Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Sankis posted:

After trevor's mid game mission to capture the Merryweather plane. Is there anything to check out after it crashes? I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out a way to get the sub to the alamo sea. It seems like the easiest way would be to get a cargobob (which seem to be a rare spawn in the military base, or 2.2 mil to buy) and lift the sub you get from the dock property. What's the easiest way to get 2.2 mil without cheating, anyway?

Edit: I haven't hung out with anyone yet. I really should. The dialogue in this game is great.

Get in the sub, then get out so you're in the scuba suit. Take a boat into the lake, you should still be wearing the suit.

As for what's down there, (midgame) I found a broken up plane down there where I thought it had crashed but the colors were slightly different. Found some guns and a package thing but I don't know what the package was, I didn't get any money or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I have just spent over an hour reading fictional not-Facebook entries. :smithicide:

This was me when I discovered all the Bleeter tweets.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Satorr posted:

Jesus Christ. Is it worth it to buy properties or are they all as awful as The Hen House? I've owned them for quite a long while as Trevor and I've gotten three calls. One was to deliver booze in a unwieldy vehicle by way of dangerously tiny curved roads in a short amount of time and the other two were to stop a thief. Of course the thief is a goddamn getaway artist who's nearly impossible to keep up with unless you have a sports car.

I just bought the sonar place last night, which seems like a good deal. It costs $250k and you get $23k for each nuclear waste you find in the ocean (there's a sonar tracking app on the phone which helps you find them). There are 30 of these wastes which makes it worth it plus whatever else kind of treasure is in the ocean.

Raimondi posted:

I just checked my stocks this morning on the Social Club website, and it says Hawk And Little is at $1.20? Can anyone confirm it in-game that its finally on the rise?

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/bawsaq

Yeah it finally started moving late last night when I had checked, was 85 cents I think around midnight. Must be a slow mover.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

Oh dammit, I jacked the fighter jet from the airbase and I can't store it.

I managed to jack one with Franklin and through some quick save and character switching sorcery I managed to get it in Trevor's hands so he could store it in his hanger. It took about an hour, which probably would've been better spent trying to jack a new one with Trevor.

In my second to last attempt, Franklin was in the plane in the hanger when I rolled up with Trevor. Franklin then says "hey man I got stuff to do" and then guns it into the hanger wall killing us both. :v:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

cornface posted:

I had this happen on a mission where a bunch of cars wrecked in the street while I was finishing it up. None of the cars in the road that had stopped were able to be commandeered.

Yeah I've seen this happen with scripted cars for chase missions and such.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I don't mind combat on foot being more lethal than previous games, as you can counter that with playing smarter with cover and such. What I get frustrated with is the "chase this car while it shoots at you" missions, where there is no where to hide. The AI hits like one in three shots at you, meanwhile I'm basically Michael J Fox trying to drive and shoot back if I'm not playing Franklin.

Trevor's off-roading missions are kind of the same way, but at least if you get the package first you can get out of the car, hit the special ability, and clear everyone and have a peaceful drive back.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

^^^ Try stealing a fighter jet and flying out over the ocean, helicopters love to conveniently appear in your path to spot you. :v:

Do we know what the "ranks" in GTAO will be? Money based or XP based somehow? Will our character have stats?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Are there any places to find helicopters in the wild guaranteed? I know sometimes the heliport in Vespuchi has one sometimes, but often not. Also is there an easy way to nick a jetfighter / the military helicopter? I've not completed the story yet so avoiding story spoilers would be nice.

There's a cliff jump over the fence of the military base. Should be pretty easy to find. What I did a few times was jump it, book it straight ahead between the buildings, and there should be a jet fighter immediately to the right, which is facing the runway (perpendicular, but it still takes off fine). You'll alert everyone this way but unless someone spawns basically right in front of you, it should be fine.

As for GTAO camping ATMs, it was one of my ideas but honestly with all the ATMs everywhere it seems kind of pointless. Unless you notice someone's "favorite" ATM and just camp that one.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

The armored cars really give you jack poo poo, 4k is a bit of an insult.

