Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, they used the tried and true design for a reason. That reason is that it's a good design.

I don't remember the boots being so high. They kinda dominate the outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm really looking forward to JJ but some of those points are kinda bad, particularly #4. The DD fight scenes were amazing because they were well made fight scenes, not because it's martial arts fighting. "JJ can throw dudes" is not a particularly compelling reason to watch a show.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Rhyno posted:

One of the things about JJ is that as soon as she got powers she sewed a costume and started heroing. She never trained or learned to fight so her relying on brute strength to "just throw dudes" is actually true to the comic and character.

I know, I've read Alias, but as Skwirl said, DD had some amazing fights. Like "no blinking for minutes on end" fight scenes. The article says JJ's scenes are better but the reason given doesn't really speak to the high bar DD set.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

Do not watch that show.

Someone has to. For posterity.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aphrodite posted:

Did he rate them low and the viewers whined or he rated them high and the viewers told him how wrong he is?

Low but for weird reasons. If you think it sucks then fine but iirc the reasons/opinions tended to come from left field and felt poorly examined. I feel the same way about his comics reviews, like he's often reviewing them in a way I find unhelpful, and comments would seem to often find either errors in the review or severe misreads.

Not like that matters now with the website-killing changes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I marathoned through The Tick, kinda nice to only have to watch what's basically a long movie instead of 10-12 hours for the season. Overall I thought it was good, not great. Tick's actor is pretty superb, although it's a somewhat different take on Tick, in that there's more of a tilt towards "dangerously nuts". Arthur is also good, but while I think the focus on him was interesting, I can't help but hope that future seasons lean a bit more towards "traditional" Tick. I like the deeper-than-normal juxtaposition of goofy superhero antics vs real world effects, sort of like a more focused/smaller scope Venture Bros., but I can't help but dream for a live-action Chairface Chippendale.

That same focus meant that I didn't find it as comedic as I'd like - there were jokes, and some were great, and Tick's nearly-constant look of obliviousness is perfectly handled, but there were also stretches where character development/discussions kept things a bit on the slow side. Similarly, I get that Arthur is deeply damaged from his traumas but that same focus conflicted with my desire for "classic Tick action" - just put on the drat suit and stop whining about it so much. Yeah, it's Hero's Journey (he certainly seems at the halfway point by CLIFFHANGER, but when you know roughly where things are going to go from the comic, sometimes you just kinda want to get there.

My complaints are pretty minor, though, and the acting is on spot, the show is pretty fun (if you think the first episode is too dour it lightens quite a bit up immediately in episode 2), and I'll probably marathon the second half of S1 as soon as it airs.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I don't know, sounds pretty in line with the original run of comics just with a little more exploration of it's underlying themes.

It's been a while since I read them but I don't recall the comics having such a tilt towards the Arthur experience. A lot is a matter of degree; the show leaned hard towards Arthur's issues and how Tick orbits that.

Also being able to see Ticks eyes is different. It works for what they're doing but there's definitely a difference when a character built on naivety and semi-obliviousness has completely white, huge eyes and when that same character has windows into the soul.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

The shift to Arthur as the protagonist I believe is the hook of this series, and I like it. I haven't seen the last episode so spoilers up til then My eyes were ready to roll out of my head when I thought The Tick was just some Tyler Durden in Arthur's mind, so I was glad that they reverse-twisted us. I don't know about the Canon History of the Tick so this may be way off, but as it stands now I think that Arthur does actually have a superpower and that superpower manifested the Tick. Also that the Terror (JEH is great in this role) is literally in Arthur's head, like somehow he transferred his consciousness in there. If this is all revealed in the season finale then marvel at my powers of speculation.

Don't quit your day job.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It was literally published 57 minutes ago.

Looks pretty good, though.

Hopefully, they can avoid the "best villain is actually not really the villain and disappears halfway through the show" pratfall of the first season.

Also, isn't Cage still technically on the run?

Eh, there's nothing wrong with two 6-episode plots. JJ s1 would have benefited from something breaking up the purple man story (or just fewer episodes). Cage's problem was that the 2nd plot with Diamondback was terrible, and the season on the whole felt like it was trying to avoid being a superhero show (which imo has plagued a lot of Netflix shows).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lurdiak posted:

That's a symptom of trying to produce the shows like really, really long movies. This serial killer guy would be a fine 3 or even 5 episode villain, but I'm on eppisode 7 so far and Jessica just got a legal and thematic victory over him, a really satisfying one, even, yet there's 5 more episodes to go. If this guy was just a piece of a larger story being told throughout the season, I wouldn't be so tired of him, and the show'd be moving too fast to spend 80 hours on Trish and Hogart.

People endlessly complained about the pacing of the Netflix shows, and kept advocating for a reduced episode count, but the real issue was an unwillingness to resolve stories before the season finale. Kingpin's rise and fall in DD S1 could support 13 episodes. Killgrave and Jessica's war very nearly could, although there was a little bit of "get on with it" there. But these other seasons were begging for a shift in stakes and antagonists, a continuing story, a less decompressed take on the events. Daredevil Season 2 was the only season that tried something like that, shifting from "Holy poo poo, the Punisher!" to dealing with Elektra and The Hand. Unfortunately that latter half was executed horribly and Elektra was terribly cast, so maybe the poor reception scared them from ever changing the formula again.

Luke Cage s1 also did the 6 episode split thing but also had the same problem as DD s2 where the back half was terrible, and imo worse than DDs because at least the Hand pushed into the crazier superhero world and kept Punisher around to keep things sorta interesting , while LC killed off an S-rank actor in a great role and replaced it with a solid actor stuck in a garbage role and story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

XboxPants posted:

OK, how about this, off the top of my head, as a third option. Although she wasn't aware originally, Wanda is behind everything. Now, she's gradually realizing this and struggling with what to do, and as this is happening, her kids are getting further and further out of control and it turns out she's the only one who can stop them, which she does through a combination of powerful magic and also just speaking with them and showing emotional maturity. Basically a more flashy version of the scene where she told them they can't resurrect Sparky.

So she saves Westview and SWORD and is a flashy action hero, she transforms herself from an out of control trauma victim to a powerful woman capable of interacting with corruptible power and coming out the other side a hero, and she doesn't lose her agency like she would if she just shot Mephisto at the end.

I think the core problem with this approach is that most redemption arcs in comics (and most media) don't deal with Dr. Manhattan-level powers. Sentry is treated as a perpetual threat. Hal had to be killed. The X-men largely ignore the issue (although Hickman might be engaging it) and is a ridiculous mess anyway. The MCU has not really dealt with an Earth-based threat on Wanda's level that doesn't result in the threat being killed, except maybe Hulk, who still got launched off-planet after AoU, and Dormammu which is probably part of the next "phase". I think in the MCU, the in-universe response to a threat like Wanda (assuming full responsibility) is killing it, and that outcome being considered sorta unfortunate but fully justified. This is because the MCU is still trying to sorta adhere to the "real world", vs the comic world where living in NYC is basically the act of an insane person who lusts for death.

If Wanda is fully responsible then she is actively and knowingly mindraping thousands of people and every second she continues to do so is an immense injustice to those people, and would probably be a huge elephant in the room in any future movie.