Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Hooked up a vacuum gauge after all was said and done because it actually felt like it had even more pronounced flat spots in the powerband and more obvious stumbling, and vacuum was a rock solid 21" at idle. Rev it up to 3kish by ear and vacuum drops to 20 but holds solid without flutters even when it stumbles. Wrap the throttle and vacuum spikes towards zero and bounces right back to 21" at idle. Carb rebuild is definitely in order I think, it looked like the main jet was leaking a tiny amount of fuel when it was off and the air cleaner was off. I need to get the manual for this thing because there's an open hose on the bottom of the air cleaner and I can't find where it goes but it lets unfiltered air directly in behind the filter.

I don't know man, carbs seem like such a pain in the rear end. Vacuum, setting floats, it's a ton of effort. I think you should do it the smart way:

In all seriousness though, what sort of carburetor is that on there? Are we talking like a "constant depression" SU-style unit which is mechanically simple, or is it more like a "standard" carburetor? The only reason I ask is because I get this odd feeling you're going to find that this thing is a bit more worn down than you might suspect initially, and with ethanol in modern gas it probably has all the old internal seals eaten away. Unless, that is, I'm talking out of my rear end because I'm still not 100% sure on the relationship between old rubber and ethanol.

Either way, I'm jealous of this car. It's unique, you rarely see them and that's worth the scrotum-smashing right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

tater_salad posted:

I didn't think that syphoning gas was still a thing. Also what an rear end in a top hat for taking the gas cap too. Id it was a more modern car youd need to get the cel reset and crap on top of having gas stlolen.

Same here. I'm pretty stupefied that people even bother siphoning gas anymore, unless you live in an area where gas prices are hilariously high still. I always thought it to be a crime of the times, where people are more likely to do it when gas prices are abnormally high and they feel like it's worth it. Trying to siphon it from an old Civic tank would net them at best $40 of gas, I think? Might as well try to siphon it from the Harley down the street. :stare:

loving weird, either way. Is there a way to rig a locking cover for the fuel nozzle either way? I saw on some older pictures of 1st-Gen Civics that some do look to have a key for the outside cover, which would make sense since these cars were introduced during the last gas crunch (and I bet siphoning was a huge problem back then as well) so can you swap up to one of those if you haven't already? Or maybe do a Home Depot mod with a lock and latch combo for the extra "I-don't-give-a-gently caress" look? Somehow chain it shut and live out your car BDSM fantasies?

That last one is my kink, don't shame me

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I vote the Civic, man. Honestly, as hilarious as the Biturbo would be, this is your life we're talking about and I from what I've gathered, the current job isn't exactly what you want right now.

Fix the Civic, have a solid, cool car, and leave the Satanic ritual that is the Biturbo alone until you are happy enough with everything else.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Can... can someone explain to me why a 1st -Gen Civic has a speedo that displays 100? Isn't 85 good enough for that car? :psyduck:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

*gasp* the legends were true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLyxmD_UAK4

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

Having a couple mission patches made up that I'm making specifically to give to friends who work flat rate. Got to earn these stripes haha. Original is a PSYOPS patch I modified, posted in misc chat but since the other projects go here might as well.

"because physical wounds heal" hahaha gently caress.

I'm so glad I just wrench for myself. We had a kid at work have some idiot fucker grease monkey slam on his lugs with an impact made for trains, and he couldn't get the front wheel off for the life of him. So he took it to a garage and their manager agreed to do it all "for a hundred bucks".

I bet that mechanic wanted to kill his manager when they realized they're dealing with a 15-year-old Northeastern rust bucket Honda and that replacing those stripped lugs requires you to pull the hub and replace the bearings. :kheldragar:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

14 INCH DEVITO posted:

If I tuck into a motor swap then how the gently caress am I supposed to get to work

I heard that Camaros aren't powered by their engines but by the amount of Bud Light in the driver's bloodstream and the sound of Whitesnake blasting through the tape deck.

The motor is useless, your "Bitchin'-ness" is the power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

You know a 350 swap should be piss easy and super cheap given their availability.

The real answer here is to make a Camaro version of the Mustang SVO. With the Iron loving Duke. :c00l:

• Locked thread