Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Why was Carl pissed "storytime" wasn't literally storytime? That boy's a wiener.

I liked the episode, though I hope "you can never go back to what you were" is a theme they don't labor on, because, well, no loving poo poo. I rolled my eyes pretty at Rick encouraging Carl to go to storytime. That's not something a ~13 year old kid would be into in the first place, let alone one who was forced to kill the resurrected, shambling corpses of his mother and foster father.

I don't think it's necessarily important what killed Paul Pfieffer. What's important is that the inside of the prison is no longer safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Walking Dead: From the Ashes of the Kiddydiddler

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Steak Justice posted:

Oh poo poo this better mean Abe is showing up soon.

ChristianDB posted:

Hey remember that time in the comics when Tyreese had that badass moment in the barn where you were like holy poo poo! That was insane

Yeah, they brush that off.

This season has just been like the others, pretty lovely but good filler while doing chores or practicing instruments. Glad to see The Wire alums getting some work. Love those guys

I'm not complaining since it's been pretty harmless so far, but didn't the last season have a no comic talk rule in effect? I mean, it was pretty obvious that Tyreese was gonna survive that, but I didn't need it immediately confirmed by comic folk.

If this season is the closest the show's come to being 100% faithful to the comics as a previous poster said, it'd be nice if a rule similar to the Game of Thrones thread was implemented.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What the hell has that little girl done to earn everyone's ire, besides childishly naming a zombie and refusing to stab her dad in the brain with a small knife? Even the younger sister's mentality is no less cold and distant than the original group's mindset at this point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

El Murguista posted:

Carol has followed in Shane's water dumping footsteps so I'm calling it now: Rick shoots her near the end of the season.

I can't tell if it'd be better if Carol started a love triangle between her, Rick, and Lori's corpse or Lori's imaginary ghost.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is there a good reason anyone can think of why they don't sleep with their cells closed with the key locked in their cell? For drama, I guess?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Dr. Wright posted:

You really can't see the difference between locking the door to a hotel room and locking yourself in a prison cell?

Seems about as different as having your house burglarized and being horribly mauled to death by an undead monstrosity.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

verybad posted:

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think that people would lock their doors, but then again it's not entirely unreasonable that they wouldn't, either. So what's the point of this nitpick?

That's a fair point and I mostly raised it as a "hey isn't that wacky!" sort of thing, but it kind of gets at my chief issue with the show. Obviously if everyone did the optimal anti-zombie poo poo at all times there wouldn't be a show, and hell even with them half-assing it there probably wouldn't be if there weren't magical respawning zombies. But the writers of this show simply do not write themselves into a corner enough, and don't know how to handle it eloquently when they do. One of the great things about Breaking Bad is that the writers said gently caress it and just constantly wrote themselves into corners, and some of the best writing of that show grew organically as the writers worked just as hard as Walt would to get themselves out of that corner.

A good example of where this sort of organic writing is lacking is with the plague victims. If this show was less afraid of backing itself into a corner, I'd be freaking the gently caress out over so many main characters being quarantined. Instead of what was probably the intended effect of "Oh poo poo, Sasha? Oh poo poo, little girl?! OH poo poo, GLENN?!" it's "drat, Sasha's gonna die. Oh, there's a little girl in there now, maybe not. Oh, Glenn is in there? Pshh. Most of them are gonna be fine, with maybe one character who has had speaking lines biting it." I'd be more than happy to eat my hat and see everyone in that quarantine zone die horrible deaths on Sunday.

I understand that one of the reasons why this sort of organic writing could never happen is because of the comics these things are established on. But gently caress, there must come a day where the quality of a TV show that beats out fuckin' Mad Men and Breaking Bad takes precedence over how faithful it is to the comic.

Yes yes they've already diverged from the comic quite a bit I don't care shut up.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Calling it: The Governor reveal is a misdirect, it's actually his benevolent twin brother, the Senator.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

gently caress Tyreese. What value does the guy have after all?

While all the others are good at foraging for food, Tyreese excels at looting.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I really liked the episode. I don't know if I'll be able to stomach any sort of Governor redemption plot, though. Merle getting one was a stretch.

I actually kind of respect the show in a way for not doing what I see in a lot of zombie stuff, which is to make the militaristic figures the ultimate evil even beyond the zombies. But if anyone deserved to die for the poo poo he did, it's the Governor.

The whole set-up where he's warming up to the oncologist, I couldn't help but remember that the last woman he romanced he sentenced to death via a diabolical James Bond villain style, zombie-operated Rube Goldberg Machine.

Still liked the episode. I'd consider myself a pretty jaded viewer but this entire season has been swell.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Can we all just agree that the Governor looked loving badass as hell.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

So has anyone talked about the rats yet? I think we can safely assume it's not a Governor prank now.

Maybe Martinez, in his new role as wandering masterless Samurai, embraced the life of a post-apocalyptic prankster?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I can't wait for the attack to fail so the Governor can mow down his crew again.

