Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I should finally pay close attention to this since it looks like the Giants are drafting top 5. While I'd be down with the Clown I think I'd prefer an OT if this is a good year for them. Maybe trade down to some desperate team in need of a QB.

With a bunch of Oregon players near the top I'm kind of curious what Chip Kelly is going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Which is really possible

hahaha nah you're going to kick our rear end when we play you

I need to make a new Cry me a rivers comic with Rivers jumping on everyone's graves

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Eli is going to utterly shred our secondary. It will not be pretty.

How is your pass rush? Because Eli was supposed to shred Carolina's too and we all know how that turned out. The Chargers should be favored, the Giants are really bad, and the game is in San Diego. It'll be a lovely game.

troofs posted:

Oh yeah I didn't put a serious comment in here yet:
My dream scenario is the giants trade down a spot or two with a team that wants a QB, take Matthews and get some extra 2nd-3rd round picks in either this draft or firsts in a future draft. I would also be really happy to have Clowney on the giants but I really don't think he's going to fix the team by himself.

Looking at the potential top 5, it looks something with these teams:

Vikings
Bucs
Jags
Giants
Rams?
Texans?

We are the only team in that group with a QB not as a central need. We should be able to get a couple picks out of someone who wants to jump up.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Carolina has an amazing front seven but their DBs did very well outside of it. There were more than a few coverage sacks.

I'm not sure where the Giants will pick though. They're 1-6 and will probably win a few more. Bucs, Jags, Rams, and Texans all look destined to not win again. That means the Giants have to compete against the Vikings, Raiders, Browns, Bills, Cardinals, Titans, and Redskins for the remaining top 10 spots. They could easily have a horrendous record and still fall out of the top 10 this year.

But, the good thing is almost every single one of those teams are in the market for a QB. No matter what, the Giants have trade value this year (they won't trade because they never trade and they'll take some dumb skill position player and ignore the O-line/LB corps again)

The Texans looked capable with Keenum against the best defense in the NFL, I think the texans will win more games than us. That Vikings/Giants game really hit home how bad we are because the vikings played some of the worst football I've ever seen and we still didn't really put them away till late. We are baaaaaaad.

There are a lot of bad teams in the NFL right now but there is no way we escape the top 10, not a loving chance. We could end up at pick 7 or 8 if we get lucky though. Looking at our remaining schedule:

@Eagles - Possible win
Bye
Raiders - Possible Win
Packers - hahahaha
Cowboys - outside chance, depending on who is hurt
@Redskins -Possible Win
@Chargers - outside chance
Seahawks - lol
@Lions - lol
Redskins - Possible Win

We likely won't beat the Redskins twice, and all of these are merely possible wins. There is a very good chance we could lose all of them. We are really, really bad. I smell 4-12.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 25, 2013

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

WampaLord posted:

As a Bucs fan, what gets to be my "Suck for Luck" mantra to repeat as the season goes on?

Be Bad for Bridgewater?

Mess Up for Mariota?

Choke for Clowney?

Get ready for Teddy
Get down for the Clown

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

So where are the Giants drafting now? The Carolina/Pats game isn't going to affect their standing so I'm curious if we are out of the top 10 at this point.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I've never met a bad Bengals fan. I've never even met a Rams fan.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

well. alright then :stare:

Is this really the state of nfl scouting? He has moxie?

Ernie Accorsi described Eli as having a certain magic in his scouting report

I'm not sure it's ever not been this way

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well, the Eagles are good at system fits, but then on occasion you still get the "what the gently caress" pick. Like, Matt Barkley doesn't fit this team in any way whatsoever. Of all 32 teams he could have gone to, he went to the least compatible one. I mean.. I guess it wasn't as bad as Oakland taking Tyler Wilson since he was cut in the preseason, but still. gently caress.

The draft pick that goons laugh at the most in April always tend to bust too. TFF just has a knack for it. It's amazing.

e: this post has no relation to my earlier point, it's just an off tangent

I feel like Chip drafted Barkley solely to embarrass the kid for playing against the Ducks. Now he can ruin him forever. Chip is heartless

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I ask myself that about you.