It's 4k-8k which is quite a bit when just starting out. And probably will be quite in a bit in GTAO where the stock market can't be gamed with assassination missions.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much this entirely. Not to mention microtransactions are rarely the kind of DLC I welcome getting in games, especially ones that are literally *GET AN EDGE ON EVERYONE WITH X* like what they've shown so far with the real money for in-game money stuff. I'm hoping either the stuff is pointless and only to get more from people with more money than sense or that people actually complain loud enough that R* doesn't get far enough to start selling power.

They're not selling "power", you pay money to get in-game money. You're basically paying to skip a few hours of cash grinding, and even then you'd still have to XP-grind. I really don't see the problem here.

GTAO is a free separate entity and microtransactions will help pay for support and development during its lifecycle. You know it's getting a little petty when you have dudes complaining about having to play with others in order to play multiplayer content. And it's most likely you can play a multiplayer lobby by yourself so you don't even have to play with pubbies.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

FallinInTheBlak posted:

Has anyone done the gun running mission with Trevor where you have to bomb the enemy runners base and destroy all their stuff? I tried 5 times and then gave up so therefore it is impossible to complete.

Clusters? It's better to drop earlier than later with those, and obviously make sure to line up correctly. They drop in a decent long line but if your angle is off you'll miss a target usually. Take the time to line up, and don't be afraid to get somewhat low even with people shooting at you. Then drop a little earlier than you think you normally would.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Baron FU posted:

Call the other two and ask for a hangout, then pick them up. There's also a trophy for having 3 wanted stars for 3 minutes with all 3 characters together outside of a mission.

Weird, I ran into Franklin once as Trevor so he tagged along as I broke into the airport. We stole a plane but then it looked like he wussed out because it said he bailed...and sure enough just as I take off with a plane, he tumbled out of it to his death. It was only about 30 seconds of a 3-star wanted level too, although the cops were lighting us up pretty good. Maybe they bail if their life drops too low.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Rasta_Al posted:

Is anyone else having a problem buying stocks on the BAWSAQ? I haven't been able to since the game launched. I'm missing out on sweet money rolls and it's really irking me.

It was spotty from launch to last weekend but has been fine for me all week. Make sure you have a social club account and it's linked to your console I guess. Do Snapmatic pics work? BAWSAQ was working fine the past few hours when I was playing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

lady blue shanghai posted:

Does anyone have tips for the Construction Accident random event? I've failed it three times. The bulldozer doesn't want to lift the pipes at all, it just pushes them, even if the scoop thing is lowered all the way.

I happened to have a tow truck when I came across it, and towed the dude halfway out and he was able to escape just fine.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Tokubetsu posted:

What's the best way to raise strength? Is there some kinda underground fight club I can use?

I like running around sucker punching people. I should rephrase that. I like sprinting everywhere and punching everyone in your path. You usually drop them in one hit and get their sweet $20. Sure you get a wanted star or two, but it's good practice for evading the cops on foot.

Dominic White posted:

When I last saw him, Trevor was diving for nuclear waste. Upon returning to him, he was laying drunk in an alley on the other side of the map. Parked just outside was...

This kind of stuff is hilarious. Franklin often shows up to my missions wearing a scuba or skydiving suit.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Man this thread moves fast, so I'm just going to skip to the end with my questions.

When you buy property, does the income from it show up in your bank account on its own or do you have to collect it?

Income is automatically deposited. Note that some properties require you to do stuff in order to earn money.

I wish there was a warehouse/truckyard you could buy so you could get money for stealing those big gas tank trailers at gas stations. Or just from hijacking semi trucks.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Alright, I give up. What's the best way to get a submarine into the Alamo sea? When I pick up the nuclear waste one from the dock, the cargo bobs type is so sorry and the helicopters are so hosed that it swings around uncontrollably, and either drags my helicopter into the sea/dock/ground (I made it out over land on *one attempt* out of like six) or whips the sub up into the side of the chopper and everything explodes. The Alamo Sea looks deep as gently caress, and I am not for scuba (although I wouldn't even know how to get the bloody scuba gear there in the first place either, Frank just throws it on the ground if you start walking. He dropped it on a sand bar in the middle of a bay once).