As a person who liked the previous episode, eh, what the hell was that poo poo. I got the Martinez thing as a sort of "I'll do whatever it takes to protect my new family from my past" deal, but killing the kid and then going and pointing a gun at his brother was straight-up insane. I'm not very close to my brother but if we watched each others asses for over a year and a half(or however long since Z day) and some dickhead murdered him and then threatened to murder me, I'd wait until the guy's back was turned and stab him in the back of the head. But nope, apparently this guy agreed to be his second-in-command under duress and no takesies-backsies!

The only situations I can think of where this doesn't end up as a total re-tread of S3 seem nonsensical. Which makes me think something wholly unexpected is going to happen. Carol hooks up with the army and leads them to the prison, or whoever killed those campers shows up. Some ridiculous poo poo like that.

And who is feeding those goddanged zombies >:O

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

lol It's a good thing that you and most Forum Posters don't write for the show, or apparently read the comics.

I'm not saying it's a good idea. It's a bad idea. I just don't see any other solution outside of the boring S3 re-hash. Did you actually read the post, or are you just that content in the fact that you read a picture-book.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

I don't think the limits of your imagination should be the goal standard by which measuring the show is accomplished.

"Your feeble imagination can't begin to comprehend the thing that I read happens in a comic book :smug: "

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Hershel's endured amputations before. Not ruling him out as coming back as a head on some sort of hovercraft.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Baldbeard posted:

gently caress, everyone I watched the show with was just sighing and rolling their eyes through an episode that was supposed to be epic and groundbreaking.

Regardless of everything else in this post you and your friends sound like a bunch of boring dorks

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Takezio posted:

I tried to explain what happened in the show to my dad, and started off simple, with Hershel and the Governers deaths.

:downs: "So, two main characters--like, the actors' names were in the main credits--died.
:v: "Well, it is a zombie show."
:downs: "Zombies did not kill either of them. The first guy was an old guy who was being held hostage by the second guy. So, the main good guy did this Friendship Speech, and everything was cool, then the evil guy sliced the old man's neck with a sword, and in the following hellhole, the old guy tried to crawl away, but evil dude was all "Nope!" and cut the old guys' head off. Then, later, evil guy got beat up by the main good guy, run through with the same sword, and then got shot in the head by his girlfriend."
:v: :stare:
:downs: "Yep."

The next (This) morning, while backing my car up and around the icy driveway, I ran into his truck, causing what he estimated to be $3,000 in damages. This does not bode well for the rest of the week.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I took the Governor finishing off Hershel as a mercy. Although admittedly if my reading is correct using the hilt of the sword to bash in his brains before chopping his head off was kind of a dick move.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No way Judith missing is just the hook for the spin off series "Telltale Games Presents: The Walking Dead: Little Asskicker chronicles."

I was really hoping the kids would give the baby two pistols

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I absolutely agree it's Bob. I just wonder why. I get it that it's still supposed to be a mystery at this point but there aren't many conceivable benefits to it and if it's just "he's crazy" well that's an oddly heavily built up plot point.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Perfidus posted:

Was Low Winter Sun cancelled? I never heard this.

"On December 6, 2013, AMC announced it had canceled the series.[2]"

Neither did I but apparently yeah

Good.

edit: Also Lennie James rules in Snatch

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maggie sure looks different when she's British.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

gently caress Carl, that was unbearably bad.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Man, season four was doing so well.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Am I the only one who laughed at the fact that Michonne began wailing in her dream when she realized no one could open the wine?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Also from a few pages back

Gravel Gravy posted:

I would love a Walking Dead/Always Sunny mashup. That group Ricky killed in the bar was from Philly. Maybe one of them was Duncan from under the bridge.

I'm sorry if this is the joke you are making, but Duncan from under the bridge is already on the show.

"Man... I used to have some jean shorts like that too.
I slept in them shits, man!.. Eventually, I blew the crotch out of them things. But you CAN'T wear 'em every day and expect for 'em to hold up!.. That was some nice-rear end denim too. I miss them shorts... But you... you GOTTA take 'em off every now and then. You gotta take 'em off, son!"

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hollylolly posted:

I guess you missed that this was a resolution to that relationship tension by having Carl admit he did need his dad around after all, and Rick admitting that Carl was a man and didn't need to be treated like a child/protected. The writers took the time to let the characters resolve their issues. The relationship has been brewing to this point since the beginning, but I think it was a logical continuation. Now we can see how it goes from here, now that they have found common ground.

The problem is they've done this exact same plot before, multiple times. Rick learns to give his son a little bit more leeway because he's growing up and living in a hellish apocalypse, and Carl learns maybe his dad does have whats best for him in mind after all.