Incorrectly called penalty on a field goal, wasn't it?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

God I had no idea things were so bad. Can I get you some coffee and blankets or something

:romo:

sorry I just wanted an excuse to use :romo:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

TheChirurgeon posted:

Giants fans really don't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this

All of us? That seems a little unfair

:romo:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Coughlin is leagues better than Garrett but Gilbride and Tom Quinn still suck

I'm actually fond of Perry Fewell and think he's doing the best he can given the circumstances our defense gets put in

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

I was just loving with you on that one

So among active QBs, what's the highest intersection of most skilled with worst QB name? Ben Roethlisberger?

e: Also you forgot Big 12, Ryan Tannehill didn't play for SEC A&M :v:

best name but least skilled is the better discussion.

Rex Grossman

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Gerty posted:

The whitest name since Benedict Cumberbatch.

which is funny because he's black

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Accident Underwater posted:

Did Teo fall because of the championship game or was that combine/imaginary girlfriend stuff?

Both really. His performance in the Championship started the doubts running and then the whole girlfriend thing called his mental aspects into question. His combine performance was just a cherry and everyone started saying "he was always overrated"

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Seriously the Rams should trade their pick to the Redskins for 2 firsts and a 2nd

and the cycle continues

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Excuse me, all mentions of David Carr must be prefaced with the words "Super Bowl Winning QB"

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

If you don't find the fact that David Carr has a ring hilarious then you just aren't a fan of football.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

He was so good in the preseason that I was convinced an Eli injury wouldn't have been a travesty. Thank God nothing happened to test that theory.

Remember that one game when we were resting our starters after a quarter and put Carr in, and he looked so happy just to be playing football again that even the announcers were loving it? That game was great.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

OperaMouse posted:

Nice offseason thread: build a team with current NFL players who played at your college.

Lets see here. Rochester Institute of Technology

*crickets*

What about in other leagues?

*crickets*

What about Coaches?

-Tom Coughlin

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Cowboys kept Monte Kiffin. They deserve no benefit of doubt. We should automatically assume the worst until proven otherwise. They will take a safety in the 5th round.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Or Joe Flacco.

Wait you said good. :smug:

You just lit the Sour Diesel signal

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

bewbies posted:

So I was looking hard at quarterbacks today. I'm just going to hang my rear end out here. I think Manziel is the best prospect in the class. Then Bridgewater, then Bortles, then Carr. This could change when these guys have their pro day workouts but...yeah. I think the dude's skill set has a great chance of translating to the NFL.

Feel free to mark this post for review in 4 years.

Can we get a more detailed explanation of your thought process as to why?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

bewbies posted:

Allow me to sound like an ESPN blowhard for a second

I am starting to believe that Manziel has "it". That is, the ability to...slow down time, or something. It is a pretty unique thing in an athlete; I'd offer Wayne Gretzky or John Stockton as other guys who had..."it". His pocket mobility/awareness and ability to throw accurately on the move are just incredible, and I think that will translate to the NFL pretty well. It also makes the arm strength and height concerns a little less pronounced.

Bridgewater and Bortles are much more traditional prospects (and they're both easily top-10 quality) but the more I watch of Manziel the more I think he's the one from the class who has a chance to be something pretty spectacular. Gruden compares him to Steve Young and I kind of get the comparison. He won't have the arm or size of Young but his agility in the pocket is even better. He certainly has a lower floor than Bridgewater though, and probably Bortles as well.

Also goons really really seem to have a deep personal dislike of the guy.

If Manziel turns into a star I'm saving this post and quoting it whenever TFF gets in a stats argument

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Didn't Bortles have a pretty good combine while Manziel didn't throw and teddy b didn't even run? Seems like he was the highest profile QB to do anything at the combine, which might contribute to his current mock draft levels. He strikes me as a guy who will slide further back into place as we get closer. I'm thinking late first round ultimately.

