Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I'm glad they are self-aware and trying to change the entire layout of the story for quality assurance. One of the best aspects to have as a writer is to notice when your work is starting to dwindle. Integrity and quality are two entirely different things and them responding to criticism exactly the opposite of how a team like Bioware's would is the best approach. Killing your darlings is sometimes necessary, but sometimes things can be salvaged. Giving Scarlet the backseat this early on can hopefully open up some great new avenues for them to explore. I have to admit, I'm kinda intrigued by this tower of toxicity thing they have going on. Also makes the krait easier to fight.

Although they missed their opportunity to call them the "Toxic Avengers" instead of the Toxic Alliance. Copyrights and all that, I'm guessing, but that's what I'm calling them.

Edit: ^^ Yeah, those dialogue lines...yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

SlothBear posted:

Since they nerfed the bunker ele into the ground it has been pretty lackluster in spvp. But they are lots of fun in large scale wvw due to all their aoe dps, support, and control abilities.

When you Tornado a bunch of people off a cliff in WvW, then you will have experienced pure joy.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Anet's cutscenes are usually pretty good (like the film noir Logan) but the one with Scarlet in the tower was just awful.

:byodame: I WAS BEHIND THE AETHERBLADES AND THE MOLTEN ALLIANCE!

Collective player response:

:what: Yeah. We know.

Like, everything in the background is okay. Everything in the foreground is terrible. And don't even get me started on the narration.

They were just summing it all up so that she's satisfied and gets to leave forever.

Don't ruin this for us.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Does any of this update reveal anything about Scarlet's background? Cause I was thinking, maybe in her universe or whatever abbadon wasn't killed? Maybe that's why she's so loving unbearable, all the major npcs involved with abbadon in nightfall were too.

No, it was literally "I did all of the bad things in the Living Story, tee hee, bye!" with no explanation as to why, how, or when. The only good thing to take from this is we won't be dealing with Scarlet for a good amount of time.

At least Abaddon had the reasons, the abilities, and the motivation to do everything he did and it was explained well enough. I will defend that retcon forever.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

rap music posted:

It's not about hitting and playing at cap, really. You can do a lot of stuff the 80s are doing while you are leveling so just have fun doing whatever interests you.

WvW is great for leveling alts, too. It's really the best "endgame" in this game.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

- Getting a WXP callout as the gate dies

I'm 22/30 on the achievement, so I'm in a pretty good way as far as completing it by end of season goes. But I'd rather not waste my resources or my world's as I flail around in an attempt to destroy 8 more gates.

I believe this is the "notification" that you participated in the destruction of a wall/gate. Once you get this callout, then you get the cheev point. How it calculates if you participated is completely baffling. I have been on a buffed ram doing 10k damage a hit and not gotten any credit, while other times I just auto-attacked with my low-level necromancer and gotten credit. It's bugged in some regards.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

You gotta be loving making GBS threads me. :ughh:

No wonder everyone goes zerk.

I'm not familiar with gear, is there any gear set that would give me best condi but no toughness?

The reason everyone goes zerk is that they want to do as much damage as quickly as possible because getting extra vit/toughness just lets you survive one extra hit.

The way this game is centered around not relying on healing/tanks is that you basically need to kill the monsters as quick as you can before they get their pressure going. Staying alive longer doesn't amount to anything if the end result is your opponent kills you anyway because you couldn't kill them first. Vit/Toughness is good in WvW because staying alive in a zerg is actually useful and is the entire point of zerging.

But Healing Power is useless; never take it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Yeah, not even I can defend why Scarlet exists at this point. Abaddon was at least hinted at before Nightfall came out, and even he didn't have his hand in every pot in the end. Scarlet is just being given too much credit for doing things for no motivation at all. Why should we care about a character that doesn't care about anything at all?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Oh. Ooooooh... Wow. That's a tradition because people found a way to hit 20 pre-searing in GW1.

Well, sure, but there was kind of a point of staying in pre-searing Ascalon. It was an area that would change to hell once you left the tutorial. Unless you love constant rain in that small instance, I guess it's understandable?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

https://soundcloud.com/scarletbriar/dragons

Goddamnit...

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

This update is what sPvP actually needed: a reason for PvEers to want to get into sPvP.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

"Arcane Brilliance: Arcane. Blast the target area, hitting foes with critical damage and healing yourself. Healing effectiveness is increased per target hit."

What's that? My ele gets ANOTHER blast finisher? Why, thank you!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Gross, they're changing Arcane Wave to be a range targeted skill, while the new heal is PBAoE. Also, no heals will be instant after all. Also every new heal skill is 25 skill points to unlock across the board (all modes).

Goddamnit. Just...goddamnit.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Elona is the far south tip (I think) of our current Tyria landmass, south of the Crystal Desert. Cantha is a different continent entirely.

Hell, their entire in-game globe hints at how much they could add to the game/franchise. The three campaigns are a tiny part of the actual world.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

metacorder posted:

It isn't the same probability distribution, it's the same expected value.

I've been doing fgs train for mats and it seem's pretty meh - If I recall I was averaging 6-7 t6 per hour. Honestly, I think it is better to farm mobs than the champ train for t6 (esp. With high mf), but I haven't tried that extensively so can't give concrete numbers.