Exit the sub so you put on scuba gear. Hijack a boat, take it into the alamo sea, explore to your heart's content.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

El Hefe posted:

I went to rob a 247 and the cashier pulled a shotgun on me and we both killed each other at the same time hahahahahaha.

This caught me offguard once so now I'm always wary of it. I may have accidentally killed a cashier with an itchy trigger finger from it.

Another time I immediately ran out of a store I robbed and there were cops with guns drawn on me. Caught me completely by surprise and I died pretty much instantly. Still made a tiny profit with cash robbed after hospital expenses!

jerkstoresup posted:

I wish I had read some stock market tips early in the game. I'm debating either rushing through the game again to get those big assassination mission money bumps, or just paying closer attention to BAWSAQ to make money the legit way with my end-game cash.

I almost want to start a Google Docs spreadsheet to keep track of the hourly stock prices on BAWSAQ.

I kind of want to do this when GTAO launches, as I don't trust the graphs or anything besides the current price. I've been holding onto eCola on LCN for over a week now, it was supposed to be high: 45 low: 20, so I bought it at 20 and now it only ever fluctuates between 16 and 19.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

My XBox (the black slim one) is making an uncomfortable grinding noise whenever it boots up, how much longer do I have to play this before it gives up. Everything plays fine but that's not a good noise

If both discs are installed you should be fine. I'd rather have a little pop-in then a broken Xbox.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

GhostDog posted:

Only if you install it to a USB drive, otherwise you're in for a holiday in texture popin land.

It was very noticeable in the opening cinematic but while playing it wasn't that bad.

If both discs are installed it'll only spin up the play disc for authentication and should read everything else off installed data.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Dr Geek posted:

On a related note, where do you guys think the ceiling is on these BAWSAQ stocks? I only bought Hawk and Little as a way to store my cash, not actually expecting a return, but now I'm wondering how long to hold onto them.

No one really knows. Are the BAWSAQ charts even accurate? If you're playing/checking everyday you shouldn't get screwed, especially with a stock on an upward trend like this one.

I check BAWSAQ more than my own investments, thanks R*. It's going to be even worse with GTAO which you probably won't be able to savescum.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

I'm just wondering how to turn off everyone else globally, because that poo poo is going to seriously hamper my enjoyment.

I'm praying there is allchat in games. My buddy and I plan to do a bunch of races and shake'n'bake loudly and drunkenly, Ricky Bobby style.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Reo posted:

I drive a scooter and in the actual real world today some kids yelled Scooter Brother to me. I really didn't know how to react so I gave them the devil horns and thought "Why oh why weren't you drowned at birth."

Obviously you should've pulled out your Micro SMG, killed them, and hid under an overpass.

edit: Looking through BAWSAQ and I think Ammunation will be the next stock to look out for. It's still dropping like a brick currently but once it hits the floor it's bound to bounce back up, especially around Tuesday.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 28, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

IGN has posted some tips about the stock market on their wiki:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Stock_Market

They say Ammunation is a good investment since people are always buying weapons.

Ammunation stock is plummeting currently.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

The Casualty posted:

This mechanic is actually incredibly useful for that one mission where you steal back Solomon's film reel. You can follow the cop cars all the way around the whole chase sequence and as long as you don't pass any police cars, you won't get stars. I didn't manage to do this for the entire mission but I'd imagine it makes the ending a lot easier if you can stealth it.

Eh, the cops don't really care about you at any point in that mission.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I'm not 100% sure this is going to be true. Has any other game like this waited until weeks after release to open up the multiplayer component? Rockstar has had almost 2 weeks to look at sales numbers, determine how many of those games sold were played on an online console, and hopefully got their servers up to the task. I won't be surprised if it gets overloaded, but I'd like to think Rockstar has been doing more since release than just twiddling their thumbs and counting their money.

