Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Also, is the Digital Deluxe Edition worth the extra $12? https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

The stuff you get isn't really worth it if you ask me, at least not real money. If you're really passionate about the game and want the stuff in it, you can easily collect enough ingame gold to buy the collector's upgrade via the ingame trading post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I heard earth shield was overhauled? Can't be that bad!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Or just farm gold for 5 days and simply buy it from the TP. 110 gold isn't that "impossible".

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Elysiume posted:

The latter. The endgame is collecting items so you can dress up and be the fanciest.

And it's way less lovely than it sounds. Some of the most prettiest gear is pretty hard to come by.

This thread also made me realize one thing; the thousand hours I've put into my guardians are apparently peanuts. :downs:

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 21, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Why do Braham pants have holes in them? :flipstable:

edit: My horrible first attempt at getting rid of my human Cultural tier 3 addiction.

:negative:

Thought of going with the Arah pants, but everyone's already using those. (Like the vigil helmet :ssh:)

Batham fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 21, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

The main problem with the WvW season is that moving as one massive blob has become even more popular than ever. Creating a lag free zone when 500 people are basically standing ontop of each-other in SM, is simply too expensive with this business model I'd say.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Elysiume posted:

When was zerging ever not the primary strategy?

It always was and so was the lag when 3 zergs meet in the center.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

5g to the Arah jar please, thanks.

Talking about gold and Arah, the selling of Arah paths is really getting out of hand. I know Anet approves of users selling their paths, but there's a difference between guiding people through a dungeon and exploiting past half of the dungeon. They should really close off the gap in front of Lupi that allows you to move through the entire dungeon, straight to the last boss.

Edit: A bunch of new halloween town clothes have been released on the TP. Most notably the executioner's armor, which also includes a two-handed axe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfoAROJeuG0

Unfortunately, they're townclothes. But it shows 2-handed axes are more than just a pipedream!

Batham fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 22, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

malhavok posted:

I don't understand why the bloody prince, executioner and mad king outfits can't be new light/medium/heavy armor sets instead of retarded town clothes. I would buy one of each if my characters could actually use them in combat.

I'm in the same boat. The second these would become normal armor I'd buy them. Heck, if the two-handed axe was a sepperate hammer skin that cost 800 gems I'd still buy it in a second.

Town clothes are simply useless and it's a shame these great looking armor sets are tossed away like that.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Lack of experience combined with the fact that you are, and should be, nowhere near a match to a fully exotic level 80 while you are level 2 in white armor, is the main reason.

Edit: unless you're talking about spvp, where bunker builds reign supreme. :v:

Batham fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 22, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I'll bet you 20 gold that you still need to finish arah path 4.

Cephid posted:

Someone who was more familiar with TA would have to confirm which path it replaced.

It replaced the appropriately named f-u path. :v:

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 23, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Arah path 3 is the easiest and fastest one.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So are there any prolonged sieges anymore in WvW? Most fights seem to be over in absolute seconds, and nobody tries to take even slightly defended forts.

Depends where you play I guess, in the Eu's silver bracket most of the time everyone is just capping eachother's undefended keeps. Sieges either last 5 minutes or are aborted and an easier target is looked for.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Lyer posted:

I honestly would advise leveling a warrior as a 2nd or 3rd alt (I have one too) because you'll get so frustrated at how slow/more effort you have to put into stuff with other classes in comparison. :v:

And a group cannot have enough warriors for basically anything you can do in this game. If I'd get a copper for everytime I've been asked "Do you have a warrior?" I would've been able to simply buy 2 legendaries by now.

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 24, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Visidan posted:

Which groups are asking you this? I've still yet to be asked and I PuG alot on my ranger. Granted I don't zone in with a longbow/bear and rangers are considered one of the better classes in dungeons now but still that's some bad luck.

I was mostly talking about pugs from a guardian point of view. Often enough you end up with 2 guardians in a group and for some reason many pugs are allergic to that. Seeing as I almost exclusively play guardian, I run into that situation a lot.

Visidan posted:

If you really want a low effort "I don't give a gently caress" class go for a guardian not a warrior. You can alt-tab most bosses in the game with a full zerker + AH build no dodging required, any difficult boss and you can just put up a reflect wall for the most part.

I seriously disagree with this statement. A build that comes even close to that means you hit like a wet noodle, and still requires you to use some of your abilities. When it comes to dealing damage and tanking, a warrior is comparable to a ranger and his pet, minus the ranger. They're that passive and boring to play. On top of that, they don't have to make the same sacrifices we need to do in order to get really defensive. Their damage and (signet of) healing also remains absurd while in tanking mode. The other day I saw a warrior just facetank the last boss in HoTW part 1 without ever moving, while still laying down the hurt. That's something you simply can't do as a guardian.

