawn in a black market?

Spawned in Gneiss in the military market :shrug:.

I feel like it has a lot of potential with the four small slots up front and the huge amount of medium slots, but I haven't found a setup I like yet. Putting four Sunjet PDEs (or whatever the small green anti-armor beam is called) on the front of it is fun, though.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 15, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Which mod are the ships in that gif from?

efb

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Will that Templars mod work if I install it and try to use a save started without it? My dude is level 40 so I'd be up for some boss fights, but I don't want to start over.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Haerc posted:

Wow, just checked my email and mine was from 2/19/2012.

5/14/2011, if we're doing this.

The game owned even back then when it was just those 4 missions or whatever.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DFlux posted:

It really depends on what your fleet composition is. If your running around in high tech ships, bounty hunting generally won't offset its costs because in battles with high combat or large fleet bounties a lot of your ships will die.

I roll with a very high tech fleet and bounty hunting pays for itself and then some. I've never touched trading in this game beyond selling stuff I take from pirates. Lose fewer ships? :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dezztroy posted:

Speaking of boarding ships, do people usually just hard dock all the time? I've had so many self-destructs lead to me losing a ship that I never do it anymore. Also, does hull strength and armor play a role in the amount of damage a self-destruct does?

Just use a cheap ship for hard docking. I roll with whatever the 30-crew shuttle is (I forget if it's Hermes or Mercury) and send that one in to hard dock. If I lose it, it's not a big deal.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tanith posted:

Being limited to level 6 beats being chased around the galaxy by Captain Hector of AmbrosiaSoft

:thumbsup: Real blast from the past here.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I was convinced you could kill Hector if you just tried really really hard.

I think maybe the forklift could do it.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is that other ship new or from a mod?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Not sure I'm a fan of the new sensor stuff. I'm spending more time sitting around doing sensor sweeps and less time fighting. Is this supposed to be fun?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Any tips on actually finding pirate fleets to fight? I'm hanging around their stations and asteroid belts and sending out pings and I'm just not finding that many guys. What am I missing? I see what the dev is going for here but I don't think "fewer fights" is what this game needed.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Agnostalgia posted:

Are there any officer personalities other than aggressive and timid?

I've seen aggresssive, timid, steady, and cautious.

Carcer posted:

Never go to the Duzahk system without massive amounts of supplies and fuel. I am now trapped there without either and there are no bases or planets to get anymore. My options now are attacking some independant aligned fleets, load a save or give up and wait for my ships to explode on thier own.

edit: I'm really trying to like this update, but some of the changes have tipped the balance away from the awesome battles at the heart of this game and towards the tedious flying around looking for fights or just playing space trucker. I'm either bored or frustrated and thats not a good way to spend my time.

Penelope's Star also doesn't seem to have any inhabited planets. I might be missing one though because it's super spread out.

Have to agree with the second part so far. The sensor stuff is a cool idea but I don't think it actually makes the game more fun. Hopefully it gets developed or modded into something less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What is the best way to gain rep these days? I'm trying to boost Tri-Tach and it's getting annoying waiting for bounties from them to pop up. Is it just bounties + commodities missions or is there other stuff you can do?