Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Barry Convex posted:

If Deadline's sources on this are good, Marvel apparently has some very ambitious TV plans for the next few years... which, despite their corporate ownership, may not necessarily involve traditional broadcast or cable networks.

This sounds like an excellent strategy to me. This way they are able to take a few more risks while simultaneously playing it safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What is the context of the cover-up quote? It could just be that they're covering up the fact that they tried to, you know, nuke the city.

Also, I really want Coulson to turn out to be a Skrull who lost his memory after he got bonked on the head. I think that would single-handedly justify every poor decision they've made with that show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Coulson is Mystique.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DynamicSloth posted:

Also this show is based on Marvel Comics, and in Marvel comics citizens aren't constantly wandering around freaked out by all the aliens and demigods running around blowing up the city every couple of days it's just a convention of the genre that society reverts to a semblance of relatable normality no matter what kind of crazy poo poo happened last week.

I mean, I honestly think this is how things would actually happen. Let's take 9/11 - people were lounging around in coffee shops not too far away from the towers later that day. I don't think it's a stretch. People gotta get on with their lives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't see why we can't have them all in the 70s - the Luke Cage series being blaxploitation, the Iron Fist series be a Shaw Brothers homage, the Daredevil series be akin to Carnahan's Death Wish-esque take, and Jessica Jones being, uh, Rockford Files? Dirty Harry? I'm not very familiar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

The first commercial for Batman '66 has been released, and it will contain all 120 episodes. Hopefully the set won't be too cost prohibitive.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/306887-comic-con-first-promo-for-batman-the-complete-television-series

I really hope that's not indicative of actual quality of the scans. I'm not even a nerd about this stuff, but those blacks looked really crushed and the whole thing looked a bit muddy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would kill for a live action Spider-Man show that played up how hard everyday life would be to be a teenaged superhero and toned down the over-the-top cinematic web slinging.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean like Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Blow your season's effects budget on one or two big action sequences, let the rest be a (really well written) high school drama that involves a kid who leads a double life as Spider-Man.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:(

e: I did specify well written...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
http://www.slashfilm.com/agent-carter-directors/

Louis D’Esposito, Russo brothers, and possibly Joe Johnson announced as Agent Carter directors.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, very strange that the Marvel TV panel is over and we didn't hear about Dominic Cooper or Neal McDonough returning, and nothing about the Netflix shows. I guess they'll save any big Netflix stuff for the Hall H presentation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think the happiest Daredevil could make me is if they just use the TGRI canister prop from TMNTII in the origin story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Renner is a great character actor, he's a terrible leading man. The MCU Hawkeye seems to be more in the leading man mode, but if they chose to do something interesting with the character Renner could be great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Not having seen Arrow, that actor looks exactly like David Hasselhoff with the Fury eyepatch and a full Evil Spock goatee.

Also, I love how every screenshot of Arrow I see makes it look exactly like the top-of-the-line fan films from 2007.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Somebody please tell me that this costume is meant to look intentionally bad

Because if not, I've lost a whole lot of faith in the Powers TV show
. I would say the vast majority of amateurs doing cosplay looks better than that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would watch the gently caress out of that Archie show if it was a 50s period bubblegum setting. They'll probably just make it modern day and it'll just be like any other teen drama though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
First Peggy Carter Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V13W9gQ_1GA#t=118

Look pretty fuckin good to me.

Also: heh, was that the same boat from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TwoPair posted:

[*]Entire story ends with everyone inevitably dead is a downer.

You get to see Kara as a baby, and Krypto being born!