Also I know it's not exactly easy acting when you're 14 years old so I'm definitely going to give the kid a break, but everything Carl did in this episode was either really idiotic, a rehash, or both.

edit: The thing that bothers me is that it seems like such a small jump forward, happening almost immediately after the prison exile. Even at 14 I think I'd have the foresight to not be an rear end in a top hat to my gravely injured father just after he lost his daughter and I lost my sister. I'm so mad at you dad I'm going to force you to try and keep pace with me even though you've been shot and beaten to hell on one side of your body. Dad not waking up, probably because of some cranial injuries? Better violently shake him and then get really mad at him

Not that Judith is actually dead

That DICK! fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 10, 2014

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The only reason the complete rehash of earlier episodes bugs me is that this is time they're taking away from other, lesser known characters. I think it would have been cool if they left Rick and Carl alone for a while to focus on others and then Michonne could just stumble upon them in the exact same fashion because, well, it's Rick and Carl, of course they made it. Showing them as a cohesive duo that worked well together for a while would have done more for character development than this episode ended up doing, and now with Michonne with them that opportunity's lost.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't get why Carl didn't just get their attention and sprint way ahead of them. Then lose them or kill them when they're sufficiently far enough away. It's not perfect and it's maybe overthinking it but I can't really think of a worse way to lead something away then to stand 2 feet away from it while backing up. It's not like zombies ever got a sudden burst of speed before or anything!

Anyway, while I was watching the end of the marathon before this episode I noticed there was a black baby in Woodbury. What is the fate of said black baby?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Surlaw posted:

and yes Carl being dumb and whiny was intentional.

Why, though? I understand a teenager acting angsty towards his father. A teenager who has lost so much in such a horrifying situation probably moreso. But considering all the absurd poo poo that happens in this show, let's use as an example the neutered zombie talk, why is it important that you chase this particular brand of realism?

I don't even blame Carl for this lame trope that keeps being brought up episode after episode, I blame Rick. With Shane and Lori gone, the only "family" intrigue the main character has to bounce off of is Carl. I'd include the baby but it'd be pretty hard to contrive situations where the baby and Rick are at odds.

I think now would be a perfect time to de-emphasize Rick as the main character. He should still be the most central character, sure. But I feel like all of my favorite episodes lately have emphasized others, like Herschel, Merle, or Morgan. Even the Governor episodes were a welcome change of pace, despite how revolted I was by the idea of a Governor Redemption arc. I want to know more about these people, what their take is on the zombie apocalypse and the backstory that informs how they came to survive so long. We've been with Rick so long that the only thing left to learn about his character is how he changes based on interactions with other characters. It'd have a lot more impact if we really understood where those characters were coming from.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maggie just lost someone close, so I think Beth and Glen are safe for now. And there ARE three black main characters at this point. Sadly, I'm betting on one of my Wire bros. Let's lock in with Tyreese, since Bob's ratmania still might have to come into play.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ovenmaster posted:

To be fair though in this particular case they couldn't telegraph harder that 'THESE PEOPLE ARE IMPORTANT' the way they all get out and pose for a group shot.

People say this every time and it's never true.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It'd be pretty great if it turned out that literally everyone was feeding the rats to the zombies for different reasons at different times without the others' knowledge.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

N We (I) often joked in this thread during the Woodbury arc about how the Govnor and his men were doomed because of all the exp Rick and Co. had earned through what they had been through, they were at like level 30 and the Govnor was level 2. Lizzie simply doesn't have the experience points necessary to cope with the world around her on the same level Rick & Co. do.

In the universe of TWD, having to kill your parent is like a level 25 boss mob, and if you don't have enough exp at that point to do it, you are going to get hosed up. poo poo, Carl had to do it, and he had seen some heavy poo poo up to that point, and it still hosed him (and Rick) up.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Is there any word if Morgan is coming back? He ruled.

He's too busy with Low Winter Sun, hahahaha

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Glen does suck now.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I don't get the family suicide pact night scene. I get the little girl turned first and they mutilated the painting and then blew her brains out before killing themselves. What I don't get is how they were just regular worn out husks. Their skulls seemed fine and there didn't look like there was any blood on the pillows, and they all seemed pretty carefully laid out. If they were killed through some method that wasn't getting pierced through the brain, why aren't they zombies?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Surlaw posted:

Suicide in the Walking Dead universe sends you to purgatory and not to hell and the reason we have zombies is that hell's full. Purgatory's still open, thus no zombies in the Pink Room, hope this helps.

But what about that guy who hung himself and was a zombie :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Kasonic posted:

I've given up on the apocalypse looking anything like the apocalypse thanks to TV budgets. It's been two years, the random cars they find should at the very least be covered in a thick coat of dust and weather, let alone having their engines rusted out or all the tires flat. Nope, chuck a little gas in this Nissan Rogue and it'll have us flying along with best-in-class mileage!

Come to think of it, we haven't seen much weather at all. I know snow's kind of rare in Atlanta but I don't remember it raining ever either.

• Locked thread