I don't have high hopes. Social Club hasn't exactly been steady as-is. Blizzard (Diablo 3) and EA (Sim City) were able to look at sales/preorder numbers too but their servers were laughable for days. It isn't really financially feasible to throw down a ton of money for servers just for the initial launch load, as that usually tapers off.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are there any new social club stocks on the rise to get into? I'm just about to cash out from the final lester mission.

I think Ammunation and Badger will be worth getting into but they haven't bottomed out yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Pau posted:

Isn't tomorrow the big day? Why are there no news to be found about GTA:Online?

They might release some news today but we already got a lot of info on GTA:O, what were you looking for?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, the game is pretty unbalanced as far as the freeaim went, so my gunfights now pretty much consist of me constantly pressing on LT to lock on to a target, shooting them, letting go of the buttons, then immediately hitting LT again to lock onto the next opponent. Rinse and repeat until everyone is dead.

You can just tap left and right while holding LT and it'll swap through targets even quicker.

keyframe posted:

How much money per character do you make from the final heist? Will I have enough money to buy a tank?

20-40 million per character. I think tanks cost 2 mil?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Keep getting "cloud servers are down" so I would blame any unexpected problems on R*, not necessarily your console.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

futureproof posted:

I'm stuck waiting for other players on the first mission the game immediately forces you into.

I got this too. Except I'm on an invite-only session so I don't think my chances of getting through this are too good.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Virginia Blend posted:

I have no sympathy for Rockstar on this. They had to know this was gonna be huge and still they dropped the ball.

No company has had a successful online launch to a million+ players yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Lugubrious posted:

I'm really not, but you'd think I'd have learned not to pull an all-nighter for a huge game launch by now. Wishful thinking is always overcome by my cynical side being right, over and over again.

Single player games being affected is what's worrying me, though.

Didn't the people who stay up get in the game? There is online gameplay discussion from a few hours ago, before most people woke up and started the servers on fire.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Also hey it's been open for all of three hours, maybe we can wait a bit before gnashing our teeth and declaring GTAV the Worst Game Ever.

trolls gonna troll, yo

It might get a little better during the day but then when kids get off school and adults get off work it will probably be down until 4am EST.

Or you could just "leave it for 6 months until Rockstar gets their poo poo together" lol

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Can't connect, worse game ever and am returning it right now.

*cries into Cheetos bag while trying to connect every three minutes*

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Are the Rockstar cloud servers actually down? Or do I have to make adjustments to my internet settings or something?

The servers are hosed today, don't touch your router/internet settings/modem.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Mice Everywhere posted:

Can you still jump and ragdoll in the air by pressing B in online? This is important!

:negative:

Oh no. :( I wanted to do a heist, grab money, then run to the getaway car only to come down wish sudden fishflop-itis while my driver screamed at me. My dream is dead.

THANKS ROCKSTAR

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

A c E posted:

GTAV just launched it's online system. They may well be able to handle that at some point but this is day one. Did LoL run flawlessly on day 1? Did it have millions of users hammering their servers on day 1?

No one is saying that shouldn't be able to handle this load eventually, but it's unreasonable to expect that anything would work on the first day since it never does with MMOs.

LoL/Dota are dumb examples anyway since they load a single map.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

Call of Duty never has trouble, Battlefield does. But Call of Duty is more popular than Battlefield.

This makes me think it's a publisher thing. Some publishers are too cheap to pay for enough servers to work on day one, others aren't.

Call of Duty is an annual thing by now and they do peer to peer connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

So, after getting kicked off Online after the opening scene I decided to go and finish 100%ing the single player. Only, uh, I kinda can't because the third street race is just not appearing at all. It's the middle of the night, I've finished the second with Gold and I'm looking around the Airport where the Checklist says it is... but it's just not here. Even on the map I only have 2 street races available somehow. Is it under a different icon like the offroad ones or something?

It disappeared for me when I got a wanted level on my way there, once I lost the cops and drove away and came back then the icon popped up again. Maybe changing characters will respawn it too.

• Locked thread