Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

13 INCH DICK posted:

I've got a wicked dry cough that doesnt seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

It's been nice knowing you dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say this? Other than the occasional "Take this to the dealership for a trained technician to do" on more complicated jobs, I've found them to be very useful. In fact I pretty much learned how to do a ton of repair stuff from using mine when working on my Jeep.

It seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle. Generally, older>newer, domestic>import, and truck>car when it comes to usability. Ergo the one I have for my 91 Blazer, while not quite as in-depth as the factory service manual I picked up later, has a lot of good info in it, where as the one for my last-gen Protege was garbage when I flipped through it at the store. About the same page count, but a lot more taken up by wiring diagrams, so there's a lot less detail in the mechanical repair sections. Great if you ever have electrical issues, I guess.

But for $30 a FSM is absolutely the way to go.

If he survives the night, that is. :stonk:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
As a teen I used to smoke the little paper skins from peanuts, ground up, inside a spent .357 casing with a piece of car antenna jammed into the primer hole. And look how I turned out. You'll be fine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Of course I'll be fine, do you think I'd be dumb enough to do anything that wasn't in my own best interests?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

13 INCH DICK posted:

Of course I'll be fine, do you think I'd be dumb enough to do anything that wasn't in my own best interests?

Absolutely :zpatriot:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

:stonk:

I had no intention of this actually happening. I have to say though, you chose the right shirt to wear.

Also I am glad I'm not the only one with a head gasket hanging on my wall.

ExplodingSims, the wiring diagrams are all mismatched, from the wrong years (specifically an issue with the jeep XJ manual, as I recall) and range from dirty lies to a fabulous work of fiction. Among other inaccuracies.

"Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly"
loving liars.
Haynes isn;t half-bad for the first year, but it gets rapidly out of whack as they try (and fail) to update with yearly changes. The first-gen RX-7 manual is hilarious, since there were major changes in '81, and '84, and they try (and again, fail) to cover those changes via appendices. That, and the factory manual for ONE YEAR is thicker than the Haynes that purports to cover 6 years. It's even worse with the one supposedly for my Cutlass, that says it covers '68-'87, which is patently ridiculous, since that's 3 different GENERATIONS of Cutlai. It's like 3/4" thick. The '70 FSM alone is 3" thick, though I will admit it covers E- and B-bodies as well as the A-body. Worse than useless - it's flat out misleading in places.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Thank you for a much needed laugh today Sir 13". Raising the bar for mechanics everywhere.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hahaha, that was hilarious. Please continue to impress the internet with your terrible automotive (and :catdrugs:) decisions.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just smoked carpet nug from under the couch in your honor.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Was not expecting you to follow through on that. Awaiting updates on the car and your declining health.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I see a thread in A/T entitled "Tell me about the symptoms of hantavirus" in the near future.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hooraaaaaaay, histoplasmosis! At least it usually clears itself up.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

13 INCH DICK posted:

I think this should be carved into your headstone.

...by the by, you should order that soon.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
That was probably a terrible health decision, but I've been laughing for the last fifteen minutes straight regardless.

Thanks for making my day not suck, 14-1 INCH DICK.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FYI, this is currently the best thread on something aweful dot com.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SpoopyMonkey posted:

FYI, this is currently the best thread on something aweful dot com.

Not anymore. He's obviously dead from the lack of posts.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Nah I'm still alive and kicking. Was picking up a few extra shifts at firestone for double time pay because the master tech is gone on vacation and my financial needs right now can't turn down that kind of gravy. Without too much time to do too much else to the Civic until parts start showing up at the moment.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My friends came over tonight and made fun of my new car :saddowns:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your :siren: TOP SECRET DOCUMENTS :siren: have shipped but all USPS can tell me is that they will arrive sometime in the next 3 weeks.

I must warn you that I don't believe they were intended to be smoked, either. They're not quite "eyes-only burn before reading" grade secret, but rather far more pedestrian than that, much like those who rely on Haynes manuals for instructions on repairing their daily drivers :haw:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

13 INCH DICK posted:

My friends came over tonight and made fun of my new car :saddowns:

It's ok, your Internet friends like it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Holdbrooks posted:

It's ok, your Internet friends like it.

True enthusiasts will enjoy it. People that claim "car people" just see a dumb econo box.

The Swinemaster
Dec 28, 2005

I like your car, dog. There's a wagon version of similar vintage near me that I always admire.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I think that car is loving awesome, and I know awesome.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hah, I know, it was pretty much just they really liked the Vic and didn't follow my reasoning of 'but it's tiny!'. I like my car, it needs me :3:

I CAN CHANGE IT GUYS IT JUST NEEDS SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You're asking a pitbull not to eat babies?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
God drat this just made my day.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Your car gets plenty of e-love, and everyone knows e-love is better than irl-love :glomp:

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
So did you ever figure out what that was? Did smoking it solve the mystery? That's one of the sickest and most hilarious things I've ever seen on this site.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
LIKE I GIVE A gently caress`#yowlo #cantstopcoughing #420birddookie #highasbirdsyo

Started looking into my carb issues. Found the top plate warped and 3 out of 5 of the top plate screws are stripped completely through, and the 4th has an oversized screw just sort of jammed in. I've got it patched up with some through bolts for now, stumbling remains. This carb might be toast. Saw one of the brass jets had gnarly screwdriver marks on it inside. May just weber this bitch.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Do it, my buddy put a Weber 2bbl on his '79 wagon, same engine I think. Runs like a top ever since.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fucknag posted:

Do it, my buddy put a Weber 2bbl on his '79 wagon, same engine I think. Runs like a top ever since.

2bbl Weber is usually the answer to this question.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

2bbl Weber is usually the answer to this question.

2bbl Weber is usually the answer to any question on a forum populated by surly old drunks.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Wait, I thought if alcohol is brought into the equation then so is Edelbrock?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well also I still have access to the 32/36 from the froot truck, it's got about 20 miles on it and all I need is the adapter plate.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Wait, I thought if alcohol is brought into the equation then so is Edelbrock?

Six degrees of Rhynos' driveway separation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

West SAAB Story posted:

2bbl Weber is usually the answer to any question on a forum populated by surly old drunks.

Well it's not like there's any good fuel injection solutions for this motor, are there? And we've been over the engine swap question.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
You don't need the Haynes, you need this snappily-titled item:

Aimed at non-mechanics, it's less useful than the Haynes in terms of in-depth mechanical info, but much more useful if you're in need of long rambling anecdotes/hand-drawn pictures of horses dressed as geishas/cats playing the banjo, etc. I don't remember buying it, I think it just appeared in my house one day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have the VW version of that book, didn't know a Honda one existed.

I guess I should find some drugs and write one on how to keep your EJ25 alive.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I actually remember the VW one being shockingly helpful at times. I'm amazed there's a Honda version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

Six degrees of Rhynos' driveway separation.

1. I've only bought one car after consulting the bottle.

2. I've bought way more than 6 cars.

• Locked thread