But now I'm comparing guardians with the überclass again. :v:

Batham fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 25, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

You're pugging high level FoTM? You're a brave man, sir. :v:

Edit:

StarkWhite posted:

They're capable of tremendous projectile blocking via wall of reflection, spirit shield, and sword 3, have great access to aegis and permavigor, plus a constant, powerful self-regen that can be taken along with a spike heal.

Warriors actually have access to most of these too, apart from reflecting. When talking about the powerful heal, I hope you're not referring to virtue of resolve, because it pales in comparison to the healing signet over time. Concerning flat out invulnerability; warriors have access to this too, minus the fact that they can actually still use abilities while using it. But yes, guardians are valued for high level fractals for their wall of reflection, which I consider a support ability, but (I) you usually don't pug these. Also, don't forget that warriors have about 8k more baseline HP, not 3k.

StarkWhite posted:

If you saw a warrior facetank a boss, that had nothing to do with the warrior being godlike, and everything to do with either a thief or an engineer spamming blinds on the boss. Warriors are easily one of the squishier classes in the PvE game, and they're not valued for that. They're great for boosting party DPS and keeping themselves buffed heavily in a lovely or quickly moving party. That's it.

No, there really wasn't.

Batham fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 25, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Forgall posted:

Guild Wars 2: hi guys ~ i'm tank

Exactly why I screenshotted it. My first thought was "welp, this is going to end well".

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Guardians are the kings of support, I'll never dispute that. Just not when it comes to mindlessly combine damage with tankyness. Warriors can autopilot that.

Batham fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 25, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

teagone posted:

Is cleric armor good for any kind of guardian build?

The players that I've seen using it were mostly "Healaway" builds. Usually though, I've seen people just stick with a cleric weapon (mostly hammer) and use different gear like knight/soldier(pvp)/zerker for their armor and trinkets, even for support builds.

edit: Healaway build

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 26, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

You can also spend gems to get more keys, what's not to like?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Dat healing signet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoqV7ZHvv8M

Someone earlier in the thread said that the burst healing on the warrior healing signet was weak, and that's true. It's also why you never use it, even in pvp, because the passive healing is too drat strong and will do far more healing after only a couple of seconds.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Non whites/girls/mesmers/purples need not apply.

But, one of you is a vegetable!

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

shrach posted:

It really will not do far more healing in a couple of seconds. At base it is ~400 per second versus healing surge which can do ~10,000 every 30 secs.

The advantages are when you are taking constant damage or using your burst skills and not having it interrupted and being able to continue to attack. This is why for most pve you want the burst and most pvp you want the signet.

I disagree with this, because the damage that you don't need to avoid is gradual and the trinket will make up for that after a mere 8 seconds (base, it's even less if you have any form of +healing). Using the active will net you about half of the healing you'd receive otherwise and force you to move out of harms way or use avoidance a lot sooner than when leaving the signet alone. I've not yet been in a situation where using the burst healing would be a payoff, including fractals. At least, this is what I found out during my experiences in the game

Mattavist posted:

That video is a thing because regen warriors do next to no damage.

Just making sure, in case you were referring to the point I was trying to make, I did not link it to show that regen warriors can't kill each other. I linked it to show how fast they can recover their health.

VVV I disagree with the statement that you need burst healing on burst fights, because the damage that you don't have to avoid is too gradual. VVV

Edit: And the healing signet's passive scales better than the activate because after a period of 16 seconds (the shortest possible CD) it'll have benefitted by a factor of 0.8 compared to 0.5.

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 27, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I'll post my build later, because I have to leave soon, but a neat trick for GS guardians to keep in mind is the following:

Turn of "melee assist" under general options and stand inside of an enemy when you use Whirling Wrath (2). You will hit the enemy's hitbox several times more than usual this way.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I'd swear that's the light armor from Sorrow's Embrace.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I never clicked "buy" so fast as when I saw that new armor for my guardian.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Why is it that I do dungeon runs with level 80 no fun allowed twats and we wipe a bunch, then I do a dungeon with a random pub group, all 40's, one person had never been to Ascalon period, and it goes smooth as gently caress, like super goddamn smooth, not s single wipe and enemies went down in seconds.

They all played their class roles perfectly.

In order to avoid terrible runs where we wipe every 2 minutes, I actively avoid people that have 8-9k achievement points or more. Why? Because they never loving listen. Something goes wrong? Other people are to blame and they immediately ditch the party. This weekend I was helping a guildy get her CM armor and we got 3 people with around 1k achievement points, that were between levels 50 to 70, for path 2.