Doing SE path 1 nets you 5 champ bags in 10 minutes, a good amount of gold, and tokens for Knight's/Soldier's gear. I just farm that once a day and I keep up pretty well.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Retrospective Stream Up!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Tivac posted:

My thoughts exactly, and I played GW1.

Yeah, besides, GW2 is a completely different game than GW1, so hiring new people for development and such doesn't really hurt at all. In fact, more new blood might help them out in the long run.

I say this and I really badly want to write for them :kiddo:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

ShadowMoo posted:

Why does everyone hate rangers :<

They were goddamn amazing in GW1, but in this game, they are pretty limited and underclassed in their roles. Thieves are better at applying conditions as a physical-focused class, Warrior is better at ranged-DPS, Elementalists are better at mobility and catching targets, Engineers are more versatile, Necromancers have better survivability and "traps," and Mesmers have more reliable and useful pets. They also have a very limited amount of CCs and despite their name, the most useful they are at is up-close-and-personal, and even that is bad considering sword 1 roots you in place. Their only saving grace is their spirits, and even that is flimsy.

In GW1, they could spread poison like it was nothing, interrupt more reliably than a Mesmer, had pretty decent AoE, more variety in their roles in all aspects of the game, more spirits to use, and were decent and sometimes overpowered when using a melee-weapon, even when they weren't supposed to. A good ranger was a great asset to a team instead of a massive hindrance.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

sound_again posted:

If the classes are so well-balanced that the statistically squishier classes have mitigation to compensate, what is the way to go with zerker D/D eles in dungeons?

I'm not just trying to be snarky, I'm legitimately curious if anyone has ideas on this, because I just seem to go down a lot no matter my cantrips, trait choices, what have you.

Not that I run zerker d/d ele much in dungeons anyway. And yes, I dodge.

Usually a trait set-up that enhances your defenses, mostly revolving around putting 30 in Water Magic. Also taking the trait in Arcane that gives you boons when you switch attunements, which will give you regen when switching to water and protection when switching to earth. D/D Eles also have Frost Aura (free 10% damage reduction), Shock Aura (stuns foes on contact), an AoE knockback, AoE knockdown, AoE chill, two AoE heals, an AoE cripple, an AoE weakness spell, and two ways to quickly get out of combat. And that is only their dagger spells. Taking utility skills that also boost your survivability (Mist Form, Armor of Earth, Arcane Shield, etc) help out a bunch. Using your elite elemental glyph to get you a Water/Earth elemental adds another tough pet to soak up some of the aggro from you, or even Fiery Greatsword (the best elite ever) has some great escape skills that double as good damage dealers.

The playstyle is the hardest but most crucial to master, too. While D/D focuses on getting up close and personal to deal your damage, you have to think of yourself as more of a spiker than a DPSer. You are a glass cannon with a few cheat skills, that's it. Elementalists are the weakest armor class in the game, and for a reason. If you can manage to be the last one in the fray and the first one out while also getting your combo off (most people prefer to do Air 4 -> Air 5 -> Fire 3 -> Fire 5 -> Fire 4 -> Earth 4 -> Earth 5/Water 3 -> Water 2 + Water 3, and then get out) and dealing most/all your damage and living to tell the tale, then you have pretty much got it down. This doesn't really work when having to stack certain mobs, but no one is going to blame you for dying in that situation.

Practice makes perfect. Hope that helped.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Or you could ask guildies to help.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Captain Backslap posted:

Right. I'm sure. I do the same thing for other people.

I was making a statement of displeasure about the state of the game, in general sense, and not specific to my own experiences. As in: I bet it really isn't fun for a brand new player trying to do things on his own before he either ropes friends in to the game with him or stumbles on a guild or random person who doesn't vanish into thin air after they're done with whatever event it is they just finished. I hate that newbies won't get to see the game world as active as it was a year ago. There isn't a fix that I am looking for.

It's really hard to get anyone to do early content after even a month after a game's release. They have definitely made an effort to help this, but in the end, you will have to rely on either yourself or a friend or at least someone who is forced to see your name all the time. We aren't being rude to you or anything, and it isn't the game's fault; it's just the mindset of the player community in any MMO. And hey, newbies can always join guilds, too!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Is this the same guy who wanted female charr as mounts?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Also, when's everyone gonna share their elementalists?

Oh...

I will when I finish the Fallout look I'm going for, damnit!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Okay, Fallout character attempt 1:

Not the best I could do, but I like it.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Ussr posted:

It seems I need to post this little slice of heaven again then...

The name's Fart Simpson. Don't have a yak man.

WHY ISN'T HIS SHIRT RED?!?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Probably derailed by Scarlet.

Actually, seeing as how it was released during Halloween that year and it was part of the tons of dynamic events they added in that time, they probably didn't think enough people cared for it and dropped them.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

The next... 4, I think, living story updates are the end.