But really, the best plot I can think of for the show is starting the series with Jor-El sending baby Kal-El away, knowing that the planet is doomed, but not exactly when. We then watch Kara Zor-El grow up in the family of a known conspiracy theorist scientist who seems crazy, but suspecting that the only means of escape has already been used by her cousin and that she and her planet are doomed to die. The show is essentially Rome or Game of Thrones where everyone is fighting politically about the ecological crisis, leaning heavily on global warming denier allegory, manipulation of the people and the media for political gain at the expense of Kryptonian's futures. Kara grows up having to grow strong and defiant in a social and political climate dominated by fear, unease, and mistrust. Over time, Jor-El gains supporters, but it's too late, and the series ends with her jumping in a cryotube as the planet is falling apart, then flashes to "15 years later..." and Superman's spaceship shines a light on her face, still living amongst the rocky asteroids created by her destroyed planet.

Iiiiiiiif only there wasn't a Supergirl TV show coming out that made all of that impossible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Mechad Brooks has been cast as Jimmy Olsen in the Supergirl series.

Handsomest Jimmy Olson of all time?

Also is it just me or does "Mechad Brooks" found super Jewish?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone want to go catch some roller derby?

Oh, no, wait, that's The Atom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really like the leggings. More class than I expected.

Would have liked a high collar, though. That comic version a few posts ago is terrible, but I love my Superpeople high collared like that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Full Daredevil trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAy6NJ_D5vU

Looks like a TV show to me. Nothing super exciting there, but I like the tone and it makes me at least hopeful. Really irritating color grading to my eyes, though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well Superherohype just posted a pretty glowing review of the full series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Agent Carter Season 2 takes place in Los Angeles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:stare: Supergirl looks amazing, and that's from someone who thinks Agents of Shield and Arrow/The Flash look goofy and cheap. I will 100% be watching this before it gets canceled for surely being too expensive.

E: though yeah that conversation about the name was pretty cringey.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Imagine someone trying to adapt The Invisibles today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Agent Carter and Daredevil are the closest thing we have to Prestige Shows™, but some of the others are good for some goofy fun.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hey look, it's Lady and Mr. Wolverine from Legends of Tomorrow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

http://io9.com/y-the-last-man-is-fi...Ffull+%28io9%29

Y: The Last Man might (won't) get made into a TV show now.

I mean, with Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead's numbers they'd be stupid not to.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Why make an Archie show if you're not going to make an Archie show?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On a non-JJ note, has anyone watched The Amazing Spider-Man live action 70s TV show? Is it fun in an Incredible Hulk kind of way, or just it just fall totally flat today?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite part about that trailer is that it was so visually dark that it forced me to clean my monitor to be able to stand watching it.

e: Word out of SXSW is that Preacher is very good.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 15, 2016

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was super wary of Tick casting since I love Warburton so much. This is certainly a way to pique my interest in a very positive way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Total outside perspective: I tried to watch the Supergirl/Flash crossover episode, having not seen any of Supergirl or The Flash. I ended up skipping through it after a while because jesus was there a bunch of boring interpersonal drama in between the cool bits.

I mean, I didn't know any of the characters so I wasn't going to be invested in them anyway, but I can't imagine any scenario where I'd be into those scenes as written.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I was pretty lukewarm at the start of it but I think I'm somewhat enjoying it now.

I just don't understand this attitude. Like, surely there's something to watch that won't waste your time as much as something you only somewhat enjoy after viewing a large number of episodes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Only if you include the bad spin-offs, which nobody in their right mind should.

The bad spinoffs include:

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Enterprise
Every movie but Khan and ST09

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So let's get this straight. Riverdale is Teen Twin Peaks with a nice healthy dose of the statutory rape of Archie by a teacher?

Cool. Definitely the Archie I grew up reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

omg chael crash posted:

I honestly had no idea this many people actually cared about Archie

Clearly you were never bored in the grocery store while your parents were shopping in the 90s.

I watched Batman and Superman the AnImated Series, but wasn't into superhero comics all that much when I was young - mostly because they were so dark and violent and Xtreme during that era. I was a timid little boy so I read Archie and Richie Rich and Uncle Scrooge and whatnot. I assume there are a lot of people like me, and then also the weird Christian kids who weren't allowed to read anything else.