Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So many new tracks and cars and features :swoon: It's really nice to see that the track creator has seen even more improvements, and to see that they've even improved the time of day transitions and everything else is really exciting. It's also nice to see that a huge chunk of the tracks also support weather/night racing or both.

I'm really interested to see what new tracks are brought to the game via DLC (El Capitan and Midfield please), but as it is they're certainly providing a ridiculous amount of content and features as it is. It's like a giant automotive sandbox :3:

meatcookie posted:

Still kinda ticked that I missed out on Spa DLC.

All the GT5 DLC is part of GT6 now, so Spa etc. will be on the disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think your best bet for Watkins Glen is Project CARS, which will be hitting PS3/360/PC and as far as I know they've also secured funding to put the game out on PS4 too? It looks really good from all the footage of the game that I've seen and like GT has some great dynamic weather and time of day effects, and a really great track list.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I was just looking around the GT6 website and noticed a couple of cool things. Firstly, it looks like nitrous has returned (:v:) and I also noticed that it appears damage to your car is now persistent between races, until you go to GT Auto and get it repaired (there's quite a lot of options for this as well, which is cool). I also noticed this, which has me ridiculously excited:

quote:

Course Maker

This feature, available at a later stage through an update, will allow you to create your own custom tracks that can be driven in the game. Additionally, in another update we will add the possibility to generate a track by capturing the GPS coordinate data of a mobile app while you are driving that course. This GPS-generated tracks will be available in the game as playable content.

:swoon:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It's also worth remembering that tracks made with the course maker in GT5 were able to be shared with friends online, and also raced online as well :) Combine that with the feature having integration with the weather and time of day features of the game, and the game has insane replayability. I'm really interested in seeing what new course maker locations there are in GT6, and also if they're going to enable point to point races as well as traditional closed circuit designs too.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Awesome Welles posted:

And GT3 had the best soundtrack. :colbert:

GT5 had a custom soundtrack feature that I imagine will also be present in GT6, so you should be able to copy the GT3 soundtrack over to your PS3 and listen to that while you race :)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Are you sure that improved sounds will be patched into GT6? All I recall was Kaz saying 'maybe' and I'm a little puzzled about people being under the impression that it's a definite. If you buy GT6 do so because of what you know about the game for certain, not promises of what might possibly maybe be patched in at a later date because you could end up disappointed.

If the engine sounds of GT5 bugged you, then they'll bug you in GT6 as well. It doesn't bother me because I always like to listen to music when driving or playing a racing game, but if sound is really important then you might as well wait for Project CARS to launch on PS4 next fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23nkQBoPyK4

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Actually it looks like GT6 won't have the Top Gear Test Track, since it's mysteriously absent from the track list on the official website. Considering Turn 10's partnership with the show for Forza 5 and that they played dirty with the Ferrari license before they lost it, you can probably guess what's happened there. It's a shame that they can't play nice, but oh well.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Microsoft did. They were pretty big dicks to other developers with it because they wanted Forza to be the only game on Xbox 360 to have cars from Ferrari. I recall some Atari devs and EA devs (I think) making a fuss about it a while back, and then surprise surprise EA started being dicks with the Porsche license in retaliation :v:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I was really disappointed when I saw that there's all those preorder/special edition cars for the game because I hate when games pull that poo poo, but it looks like they're just specially tuned/painted versions of cars that are already in the game anyways? I'm paranoid since the Forza games keep locking away cool cars for people who cough up extra cash for the special edition only, and it's such a lovely business practice.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Oh well, at least it's not all day one DLC and there's still plenty of new cars and tracks in the base game anyways, so if they drop some tracks or whatever in a month or two it's not as offensive. I'm starting to really sour on DLC as a whole though because when I stop to think about all the DLC I've bought for various games throughout this console generation, I must have dropped at least $500 which is just stupid.

My most recent offenses for dumb DLC purchases are the season passes for Halo 4 and Gears of War Judgment, holy poo poo was that a colossal waste of money :( Also snagged the season passes for The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite which have been okay so far I guess?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I know that was true at one point, but I thought they took that option away eventually? No idea if that'll work in GT6.