But I'm talking out of my butt and don't know poo poo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Sigh, do I really have to requote my name requirements because I thought we already went over this. He has two short names that are an alliteration and his first name is Blake. He's going to be a fantastic QB.

It's just that

I mean

his last name is Bortles

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

President Bortles sounds a lot like President Bartlet guess it'll work out

It's like the Goofus to Bartlet's Gallant

President Bartlet eases tense situation with hostile nation by agreeing to helpful diplomatic compromise

President Bortles alienates ally by making inappropriate gestures about former ally's past leaders

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Someone broke his brain

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I'm seeing a lot of people talking about Ebron to the Giants and I gotta say, I'd be okay with that

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

I sure as hell wouldn't be.

Why not?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Elotana posted:

I just don't want us to draft Bortles. Anyone But Bortles 2014

You heard the man, Derek Carr it is

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

You must have loved 2009 when Monroe, Oher, Smith, and Smith came out. That draft also had Beatty/Britton as fringe first rounders, Alex Mack and Eric Wood, and Levitre/Vasquez. It was literally a goon wet dream draft.

Last year was the real goon wet dream. Fisher, Joekel, warmack, fluker, Pugh, long, cooper, and lane Johnson, all in the first round. I might even be forgetting someone.

And the center Dallas took whose name I forget

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

Daltos is still all about the name tool

Except that while Blake Bortles has all kinds of strong name elements, his name remains Bortles. Bortles.

It betrays everything.

Though I look forward to him starting so I can call him the BB gun

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

bhsman posted:

That's such a unintimidating name and there's a guy called the Red Rifle in the league.

That was kind of my point. I'm not high on Bortles.

Also BB Gun is still somehow less stupid sounding than Bortles.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

but Reddit doesn't exist

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Doltos posted:

Why do you think that? Granted most smoke screens a month away from the draft are lies but if you're dismissing this one because of Carr's perceived talent then I'll have to disagree with you. Carr has a NFL skillset, he's not that far off performance wise from the top 3 QBs in this draft. A first round selection for him isn't crazy.

Will he be good in the NFL? That's for his career to decide. He's just a pretty good starting point right now.

I think Carr really is in many ways being hindered by his name. There is potential there to be a good NFL QB but everyone remembers Super Bowl winning QB David Carr and shudders.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Giants 2004:
1. Rivers. Giants could smell the Ringless-ness on him and got a real QB instead
2. Snee. I think that worked out
4. Reggie Torbor - didn't do anything of note
5. Gibril Wilson - Helped us win a super bowl then made Miami sad
6. Jamaar Taylor - WR who did nothing
7. Drew Strojny - LT who did nothing
7. Isaac Hilton - DE who did nothing

Lotta fluff at the bottom there but we got a franchise QB and a franchise guard with the first two picks

Giants 2005:
2. Corey Webster - Caught Favre's last pass as a packer, owned pretty hard for a little while
3. Justin Tuck - Tuck Rules
4. Brandon Jacobs - Owned pretty hard for a little while, made 49er fans unhappy, which makes him cooler
5. Eric Moore - a nobody

3 imapct players in a draft with only 4 picks, Ernie loving nailed that one

Giants 2006:
1. Kiwi - hasn't lived up to potential but he's been more than servicable, good pick and a great guy
2. Sinorice Moss - KILL IT WITH FIRE
3. Gerris Wilkinson - was on the team for a while simply due to lack of anything good at LB
4. Barry Cofield - Solid pick, helped us win a bowl and now doing well with the Skins. Wish we could have kept him
4. Guy Whimper - Was on the team for a few years, now on the Steelers. Lamest name for a football player ever?
5. Charlie Peprah - never played for us, was a Packer
7. Gerrick McPhearson - can't remember a thing about him

Pretty solid drafting overall. Outside loving Sinorice Moss, gently caress that guy

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Krackleburt posted:

Brock Osweiler, I guess? That's about it.

edit:

Holy poo poo that 2010 QB draft class was baaaaaad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Honestly how often do injuries happen during pro day type workouts? I think people might be overreacting to something we don't see happen very often.

• Locked thread