This is cool, since it further reinforces March as being the best month of 2014.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

First GW2 screenshots now? Okay, here's mine: testing out the warhorn skills for ranger on a large enemy:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

http://imgur.com/a/Ykv4r#1

Pretty impressive, I've gotta say.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Weissritter posted:

So this magic find system is nice in that it is account wide, though I am curious on what is a good percentage to 'settle' on. Currently I am salvaging everything I loot to get the luck consumables. Will there be a time when it is high enough so I should TP things, or is salvaging everything the way to go?

It's maxed at 300% (from the luck stat, not overall MF) so you don't have to worry about the game forcing you to keep consuming luck. Just do whatever you want in that regard.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Tivac posted:

Too be fair, Jennah's the one responsible for the T&A bots.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchknight

Scarlet's just guilty of over-using them & then making a T&A Jaeger.

Lemme be a writer over there just so I can write in that the players invoke a Karka Kaiju to combat her Clock Jaeger, please.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Ok so on the official forums they are having a collaborative discussion with the players on horizontal character progression. People kept bringing up subclasses, which aren't going to be looked into at this time due to current class balancing efforts and the fact that the balancing on that would be loving nuts. But it has been mentioned that new weapon sets are a good possibility to happen, right?

Well I kinda had an idea earlier today that sorta mixed the two together. Who says subclassing has to be the same as in GW1 after all? Here's my idea. It's probably terrible, but I dunno, maybe I'm onto something.

The issue here is you are still giving them way too many skills to make and balance. Also, all of those could easily be new traits instead of adding in a whole new system. Traits are already pretty much skill modifiers, so simply adding more with this kind of thing in mind would be a lot easier.

Edit: Not saying this is a terrible idea; It's actually a good way of blending classes together that I have toyed with, but devs would be more inclined to add something to something that already exists rather than a new system that would stack on more complications (which the game balance still has, no one can argue that).

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 16, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

They are going to be looking into, or at least holding a discussion, on the possibilities of adding in subclasses at a later date. Sometime this month, I think.

I figured while they were talking about adding new weapon types in I might as well post what I thought of. So yeah, while it would complicate a system they're still developing, it's something they do want to look into. Or at least hear feedback about.

I do agree that the extra skills might be a bit much though. I will stand by the weapons though, I really like that idea.

Yeah, adding new weapons to classes *crosses fingers for Hammer Rangers* is completely doable and they even discussed doing that in the future. If they already have plans for subclasses, then adding in specific traits requiring those subclasses is another possibility.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

metacorder posted:

I really wish that anet would fix the easily exploitable mob pathing and los behavior (read: stacking in corners) and remove the option of skipping trash mobs. To be honest I don't care that zerker stat distributions do the most damage against dungeon bosses, I just care that every dungeon run is treated like a speed run with the goal of skipping as much as possible.

The main reason people skip mobs in dungeons (besides speedrunning) is because the enemies just take way too drat long to kill. If they dropped in like five seconds, just like the normal trash mobs in GW1, then they would be more bearable to deal with. Right now, they are just tanks of HP that you don't have to deal with to progress.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm following this, but did they basically say that they are reducing the effectiveness of crit damage by 10% and changing the name to Ferocity just because the damage formula is different?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Two-handed weapons will now have two sigil slots instead of just one, sigils will have unique cooldowns instead of all sharing the same cooldown (I.E., two different sigils used to share the same cooldown on proc instead of their stated cooldown), and nerfs to runes because people were mixing and matching for boon and condition duration.

FROZEN BURST NOW A BLAST FINISHER! YES! GIVE ELES ALL THE BLAST FINISHERS!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Oh thank god, they caught a bug in Spirit of Nature that made it heal more than it should, and decided to buff it even further.

And adding combo fields to traps, yes!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

They are talking way too much about Healing Signet, holy crap.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Yeah, I was expecting the Buttbot fight to be the weakest part of the update, but it was actually pretty fun, a bit challenging, and rewarding enough to do again even if you fail it. It's still a lame DPS race but less so than the triwurm and at least minimal coordination is needed with each segmented path being used to divide up the players. Plus the way the platforms rise each time a chain is severed and the Marionette has new attacks to compensate is a very cool feature, especially coupled with the new(?) attack indicators that make it crystal clear as to what is going to be hit.

I am probably going to be torched for saying this, but I think they hit a sweetspot with the "loot" you get from the trash mobs in the fight, too. For those who don't know, each mob type drops a token of sorts for their own affiliation (Molten Alliance, Watchknight, etc) and when you get 25 of them, you can double-click the stack to get a new token (or is it a key? I forget) that you use on the chests in her Secret Lair for a reward. It might be a cop-out, but I definitely see where Anet is coming from (we killed a BUNCH of trash, too, so the loot would've been unmanageable anyway) and at least this way we are still rewarded for our efforts and have a non-cluttering reason to tag all the mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

So, BG managed to get all three wurms down, but then they had to take down the decapitated wurm heads in two minutes time. Normally, this would be easy, except the heads flop around and can't be immobilized. I'm sure there is probably a pattern to where they land, but that is yet another obstacle you have to overcome.

Overall, I'm kinda impressed by how long this is taking and how much is involved, but making the megaboss just another group of wurms is a big waste of artistic talent and creativity.

• Locked thread