I think they might have, yeah. I remember telling a friend to skip buying the DLC since he could just join online lobbies to race on the tracks without owning it, and when he went to try it he said it didn't work. This was quite a while after the DLC came out though, about a year or so if I recall correctly.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GT5 lets you share tracks you've created with other people and also race them online too, so I think it's a safe assumption that GT6 will retain the same functionality given that it's already integrated. I think the real question will be if they make sharing cars/tunes/tracks with people a little more intuitive, which I'm hopeful of considering the vastly improved menu system of GT6 and the supposed integration of car clubs for people to create and join. There's no real way of knowing until the game actually releases, though.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Falken posted:

Scotland is a pretty fantastic place to own a car.

After watching Skyfall and seeing Bond drive an Aston Martin through the countryside up there, I'm inclined to agree. It looks like there's some gorgeous scenery and long stretches of open road to enjoy.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the lack of liveries is more a case of them pushing the PS3 incredibly hard as it is already. It's worth remembering that GT5 and GT6 run at a very high native resolution (not quite 1080p, but still much higher than 720p) while striving for 60fps, 16 cars on track, dynamic weather and dynamic time of day, and trying to work custom liveries on top of all of that would likely be a complete nightmare.

I think that they've tried as well, since years ago Kazunori outlined a list of features he wanted to integrate into GT and one of the bullet points was custom liveries. He's managed to integrate most of the other points on the list if I recall correctly, but liveries has remained elusive. The guy definitely wants to integrate them into GT though, I think he's just prioritized features such as weather, night racing and a course creator over them, which is fair enough I think. I'm fully expecting a custom livery system to be integrated when they push out a GT game on PS4.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Apparently according to Top Gear and a couple other sources, Polyphony Digital have been saying that they hope to get GT7 out for PS4 within a year?! Seems kinda crazy, but apparently some guy who's been known for leaking stuff accurately (not CBOAT, someone called Thuway I think?) said that he saw a really impressive GT7 tech demo running on PS4, of a car driving in the snow at night. It will be interesting to see if they can manage to get their PS4 title done as soon as they hope to, and how it will stack up in regards to features and content. They seem to be in a pretty good groove right now though, especially with how much new content GT6 is seeing (and every new track featuring dynamic time of day and weather) so I'm hopeful it will be pretty decent.

MUFFlNS fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 22, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I think GT5 would have been fine in regards to content without standard cars, because there were plenty of new tracks/cars/features to carry the game regardless, and stuff such as dynamic weather, time of day and a course generator really fleshed out the experience and provided a huge leap over GT4 and the competition, especially when taking into account all the other stuff like grid size, cockpit view and damage etc.

Like ISCI said, the problems were design-related and a general lack of direction (well, that and crappy audio) that bogged the game down. There's a lot of problems ranging from the serious to the silly (e.g. great tracks never appearing in career mode, while others are repeated way too much) and nonsensical (used cars, B-Spec etc.) that really dragged the experience down, especially as they started to pile up. The game certainly isn't perfect and has a lot of room for improvement, but I think that when it comes to content and features that are offered up, PD has done a really great job, they just need someone to slap Kaz upside the head and remind him that GT is a game first and foremost.

I think they're starting to figure that out though, for example the Seasonal Events in GT5 bombarding players with so many credits that money might as well not be a part of the game at all when you can earn millions in minutes, and GT6 is apparently doing away with the XP system entirely. Who knows though? GT6 could introduce a whole new and exciting world of problems that we never dreamed of :v:

When it comes to singleplayer though, I think all games in this genre are just destined to have really lovely career modes. They all suck with the exception of Shift 2 Unleashed which had great singleplayer, but the physics completely ruined it. I still think Shift would have been better than both GT and Forza were it not for the physics gently caress-ups, which is why I'm more excited for Project CARS than anything else right now.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

whoisjasonk posted:

Oh man. I got burned so bad by GT5, and just got burned by Forza 5 (don't pick on me), but I still kinda want this game. I just don't know if I'll have the time to play it. I'm already looking at having to quit my job and start racing for 20 hours a day in Forza 5 if I'm ever going to get that sweet Ford Fiesta unlocked...

You'd be best waiting to see how the game is a few weeks after launch rather than going in blind then. GT5 throws so many credits at the player that there might as well be no money in the game at all, you can earn millions in a single race and go absolutely nuts buying as many ridiculously priced cars as you want.

With GT6 however, they're introducing something similar to Forza 5 where you can purchase in-game credits with real money. Nobody knows if they will force players to grind for cash in the game to promote micro-transactions, or continue with the current system of showering the player with credits and just offering up credit packs for people who are really impatient.