The run went smooth and without a hitch, because they listened and did what I told them to do. I can't count the times people kept banging their heads against the door where you need to plant the kegs, because they prefer to wipe for half an hour than spend 2 minutes explaining and agreeing on how we're going to do it and/or what needs to happen.

And the thing is, I've been doing a lot of pugs these past few months and it's a noticeable pattern that keeps repeating itself.

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 30, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

A lot of people don't seem to realize that you can simply get the new heal by spending 25 skill points in your skill menu. :effort:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

e: So what is even the point of this dumb patch?

A new mob type! Elites!

But no, seriously, I'm wondering the same thing. Me and my guildies were hoping for a new dungeon, but I guess we'll just have to do with rifts from Rift without the loot I guess?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

From my experiences the past 3-4 months, yes, it is absolutely imperative that the entire party needs to be on one line concerning tactics. Like I also said before, people with high achievement points generally expect that the entire party is used to the strat they run and generally are quick on the trigger to bail. Places like the new TA path especially highlighted this to me.

Other examples are in AC. You stack to kill the spider boss and it targets the NPC, or someone dodged too far for some reason, and it releases its poisons. Happens sometimes, but I had plenty of party groups being kicked out of the dungeon because the leader couldn't "bother with it". Another example is the last boss of path 2 in AC. People agree to set at least 2 traps, but someone insists "nah we can do it with only one" and triggers the boss while the rest of the party is scattered. I've had similar experiences with other paths in other dungeons. From my experiences, this group tends to be a lot more toxic and have the least patience.

It requires only a single line or a small command from someone like "stack here" for something to go smooth or terribly wrong. If you think that I meant that I was writing whole textbooks concerning commands during pugs with experienced people, then I think you have little experience with pug'ing. And that's where new players in general are more flexible in. They don't know the place, or don't know it well enough and are far more open to input. I personally usually end up with a mix of people between 3k and 7k achievement points when I pug, and that's fine. But when someone with 11k achievement points created the party or dungeon, my experiences have taught me time and time again to be weary.

When I run a dungeon with my guild, we're used to each other's tactics and communication is almost non existent concerning the dungeons. But for pug's my experiences have simply proven the opposite. If you claim I'm wrong, then so be it. You might have had different experiences than I had. Finally, if you claim that I'm avoiding players with high achievement points, then I'm sorry but you're wrong. I stated that I prefer to avoid them when it comes to pugs in dungeons.

Batham fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 30, 2013

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your exact line was "I actively avoid people that have 8-9k achievement points or more", so we're not claiming anything incorrectly. Your explanation makes sense, but it's still a weird kind of reverse-elitism. Maybe you should join a goon guild and stop pugging?

Thank you for the offer Arus, I'd like to have the rays from your god-sized waste to shine on me, but I really like my current guild. :) The main reason I pug a lot these days is because my working hours leave me free during the afternoon, when many of my guildies aren't online. During the evening, I stick to guild runs.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

There are a couple of SE paths which are very quick, and I hear good things about HotW 1. There's probably 10g + every day if you're willing to put in the time and pug all the less horrible dungeons.

Yeah, SE path 1 & 2 are extremely quick. Path 1 is almost as fast as CoF p1 and path 3 is more comparable to CoF p2.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Not sure what to think of the guardian changes, especially since they're increasing our condition damage.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

So, they nerfed the kegs in CM's 2nd path.

:flipstable:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Lyer posted:

I've discovered the wonderful world of guardian mace and shield. Only darkness lies down this path doesn't it?

The mace is a wonderful defensive weapon that makes a noticeable difference even without traiting for it. The shield part...unfortunately you're most likely using it as an ornament if you're playing PvE. Why the focus is an all-round better choice in most situations while something iconic (for a guardian) like a shield isn't, still boggles my mind.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I guess this is the point where they've officially jumped the shark?

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Well, they keep balancing for all 5 people that give a poo poo about it so it's not far of the truth.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

I don't know who keeps making them, but the champions in the tower that have one-shot mechanics are simply not fun.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was really easy too, absolutely soloable.

The champions blocking the gates are going to be a real pain for solo players, though. The only way to avoid those is if another group cleared them before you.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Visidan posted:

The champs can be killed with 2-3 people anyway, instead of 50 or whatever that drat lich took.

Yeah, that's what I like about these champions. Just wish they'd leave the one shot mechanics out of it (see: the giant wurm). Also, how sure are you about the gatekeepers being scaled down? I've seen the other champions along the way get scaled down when there are few people near, but the gate keepers were always champions.

Not saying it's bad, just not sure if it'll be entirely solo-able.

Batham fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 13, 2013

• Locked thread