It looks like GT6 will be a really good game, but until people can play it for themselves (and put some decent time in, at that) then nobody knows for sure what weird/dumb/awful quirks the game might have. It seems that Polyphony Digital has done a great job of listening to complaints people had with GT5, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting for a while before picking the game up.

I honestly think that gaming has reached the point now where buying any game at launch is complete madness, and it's something I'm making a point of avoiding from now on.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Lyer posted:

There's a bunch of mods I've downloaded in addition (mainly cosmetic stuff), but it's this mod in particular that makes the driving a lot more fun: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=36868

I was just looking around at the various Shift 2 mods and I find it pretty crazy that a lot of people have manually imported cars from Forza 4 on the Xbox 360 into the PC version of Shift 2 :stare:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ah, so they did add all the DLC from GT5 into GT6? That's nice of them, other developers would expect you to pay a second time and hike the price up too, so kudos to Polyphony Digital for not being scumbags :)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

L_Harrison posted:

That engine sound is so awful. I am still reserving any hopes that it will be changed and changed for the better.

Well I don't think it's wise to buy anything in the hopes that maybe something you don't like about it might change at some point in the future. If the engine sounds are enough to put you off the game, just don't buy it, because coughing up the cash in the hopes that maybe it might change one day is pointless and will almost assuredly lead to disappointment.

Buy the game based on what it is, not what it might be at some point in the future. It's like buying Call of Duty and thinking, "Well gee, maybe they'll overhaul the audio to make the guns sound more realistic in the future..." and six months later you realize you've just wasted your money. Save your cash and who knows, if they do release an update for the game that improves the engine sounds in the future, then you'll have saved some money in the process and might even have some fancy updated version with DLC bundled on the disc to buy instead (like GT5 Academy Edition).

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Wow. 29 free DLC cars, all entirely brand new? That's awesome :)

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Are they ditching Seasonal Events with GT6? That would be really lovely of them if so, since they were not only a really clever addition to GT5 (which resulted in a never-ending career mode basically, which was really innovative) but they also bombarded players with so many credits that you never ever had to worry about money in the game.

If the Seasonal Events are gone, or are still around but the payouts have been drastically lowered, then that's really lovely when taking into account the introduction of microtransactions for credits. Hopefully when the game actually launches someone will clarify what the setup is, but it would be really disappointing to see them take a step back like that after getting it so right with GT5.

Besides, these games sell what, 10 million copies each? It's not like they need to nickel and dime their fanbase when it's one of the most popular franchises in gaming. Just let your customers have fun with the game they paid $60 for.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Falken posted:

I'm so looking forward to this, and my PS3 still hasn't arrived!

If you have nostalgia for any other PS racing franchises, then I recommend snagging a copy of Wipeout HD (and the Fury expansion pack) off the online store when your console arrives. Nothing at all like GT obviously, but still an absolutely fantastic racing game and sadly the last major release in the franchise due to Sony Liverpool no longer existing. If you have any fond memories of playing Wipeout & 2097 back in the PSX days, you'll love Wipeout HD, and Zone Mode is something everybody should experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNbrQM5e54

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Still unsure if I want this or just wanna wait until GT7, is there any early reviews or the like or not till tomorrow I assume?

In a recent interview (with Eurogamer I think?) Kaz said that he hopes to get GT7 out sometime next year. I can't see it happening myself but maybe he'll manage it? Either ways considering how pretty much every single game ever released these days has some kind of problem or issue at launch, you have absolutely nothing to lose by waiting a few weeks regardless to see how things pan out with GT6 and what thoughts/opinions people have once the initial shine of playing a new game wears off. I tend to not bother reading reviews (I prefer to watch gameplay footage and base decisions off that) myself, but I'd place more weight in what people who've spent a decent amount of time with the game have to say after spending a while playing, rather than a reviewer who's probably put in three or four hours and can't really provide an informed opinion either way.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

slidebite posted:

These "Coffee Break Challenges" annoy the hell out of. You have to run over 300 cones within 20 seconds for gold and I find it pretty much impossible. I am getting annoyed.

Oh great, cone challenges have creeped into Gran Turismo now as well? Why do developers keep putting this trash in racing games?!

I just want to race cars :negative:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah the game still has what, 800 standard cars? At least the selection of premium cars is well-rounded however, offering up cars of all types from all eras. I'm disappointed that some of the cooler rally cars along with everything from RUF have remained standard though, especially since the Porsche license is still locked down, you'd think they'd prioritize their RUF selection for premium upgrades.

Speaking of cars, is it true that they had to pull the Ferrari F1 cars from the game? It was nice having them in GT5 and it would be a shame to see them go.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think the poor engine sounds has a much simpler explanation to be honest, that their sound engineers just aren't very good at their job. Kaz knows that people hate the engine sounds, and I've no doubt he thinks they're rubbish too considering what cars he owns and his own on-track experience. If PD were a western studio I've no doubt their audio team would have been replaced by now, but Japanese companies have a different philosophy with that kinda thing I think?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

TabulaRasa posted:

In GT5 I always wished I could race as part of the B-Spec team. I mean I took all the time to level them up and all. It would be cool to participate in an endurance run for like 15 laps, then pit and switch to a B-Spec guy to take over for a while and then step back in later.

I'm not 100% because I never really touched B-Spec mode, but I think one of the updates to GT5 actually allowed you to do that, pit-in during an endurance race and let one of your B-Spec drivers take over for a while.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, a great thing about the GT series is that Kaz just thinks of the coolest things to integrate into a racing game. Wonder what F1 cars would be like without regulations? Well here's what we teamed-up with Red Bull to design! Ever wanted to drive around on the moon? Go for it! Wanna race go-karts around the Nordschliefe at night in the rain? It's your funeral! :allears:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think if people complained about it enough PD would probably add some kind of filter to the dealership so people can view premium cars only. Seems like a sensible (and very simple) update to make, and would be very useful for people who race from cockpit view only and don't want to deal with ugly black standard interiors.

On the subject of interiors, I wish that games like this would allow for cockpit customization as much as they do exterior and mechanical customization. I think it would be really nice if the whole upgrading a crappy car thing was complimented by cockpit upgrades as you gradually turned the car into a racing machine. The only game I've ever seen do something like that is Shift 2 Unleashed, where the entire interior of cars would change as you upgraded them, which was really cool in my opinion.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I recall a very recent interview with Kaz (sometime within the past couple weeks) where he was asked about Porsche and stated that he's waiting for EA's license to expire, which will apparently be sometime soon. I like to think that Porsche is smart enough to never sign an exclusivity agreement with anyone again, especially since they apparently have a really good relationship with Polyphony Digital and want their cars in Gran Turismo.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

We've been hearing about that license expiring sometime soon for years now. It's never going to happen.

If Duke Nukem Forever can see daylight and Guns n Roses can put out Chinese Democracy, then anything can happen :v:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think it's hard to say if microtransactions have impacted the economy of GT6 since the previous games were always the same anyway. With GT5 however they introduced high paying seasonal events and daily login bonuses that threw ridiculous amounts of credits at the player, and the seasonal events in GT6 pay nowhere near the same amount of credits.

On one hand you can say previous games were always pretty grindy (until GT5 introduced seasonals and bonuses) but on the other hand you can also see how the seasonal payouts in GT6 have been drastically decreased as well. I guess it's still early days though? One thing you can count on PD for is regular updates and adjustments so it seems reasonable enough to reserve judgment to see how things pan out, but I'm disappointed that the first seasonal events lack decent payouts.

I'm in the camp that thinks games like this should just completely do away with any form of restricting content in the first place though, and just make all cars/upgrades etc. completely free so people can have fun with everything right from the start. If I'm playing a video game I just want to have fun, not work for however long it takes to earn the privilege of having fun. It's the same with games like Call of Duty where you have to grind away for however long it takes just to unlock the guns and perks that you want to use, I think it's silly.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I really liked those 20mil cars in GT5 but I only ever used them thanks to exploiting the birthday glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

I never really got into GT5 or any of the GT games because the first section of the game when you have to race a bunch with an awful Honda shitbox really bores me so I don't get to any of the exciting cars (plus the handling feels... odd and I could never put my finger on why...); but the whole Mario Andretti thing really caught my eyek so I was wondering if GT6 is worth getting as someone who likes racing games; but hasn't really liked past GT games?

If you didn't like any of the past GT games then buying GT6 would be a pretty bad idea I think, especially because the Mario Andretti thing that you're interested in isn't available yet and nobody knows what it will actually consist of content-wise. I think you'd be pretty disappointed if you bought the game and then that whole promotion ended up being something lame anyways, you'd have just ended up wasting your money.

I think your best bet is to just wait and see what happens with that whenever it comes out, and if you're still interested then you'll probably be able to pick up a cheap used copy of GT6 at the time. You'll still have to deal with the aspects of the franchise that you don't like however.

• Locked thread